Craig

How fast can you type on a phone?

Anyone reporting speeds over 100 wpm (phone or PC) gets a visit from this guy:

Image result for blade runner

I know there are people who type faster than that, but we aren't taking any chances.

• Haha 2

Hahhaha, I type over 100wpm on full size keyboard bring on the Voight-Kampf test.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I remember getting ~280 keystrokes with my Photon Q so I'm very happy with my software keyboard (Clavis Keyboard) results. However, this makes the wait on the Pro1 even more painful.

Comparison:
~420 keystrokes / 70wpm on laptop

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

Keyboard (1).jpeg

I haven't taken the test yet, but it really depends on what you type. If it's RDP+SSH and +bash-related stuff, there is much more to consider: visible screen area while you type.

Like... typing sudo apt get and editing config is simply painful with on-screen keyboards. Typing regular text works alright via voice and especially gboard.

Though I like typing on the pro1 keyboard, because it usually doesn't vanish of I touch the display somewhere by accident (and that happens rarely if I use my pointy fingers while the pro1 is e.g. on my bed). I am not as good with my thumbs.

Gonna give it a try later.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, divstar said:

I haven't taken the test yet, but it really depends on what you type. If it's RDP+SSH and +bash-related stuff, there is much more to consider: visible screen area while you type.

Like... typing sudo apt get and editing config is simply painful with on-screen keyboards. Typing regular text works alright via voice and especially gboard.

Though I like typing on the pro1 keyboard, because it usually doesn't vanish of I touch the display somewhere by accident (and that happens rarely if I use my pointy fingers while the pro1 is e.g. on my bed). I am not as good with my thumbs.

Gonna give it a try later.

Well, there's also a big difference between a keyboard like the one I use (PC layout) and those from Google or Apple. Their layout is horrible and you have no direct access to specific letters (äöüß), numbers and special characters ( §$%&/=?{[]}\ ).

Writing code would also be much easier with the keyboard I use since <> and similar characters are easily accessible.

The main difference I see is that you can type completely blind on hardware keyboards while I do have to look from time to time what I am typing on the touchscreen. That makes writing more comfortable (and you can pay more attention to your surroundings.