Hello,

I would like to completely disable fingerprint reader. How can I do it?

I am getting very inconvenient experience caused by fingerprint reader, which appears to be a bug. To reproduce do the following. 20230420 official lineageos build.

(may be optional) remove saved fingerprint creds

open youtube inside web browser (in my case it's chromium brave)

play any video, ensure it runs in web browser and not youtube app (myself I do not have the app installed)

when watching video lightly touch fingerprint reader

each time that happens video restarts for me 

Hiya chief

I think the Pro1x comes apart the same way as the Pro1, if so you can simply take the case off and uncouple the header inside the unit.

At least, that's what I did with the Pro1.

There are video's on how to disassemble the Pro1 out there with minimal google-fu.

On my Pro1 the reader just died after 3 years. lol

(I am too lazy to take it apart but maybe it just disconnected by itself somehow)

It wasn't an issue for me actually because I use a flip case, I do miss it to some extent but can live without it.

1 hour ago, Benni said:

I can't reproduce this in firefox, lineage-20.0-20230504, with stored fingerprints.

It doesn't happen with Firefox.  It does happen with Chrome, Chromium based browsers and I found a couple of other apps that will react to it, but most don't and, being a Firefox user, not using my fingerprint reader and 99% using the  device with keyboard out,  I never even noticed it before someone called my attention to it.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for checking that out. Where is the best place to report this problem? Fxtec/los/brave?

This single problem is actually what stops me from moving from my old phone to pro1x.

Nevertheless, even when fixed, I think it would be good to have an option to disable fingerprint reader as I never use it. Any idea where such feature request is best to be filled in? Fxtec/los?

2 hours ago, jangorecki said:

Thank you both for checking that out. Where is the best place to report this problem? Fxtec/los/brave?

This single problem is actually what stops me from moving from my old phone to pro1x.

Nevertheless, even when fixed, I think it would be good to have an option to disable fingerprint reader as I never use it. Any idea where such feature request is best to be filled in? Fxtec/los?

The easy fix is, of course, a tiny piece of black electrician tape cut to the size of the finger print sensor.  Actually, the black stickers that cover the screws on the back of the screen (on the Pro1x they are invisible, unlike the Pro) are exactly the right width and can be chained across to cover the length of the fingerprint sensor.  I have sheets of those black screw covers, if you want to DM  me your address. 

I think Fxtec has enough on their plate, I doubt the feature request would get a lot of attention  right now.  I have only heard of this consequence of the sensor being active from LOS users, so you could try to see if they would consider it.

• Thanks 2

Thank you for links. None of those actually seems elegant enough (first is unmaintained for 5 years already).

Anyway, I waited 6 month for LOS before even booting my pro1x, so now looks like I will wait another months till it will be usable. As long as my old phone still works I don't mind :)

8 hours ago, jangorecki said:

Thank you for links. None of those actually seems elegant enough (first is unmaintained for 5 years already).

Anyway, I waited 6 month for LOS before even booting my pro1x, so now looks like I will wait another months till it will be usable. As long as my old phone still works I don't mind :)

This problem existed on the initial stock Android ROM, 2.1.2, but was fixed in the 2.1.5 gms-less Android ROM that was subsequently released.

For some reason, LOS devs must have been given the initial vendor blobs where the problem still existed.

13 hours ago, jangorecki said:

It's simply applying a device policy, I don't think there's anything to maintain 🙂

On 5/8/2023 at 8:44 AM, Name_not_avail said:

This problem existed on the initial stock Android ROM, 2.1.2, but was fixed in the 2.1.5 gms-less Android ROM that was subsequently released.

For some reason, LOS devs must have been given the initial vendor blobs where the problem still existed.

Thank you for finding that out. Donyoy know if those blobs are fixed in LOS or there are likely to be upgraded in future?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i ve this kind of issue with LineageOS on my pro1x and with the original android too.
Figerprint, is like mapped as "refresh page" and this is the same problem on other browsers (i m using vivaldi) (or with termux that display a brief windows.)

I wonder if we can change this mapping as non-root or as root and how ?

Or if we can add a script that unactivate fingerprint sensor while the screen is unlocked ?

I saw commands lines for other phones but i didn't managed to mak it works on the pro1x ?
I m a noob at linux.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/q-disabling-fingerprint-sensor-fpc1020.3875496/

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/153948/completely-disable-the-fingerprint-sensor

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/disable-fingerprint-sensor-via-proximity.3992303/