Pro1x + LineageOS Readiness

On 8/26/2022 at 7:13 PM, toast said:

You never got an answer from fxtec regarding this? I suppose you didnt, since you didnt post it here, but still just wanted to ask, seeing as it has been 2 full working weeks now.

I haven't. It's ticket 15944 and I'm still waiting...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LineageOS is a group project, and support for the Pro1-X wouldn't have been possible without Georg Veichtlbauer and@npjohnson's efforts. And of course we built upon @tdm's work on the Pro1 as well.

There's finally a build of LOS that works and I got myself a test build with it. It's still too early and barely works enough for the hardware but it's a great light at the end of the tunnel for Linea

FYI:  https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/lineageos-20-for-pro1-x.4543997/  

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 10:22 PM, brunoais said:

There's finally a build of LOS that works and I got myself a test build with it.

Is there a publicly accessible development branch? Or is that test-ROM you mentioned available for download somewhere?

My Pro1-X should arrive soon and I do not intend to get engaged with Google-infested stock-Android.

Edited by claude0001

10 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

Is there a publicly accessible development branch?

No

8 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

Or is that test-ROM you mentioned available for download somewhere?

I'll send to you in a PM because I don't want this to grow out of proportion badly. Many things don't work or are missing (more missing than not working) in that build and I don't want to be pointed at.

8 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

My Pro1-X should arrive soon and I do not intend to get engaged with Google-infested stock-Android.

There's a non-GMS v2.1.5 (beta) build I'm using which is running rather well and no noticeable new issues from my end. You want?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, brunoais said:

There's a non-GMS v2.1.5 (beta) build I'm using which is running rather well and no noticeable new issues from my end. You want?

Found this thread following your suggestion:

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/3670-pro1x-stock-android-non-gms-build/?do=findComment&comment=63768

Pretty cool. Sounds like a good interim solution before we get official LineageOS support. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Like 2
On 9/30/2022 at 9:22 AM, brunoais said:

There's finally a build of LOS that works and I got myself a test build with it. It's still too early and barely works enough for the hardware but it's a great light at the end of the tunnel for LineageOS on Pro¹-X

Sorry if I've missed something, I've been trying to follow the development of alternate OS options but sometimes these conversations are bit of a blur.  How far along is Lineage, do we have working calls and sms?  Everything else would be a bonus 😀

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Community,

As we all are aware, the Pro1X project has been facing many treacherous delays, which includes the delivery of Lineage OS (despite being advertised as ready out of the box).

I received my device, and I want to help. 

What can I do to help speed things up? (I am not strong on the technical side)

Cheers!

6 hours ago, azamrazman said:

which includes the delivery of Lineage OS (despite being advertised as ready out of the box).

Indeed.
I do not know if you are aware of the full story, but the Pro1X was originally intended as a slight variation of the Pro1, with more ram and in a blue cabinet. FxTec was swindled by those they ordered and paid the 835 chipset from. And it was impossible to source them elsewhere as Qualcomm had stopped production, so they had to redesign the whole inner phone for a different chipset. And as one side effect the existing software will not work on the Pro1X as it ended....

If your question is how you can support LineageOS development, I guess you should start here, if you mean financially, they e.g. got a paypal link at the bottom: https://paypal.me/LineageOS

After trying to actually use my Pro1-X as a phone, I am now convinced that community devs simply refuse to invest further effort into a Lineage port until at least the most blatant bugs in the device are ironed-out by the manufacturer.

Few will want to invest time and effort into a new OS for a device that does not work on the most fundamental level of a phone. If the Pro1-X's connectivity problems are indeed related to the modem driver, we'll just have to wait until F(x)tec pump out a new stock to base on. If the issues are hardware-related, the device is practically DOA for many users anyway ...

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

If the Pro1-X's connectivity problems are indeed related to the modem driver, we'll just have to wait until F(x)tec pump out a new stock to base on. If the issues are hardware-related, the device is practically DOA for many users anyway ...

Yes, that is the question.

• Like 1

Well, TBH, the Pro1 wasn't a truly great phone, which is why I stopped trying to use it as one, and they made Lineage for it anyway.  I suppose, from what people are saying, the Pro1x is worse (although whatever the problem, it wasn't picked up by the beta testers).  I don't know since I don't have one. However, since I have no real plans to use my Pro1x as a phone, I really hope they push ahead with a version of Lineage for it and make phone/modem/whatever fixes later.  Selfish, yes I know.  ;-)

5 hours ago, Hook said:

Well, TBH, the Pro1 wasn't a truly great phone, which is why I stopped trying to use it as one, and they made Lineage for it anyway.  I suppose, from what people are saying, the Pro1x is worse (although whatever the problem, it wasn't picked up by the beta testers).  I don't know since I don't have one. However, since I have no real plans to use my Pro1x as a phone, I really hope they push ahead with a version of Lineage for it and make phone/modem/whatever fixes later.  Selfish, yes I know.  😉

I think most of your problems with Pro1 were caused by the fact you live in the USA and telephony systems generally work a bit different way there.

I am using my Pro1 as a daily driver together with LineageOS and it works well for me.
However, network coverage is relatively good here.

Network coverage is basically in par with my Motorola G6 (which was my previous phone), however, that also could has been a bit better... but nothing huge problems for me.
WiFi works well but it is true it sometimes drops connection then reconnects...
LTE works well, GPS works well (much better than it was in my Moto G6), bluetooth works well.

Regarding telephony, sometimes I had complains about silent voice and I have a friend whose phone has a lot of noise while speaking with me but not by using another phone at his side or at my side. As a comparison, there is no noise at all speaking with either of his phones and Pro1X - I think it is something to do with communication protocols somewhere.

I don't really have experience with Pro1X as usually it does not accept calls and usually it also can not initiate calls...

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, VaZso said:

I think most of your problems with Pro1 were caused by the fact you live in the USA and telephony systems generally work a bit different way there.

Well, yes, Verizon was a PITA, but it worked fine on AT&T (that was back when the techs at AT&T got excited when I showed them the Pro1).  My main two problems were that without a headset, calls were almost as loud as a speaker phone so there was little privacy and the fact that for some reason it would not use the car speakers/microphone when connected to BT so I couldn't get hands free. I freely admit I had neither the technical knowledge nor the patience to see if I could work through to a solution to these two problems and these may have been corrected in later stock and/or Lineage updates, but I never went back once I discovered the practical solution of using a Moto slab for phone/ car-phone and the Pro 1 as a pocket computer for everything else. 🙂

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Hook said:

without a headset, calls were almost as loud as a speaker phone so there was little privacy

It was an initial problem which was improved in later firmware.
Maybe LineageOS has also improved it a bit or at least now I don't have this problem.

20 minutes ago, Hook said:

and the fact that for some reason it would not use the car speakers/microphone when connected to BT so I couldn't get hands free.

Fortunately, I don't have problems with my car BT handsfree but there may be difference regarding protocols.
Anyway, it also works together using standalone Bluetooth handsfree unit and I have also tried it using Samsung Gear S3 Frontier where handsfree mode worked.

Maybe you ran into a compatibility issue...

20 hours ago, azamrazman said:

Hi Community,

F(x)tec IGG dropped a pretty huge revelation, quote "LineageOS 20 is now able to boot up on a Pro1-X with Android 13! ". 

That being said, how has the historical timeline been, from  "Boot Up" stage to "Stable Release" stage?

It was about half a year between we saw the first unofficial v16 for the Pro1 to an officially released 16.0. I have no idea if that is representative or not. I hope that at the least some logic (e.g. around the keyboard) can be reused from the Pro1, and thus simplifying the development.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:52 AM, Sean McCreary said:

As a blanket policy, LineageOS does not provide estimates of release dates, etc. However, all of our development work is public, published on GitHub and our gerrit. What I can say is that we have a skillful and experienced team of developers interested in working on LineageOS for the Pro1-X.

While all our work is public, we don't necessarily post a neon sign saying, "Break ur phone here!" 😉 The Pro1-X work is moderately stable now and has been moved to the official LineageOS org on GitHub:

https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_fxtec_pro1x
https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_fxtec_sm6115

You are welcome to use these for your own builds, but please be prepared debug any problems yourself. There are a few outstanding fixes on our gerrit, esp. this topic:

https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:pro1x-old_kbd_driver

Also, please remember that although we work for free, we do not work on your schedule. Do not complain to LineageOS about the software shipped on the Pro1-X.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Hook locked this topic