Vote: user removable battery (to use multiple batteries daily)

EVERY phone I've had, I've always had a bunch of batteries with me to keep the phone going trough the day/weekend/trip

you can use a universal cheapo charger from ebay to charge them

much much better than dangling a battery bank off the phone 24/7

+1

its ok if I need to screw a few set screws holding the backplate in place to preserve your IP rating – like, who of us Functionalists dont carry a philips head with them daily :D

I personally do not care about the IP rating, unless you can take the phone underwater (in salt water)

I’ve successfully saved a fully submerged non-waterproof phone, so I’ll just do it again :)

its ok if I need to screw a few set screws holding the backplate in place to preserve your IP rating – like, who of us Functionalists dont carry a philips head with them daily :D

I personally do not care about the IP rating, unless you can take the phone underwater (in salt water)

I’ve successfully saved a fully submerged non-waterproof phone, so I’ll just do it again :)

Don't think this phone has an IP rating.

• Like 1

I see this as in the department for wishes for a future Pro², as I find it extremely unlikely that we will see fundamental hardware changes at this late stage of the development of the Pro¹.

I too like replaceable batteries, as I find it much easier to carry some spares, than to have a heavy device. And it also allows us to be more careless with the charging pattern (e.g. fast charge away...), as it would be no big deal how long the total lifespan of each battery would be.

IF the battery is reasonably easy user replaceable on the Pro¹, I would be glad. But as I have not seen anything mentioned on it I doubt it.

If I understand what they are writing correctly, the keyboard should be replaceable, so if that is correct it does leaves a (slim) change that the battery might be accessible under it, without the need of tearing the device apart.

Personally I would generally (not limited to keyboard devices) wish for a device with the possibility of using different size battery-backs. So you could have a slimmer device for the dinner jacket, and thicker for more heavy usage. I had three different sizes for my ancient Samsung S300. Nokia also had some models with different sizes. Of course today, we would like a tiny power-backup, so the device could stay on (screen off, perhaps aeroplane mode) for a short while while swapping batteries.

I would love this as well but it is unrealistic at this stage. But if the battery is in the keyboard part like mentioned (very likely) I bet it won't be a nightmare to disassemble and replace.

I think the best wish we could have is they publish a guide on battery replacement ;)

I would love this as well but it is unrealistic at this stage. But if the battery is in the keyboard part like mentioned (very likely) I bet it won’t be a nightmare to disassemble and replace.

I think the best wish we could have is they publish a guide on battery replacement ;)

Another question is availability of a replacement battery - will they be available on the market? If yes, for how long? I wish all the best to F(x)tec and am very enthusiastic about seeing the devices in retail and having it in my hands, but if the device doesn't gain a certain level of popularity, it may disappear from the market quite fast - together with any hope for after-market replacements. This concerns not only batteries but also other parts. I sure would not want to see this while having this phone, new battery is a hope to use it for more then just 2-3 years when the battery dies, not to mention a broken display.

I would love this as well but it is unrealistic at this stage. But if the battery is in the keyboard part like mentioned (very likely) I bet it won’t be a nightmare to disassemble and replace.

Another question is availability of a replacement battery – will they be available on the market? If yes, for how long? I wish all the best to F(x)tec and am very enthusiastic about seeing the devices in retail and having it in my hands, but if the device doesn’t gain a certain level of popularity, it may disappear from the market quite fast – together with any hope for after-market replacements. This concerns not only batteries but also other parts. I sure would not want to see this while having this phone, new battery is a hope to use it for more then just 2-3 years when the battery dies, not to mention a broken display.

I'm seriously hoping the screen and battery are just standard mass-produced parts.

I’m seriously hoping the screen and battery are just standard mass-produced parts.

Me too, and if so it would be reassuring to have it confirmed. :)

And if the same screen is used in a more widely spread slab, it might also be easy for us to find a tempered glass protector with a good fit

A search for similar sized front gives this

I would assume that you can change almost any battery in a modern phone incase you really need to. At the point you normally change a battery to a new one, the warranty is most certainly gone anyway. So, just use tools to open up your phone. (Though, if you need to use a heat gun to get access to the battery, then I would say it's too much effort).

For example, for most iPhones, changing the battery is relatively simple task. It just requires some simple tools. And by the time you need to change the battery, there is probably somebody else who has done it with knowledge on how to properly do it.

If you really need a spare battery for the day, just buy a power bank and those fancy magnetic USB-C cables and you can almost charge your phone without even thinking.

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt we'll see it with the first version, but I'll vote for a removable battery. This would be a very functionally driven feature, like a physical keyboard, like a headphone jack, etc. In general, that is what F(x)tec is doing -- bringing back features that other manufacturers have removed. Customers like added functionality. They don't like it when you remove functionality they prefer using.

As others have mentioned, if it is too difficult to make a phone with a removable back, being able to remove the keyboard and access the battery that way would be fine too. In other words, being able to use multiple batteries every day would be nice. Being able to *easily* (without needing to follow a complex process of taking the phone apart, piece by piece) replace a battery that won't hold a charge anymore would be VERY nice. Other than the screen breaking, my main worry about this phone is not being able to use it 2 years later due to a failed battery.

For me, if the battery can be replaced relatively easily (like unscrewing some screws) and can be replaced by an available battery, I would be happy as it means the phone would not be something like a "throwaway phone".

I'm also hope a more easily replaceable battery in a theoretical Pro2 later and also SIM1 + SIM2 + microSD simultaneous possibility.

I'm also don't like the idea of creating too slim notebooks and now also creating notebooks with internal batteries.

I feel that area may also need a revolution soon (back to usable machines). :S

Other than the screen breaking, my main worry about this phone is not being able to use it 2 years later due to a failed battery.

I'm with you all the way!

On your concerns: We know the new screen is one used in several phones. e.g. "Elephone U Pro" (see e.g. this), so that should help on the availability, no matter the destination of F(x)tec. And on the battery. Even if it is not replaceable, I would say that two years of battery life is on the pessimistic side. BUT it depends on how you treat the battery!. I have written several post on this at my tiny blog, start e.g. here that links to more info.

First of all I want to say I am indeed with the removable battery option. But I want also to tell some technical or other constraints:

- Removable battery, with the same internal space, will have a smaller capacity for sure. This is because of safety, removable batteries has a outer shell / enclosure which is not needed with internal battery. With the shell required, the capacity will probably reduced to around 2500-2600 mAh instead what we have about 3200.

- Removable battery requires a removable cover, which will complex the structure and make more layers, also result in the increase of thickness.

- Removable battery needs to have extra moulding for the battery and minimum quantity to support that production, will be a burden for a start-up company.

Therefore if we take the removable route, it will likely be:

- 2600 mAh capacity

- 15mm thick

- More expensive retail price

Hence the decision we made for Pro1. :)

Edit: It is certainly a considerable feature for Pro 2! :)

– 2600 mAh capacity

– 15mm thick

– More expensive retail price

It should be something well beyond €100 extra for me NOT to gladly accept the three above, to get removable batteries....

ESPECIALLY if it is battery used in other devices, so there are likely to be long availability of spare batteries.

(Here a list of around 100 devices with removable batteries with a capacity in that region)

e.g. the Nokia 1 Plus

– 2600 mAh capacity

– 15mm thick

– More expensive retail price

It should be something well beyond €100 extra for me NOT to gladly accept the three above, to get removable batteries….

ESPECIALLY if it is battery used in other devices, so there are likely to be long availability of spare batteries.

(Here a list of around 100 devices with removable batteries with a capacity in that region)

e.g. the Nokia 1 Plus

I second that. But it is definitely an understandable business decision. The price is already quite high for the specs (without the keyboard). Now I will happily pay that. But for a lot of people 650 is an awful lot of money (especially if you are not from Scandinavia or Switzerland).

The retro apparel could be the biggest risk for not selling it. Making it even more looking from the past (thicker with a removable lid) may be a step too far for now. Maybe it is better to have a look how this phone sells.

I know we both now that it would be better, but do people know it in generally? I think if people would know that, they would not spend a grand on an iPhone.

P.S. I think the price is more than fair with the keyboard. And I think the old CPU is a really good decision, since it has more than enough power, is easier on the battery (than the next generation) and a lot cheaper.

P.S. I think the price is more than fair with the keyboard. And I think the old CPU is a really good decision, since it has more than enough power, is easier on the battery (than the next generation) and a lot cheaper.

I Agree with you (almost) all the way., but strictly on the PS, IF one down-clocked a 845 or 855 to the same performance as a 835, I'm quite sure it would be leaner on the battery.

But totally agree that 835 will be enough for practically any potential buyer, and helps the price from sky-rocketing. It is not that this is a device likely to appeal to the most demanding gaming users anyway. So 845 would have been a waste of money, And I doubt that 4G will be obsolete within the next ten years (not even 2G are today....), so the 5G benefit of a 855 is more of a 'nice-to-have' than a 'need-to-have', even if the Pro¹ has to last for ten years. More likely outdated on yet to come future features than on the lack of 5G in the next decade.

• 1 year later...

For me. 

A phone that could be returned for an update and refit by the Manufacturer as required would be better than a removable battery .that would get over a lot of previously mentioned problems