I actually would prefer the phone without headphones, sure good in-ears would be “dope” (as the young people seem to say =). But good in-ears are pricey. So the included headphones will most likely wander directly to its siblings in my drawer.

That's why I suggested the Ostry. They are good, but still low cost.

My LG G6 came with surprisingly good IEMs too, much better than I would have expected from "tag-along" IEMs for a phone.

In general I do believe people expect to get something with the phone (any phone). Everytime I have bought a phone that doesn't come with any IEMs, my initial reaction has been "Wow... how cheap can a company be" even if I never expect any good quality IEMs. But perhaps that is just me.

I actually would prefer the phone without headphones, sure good in-ears would be “dope” (as the young people seem to say =). But good in-ears are pricey. So the included headphones will most likely wander directly to its siblings in my drawer.

That’s why I suggested the Ostry. They are good, but still low cost.

My LG G6 came with surprisingly good IEMs too, much better than I would have expected from “tag-along” IEMs for a phone.

In general I do believe people expect to get something with the phone (any phone). Everytime I have bought a phone that doesn’t come with any IEMs, my initial reaction has been “Wow… how cheap can a company be” even if I never expect any good quality IEMs. But perhaps that is just me.

Interesting. I do not have this reaction. Mostly because the headphones are usually cramped under the phone in the box. I do not need an extra to feel value, but when an extra is needed I would prefer a good case (where a few dollars more could make a HUGE difference) or an sd card.

I agree about the case just from the perspective that a universal item like ear buds are not that important, you can always get them, but a niche phone is going to have trouble attracting case manufacturers and so a case of some quality is of real value.

If you appreciate good headphones you probably already have your favorite pair... If they are nice-ish IEMs i may end up just throwing them in my bag as my last pairs of free ones are already trashed. However I'm not too surprised nobody asked how will the headphones be, I assume most are like me and pre-order to get the phone in all it's keyboard-equipped glory as soon as possible :P.

If you appreciate good headphones you probably already have your favorite pair… If they are nice-ish IEMs i may end up just throwing them in my bag as my last pairs of free ones are already trashed. However I’m not too surprised nobody asked how will the headphones be, I assume most are like me and pre-order to get the phone in all it’s keyboard-equipped glory as soon as possible :P.

Of course I don't expect super hi-fi IEMs; thus I didn't suggest anything from the likes of SHURE or Sennheiser. But I always appreciate the gesture. I think it was Xiaomi that always added a small case and some headphones with even their budget phones. It is just a small gesture of like "we know it is not much, but we want to give you as complete of an experience as possible". It's similar to nice packaging; nice packaging of your device doesn't improve your user experience at all, but it is always nice to see that the company cares about your experience and first impression.

• 2 weeks later...

Though I’m a sucker for active noise cancellation, so will more likely than not keep using my ATH-ANC33iS

Yeah, really hard decision between free IEMs and audio technicas... xD

Don't now that exact Model, but chances are good that the sound of your ATs is better.

Same. I’ve got a load of headphones, and I can’t imagine the free ones will replace my favourites. I’ll be looking to sell the ‘phones unopened if they’re any good.

Personally I would much rather have curved tempered glass screen protectors than headphones (and also rather than a case)

I guess related if not on topic, but does anyone else find it really annoying how many articles on the Pro1 refer to the presence of the 3.5mm stereo port as a 'retro feature'. Just no. Certain big companies seem to want to bury it, but as an audio connection standard it is still ubiquitous! It's something all phones should have (IMO) not included for retro appeal.

I guess related if not on topic, but does anyone else find it really annoying how many articles on the Pro1 refer to the presence of the 3.5mm stereo port as a ‘retro feature’. Just no. Certain big companies seem to want to bury it, but as an audio connection standard it is still ubiquitous! It’s something all phones should have (IMO) not included for retro appeal.

Totally agree! The ONLY bad things that can be said on 3.5mm jacks compared to BT is IF it is mounted on a main print without proper support of the casing, so that wear and tear might brake the main print (quite a number of phones has issues like that). The images I have seen of the prints does not show that end, so I do not know. But on the pre production unit I have played with there are no 'wobbling' of the port at all so I assume they have thought on that detail (too) designing the whole thing. The outer part of the port can be seen as a tight fit in a round 'cut-out' in the exterior frame, so that end of the port is 100% stable.

I guess related if not on topic, but does anyone else find it really annoying how many articles on the Pro1 refer to the presence of the 3.5mm stereo port as a ‘retro feature’. Just no. Certain big companies seem to want to bury it, but as an audio connection standard it is still ubiquitous! It’s something all phones should have (IMO) not included for retro appeal.

Haha, yeah! The situation is even very weird as usually the low-end and midrange phones have a headphone jack like they should, but when you pay more to get the fast, shiny and big phone no headphone connector for you... Usually also they give it a glass backside so when it falls and you get so lucky it lands screen-up something still breaks :-/. I never understood.

Totally agree! The ONLY bad things that can be said on 3.5mm jacks compared to BT is IF it is mounted on a main print without proper support of the casing, so that wear and tear might brake the main print (quite a number of phones has issues like that). The images I have seen of the prints does not show that end, so I do not know. But on the pre production unit I have played with there are no ‘wobbling’ of the port at all so I assume they have thought on that detail (too) designing the whole thing. The outer part of the port can be seen as a tight fit in a round ‘cut-out’ in the exterior frame, so that end of the port is 100% stable.

I've never seen headphone jacks break the PCB they are on before, only seen the connectors themselves get corroded/damaged or have the male end of the connector stuck in them due to it breaking off in there. When there is no headphone jack we have to use the USB-C port with an adaptor in most phones if I understand it (or hang our audiophillic heads in defeat and listen via BT), and those tend to be a fair bit more susceptible to mechanical damage...

I’ve never seen headphone jacks break the PCB they are on before, only seen the connectors themselves get corroded/damaged or have the male end of the connector stuck in them due to it breaking off in there

Well if the housing of the port is not supported the repetitious plug and unplug can easily break the soldering by plain material fatigue. And in unlucky cases the print.

This is why e.g. old transistors almost always had a nut securing the bushing to the chassis, so the mechanical stress was not transferred to the print.

Here an example of a classic one.

Here an example of the damaged connection from a Walkman page

broken soldering

Same. I’ve got a load of headphones, and I can’t imagine the free ones will replace my favourites. I’ll be looking to sell the ‘phones unopened if they’re any good.

Personally I would much rather have curved tempered glass screen protectors than headphones (and also rather than a case)

My personal 'peeve' with glass protectors is that they shatter or crack quite easily. The best kind of protector I could find is the kind of rubber/silicon film. My Priv wears one of those and the thing is really tough. Having shattered my previous Priv's screen within 2 weeks of use (it fell totally flat on its screen, on a concrete ground), I never used the new Priv (found the whole phone for cheaper than the replacement screen only!) without a screen protector. The first one I used was a Copter tablet protector which I then cut out myself to fit the phone. Later I found specific ones I could order from Amazon, but honestly don't remember the brands (I got 2 different ones, both have the same - good - performance). I drop the phone real often and so far (2 years) the screen is still safe and sound.

But, to get back on topic, I personally prefer the earphones. Always nice to have an extra pair. On the other hand it would be nice to know whether some manufacturer will produce the screen protector film.

So just to get this straight: all us happy pre-orderers get the case and headphones included in the order, right?

Yes. And the offer has expired now. It's only for the very first orders. :)

I actually would prefer the phone without headphones

Although it's "free" but it's not the same standard as the earphone come in box like others. Should be much better. We also not intend to replace the specific earphones users already have, it's a limited thank you gift. :)

Yes. And the offer has expired now. It’s only for the very first orders. :)

If it's really expired you should update the pre-order page, it still says the offer is extended by one week. They definitely look pretty awesome in the pictures, if they sound as good as they look they will be a nice complement to my collection of mostly over-ear sets :).