Now that I can finally register to this forum (couldn't when it first became available and the register link is still buggy), I have to say I'm pretty disappointed so far. I've asked on their Instagram page for status updates or anything and no one ever responds. I haven't heard anything about a release date change until this. I pre-ordered it but I'm having my doubts now that it will ship this year. My current phone is already super problematic (Pixel gen 1 refurb) and I've been holding out for the Pro1. It would be nice if someone would make an official statement on the expected release date. At least narrow it down to a month.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't quite figure out this sudden leap to "it's not going to ship this year" when it is only late June. Yes, they aren't the most communicative-- they aren't big enough to have an actual social media person.

My Nexus 6p has decided it's time to do the spontaneous shutdown stuff and so I have picked up a $99 Moto G6 from Google Fi to get me through and then become a back-up phone. Most of what I do can be handled by a mid-range phone for now, so I'll be fine for a few months with the G6 if need be. If the Pro1 doesn't happen, I'll probably end up with a OnePlus 7 Pro, but I'm actually pretty optimistic that the Pro1 is happening and that it has a good shot of being out this summer (they have until 20 SEP) or this Fall at the latest. Since they haven't asked me for money, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

It's worth waiting for and my main criteria is that the execution is seamless. I'm not sure the timeline for that can be predicted down to the month. They have said Summer for now.

Now that I can finally register to this forum (couldn’t when it first became available and the register link is still buggy), I have to say I’m pretty disappointed so far. I’ve asked on their Instagram page for status updates or anything and no one ever responds. I haven’t heard anything about a release date change until this. I pre-ordered it but I’m having my doubts now that it will ship this year. My current phone is already super problematic (Pixel gen 1 refurb) and I’ve been holding out for the Pro1. It would be nice if someone would make an official statement on the expected release date. At least narrow it down to a month.

I understand the concern with the dying phone, but I'm not sure why people (this is the second post to do so) are concluding in late June that the phone won't be ready until next year. They only changed their delivery date from July to Summer. That gives them until 20 September. I think software and hardware refinements and integration are hard to nail down to a specific month, but I think it's too early to make such a dire prediction. I do agree that communication is lacking but I believe they are working hard and they haven't asked me for any money so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. They are a small group and they don't have anyone to specifically manage their communications and social media.

My phone is also failing, a Nexus 6p with a failing battery and which, just over the past few weeks, has developed the spontaneous shutdown problem. So I ordered a $99 Moto G6 from Google Fi (I'll no doubt cancel Fi in a few days and put the G6 on Verizon). It isn't a great phone, but it will do most of the things I want to do and I can live with it as an interim phone and, later, a back-up phone. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed I don't need it more than a month or two. Or three. ;-)

I understand the concern with the dying phone, but I’m not sure why people (this is the second post to do so) are concluding in late June that the phone won’t be ready until next year. They only changed their delivery date from July to Summer.

I think the concern is that like a lot of other projects that have been similar (kickstart usually) people have been burned. A release date becomes a release month, then a release year, then it just disappears. Luckily they didn't request money. Had they I wouldn't have "pre-ordered" it and would've just waited to see it in the wild.

While I agree that they are a small group, they need to do a little more then just change the date on a website and not tell anyone officially. It's fine that slips happen and I get it. But not releasing an official statement causes posts such as these leading to speculation.

Thanks for responding and hopefully this is all for nothing :)

I understand the concern with the dying phone, but I’m not sure why people (this is the second post to do so) are concluding in late June that the phone won’t be ready until next year. They only changed their delivery date from July to Summer.

I think the concern is that like a lot of other projects that have been similar (kickstart usually) people have been burned. A release date becomes a release month, then a release year, then it just disappears. Luckily they didn’t request money. Had they I wouldn’t have “pre-ordered” it and would’ve just waited to see it in the wild.

While I agree that they are a small group, they need to do a little more then just change the date on a website and not tell anyone officially. It’s fine that slips happen and I get it. But not releasing an official statement causes posts such as these leading to speculation.

Thanks for responding and hopefully this is all for nothing :)

We're dealing with engineers and software developers, not PR people. Let them do what they do and quit ragging on them for not making enough noise. LOL

I'm totally on your side here, refreshing the site several times a day, longing for more information.

But I can't agree to the black-painting: Even if the information and updates are not on a regular basis, spread across different platforms, remember the folliwing: not a single update was a step back. The device is happening. Several people, not only invited press, were able to hold the mostly final product in their hands, EskeRahn propably already uses it as a daily driver (surpressing jealousy here). And the minor delay from "july" to "summer" might, as written elsewhere, just be a warning to new pre-orderers, since the first batch is already completely sold out??

The team's "free-time" seems to be used for planning community events all over the globe, we all got that info. I doubt that that is a one-man job of some hours planning.

Relax, enjoy the weather, come back in a week, hope for news until then. If there is something urgent, I'm sure there will be a newsletter in your inbox.

EskeRahn propably already uses it as a daily driver

Unfortunately not, At the current state of this early unit not all antennas are in place, and can not connect to the world except through WiFi. So more a teaser than a daily driver.

I’m just going to say, without further comment:

Happy July everyone!

You are a bit early on the 4th of July greetings… ;-)

I was thinking he was actually hoping for a happy July... as in the release of the Pro1. :D

It seems the release date has been changed to "at a future date." Hopefully this year, and I still believe in Fxtec, but I do have to say the people who have seen this pattern before are probably feeling pretty anxious right about now.

It seems the release date has been changed to “at a future date.” Hopefully this year, and I still believe in Fxtec, but I do have to say the people who have seen this pattern before are probably feeling pretty anxious right about now.

No, it has been changed to "Summer 2019." Doesn't seem all that dire a change. Could it slip further? Sure. But how about we wait and see if it does. ;-)

It seems the release date has been changed to “at a future date.” Hopefully this year, and I still believe in Fxtec, but I do have to say the people who have seen this pattern before are probably feeling pretty anxious right about now.

No, it has been changed to “Summer 2019.” Doesn’t seem all that dire a change. Could it slip further? Sure. But how about we wait and see if it does. ;-)

I just checked and that's what it says. Could be that I caught it right when it changed.

Edit: Unless it always said that there, but I thought it said summer 2019 in that box. If it always said that, I'll just go back to reading and be quiet from now on :D

No, it has been changed to “Summer 2019.” Doesn’t seem all that dire a change. Could it slip further? Sure. But how about we wait and see if it does. ;-)

I just checked and that’s what it says. Could be that I caught it right when it changed.

Edit: Unless it always said that there, but I thought it said summer 2019 in that box. If it always said that, I’ll just go back to reading and be quiet from now on :D

No, that location (order status) has always said that, I was talking about the pre-order page where it changed from July 2019 to Summer 2019.

I just checked and that’s what it says. Could be that I caught it right when it changed.

Edit: Unless it always said that there, but I thought it said summer 2019 in that box. If it always said that, I’ll just go back to reading and be quiet from now on :D

No, that location (order status) has always said that, I was talking about the pre-order page where it changed from July 2019 to Summer 2019.

Glad I have a really inaccurate memory. Sorry for the confusion.

Unfortunately not, At the current state of this early unit not all antennas are in place, and can not connect to the world except through WiFi. So more a teaser than a daily driver.

That sounds like you're able to use it like the old Nokia tablets. That being said: how is call quality through stuff like WhatsApp? Have you tried that already?

Hello!

July is here, and we are yet to receive any actual release date. Or have I just missed it? When can we expect the first US versions to start shipping, and how long are we ought to wait for other language versions after that? I kinda expect a Nordic version for November/December, but would be nice to get some in-house updates regarding this.

Thank you!

July is here, and we are yet to receive any actual release date. Or have I just missed it?

You did not miss it, we are all impatiently waiting for official info. What we know is that they changed "July 2019" to "Summer 2019" in the pre-order page text.

July is here, and we are yet to receive any actual release date. Or have I just missed it?

You did not miss it, we are all impatiently waiting for official info. What we know is that they changed “July 2019” to “Summer 2019” in the pre-order page text.

Thanks for the info! Nice to see that other than me are also impatient. :D I really hope they can get the phone out soon, because with the release of more and more budget phones from China, the price to performance for this phone is becoming increasingly more ridiculous.

Yes - I am still prepared to support this niche product (I want physical qwerty back), but for example, I think a 1080p panel on a phone like this is to cheap out quite substantially, compared to my now 3 year old LG G6 with 1440p panel. The longer this release will take, the more "stupid" this package start to look. I mean... You can get China-phones with top-tier specs for 400 dollars. At 650 dollars, this phone should have top tier specs (or at least premium specs), even if it is a niche product. But again, I am okay with it for now. But much more delays and it won't be that "okay".

Side note: Not sure it was the best idea to merge my post to this one; could have been more visible if more questions/inquiries are made. :P