Poor call audio quality on Pro1?

Is anyone else experiencing poor call audio quality both over network and facebook messenger?

It looks like the Pro1 handset audio is being distorted by the network radio resulting in poor audio output during call. 
On top of that I keep having people complaining they can't ear me very well, meaning audio input is also poor. 

Was jut trying to have a discussion with someone and I had to call back with my Huawei P30 Pro which worked perfectly fine, same place same SIM card, same network 😞
Can't say I'm surprised since that's really tricky to get it right even for large and experienced companies.

Annoying but I'll keep on trying...

• Sad 3
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've now had about 8 calls in the setup above. I've not enabled WiFi calls again yet. Only one of those has had some "buzzing" - so it seems to made an overall improvement to call quality. In the ca

Is anyone else experiencing poor call audio quality both over network and facebook messenger? It looks like the Pro1 handset audio is being distorted by the network radio resulting in poor audio

I experience distorted sound from ear speaker due to high volume which can't be lowered any further. I bet it will get better when the high volume bug is sorted.

18 minutes ago, sdx said:

Tried a VoWifi call, I could hear the other end just fine. My 2c.

It was still audible albeit poor quality. It would make sense and confirm the GSM radio is disturbing audio output during call if you get no such disruption over WiFi. 

To be honest my main problem was about the other hand not hearing me well enough. Could just have been bad luck though. 

I have similar issues HANDS FREE only, but recording a video is just fine, so not a mic issue as such. So I HOPE it is something they can fix with a software fix. My guess is that it is the noise reduction using the signal from the second mic that is teasing, but have not tried to do explicit testing.

If I plug in my earphones with a microphone everything is fine. And the other end is also happy if I hold the phone to the ear...

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

have similar issues HANDS FREE only

My original report was based on my experience with hands 🙂
Though I've had problem with people hearing me when using hands free with video call over messenger too.

I just had another phone call, same place, same SIM and the person on the other side was hearing me just fine so it does not look like there in something inherently bad with audio input. 

However radio distortion in built-in handset speaker during call is very real. You can still hear people but it's annoying. That most certainly is a hardware issue. We can only hope they can fix it in the next hardware revision. It's those kind of distortions you usually get when putting a phone next to a speaker.

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Slion said:

It's those kind of distortions you usually get when putting a phone next to a speaker.

Another phone call, same issue, this time more pronounced and even getting in the way of hearing what the other person was saying.
Only time will tell but I'm genuinely concerned this will turn out to be my main issue with this hardware.

1 minute ago, Slion said:

Another phone call, same issue, this time more pronounced and even getting in the way of hearing what the other person was saying.
Only time will tell but I'm genuinely concerned this will turn out to be my main issue with this hardware.

Hmm, I guess I better do some experiments... I think calling another phone with a headset and muted mic, should make it possible to see erhm hear if there is a clear pattern in what is going on. E.g weakening the signal by putting the phone in a partly closed microwave should force it to increase sending power, and that could make it worse if caused by interference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Hmm, I guess I better do some experiments... I think calling another phone with a headset and muted mic, should make it possible to see erhm hear if there is a clear pattern in what is going on. E.g weakening the signal by putting the phone in a partly closed microwave should force it to increase sending power, and that could make it worse if caused by interference.

I tried, and can confirm my deduction from what people told me they heard.

• Held to the ear I hear zero problems.
  • But hands free there indeed ARE issues.

To my experiments it seems like a matter of a minimum LEVEL of the incoming sound to the microphone. If I speak clearly like I would naturally do outdoors or to a meeting it gets through just fine, but if I lower my voice (including mumbling), it is cut away, though not immediately, but sort of faded out. A guess could be that it is the algorithm that is meant to filter out background noise that needs to have its bottom level raised (or perhaps even user adjustable).

I hear no added electronic noise (like the classic phone close to an FM radio).

The secondary microphone seems to be just ignored. Though that is fine during hands free, it should be used hand held.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just had a great experience with a video call through facebook messenger. Even got wows about the front camera wide angle and quality being so cool.
Audio was working fine too.

• Like 1

For me, I haven't experienced problems with voice calls even in hands-free mode (despite of loud minimal level of volume in normal mode).

However, I have tried some software phones and I had problems in some of them.
So the integrated SIP client and MizuDroid had distorted audio while Linphone works absolutely well (no sound distortion).

I don't know how Facebook Messenger works but it may also have similar distortions like MizuDroid (I don't know, just a guess).

• Like 2

I'm on Verizon and call quality has been great despite some mild hearing impairment from too much loud noise exposure over the decades.  I only use network, the Farcebook account I have is an unpublished one for investigations that I use from a dedicated virtual machine.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Alcesterlocks said:

My device has sound quality issues on speaker phone I am told it is really difficult to hear me on the other end of the call when on speakerphone 

That's also my experience. Speakerphone I mostly used with FB messenger for video calls and so far audio and video quality makes Pro1 barely useable for that purpose. Though occasionally it works acceptably, it's inconsistent enough to be off putting.

There is also some nasty video/audio sync issues when video calling with FB messenger. Sometimes it looks like the audio is lagging two seconds behind the video.

My workaround so far is to switch back to my trusty Huawei P30 Pro. However I have good hope this could be fixed by improving Pro1 drivers. Trouble is I wonder if FxTec has the resources to get this done. I wish they could open source their Pro1 driver and app stacks so that the community could help them out. I mean they have a customer base of skillful engineers they should make use of if this project is to succeed. 

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, Slion said:

That's also my experience. Speakerphone I mostly used with FB messenger for video calls and so far audio and video quality makes Pro1 barely useable for that purpose. Though occasionally it works acceptably, it's inconsistent enough to be off putting.

There is also some nasty video/audio sync issues when video calling with FB messenger. Sometimes it looks like the audio is lagging two seconds behind the video.

My workaround so far is to switch back to my trusty Huawei P30 Pro. However I have good hope this could be fixed by improving Pro1 drivers. Trouble is I wonder if FxTec has the resources to get this done. I wish they could open source their Pro1 driver and app stacks so that the community could help them out. I mean they have a customer base of skillful engineers they should make use of if this project is to succeed. 

Have you tried to raise your voice, like if you were at a meeting? In my experience it is when the volume gets below a certain level it is cut off. This obviously is not a solution, but if this generally is a workaround, it is 'merely' a need of adjusting some limit somewhere....

• Like 2

I had a good experience video chatting with my brother yesterday over fb messenger. No sync problems, audio and video worked well. So it does look like call quality is rather inconsistent, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's awful.

Next time I get issues with fb messenger video call I'll try rebooting to see if that helps. 

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Wikiwide said:

My issues with call quality, under Sailfish OS, are as described below:

You may want to open a dedicated thread to discuss audio quality under Sailfish OS. That thread was more about stock audio experience.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Arduvan RUS said:

I have the same problem. My interlocutor practically does not hear me, Dad constantly asks, asks to speak louder. Speakerphone - ОК, everything suits. I hear the other person perfectly

Could you be more specific about your problem? Which software are you using, phone of facebook messenger? Is it when using it hands-free or handheld?

Edited by Slion