Ebay VS buying direct: Is this for real?

I've been watching for used prices since before my pre-order arrived. Now I already have my phone (and I love it), but this trend has me curious:

Sold: $650 (December)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114025919171?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Sold: $750 (January)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124065044910?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Active: $795 Buy-It-Now OBO
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202892767007?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Active: $849 Auction (1 bid)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223881371712?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I guess I expected the price to start going down, now that so many of us have been getting ours. How much extra is it worth to get the phone early, for those still waiting? Also, who bids $849 (+$20 s/h) when there is one for $795 BIN (+free s/h)?

Someone, please help me understand this... like, do we know when the next batch is expected (for real)? In other words, do we know how many days "difference" these listings have over buying from fxtec.com? For example, if it's 30 days difference, then that comes out to $3-$5 per day for rush order. Seems steep!

Maybe more importantly, do we know if that next batch is going to include some extra "on hand" so that people can just buy direct later? Eventually, I'd like to refer friends (enthusiastically!!) but would prefer to have them buy direct, since that supports the brand better. I want a Pro2 to happen, after all...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, everlast4308 said:

Someone, please help me understand this...

Consider that the phone you are using is a relic (we're talking "it belongs in a museum" here, as did/do a lot of the phones customers looking for hardware keyboard had/have), it used to fit your needs, but these grew and the phone is starting to have a lot of problems.

Here comes the Pro1, pretty much a direct upgrade, you can still do all of what you are currently doing and more. Problem is, it's not cheap. You already paid for it, and there's no real replacement for your current phone on the market so you can't just buy a cheap one in the meantime (or you simply don't have the money to spare for two phones, one of which you suspect will get replaced next week/in the next two weeks/next month) and that hypothetical cheap one doesn't match your needs anyway (that is why you want the Pro1, after all). Now, you get annoyed on a regular basis by the obsolete hardware and software since you still use your old phone intensively, so you get constant reminders that a replacement is supposed to be arriving soon. Except that it keeps being delayed.

Here comes an option to pay extra to get your phone within a few days, for sure. You might have problems replacing it if it turns out to have QA issues, since you didn't buy it from F(x)tec, but you might still consider it a risk worth taking if your frustration grows large enough.

Edited by Raksura
  • Like 3

@Raksura Thank you for weighing in, that does help it make sense. The level of benefit still seems unclear to me (30 days early vs 90 days early; I guess we don't know)

I'll admit I'm much more out of the loop than I was PRIOR to getting my phone. That gigantic "production status" thread was a fun read (we'll call it fun, sure) to help pass the time while I was waiting. But I just recently heard about Chen's note to us, that they may be delayed by coronavirus (on top of holiday gap). Maybe that's contributing to the spike in price / demand, but I hope it's overblown.

Well, I still didn't receive my phone and considering the virus I don't know when I will. February doesn't sound realistic to me.

The only reason I'm not buying an existing phone is that I don't feel that it is ready for switching. There are many bugs and issues, the custom roms are not ready, so there is a lot of work to do in order to actually use it. I'll happily invest my time when I receive it but it would be dumb to order it earlier for having to invest more time into it.

Since many other people don't mind the tiny bugs and don't have special requirements like I do, they could be potential buyers.

• Sad 2

Everlast

I can tell you I am the person who won the eBay phone that was selling for $849.  So first I have to say thank you for this post because I wouldn't have looked on eBay for it unless I saw this post.  But for me paying $859 made sense for a few reasons first I have one on order but don't know when I will get it because of the issues in China.  My Priv witch I love battery is almost dead.  (The battery life dropped 17 percent in the time it took me to type this).  But for me the $ 859 I paid is a reasonable price for this phone.  Truthfully my max bid was $1100.  And I would think the amount of people on this forum would pay more the $700 for the phone also.  If Fxtec would have made their original starting price $850 I don't think their sales would really be any different.  And truth if they do a pro 2 I would love to see a more up-to-date hardware even if it means spending the equivalent of a new iPhone.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 5:42 AM, ThiccAl said:

Bought mine from eBay just to try it, its a nice phone, but I think I'm gonna be reselling it to stick with my iPhone

It is certainly a big leap between an Iphone and a Pro1.
Nice that some variety exists now, so each can find what suit them the best.
I for one hope I never have to go back to Ios.
Though my magnetically attached landscape&portrait keyboard solution for it worked reasonable well. See here for more images.
(Note how it when attached in portrait, is mounted so the device is centred between G and H)

IMG_20200215_192559~01.jpg

• Haha 4
17 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

It is certainly a big leap between an Iphone and a Pro1.
Nice that some variety exists now, so each can find what suit them the best.
I for one hope I never have to go back to Ios. Though my keyboard solution for it worked reasonable well. See here for more images.

IMG_20200215_192559~01.jpg

Did you seriously GLUE a keyboard to an iThing? That is some hard-core keyboard commitment! That's not to say that I wouldn't do it too if I didn't have other good options like the Droid 4. :P

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, silversolver said:

Did you seriously GLUE a keyboard to an iThing? That is some hard-core keyboard commitment! That's not to say that I wouldn't do it too if I didn't have other good options like the Droid 4. :P

It looks like he even put glue on the sides to prepare for 2 more iphones, so he could have 3 devices in one! :-)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, silversolver said:

IIRC they used to make slideout BT keyboard cases for iPhones, but haven't made them for anything recent.

Thats probably the remnants of such a thing, with the ye olde iPhone case ripped off.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, lameboyadvance said:

IIRC they used to make slideout BT keyboard cases for iPhones, but haven't made them for anything recent.

Thats probably the remnants of such a thing, with the ye olde iPhone case ripped off.

Yep, they were made by BoxWave and they called them the Keyboard Buddy.

6 hours ago, silversolver said:

Did you seriously GLUE a keyboard to an iThing? That is some hard-core keyboard commitment! That's not to say that I wouldn't do it too if I didn't have other good options like the Droid 4. 😛

No no no, use the link.... It is MAGNETIC and works in either landscape or portrait....

image.thumb.png.ec98181ab06ffcd08bd0e4a8239dfe70.png

• Haha 3

@Jayfb and @ThiccAl thanks for sharing.

I'm still curious about getting a spare unit, so that I can fearlessly tinker with mine. I suppose if I find a cheaper used one, that one would be the one to tinker with. For example, as far as I know we don't have any teardowns yet. I'd love to be the one to do that. @fxyo1's would even work for that! (RIP)

Also, the trend continues! A new high price, wowzah!

Active: $976 Buy-It-Now OBO ($1,295 Canadian, converted)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/F-x-tec-Pro1-Pro-1-by-Fx-Tec-128gb-QWERTY-PKB-Phone-Montreal/254503113358

1 hour ago, MickH said:

That set up is very similar to TOHKBD (The Other Half KeyBoard) for the Jolla 1. 

In landscape indeed yes (though only BT). But note that this ALSO sits magnetically attached in portrait, for poorly coded apps or BB-die-hards.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, everlast4308 said:

@Jayfb and @ThiccAl thanks for sharing.

I'm still curious about getting a spare unit, so that I can fearlessly tinker with mine. I suppose if I find a cheaper used one, that one would be the one to tinker with. For example, as far as I know we don't have any teardowns yet. I'd love to be the one to do that. @fxyo1's would even work for that! (RIP)

Also, the trend continues! A new high price, wowzah!

Active: $976 Buy-It-Now OBO ($1,295 Canadian, converted)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/F-x-tec-Pro1-Pro-1-by-Fx-Tec-128gb-QWERTY-PKB-Phone-Montreal/254503113358

If you decide to buy a spare, I listed mine on swappa instead of ebay, I'm sure we can work out a deal. Just trying to recoup some of what I spent since I decided sticking to what I had before.

23 hours ago, ThiccAl said:

If you decide to buy a spare, I listed mine on swappa instead of ebay, I'm sure we can work out a deal. Just trying to recoup some of what I spent since I decided sticking to what I had before.

If it was Qwertz, I would instantly buy it. I've got search requests on some vendors and ebay, but no phones are out there. Currently I'm willing to pay 800€ for getting it soon, that shows how desperate I am getting.