How fast can you type on a phone?

Post scores from typeracer.com, or similar, also be sure to let us know your phone model and if it's hardware or virtual keyboard.

When we get the pro1, the goal will to beat the best score compared to all these old devices, virtual or hardware.

To be "officially" considered the best score, you must provide two screenshots of different times getting the same score. (similar to drag racing). But unofficially post whatever you want. It's not like there's a prize or anything.

I know you type-racers are out there... Photon Q... N900... Droid4... N950.. Blackberry.... virual gboard? I dunno...

• Like 1

FAQ - Reserved for later with assumption we can edit

Q: Can I use a microphone and speech to text?

A: Sure. Go ahead and try. If you can do that faster than a keyboard accurately, then there is no need for another keyboard phone.

• Like 2
Post scores from typeracer.com, also be sure to let us know your phone model and if it’s hardware or virtual keyboard.

When we get the pro1, the goal will to beat the best score compared to all these old devices, virtual or hardware.

To be “officially” considered the best score, you must provide two screenshots of different times getting the same score. (similar to drag racing). But unofficially post whatever you want. It’s not like there’s a prize or anything.

I know you type-racers are out there… Photon Q… N900… Droid4… N950.. Blackberry…. virual gboard? I dunno…

I usually keep an average speed of around 39-41 wpm on my phone (LG G6, with Google Gboard, Scandinavian layout)

Keyboard:

[attachment file=32475]

Average speed shown here at 39, had it up to 40, but forgot to screenshot it

[attachment file=32474]

Fastest I managed today was 43 wpm

[attachment file=32476]

Second fastest at 42 wpm:

[attachment file=32477]

I know that the rules said that I need to post two times that are the same, but if I manage one 42 and one 43, it should cound as two 42 wpm runs at least, right (I highly recommend changing the rules to have counting score be the lower score of the two best scores)? So I'd like to enter at 42 wpm.

Side note: After 15 minutes, my phone heats up way too much; the 821 chipset can't handle Chrome browser and displaying typeracer for longer periods of time. I started lagging so much at the end that it became impossible to type.

Question to you competitiors: What signs are problematic for you? For me it is A, E, T, I, O L and D and also C, B and N (V usually works for some reason). With a physical qwerty and some practice I could definitely hit faster speeds. With my old Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro I was certainly much faster.

Also, what is your type racer score with real keyboard and proper touchtyping? I average around 80-83 wpm, and can hit up to 90 wpm.

On my slab phone (Doogee S60) I get quite some variation between the handful of races I did, between 18 and 24wpm. It's frustrating to play with touchscreen, but now I have a point of comparison when the pro1 comes :). No doubt I'll be faster on physical keys after a bit of getting used to.

Question to you competitiors: What signs are problematic for you? For me it is A, E, T, I, O L and D and also C, B and N (V usually works for some reason). With a physical qwerty and some practice I could definitely hit faster speeds. With my old Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro I was certainly much faster.

I use mixed pecking and swiping techniques and other than ' " _ and other non-letter symbols they all kinda work equally well for me, rather some words I often think I could use swipe because it's common and then it gets it all wrong and has no good suggestions so i have to backspace it away and waste time.

Also, what is your type racer score with real keyboard and proper touchtyping? I average around 80-83 wpm, and can hit up to 90 wpm.

I average around 75wpm, but if the stars align (typing the same easy text a few times or something that just types nicely somehow) I can get up to 95-100wpm briefly.

I don't use swyping in landscape mode. Too large distances.

I feel we need to set up two divisions here. Physical qwerty in one, and touchscreens in another, otherwise there wont be any use in comparing scores. As can be seen above, physical qwerty beats the living crap out of touchscreen typing.

I don’t use swyping in landscape mode. Too large distances.

I feel we need to set up two divisions here. Physical qwerty in one, and touchscreens in another, otherwise there wont be any use in comparing scores. As can be seen above, physical qwerty beats the living crap out of touchscreen typing.

Surely there must be a mistake here. Everyone knows that touch screens are every bit as fast as physical keyboards. That's why we don't need physical keyboard phones in the marketplace. They aren't any faster and they over-complicate things and make phones too thick and ugly. Nobody wants a physical keyboard on a phone.

(extreme scarcasm mode re-disabled)

• Haha 1
New entry – 61 wpm with the photon Q. (61&63 in the screenshots). I think thats about the fastest I can get, depends on how quick I can catch up to typos or lost letters due to the worn out keyboard..

Wow! You can defeat average joe on an full size keyboard with that.

• Like 1

New entry – 61 wpm with the photon Q. (61&63 in the screenshots). I think thats about the fastest I can get, depends on how quick I can catch up to typos or lost letters due to the worn out keyboard..

Wow! You can defeat average joe on an full size keyboard with that.

You'd be surprised how slow the average joe types on keyboards. 25-35 wpm is what most people average around. Might be pushing it up towards 40 wpm with today's generation. I type faster on my touchscreen (at 35-40 wpm) than many of my friends do on their computer keyboards.

At 60 you are considered a typist, and that is awesome with a phone!

https://www.livechatinc.com/typing-speed-test/

The average person types between 38 and 40 words per minute (WPM), what translates into between 190 and 200 characters per minute (CPM). However, professional typists type a lot faster — on average between 65 and 75 WPM.

NOTE that this is language dependent, as the mean word length varies substantially between languages. see e.g. http://www.ravi.io/language-word-lengths and https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-longest-and-shortest-languages-in-terms-of-average-length-of-words

https://www.livechatinc.com/typing-speed-test/

Thanks! Unfortunately that site does not work for my phone for some reason; page can't detect "space"-input from touch-keyboard.

I did, however, try it out on my Apple keyboard at work. I think I did fairly well (see results attached). I just have a super hard time reading scrolling (especially side scrolling) text like that. Every time the text moves, I lose my focus a bit. Thus I like typeracer more with its actual display of a text. It also helps me at least when the text is actual sentences so my mind can actual plan ahead. :P

[attachment file=Screenshot 2019-08-30 10.54.48.png]

[attachment file=Screenshot 2019-08-30 10.56.08.png]

[attachment file=Screenshot 2019-08-30 10.57.37.png]

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, netman said:

So how fast can you type on the Pro1? Or on a touchscreen phone? We had this thread in the old forum before anyone had their Pro1 but I couldn't find it.

Here is my record on the Pro1 :). I think about 20-30wpm on normal phones.

image.thumb.png.37c289a05a57e0af0bd868939bdcd141.png

^ This is on: https://typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu/

When I first glanced at that, I thought it was saying 262 WPM!  Let's just say I was suspecting it wasn't accurate. LOL

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Would be really interesting to see one with fine fingers do full ten fingers typing on it on a table!! Any takers? Any of the ladies? @sequestris ?

I'll take a video tomorrow. When I have it on a flat surface like I did today I can rock things out pretty fast.
The limitations are that I still have to look at the keyboard to know where the keys are and hitting the arrow key and the offset...
But all things considered, I do okay. Thing is I don't do 10 fingers so much as first two fingers on each hand and thumbs.

You have to keep in mind I had my blessed Sidekick for years so the muscle memory is there.

• Like 1

Oh, and not that it's much relevant, but one of the very first things that I did when I got the phone was disable Chrome, install the Samsung browser, add the 7 or 8 ad blockers and enjoyed an ad-free, clutter-free browser that doesn't eat up clock cycles.

I think it may be also useful to know the normal keyboard typing speeds for each person as well to have a more complete picture about the speed difference between normal and phone keyboard typing. When I had to type a lot my max was around 100 WPM on a normal keyboard, nowadays I'm happy if I reach 85 WPM. I don't think I'll be able to do ten fingers typing on the Pro1, my fingers are not that tiny but we'll see in a few months.