Droidian released for Pro1 and Pro1-X

Hey everyone,

due to the current libsoup3 migration in Debian, `apt dist-upgrade` or the Software app might fail to let you upgrade an existing installation.
You can unblock upgrades using the following commands:

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

..and then proceeding as usual (i.e. doing an upgrade via `sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade` or using the Software app, which is the recommended way).

As a reward, you'll also be able to upgrade to the newest phosh (0.21.0), which finally is available in Droidian 😀

Have fun!

• Thanks 2
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw today that both Pros are supported in the current release of Droidian https://github.com/droidian-images/droidian/releases/tag/droidian%2Fbookworm%2F24   AFAIK we should use the fastboo

Hi, Eugenio from Droidian here: Did you happen to run a dist-upgrade via the command line before doing that? Unfortunately there is an ongoing GNOME migration in Debian testing that required re

I received a blue Pro1x today and was planning on flashing it on it tonight, but got a bit sidetracked with LXC containers in SFOS. I have Droidian on a Pro1 and it's really nice and flexible, the mai

Posted Images

Hey guys,

droidian is awesome! I even  managed to disable haptic feedback, as i'm using the phone overnight while the baby is sleeping and the noise from vibration is waking him up. However, I'm still having issues making droidian to remember my Displays>Scale factor. Every time when I reboot, it gets reset back to 300% which is kind of too big for me. Any ideas why this change is not permanent will be much appreciated!

22 minutes ago, Ivaylo Hubanov said:

Hey guys,

droidian is awesome! I even  managed to disable haptic feedback, as i'm using the phone overnight while the baby is sleeping and the noise from vibration is waking him up. However, I'm still having issues making droidian to remember my Displays>Scale factor. Every time when I reboot, it gets reset back to 300% which is kind of too big for me. Any ideas why this change is not permanent will be much appreciated!

This was happening to me on the PinePhone with Phosh.  I found instructions for editing the Phoc.ini file to change the default number.  I would imagine there is probably some similar ini file for Droidian, but don't know.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Hook said:

This was happening to me on the PinePhone with Phosh.  I found instructions for editing the Phoc.ini file to change the default number.  I would imagine there is probably some similar ini file for Droidian, but don't know.

Can find instructions you used for PinePhone? Might be usefull to find the file.

9 hours ago, Ivaylo Hubanov said:

Can find instructions you used for PinePhone? Might be usefull to find the file.

Found the below on the Mobian wiki, if you have the same files it's probably the same fix in Droidian 🙂

The default configuration of phoc is in file /usr/share/phosh/phoc.ini. To change the default screen scaling copy that file to /etc/phosh/phoc.ini and modify this part:

[output:DSI-1]
# scale = 2
scale = 1.5 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, suicidal_orange said:

Found the below on the Mobian wiki, if you have the same files it's probably the same fix in Droidian 🙂

Yes, I didn't get it from there, but that was essentially the same instructions.  The question I don't know the answer to is whether Droidian is using Phosh (mobile version of Gnome, I believe).   If so, that Phoc.ini file is what you want.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 5:29 PM, matf-kabouik said:

I have Droidian on a Pro1 since last year, and on a Pro1x since last night. Droidian hasn't been a daily driver for me (mostly due to battery life and the fact that I'm not friend with the ergonomics of Phosh) so I don't know everything about it, but feel free to ask questions.

I have played with it somewhat actively last year to get alternate WMs working (Sway doable with some work, and with issues, i3wm doable too with a X hack), LXC (doable with Sway as WM but the keyboard mapping caused issues for my keybindings), Waydroid (Droidian may have the best support for it), or simply installing native Debian programs. Not much "real use" experience with Phosh, however.

So far, the experience looks fairly similar on Pro1x, I'd rate the two ports as almost equivalent (with more things being experimental on Halium 11, though), but I haven't spent much time on it yet.

Hey man,

Can you help me out with running Waydroid on my Pro1X with Droidian?

Simple apt install waydroid works and I can see Waydroid's icon, but when I tap on it, nothing really happens. Any advise will be much appreciated!

Thanks.

22 hours ago, Ivaylo Hubanov said:

Simple apt install waydroid works and I can see Waydroid's icon, but when I tap on it, nothing really happens. Any advise will be much appreciated!

No experience here but just read the instructions and as I read it you run an app not Waydroid itself.  Is this what you are doing?  I'm very confused by the really - either something happens or it doesn't.  (Apologies if this is because English isn't your first language)

Another test, run "waydroid session stop" - if you don't get an error it was running. 

38 minutes ago, suicidal_orange said:

No experience here but just read the instructions and as I read it you run an app not Waydroid itself.  Is this what you are doing?  I'm very confused by the really - either something happens or it doesn't.  (Apologies if this is because English isn't your first language)

Another test, run "waydroid session stop" - if you don't get an error it was running. 

$ waydroid status
Session:	RUNNING
Container:	RUNNING
Vendor type:	HALIUM_11
Session user:	droidian(32011)
Wayland display:	wayland-0

$ waydroid show-full-ui
[12:36:04] Failed to get service waydroidplatform, trying again...
[12:36:05] Failed to get service waydroidplatform, trying again...
[12:36:06] Failed to get service waydroidplatform, trying again...
[12:36:07] Failed to get service waydroidplatform, trying again...
[12:36:08] Failed to get service waydroidplatform, trying again...
[12:36:09] Failed to get service waydroidplatform, trying again...
... forever

Tried waiting more than 10 minutes as suggested in some posts that it might take up to minute or two...

Which image did you try? Official Waydroid images don't support Halium 11 devices yet, so you have to use a custom built one:

https://github.com/UbuntuTouch-vayu/waydroid_11/releases/tag/1.0

These are the instructions as provided by Verevka86, which compiled the images linked above:

instructions:
1: sudo apt install waydroid
2: Edit /etc/gbinder.d/anbox.conf to read like:

[Protocol]
/dev/anbox-binder = aidl3
/dev/anbox-vndbinder = aidl3
/dev/anbox-hwbinder = hidl

[ServiceManager]
/dev/anbox-binder = aidl3
/dev/anbox-vndbinder = aidl3
/dev/anbox-hwbinder = hidl

3: copy waydroid images > /usr/share/waydroid-extras/images
4: sudo waydroid init -f
5: reboot

On the OG Pro1 instead, everything is available from the Droidian repositories:

sudo apt install waydroid waydroid-vendor-28

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I just installed on pro1-x, but apparently it wants a pin code to unlock?  What do I use?

edit: It's 1234

New Questions:

How do we get to a tty without F-keys?

What are the dev tools zips, and how to apply them?

Edited by Craig
On 10/18/2022 at 12:40 AM, Craig said:

I just installed on pro1-x, but apparently it wants a pin code to unlock?  What do I use?

edit: It's 1234

New Questions:

How do we get to a tty without F-keys?

You can't

On 10/18/2022 at 12:40 AM, Craig said:

What are the dev tools zips, and how to apply them?

Devtools is a bundle that installs useful packages for port development/debug. On an already flashed system you can install the droidian-devtools and adaptation-hybris-devtools metapackages. On nightly builds they're embedded in the flashable image.

Note that having devtools around might not be desirable - among other things, it configures the journal log to be flushed to disk rather than being left on volatile memory (i.e. it might increase disk wear) and it also automatically exposes SSH via RNDIS.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 11:07 PM, eugenio said:

Which image did you try? Official Waydroid images don't support Halium 11 devices yet, so you have to use a custom built one:

https://github.com/UbuntuTouch-vayu/waydroid_11/releases/tag/1.0

These are the instructions as provided by Verevka86, which compiled the images linked above:

On the OG Pro1 instead, everything is available from the Droidian repositories:

sudo apt install waydroid waydroid-vendor-28

Man, you are awesome!!! It works!

However I'm able to use it only in landscape mode... anyone have the same issue?

On 11/7/2022 at 12:35 PM, Ivaylo Hubanov said:

Man, you are awesome!!! It works!

However I'm able to use it only in landscape mode... anyone have the same issue?

Rotation is not working well with Waydroid, but can be worked around.  For rotation to work properly in Android apps, make sure Droidian is in portrait mode before you start Waydroid the first time, and then set Droidian back to portrait mode whenever you use it again.

It is probably the biggest annoyance right now in using Android apps with the keyboard open is having to set Droidian to portrait and then back to landscape when done with that app.  Also Droidian is a bit confusing until you understand it has four possible settings for rotation, but only two of them work at a time, and behavior changes when you open or close the keyboard.  When you open the keyboard, rotation is set to landscape, which you can manually change to portrait (which you must do for android apps).  When you close the keyboard, rotation will lock as portrait, which you could manually set to "On" to allow auto rotation (which you shouldn't do when using android apps).

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 12:25 PM, liquidvx said:

yeah it was messed up partitions. reflashed the paritions with fastboot and its all good now

I don't know if this is my problem or not, but it may be and, if so, I need to know how to do the above, because I'm not sure what it means.

However, here is what has gone on up until now.

I am trying to flash Droidian on my original Pro1 (not Pro1x).  I previously had Lineage on the Pro1.

I downloaded droidian-OFFICIAL-phosh-phone-fxtec_pro1-api28-arm64-25_20230324.zip  and unzipped it into a folder on my Thinkpad running Manjaro. 

I then put my Pro1 in bootloader mode and then issued the command ./flash_all.sh  Everything went fine, there were no errors.  The Pro 1 rebooted, I got the FxTec logo, the green flashing Droidin swirl and then the screen went dark.  I waited a long time.  No change.

I then booted back into the bootloader, did fastboot format:ext4 userdata  Everything looked like it was successful and I re-ran the flash_all.  Same result.

I used sudo to rerun the flash-all.  Same result.

I even re-downloaded  and re-extracted the zip to a new folder and did everything again, in case the first time the files were corrupted.  Same result.

Here is the log I always get, if it helps:

hook@Hook-Manjaro-X230 tmp]$ ./flash_all.sh
I: Waiting for a suitable device
I: Flashing data/boot.img
Sending 'boot_a' (29872 KB)                        OKAY [  0.758s]
Writing 'boot_a'                                   OKAY [  0.434s]
Finished. Total time: 1.276s
Sending 'boot_b' (29872 KB)                        OKAY [  0.767s]
Writing 'boot_b'                                   OKAY [  0.888s]
Finished. Total time: 1.680s
I: Flashing data/dtbo.img
Sending 'dtbo_a' (0 KB)                            OKAY [  0.006s]
Writing 'dtbo_a'                                   OKAY [  0.002s]
Finished. Total time: 0.011s
Sending 'dtbo_b' (0 KB)                            OKAY [  0.003s]
Writing 'dtbo_b'                                   OKAY [  0.001s]
Finished. Total time: 0.006s
I: Flashing data/userdata.img
Sending sparse 'userdata' 1/7 (523576 KB)          OKAY [ 13.581s]
Writing 'userdata'                                 OKAY [  0.000s]
Sending sparse 'userdata' 2/7 (481408 KB)          OKAY [ 24.960s]
Sending sparse 'userdata' 3/7 (518350 KB)          OKAY [ 19.480s]
Sending sparse 'userdata' 4/7 (513475 KB)          OKAY [ 20.320s]
Sending sparse 'userdata' 5/7 (506796 KB)          OKAY [ 21.950s]
Sending sparse 'userdata' 6/7 (522970 KB)          OKAY [ 36.190s]
Sending sparse 'userdata' 7/7 (329509 KB)          OKAY [ 21.470s]
Finished. Total time: 158.999s
Rebooting                                          OKAY [ 13.919s]
Finished. Total time: 13.969s
I: Flashing completed

Anyone have a clue about what's going wrong here?  I'm new to flashing anything but Lineage on the Pro1. 

• Sad 1
21 hours ago, Hook said:

I don't know if this is my problem or not, but it may be and, if so, I need to know how to do the above, because I'm not sure what it means.

However, here is what has gone on up until now.

I am trying to flash Droidian on my original Pro1 (not Pro1x).  I previously had Lineage on the Pro1.

I downloaded droidian-OFFICIAL-phosh-phone-fxtec_pro1-api28-arm64-25_20230324.zip  and unzipped it into a folder on my Thinkpad running Manjaro. 

I then put my Pro1 in bootloader mode and then issued the command ./flash_all.sh  Everything went fine, there were no errors.  The Pro 1 rebooted, I got the FxTec logo, the green flashing Droidin swirl and then the screen went dark.  I waited a long time.  No change.

I then booted back into the bootloader, did fastboot format:ext4 userdata  Everything looked like it was successful and I re-ran the flash_all.  Same result.

I used sudo to rerun the flash-all.  Same result.

I even re-downloaded  and re-extracted the zip to a new folder and did everything again, in case the first time the files were corrupted.  Same result.

Here is the log I always get, if it helps:

Anyone have a clue about what's going wrong here?  I'm new to flashing anything but Lineage on the Pro1. 

Well, I fixed it.  I reflashed 2019 stock wondering if there's something Droidian doesn't like about coming from Lineage, and it still didn't work, so then I took all of the updates to 2019 stock (I had forgotten how many updates we got before it just stopped).   Tried one more time with the Droidian flash_all and... it just worked.  Nothing different about the output of the script, but it booted into Droidian. 

Will be a while before I get to set it up, but I finally got it. 🥳 🍻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another little bump in the trail... a system update popped up, so I said "sure" When it rebooted, something was off with the touchscreen.  It wasnlt nonresponsive, this was much weirder.  Scrolling was fine, but anything requiring a point press, like launching an app icon, required laborius pressure.  What's more, it was worse at the edges of the screen, meaning I couldnt send the open app to the multi-tasking card rack to return to the Phosh home screen.

So, since I haven't had time to do a lot with roidian yet, been a busy week, I'm just going to reflash the March snapshot and not take an update for a while.  I'll pop over to the telegram group and see if it happened to anyone else, but I don't want go down a troubleshooting rabbithole when I'm just beginning to learn Droidian.

This is why I waited until I had a Pro1x to be a daily driver before beginning these experiments with my Pro1.  😉

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing your experiences here, much appreciated. I'm waiting for a pro1x who could or should be my next daily driver (hopes !), then I will have to reflash my pro1 in order to change the screen, and then...I'm very curious about Droidian. Wait and see !

I have now given up. I have once again been unable to flash Droidian .  I have troubleshot this with @matf-kabouik extensively.  I am doing everything he does and even verified the sh256 on my download.  I honestly don't think this is a problem with Droidian, but some kind of problem on my Pro1, maybe my boatloder even, that Android and Lineage don't care about.  For instance, when I try to launch the Droidian flashing script, My Pro1 reboots and I have to put back in bootloader mode.  I've tried different ports and different cables.  No joy.  For now I'm abandoning it, but I don't think others trying Droidian should expect these problems.

I will go off and scratch my head for a while.

Well, I'm back.  Everything just started working this morning with the folks on Droidian telegram, still including @matf-kabouik, walking me through steps I thought I had already taken, but maybe in my frustration never all of them in the right sequence.  Plus fastboot seems to be behaving again.  Whatever, I have Droidian bootable again on my Pro1.  I love that we are not just buying phones but also a great community of folks willing to help.  Thanks all of you.

• Like 1
On 5/8/2023 at 7:24 PM, Hook said:

Well, I'm back.  Everything just started working this morning with the folks on Droidian telegram, still including @matf-kabouik, walking me through steps I thought I had already taken, but maybe in my frustration never all of them in the right sequence.  Plus fastboot seems to be behaving again.  Whatever, I have Droidian bootable again on my Pro1.  I love that we are not just buying phones but also a great community of folks willing to help.  Thanks all of you.

In case others encounter the same issues @Hook has had along this rocky road, one thing I think has changed when it worked, is @Hook actually booted stock Android and denied all prompts for setting encryption or a lock code, before flashing Droidian. I believe the first boot fiddles a bit with partitions (maybe @eugenio will correct me on that point), in which case Droidian may have found a non-working partition setup when coming directly form Lineage (perhaps with some encryption somewhere?), or when stock was not booted at least once.

I have never encountered the same issues, but I always flashed Droidian either on itself (working state), on SailfishOS, or on stock (booted once).

Edited by matf-kabouik
  • Thanks 1