Pro1, Ghost touches and other digitizer and display issues

My phone seems to be imagining touches. I do not mean me accidentally touching the edges --- that's annoying, but I can live with it. I mean this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jDNKGRVmvXtfF2QN8

This does not happen all the time, I haven't found any regularity so far. It does mostly happen in the same area of the screen.

Edited by EskeRahn
Broadened the title, beyond touch-issues
  • Sad 2
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Make your displays last longer I've recently ordered a bunch of those 'b-ware' displays and out of seven, two were in good condition and one is usable (~20€ each). That's okayish since there are no

@John Veness If you press with force onto the middle of your display, it will bend slightly. That's very noticeable with replacement displays since they have a sticky back and you can hear the glue st

Okay... so I'm on my third screen right now and it's still behaving after a few months. I'm starting to suspect the culprit that damaged the first two screens may have been a phone case I've attached

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

My phone seems to be imagining touches. I do not mean me accidentally touching the edges --- that's annoying, but I can live with it. I mean this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jDNKGRVmvXtfF2QN8

This does not happen all the time, I haven't found any regularity so far. It does mostly happen in the same area of the screen.

Time to get out the ouija board app!

• Haha 3

Does this happen regardless or where you go or only in one room/house? I've seen wandering lost souls EMI (electromagnetic interference) drive things like touchscreens mad before, albeit only in fairly extreme cases like firing a stun gun close to a device.

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I have only applied a screen protector (the original one that came with the phone) today, I don't like them, but wanted to see if anything changes. It didn't.

Then it must be a faulty unit... have you tried the touch-test in the FactoryKit, that can be accesssed as an activity or by the hidden menu. See this. It is the fifth on the list (I made an image with some English texts added a few posts down in the thread)

49 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

It does not seem to depend on where I am (and a magnetic field that strong would probably kill my watch, so I'd notice).

EMI are not just magnetic fields that'd indiscriminately affect anything, there's a frequency component to these things and effects can be quite random, like how old GSM phones would make nearby speakers give dutdutdut sounds when an SMS came in. If it happens wherever you are though Eske is probably right about it being a defect with the phone 😞.

I have the same issue with another phone after a screen change. One side isn't glued perfectly so the screen sticks up a millimeter (I didn't bother renewing all tapes since I expected the Pro1 soon after).

In my case it happens in cold temperatures, often conneted to temperature changes (and therefore humidity changes). I think it's humidity in the screen/electronics so check for small gaps where water could enter.

What you can also do is heat the thing up evenly (no more than 40°C) and then put it in the fridge for 15min. This removes water from the internals due to vaporization.

Put it in a towel afterwards if the phone got cold in the fridge, otherwise you would get the opposite result due to condensation.

Edit: I can't grant that it will fix your issue, but there is a probability. You can also wait for a screen or phone replacement, but who knows how long it will take.

Edited by SchattengestaIt
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

I see these ghost touches when a certain charger is connected. On another phone, I had ghost touches in strong winds...

AH! I have troubles using touch with some chargers and cables too, though not all. No Ghost touches as such, but 'just' misinterpreted touches.

PS I see it with wall chargers only, never connected to a PC.

That should be an issue with the ground connector connected to the phone casing (by the usb case). Many phones and even laptops have this issue, some even give you small shocks (nothing lethal, don't worry). I don't know the exact reason but it could be that the electricity causes electrical induction at the sides of the screen. And since the touchpad is very sensitive that could be your ghost.

It shouldn't happen with any battery source like battery packs or laptops, could happen with some PCs though, but it's very unlikely. Don't know about cars. It shouldn't happen but they can cause similar effects.

Would be really great if that was the issue since it's easily fixable.

1 hour ago, SchattengestaIt said:

It shouldn't happen with any battery source like battery packs or laptops, could happen with some PCs though, but it's very unlikely. Don't know about cars. It shouldn't happen but they can cause similar effects.

Generally an AC high voltage input might have the issue, and a low voltage DC is very unlikely. Could be induction but I guess surface currents could be an issue too, or simply an 'unclean' ripled DC signal. It would be nice with a setting for the sensitivity, to adjust to match different humidity and skin texture.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

simply an 'unclean' ripled DC signal

I am too lazy to get ye olde oscilloscope out of the cabinet, but I too suspect it to be electrical noise. Possibly not even from the charger itself. The ghosting only happens when the phone sits on the plastic surface of the table. IT is a height adjustable office table with a laptop and two screens on it. Maybe the table itself acts like a capacitor and the surface of the phone gets charged electrically when it is in contact with the table surface while connected to a power outlet.

Oh my, so much text and I bet @[email protected] is not even struggling with ghost touches only while charging ... 😄

I too would like to have a setting for the touchscreen sensibility. Or get to know if a configuration file can be edited manually. This applies to countless other things too. E.g. the width of the swipe up unlock gesture, the minimum volume and volume steps, ...

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Slion said:

I've turned off my Pro1 as those ghost inputs were really bad. I probably won't be able to input my PIN when I turn it back on.

After leaving my Pro1 turned off for a few hours the problem seems to be gone, thankfully.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Slion said:

After leaving my Pro1 turned off for a few hours the problem seems to be gone, thankfully.

Interesting... have you tried to simply restart the phone or turn it off / on before you turned it off for a few hours?

2 hours ago, VaZso said:

Interesting... have you tried to simply restart the phone or turn it off / on before you turned it off for a few hours?

Yes, simple restart or quick shutdown did not help.

I'm a bit concerned it will come back, so far so good though, let's see how the day goes.

• Sad 1
  • EskeRahn changed the title to Pro1, Ghost touches and other digitizer and display issues