POLL: What keyboard layout do you want?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we can see that after US/UK QWERTY and German QWERTZ layouts, the next preferences are Scandinavian and Russian layouts.

Remember also that Scan can easily substitute Den, as the difference is just additional print that needs to be ignored on two keys for Danes.

And as suggested earlier a large portion of those wanting US/UK are likely to have never even bothered with this thread, and thus did not vote.

So we can see that after US/UK QWERTY and German QWERTZ layouts, the next preferences are Scandinavian and Russian layouts.

Remember also that Scan can easily substitute Den, as the difference is just additional print that needs to be ignored on two keys for Danes.

And as suggested earlier a large portion of those wanting US/UK are likely to have never even bothered with this thread, and thus did not vote.

Yeah there is a good chance of that TBH I was skipping the keyboard layout threads as I knew it would prob be US which I can deal with as I am UK.

I am very surprised to not see any love for AZERTY. Wherr are all the French at? Or do French ppl usually use other layouts more often? Tbh I have not seen any of my French collegues ever having AZERTY…

I'm from belgium where we use a variant of azerty typically, but I have everything qwerty because I don't really like the big ISO style enter key and I really hate having to use shift to use the number row. It does make me unable to conveniently type some of the accented characters used in dutch but it's generally acceptable to just leave the accent away in informal communications so it does not bother me much.

Could you add Hungarian keyboard layout to the selection, please?

I've searched for physical keyboard device alternatives, but something was always lacking, most of the time not enough keys for accent characters. On my old Blackberry - although I like the device - the "long press" solution is really sluggish. Then I saw Fxtec Pro 1... and wow, I am really amazed about the construction of this device, and that polling request about keyboard layout is awesome, it feels like users do matter.

I hope there will be more Hungarian fellows, who wish for a device like that, anyhow I will give my vote.

Thank you!

I’ve searched for physical keyboard device alternatives, but something was always lacking, most of the time not enough keys for accent characters. On my old Blackberry – although I like the device – the “long press” solution is really sluggish. Then I saw Fxtec Pro 1… and wow, I am really amazed about the construction of this device, and that polling request about keyboard layout is awesome, it feels like users do matter.

I hope there will be more Hungarian fellows, who wish for a device like that, anyhow I will give my vote.

Thank you!

Unfortunately there is no way to add more things to the poll after it has received responses. The current poll is already a second poll, but that one had only been up for one day when I re-made that one. I dont think it would be productive to make a third one and have to again wait for people to reply.

Besides @netman has seen your post, so fxtec knows about your wishes. ?

I’ve searched for physical keyboard device alternatives, but something was always lacking, most of the time not enough keys for accent characters. On my old Blackberry – although I like the device – the “long press” solution is really sluggish. Then I saw Fxtec Pro 1… and wow, I am really amazed about the construction of this device, and that polling request about keyboard layout is awesome, it feels like users do matter.

Thank you!

Unfortunately there is no way to add more things to the poll after it has received responses. The current poll is already a second poll, but that one had only been up for one day when I re-made that one. I dont think it would be productive to make a third one and have to again wait for people to reply.

@netman does not work for fxtec :P, he just scrapes the forum and tries to be helfpul. Hopefully waxberry will see the post though!

Thank you!

@netman does not work for fxtec :P, he just scrapes the forum and tries to be helfpul. Hopefully waxberry will see the post though!

My apologies! It was just that some of your responses in some other threads really sounded like you were part of the dev team. ?

Thank you!

I may choose Hungarian keyboard and I know somebody who may also interested and preordered this device, but I'm afraid we are really few for FxTec to manufacture a specific keyboard for us.

However, I really hope they will offer an unmodified US layout which I would prefer. I mean I think it is a really wrong way to give an offset to keys and leaving unnecessary high gap on the left for normal typing and really inconvenient on the right for special characters.

If unmodified keyboard layout would be used, we may use normal Hungarian layout and accient characters can be at normal position and English layout would be also good for terminal typing with US layout set up.

...but this shifted keyboard approach destroys also convenient terminal typing and also destroys the possibility of using unmodified Hungarian (national) layouts.

See "Hacker's keyboard" software in landscape mode. If I would see a similar hw keyboard on FxPro, that would be the most convenient and ever the best layout.

This shifted thing is useless.

I think that part is pushing it a bit.

For those writing in languages with A-Z only, and that do not use numbers much, (or always look at the print of the keys anyway), the shifted layout might be beneficial. with a better balance in the strech from right and left. I'm not in that target group either though...

So despite never writing in German (I hardly speak it), I will most likely go for the German unshifted QWERTZ layout, as I can easily ignore that the Y-key got a Z printed and vice versa. And similar for the national letter keys, that are different in Danish

So if not enough support for Hungarian, I will suggest you to do the same, as the German QWERTZ does not look that far from the Hungarian. :)

PS As advocated earlier I would strongly suggest that the shifted keyboard should have the number keys following the letter keys, so it would 'only' be at the sides things are a bit odd, but the main part was positioned normally relative to each other. That is: Shift ALL four top rows or shift NONE.

…but this shifted keyboard approach destroys also convenient terminal typing and also destroys the possibility of using unmodified Hungarian (national) layouts.

Really good point. The shift of the keys may be really good, but makes it hard to change the used layout.

But I suppose it is only a Problem if you want to go to a non shifted layout. If you have the US-Keyboard and switch to the German one, the German one will be shifted to (because the sent keycodes are shifted).

So despite never writing in German (I hardly speak it), I will most likely go for the German unshifted QWERTZ layout, as I can easily ignore that the Y-key got a Z printed and vice versa. And similar for the national letter keys, that are different in Danish

So if not enough support for Hungarian, I will suggest you to do the same, as the German QWERTZ does not look that far from the Hungarian. :

Yes, it may be better. Anyway, ordinal Hungarian keyboard also has Y/Z interchanged compared to US keyboard, however, I don't really like that idea. Non-shifted US layout would be the best as at least one layout would be correct that way (which is usable mostly in terminal mode)... but as keyboard positions are not shifted, that would be a better layout.

Otherwise, in my current laptop, I use German keyboard because I didn't really feel that I have to change its keyboard to Hungarian one... (I have the layout burnt in my brain and also use English layout often for programming.)

Anyway, sorry, useless was a bit strong expression - I was travelling in a car typing on a touch screen which was a bit inconvenient.

I wanted to say less useful. :)

Here is a link for "Hacker's Keyboard" layout:

Hacker's Keyboard

I think that part is pushing it a bit.

For those writing in languages with A-Z only, and that do not use numbers much, (or always look at the print of the keys anyway), the shifted layout might be beneficial. with a better balance in the strech from right and left. I’m not in that target group either though…

So if not enough support for Hungarian, I will suggest you to do the same, as the German QWERTZ does not look that far from the Hungarian. :)

PS As advocated earlier I would strongly suggest that the shifted keyboard should have the number keys following the letter keys, so it would ‘only’ be at the sides things are a bit odd, but the main part was positioned normally relative to each other. That is: Shift ALL four top rows or shift NONE.

Yes, it may be better.

Anyway, ordinal Hungarian keyboard also has Y/Z interchanged compared to US keyboard, however, I don't really like that idea.

Non-shifted US layout would be the best as at least one layout would be correct that way (which is usable mostly in terminal mode)... but as keyboard positions are not shifted, that would be a better layout.

Otherwise, in my current laptop, I use German keyboard because I didn't really feel that I have to change its keyboard to Hungarian one... (I have the layout burnt in my brain and also use English layout often for programming.)

Anyway, sorry, useless was a bit strong expression - I was travelling in a car typing on a touch screen which was a bit inconvenient. I wanted to say less useful. :)

Here is a link for "Hacker's Keyboard" layout:

Hacker's Keyboard

Thank you for your responses! I go along with @EskeRahn's point with the German QWERTZ. As I checked, it is really "the same" layout wise as Hungarian, so if there would be a physical German QWERTZ with Hungarian language "allocation" support, that would be a dream. :)

• 1 month later...

I would like you to have a selection of "Arabic-US" qwerty.

Also, hope you had other languages combined with English qwerty keyboard layout.

The selections were so limited.

I hope F(x)tec team considers about many languages keyboard versions, if they really think that a keyboard is important function on their smartphone. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys!

I am a big fan of full-keyboard phones! I have Nokia 9210i, HTC 7 Pro and Planet Computers Gemini PDA. I have also preordered Plant Computers Cosmo Communicator. Now I am looking towards the Pro1. My question is more sotwarewise rather than hardware-related. Most of the younger people in Bulgaria, including me, use US or UK-layout keyboards with software Bulgarian Phonetic input. In this phonetic input every latin letter's sound correpspond to its equivalent sound in Cyrillic alphabet. So I am perfectly fine with US or UK keyboard layout. My question is will the Pro1's firmware / Android version support Bulgarian Phonetic? I am asking that because PlantCom's Gemini doesn't support Bulgarian Phonetic for the physical keyboard; it only supports Bulgarian BDS, which is used by older people from the typewritter's times.

• 3 weeks later...

German QWERTZ-layout makes not so much sense up to now because it is not easy to buy the phone from germany.

Disappointed pre-orderer like me had to learn that the only payment way is to use a credit card, which is not so popular in germany.

Questions for other payment ways are ignored, so there is a device desgined for use in germany but only a few people in germany can buy it.

German QWERTZ-layout makes not so much sense up to now because it is not easy to buy the phone from germany.

Disappointed pre-orderer like me had to learn that the only payment way is to use a credit card, which is not so popular in germany.

Questions for other payment ways are ignored, so there is a device desgined for use in germany but only a few people in germany can buy it.

How would you suggest they take payment, when PayPal does not allow them to do so (see this)?

Card payments give you as a consumer some rights within the EU that you do not get with a classic money transfer.

Actually I was pretty surprised on how easy it is to preorder for and from Germany regarding payment, shipment, vat, a.s.o.

There is no doubt that Creditcard isn't the most popular method of payment in Germany but in 2019 I hope having/ using a creditcard isn't that big of a deal and just a few have difficulties because of that. Other payment options would be a huge improvement though.

And depending on official sales after release I guess there will be other options to buy. By then hopefully everyone is glad to have a qwertz layout.