Feature Requests

4 hours ago, Craig said:

Dead Zone Control Allow user to customize each of the four edges.  Ideally two settings for each border - how many pixels to disable completely (no display), and how many to disable touch response.

Exactly what I was thinking.  I don't know if a pixel can be on for display, but not touch, but if it can, that would be great for people who are accidentally triggering the touch on the edges.  And for those people who don't like the curved screen distorting what is being displayed (odd, isn't it, that all this money is spent on making displays display things clearly, and then some percentage of people have no problem with it being distorted on the edges, because it supposedly looks cool?), they could both shrink it to have a normal, good, sane, flat display, and shrink the touch size to match.

And to be clear, I am not pointing fingers at fxtec.  They didn't start the trend. They did support it, but they might have done it out of necessity, due to limited quality screens available.  I'm pointing fingers at manufacturers (*cough* Samsung *cough*) putting in gimmicks and other companies following along.

Edited by david
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A new feature request. Disable Fingerprint Sensor when Display Off  This would mean you'd have to push power button before using fingerprint sensor.   This could be a toggle in case some peo

I'm starting this thread to list what I feel are some missing essential features in the stock version of Android.  Not necessarily bugs, but things that are missing that would be great for FxTec to im

I would like that as an option too. But let the user choose. It is not an issue if the Pro1 is in a flip case, with the flip on the button side, but it is an issue if used without. For the unit in a

Well, I ran out of time to edit the OP.  I really wish the forum didn't have this restriction, never been on a forum with limited editing window before...

But I thought of another bonus feature that would be really nice.

Disable Quick Settings Menu in Notification List while Landscape  or at least while keyboard open - Perhaps a toggle in slider settings.

I don't need to see quicksettings.  If I want quick settings I'll pull down quick settings with two fingers.  In landscape, they take up 1/3 the screen with very little room left to read notifications.

• Thanks 2

OK. I have no pro1 so far. But I read about the problem, the touchscreen reacts, when typing the number row.
Maybe the deadzone feature (above) would be helpful.

I have another suggestion: what about disabling the complete touch screen while typing. 

implementation 1: when typing the screen could be unresponsible for a short period of time (200ms) But the type could already do something on the touch screen
implementation 2a: one shortcut on the keyboard could toggle deactivate / activate the touchscreen. So I can chosse, when I need it. There should be a indication of this state
implementation 2b: like 2a, but with auto-reactivate after a user-specified time (2 or 5 seconds e.g.). There could be a small indication bar on the screen a reactivation countdown, that lets me renew the deactivation.

Maybe there is already an app, that can do this, or we can ask the developer of an slightly similar app to add this feature for us.

There are apps in the play store, that can block the touchscreen, but for e.g. handle over the phone to a kid and prevent accidentially touch or for non-touch while Netflix.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's two reasons to use the deadzone feature.  One is you want to square up the corners and just not have stuff on the curved part.   But touching the screen while typing the number row, and also touching the sides while holding the phone sometimes, are the reasons to just turn off touch sensitity only on the edges.   I tried using the built in wm overscan command, but not all apps respond to it correctly.

13 hours ago, Craig said:

Yeah, there's two reasons to use the deadzone feature.  One is you want to square up the corners and just not have stuff on the curved part.   But touching the screen while typing the number row, and also touching the sides while holding the phone sometimes, are the reasons to just turn off touch sensitity only on the edges.   I tried using the built in wm overscan command, but not all apps respond to it correctly.

also grabbing the phone itself for people with large hands/fingers could cive accidental screeninteraction.

At first thought we would perhaps like larger display than touch area, but that will be bad for things that expects edge interaction e.g. the scroll bars in android settings...

• Like 1
6 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

larger display than touch area, but that will be bad for things that expects edge interaction

Maybe.  I had assumed/hoped it wouldnt matter... if for example 35 extra pixels displaying that can't be touched on the bottom row (which is what I found worked alright to avoid bumping screen while typing and not having stuff wrap around the curved part).  Since that portion is mostly on the curved part anyway, it's not like I was swiping from there before...   But yeah that's certainly a concern and it would have to be properly implemented to avoid such concerns. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Craig said:

Also play store reports it has ads, I wonder where the ads are...

They put them on the curved edges.  But since the curved edges distort what is displayed, you won't notice them.

Joking.

• Haha 4
5 hours ago, Craig said:

Maybe.  I had assumed/hoped it wouldnt matter... if for example 35 extra pixels displaying that can't be touched on the bottom row (which is what I found worked alright to avoid bumping screen while typing and not having stuff wrap around the curved part).  Since that portion is mostly on the curved part anyway, it's not like I was swiping from there before...   But yeah that's certainly a concern and it would have to be properly implemented to avoid such concerns. 

In my book what is really needed is a much more radical UI design guide line change, so the modern phablets could keep the huge display areas, but touch interaction could be selected limited to the reachable area only, and also allowing for 'dead' zones for edges, and the corner for the thumb reaching over.

But this is most likely not going to happen until a completely new OS arises...

• 3 weeks later...

A new feature request.

Disable Fingerprint Sensor when Display Off  This would mean you'd have to push power button before using fingerprint sensor.  

This could be a toggle in case some people prefer current implementation, but in my experience it gets triggered so often that it's rarely useful as is.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
39 minutes ago, Craig said:

A new feature request.

Disable Fingerprint Sensor when Display Off  This would mean you'd have to push power button before using fingerprint sensor.  

This could be a toggle in case some people prefer current implementation, but in my experience it gets triggered so often that it's rarely useful as is.

I would like that as an option too. But let the user choose.
It is not an issue if the Pro1 is in a flip case, with the flip on the button side, but it is an issue if used without. For the unit in a plain shell type case (and I would guess the same with a flip to the other side) it only very rarely happens, so here it is a matter of taste if you would want the option On or Off..

• Like 6
On 1/9/2020 at 7:55 PM, Craig said:

A new feature request.

+1 for this feature, most of the times I grab my phone it shows "too many attempts" and I still have to manually unlock. Just grabbing the phone from my pocket or holding it in my right hand makes my palm touch the sensor and fail the attempts. Enable after the display is On would be the perfect fix for me.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Bloodhoundje said:

+1 for this feature, most of the times I grab my phone it shows "too many attempts" and I still have to manually unlock. Just grabbing the phone from my pocket or holding it in my right hand makes my palm touch the sensor and fail the attempts. Enable after the display is On would be the perfect fix for me.

I'll just disable the fingerprint sensor entirely. Problem solved. :)

• Sad 1

Yeah me too, I've given up on it; even if this feature is implemented I may not use it.  But your suggestion is not  a feature request that might improve initial impressions or out of the box experience, etc.   I made this thread to come up with real feature requests they might implement.

Edited by Craig
2 hours ago, Craig said:

Yeah me too, I've given up on it; even if this feature is implemented I may not use it.  But your suggestion is not  a feature request that might improve initial impressions or out of the box experience, etc.   I made this thread to come up with real feature requests they might implement.

i disagree. If you want to have it out of the box, all that is required is a question during the initial setup OR simply changing the defaut, as it would be better for about anyne not using a case. So would clearly be an improved feature IMHO.

You can already disable it during initial setup, you are in fact asked if you want to setup the fingerprint sensor at that time.

So a feature request to disable fingerprint sensor is not a feature request cuz it already exists as an option in current software. 

My idea for this feature is simply that the fingerprint sensor should be optionally set to not care how many attempts are made.  If it gets a good finger print read, it works.  Doesn't care how many off position touches or wrong finger touches it gets.  It's like setting password attempts to unlimited.

I don't care as I too have disabled the fingerprint sensor, but seems like a good option for folks to have.

46 minutes ago, Craig said:

You can already disable it during initial setup, you are in fact asked if you want to setup the fingerprint sensor at that time.

So a feature request to disable fingerprint sensor is not a feature request cuz it already exists as an option in current software. 

Please try to understand, this is NOT about disabling the fingerprint sensor, but to only have it active when the display is on, that is a press on the power button is needed first.