Pro¹ X, stock Android does not remember to use alternative launcher

Anyone else experiencing this? After setting up Nova (Prime) Launcher and making it default, I still frequently get asked which launcher I want to use when the home screen is about to come up.

Edited by Rob. S.
1 hour ago, Rob. S. said:

Anyone else experiencing this? After setting up Nova (Prime) Launcher and making it default, I still frequently get asked which launcher I want to use when the home screen is about to come up.

Nope, have not seen that. A guess, could Nova be shot down by something? Try another alternative, to see if it is Nova-specific. (I'm currently trying "Action Launcher")

4 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

I assume you have gone to Settings, apps, Advanced, default apps and specifically set your "Home app" to Nova?  I don't usually have to do that with Android 11 and before, but I did have to do it with Lineage 19, so I wonder if Google has changed something up.

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 2

Just a wild guess. Could it be that the Nova process is stopped (or perhaps even crashes?) and the system fall backs to using another launcher?
It could be the battery optimiser or other software that 'cleans up' background bloat, that tears your nova down too?

Next time you see, before reselecting, try to go to apps, and see if the Nova is stoppable, or already is stopped.

You might need to make sure it can not be optimised, if it does not support Doze properly. (Under the apps, and the app, advanced, and battery, see battery restriction and battery optimisation).

• Thanks 1
On 8/15/2022 at 9:24 PM, EskeRahn said:

A guess, could Nova be shot down by something? Try another alternative, to see if it is Nova-specific. (I'm currently trying "Action Launcher")

On 8/16/2022 at 8:41 AM, EskeRahn said:

Could it be that the Nova process is stopped (or perhaps even crashes?) and the system fall backs to using another launcher?
It could be the battery optimiser or other software that 'cleans up' background bloat, that tears your nova down too?

Tried Lawnchair, same thing happens. Looked at Nova's settings which indeed was 'battery optimised', but disabling that didn't help.

On 8/16/2022 at 8:41 AM, EskeRahn said:

Next time you see, before reselecting, try to go to apps, and see if the Nova is stoppable, or already is stopped.

When the selection dialog appears, it's system modal, but when I choose another launcher to go on with and then check Nova's info, it still is stoppable.

My suspicion for now is that copying the Pro1's configuration over to the Pro1X (from Google's backups with the Google app on setting up the phone) carried over some hidden settings which are not compatible, even though both are on Android 11 (only that the Pro1 obviously was running LineageOS and the Pro1X stock Android)...

That said, @sdl is your setup copied over from another phone, or is it a fresh installation?

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
On 8/15/2022 at 8:13 PM, Rob. S. said:

I get asked on every boot, so to me it looks as if some setting is not persisted.

• Like 1

What worked for me was do "freeze" the Quickstep launcher using Titanium Backup.

What should work without root: adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.android.launcher3

https://www.xda-developers.com/disable-system-app-bloatware-android/

But this breaks some homescreen gestures e.g. swipe up for app overview ...

Edited by Benni
10 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

My suspicion for now is that copying the Pro1's configuration over to the Pro1X (from Google's backups with the Google app on setting up the phone) carried over some hidden settings which are not compatible, even though both are on Android 11 (only that the Pro1 obviously was running LineageOS and the Pro1X stock Android)...

I'll just note that I never do this.  I don't trust Google back ups, precisely because, especially with a new phone, I worry about bringing in some element that is no longer compatible.  I don't enable Google backups and I never allow Google to reinstall apps on a new or wiped phone.  I will use app backups, so I'll let Nova use a saved Nova backup, and I will let Aquamail import it's own account backups, etc.  I just don't trust Google and will do the extra work myself to retrieve and set up apps.  Often results in house cleaning as I realize I don't need certain apps.  😄

This is also why I don't dirty flash between LOS versions. New major version, I wipe and rebuild.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Hook said:

I'll just note that I never do this.  I don't trust Google back ups, precisely because, especially with a new phone, I worry about bringing in some element that is no longer compatible.  I don't enable Google backups and I never allow Google to reinstall apps on a new or wiped phone.  I will use app backups, so I'll let Nova use a saved Nova backup, and I will let Aquamail import it's own account backups, etc.  I just don't trust Google and will do the extra work myself to retrieve and set up apps.  Often results in house cleaning as I realize I don't need certain apps.  😄

This is also why I don't dirty flash between LOS versions. New major version, I wipe and rebuild.

I did a restore using google backups and have the same issue.

• Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Hook said:

I'll just note that I never do this.  I don't trust Google back ups, precisely because, especially with a new phone, I worry about bringing in some element that is no longer compatible

A well founded decision. It's just not compatible with my laziness 😉

6 hours ago, Benni said:

I did a restore using google backups and have the same issue.

Bummer, that strengthens the suspicion... And given that other Launchers also suffer from the issue, it might not even help to uninstall and reinstall Nova... but that's what I did just now. Deleted its data before uninstalling just in case. We'll see how it goes.

• Thanks 2
19 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

it might not even help to uninstall and reinstall Nova... but that's what I did just now. Deleted its data before uninstalling just in case. We'll see how it goes.

Like I feared, it doesn't help...

• Sad 2

I seems this isn't even a Pro1X thing, it's an Android 11 thing that happened on other phones, too, after 11 came out. 

I'm carefully optimistic that (one of) the fixes mentioned here might work; at least I haven't been asked which launcher I want for the whole day now:

1. "If you set the [stock] launcher as default, then go in and make your preferred launcher default, it seems to fix it."
  2. "Go to app settings for Nova Launcher and check the permissions it has. Give it permission to modify system settings."

I didn't test between the two, so I don't know which of them actually helped (assuming that it is fixed), but if I had to guess I'd say number two, as I'm quite sure that I already tried number one before, to no avail.

• Thanks 2
On 8/21/2022 at 1:45 AM, Rob. S. said:

Like I feared, it doesn't help...

No, i didn't use backup at all and haven't used nova for a while so it was a clean fresh install for me.

Though to me it appears only to happen after system boot. But also could be after deep sleep? Not sure if i tested that while having nova set as launcher. On stock launcher and nova just installed it only asks on reboot.

9 minutes ago, Jormsen said:

Though to me it appears only to happen after system boot. But also could be after deep sleep? Not sure if i tested that while having nova set as launcher. On stock launcher and nova just installed it only asks on reboot.

I restored from backup - and as far as I can tell (not yet daily driving my Pro1-X) it only asks after a reboot.

Have any of you having the issue tried another launcher than Nova?

I'm experimenting with "Action Launcher", and I do NOT see the issue. Neither after a restart nor after a power down and up, nor a long power press.

I DID notice that I get a 'black' launcher screen (notification and navigation icons only) for about 4s after a boot.

I then tried power off and on and waiting a long time before entering password. And when entered it STILL took 4s until I got the 'desktop'.

So 'something' strange is going on, that just MIGHT get Nova to time-out and crash.

ADD:
If you add the default launcher "QuickStep" to the sleep-list in Greenify it tells you "Being used by Notification listener". And trying to stop it wont work