• <18
    • 18-24
    • 25-30
    • 31-35
    • 36-40
    • 40+

7 hours ago, _DW_ said:

It's gonna be interesting to see the results ๐Ÿ˜„

After about 67 votes so far, the oldies (40+) have a narrow lead over 25-30 group. ๐Ÿ™‚

It's quite surprising to see so many votes in 18-24 age bracket and so few in 36-40...

These trends can ofcourse change with more votes and a bigger sample size.ย 

But it may be promising for F(x)Tec to eventually have a large customer base.

I believe that the largest target demographic are those who already had a UNIX-beard when the first Nokia Communicator was launched.. ๐Ÿ™‚ย And subsequently, also the largest group of actual buyers. Hence, I'm not sure that all forum members voted honestly in this poll. :P

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, sdx said:

I believe that the largest target demographic are those who already had a UNIX-beard when the first Nokia Communicator was launched.. ๐Ÿ™‚ย And subsequently, also the largest group of actual buyers. Hence, I'm not sure that all forum members voted honestly in this poll. ๐Ÿ˜›

A lot of people seem to think like you, but in my opinion the poll is correct.
I myself are in my 20's and my first (and best) smartphone was the famous N900.

Hwkb are the superior form of input. And everyone who was once used to it knows that no matter what Age. It has nothing to to with not getting the new stuff.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rejujacob said:

After about 67 votes so far, the oldies (40+) have a narrow lead over 25-30 group. ๐Ÿ™‚

It's quite surprising to see so many votes in 18-24 age bracket and so few in 36-40...

These trends can ofcourse change with more votes and a bigger sample size.ย 

But it may be promising for F(x)Tec to eventually have a large customer base.

You should have made it 36-41 so it had a bigger catchment ๐Ÿ˜„

• Haha 3

As a math guy allow me to make a bit of stick splitting. The closed age intervals are unequal in size. 6 7, 6, 5 resp. 5 years this muddles the results slightly, as this in it self would give a bias towards the younger groups.

I mean if we (for the sake of argument) assumed one person in all ages from 15 to 64 had voted, the numbers would be 6%, 12% 14%, 12%, 10%, 10%, 48% 50%.

So surprisingly we see more votes less than 36 than an even distribution, and less votes 36 and above. My guess is that it reflects the age distribution on the ones active on the forum more than the distribution of the buyers.

(Edit: Numbers corrected)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
16 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

My guess is that it reflects the age distribution on the ones active on the forum more than the distribution of the buyers.

Its a good point younger may participate more.ย  I wonder how many of the older range are in the Tech industry in some form ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

As a math guy allow me to make a bit of stick splitting. The closed age intervals are unequal in size. 6, 6, 5 resp. 5 years this muddles the results slightly, as this in it self would give a bias towards the younger groups.

I mean if we (for the sake of argument) assumed one person in all ages from 15 to 64 had voted, the numbers would be 6%, 12%, 12%, 10%, 10%, 50%.

So surprisingly we see more votes less than 36 than an even distribution, and less 36 and above. My guess is that it reflects the age distribution on the ones active on the forum more than the distribution of the buyers.

The closed age intervals are 7,6,5,5.

But not sure how these survey people come up with the age brackets. Had taken a sample distribution from Nielsen.

India-smartphone-41.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, rejujacob said:

But not sure how these survey people come up with the age brackets. Had taken a sample distribution from Nielsen.

India-smartphone-41.jpg

Well in this example I would argue that the data collection possibly had more details than the display of the result.
Since in this graphic only one category is relevant it is not too bad to merge the last n groups. Still does not accurately show the results.
You know what they say: Never trust a chart you didn't manipulate yourself.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

Well in this example I would argue that the data collection possibly had more details than the display of the result.
Since in this graphic only one category is relevant it is not too bad to merge the last n groups. Still does not accurately show the results.
You know what they say: Never trust a chart you didn't manipulate yourself.

Don't try to read the chart, it's not relevant. It's only to show example for age distribution used to collect data for mobile users.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, rejujacob said:

India-smartphone-41.jpg

Ooops I was too quick there, but the point is the same, that it is uneven..

1 minute ago, rejujacob said:

Don't try to read the chart, it's not relevant. It's only to show example for age distribution used to collect data for mobile users.

That is what I mean, the Chart does not show the distribution for the data collection, only the distribution of the data for the presentation!

10 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

That is what I mean, the Chart does not show the distribution for the data collection, only the distribution of the data for the presentation!

That's an interesting point, but how can you be sure they are not the same?

Edit: Ok got it. The would simply mention their age at the time of collection.ย 

Edited by rejujacob
5 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

The collection is not problematic, and can easily be accumulated.

The issue is that the interval sizes are different, so even if the underlying distribution is even, you would see an uneven presentation .

• Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, rejujacob said:

That's an interesting point, but how can you be sure they are not the same?

I can't, I just said I think this presentation is accumulated to display a single fact (nearly 50% are in this group)

Just now, EskeRahn said:

The collection is not problematic, and can easily be accumulated.

The issue is that the interval sizes are different, so even if the underlying distribution is even, you would see an uneven presentation .

Sure, I just wanted to point out, that it may be a bad idea to take the data distribution out of a result presentation.
This presentation seems to be tailored to support the "50% are in this group" fact.

• Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

I can't, I just said I think this presentation is accumulated to display a single fact (nearly 50% are in this group)

Sure, I just wanted to point out, that it may be a bad idea to take the data distribution out of a result presentation.
This presentation seems to be tailored to support the "50% are in this group" fact.

I think his point was that he used a grouping seen elsewhere, more that the grouping it self. And yes indeed that grouping seems tailored for their purpose. ๐Ÿ™‚

Seems like most of the active forum users have voted.ย  I declare those over 40 winners!

If this poll is ever repeated, could break down the old folks a bit more, and make equal sized groups...ย  to see the real winner... i.e. 18-24, 25-31, 32-38, 39-45, 46-51, 52-58, 59+

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2

I suspect if you did 5 year intervals out to 70, you'd end up with a classic positively skewed frequency distribution with most being in the 25-30 interval and the frequency dropping off slowly with older and older people. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Craig said:

Seems like most of the active forum users have voted.ย  I declare those over 40 winners!

If this poll is ever repeated, could break down the old folks a bit more, and make equal sized groups...ย  to see the real winner... i.e. 18-24, 25-31, 32-38, 39-45, 46-51, 52-58, 59+

Why don't you go ahead and start the poll, it only takes a click to vote and we all have the time since we are still waiting for shipping updates.. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/6/2019 at 9:14 AM, rejujacob said:

Why don't you go ahead and start the poll, it only takes a click to vote and we all have the time since we are still waiting for shipping updates.. ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

This thread got linked elsewhere, and reminded me of this, so I thought why not - New Poll: https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2598-poll-user-age-group/

ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1