Serious performance issues

You need to select overclocking option and instead to go over 100%, just select something below.

Exactly what setting(s) are you changing?  The "Speed Limit" in general settings maybe?  Emulated CPU Clock Speed?

Edited by Craig
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EDIT: The cause of the problem has been found: Original post:  monitored couple game sessions with KFMark and noticed that Pro1 has indeed some issues with gaming performance. The phone can

It's definitely the Snapdragon 835 CPU. The sound issue is a bug with the system forcing a power saving rule as investigated below. This is at the top of our list for the coming update/s.  

CPU Throttling Test and GFXBench (use Manhattan Battery Test for long term test) are good apps for thermal test. I will post my results shortly.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, 3zet said:

Okay. That's getting weird.

I don't know what I've done but not only I fixed the issues with performance with my unit (Mario Kart was working much slower than you showed on the movie @Craig), I also found a way how to speed them up significantly! You need to select overclocking option and instead to go over 100%, just select something below. Now emulation will be much smoother at cost of fps (when emulation can't keep up game runs slower than it should so its better to keep it run normally when fps are a bit lower). 

Now all the games runs just fluently. Slowdown at the end of video was make by thermal throttling I think. 

I have no idea what was the issue with emulation speed. I didn't change any option. Because of the stock firmware I'm using onscreen controls and also there is sound stuttering. 

Here is a detailed informaation which tells what does the "Emulated CPU Clock Speed" do.

- long version: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-help-understanding-the-new-cpu-clock-settings?pid=358116#pid358116

- short version: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-help-understanding-the-new-cpu-clock-settings?pid=358118#pid358118

If you select lower than 100% the emulation may work better but FPS is lower like you said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did.   I've also tried it at low setting, to me it's quite obvious the gameplay is slower then.

I'm still unsure why stock is significantly worse than lineage without such tweaks.   But I dont have a galaxy s8 to compare to but seems like pro¹ is doing what it's supposed to, but isn't quite powerful enough to play these games at full framerate.   For reliable emulation, maybe try N64/PSX!  I bet Mario kart N64 runs full frame rate !

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

I did.   I've also tried it at low setting, to me it's quite obvious the gameplay is slower then.

I'm still unsure why stock is significantly worse than lineage without such tweaks.   But I dont have a galaxy s8 to compare to but seems like pro¹ is doing what it's supposed to, but isn't quite powerful enough to play these games at full framerate.   For reliable emulation, maybe try N64/PSX!  I bet Mario kart N64 runs full frame rate !

So where are the differences...?

• 2 months later...

EDIT: The cause of the problem has been found:

Original post:

monitored couple game sessions with KFMark and noticed that Pro1 has indeed some issues with gaming performance. The phone cannot keep up steady FPS during game play because CPU freqs goes up and down all the time. To me it looks like issue with kernel settings rather than throttling. Here are few gameplays compared to the Redmi Note 4 which has much weaker CPU. Both have FullHD(+) screen so results can be compared.

Light game: Subway Surfers

F(x)tec Pro1: average 52FPS (limit 60FPS)

1172458332_SubwaySurf_20200506095059.thumb.jpg.78a064efe15c19ab195bbd5008e900cf.jpg

Redmi Note 4: average 59FPS (limit 60FPS)

spacer.png

Heavy game: Shadowguns Legends (graphics settings LOW)

F(x)tec Pro1: average 54FPS (limit 60FPS)

Legends_20200506102059.thumb.jpg.a0f9112d5b6d84bb10c132aaa4489a4d.jpg

Redmi Note 4: average 46FPS (limit 60FPS)

spacer.png

I tried to push Pro1 to its limits by setting graphics to max. Freqs still keeps going up and down but you can now see throttling after 10min of playing.

Heavy game: Shadowguns Legends (graphics settings ULTRA HIGH)

F(x)tex Pro1: average 45 FPS (limit 60FPS)

Legends_20200506100233.thumb.jpg.2cfbaf7bd413b39ffaf031c4a951f6ff.jpg

Here is a shorter gameplay of Subway Surfers where you can see the freqs stats also. I hope that this issue could be fixed in future.

Screenshot_20200506-144937.thumb.png.8083f366d9a6329371a49f043bb1ca66.png

Edited by FlyingAntero
Updated post with the root cause
  • Thanks 7
8 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

The phone cannot keep up steady FPS during game play because CPU freqs goes up and down all the time.

What I find most interesting is the very first one, the light game.  The redmi seems to handle it fairly well (excluding one glitch, probably some other process or something), whereas our phone is jumping all over the place and can't hold the line.

I'm super curious if lineage does this jumping up and down too.  I looked at the app you used, seems you install a magisk module then the 1.5 apk from github, is that what you did?  Havent looked for subway surfers yet, but imagine that's easy to find?

7 hours ago, Craig said:

What I find most interesting is the very first one, the light game.  The redmi seems to handle it fairly well (excluding one glitch, probably some other process or something), whereas our phone is jumping all over the place and can't hold the line.

I'm super curious if lineage does this jumping up and down too.  I looked at the app you used, seems you install a magisk module then the 1.5 apk from github, is that what you did?  Havent looked for subway surfers yet, but imagine that's easy to find?

You can use KFMark without root also but then you need to use ADB via computer to activate monitoring. With root you can just use Magisk module to enable monitoring.

Without root:

- Download KFMARK-Android-1.5.apk and KFMARK-Windows-Activation-Tool-1.5.zip from here: https://github.com/aifou-kfmark/KFMARK/releases and setup ADB connection before monitoring

With root:

- Download APK-file above and KFMark Enabler via Magisk

KFMark is in Chinese and it is not fully open source so I don't know how realible it is. I tried to use GameBench first but I was not able to get it work on Redmi Note 4 (didn't try with Pro1).

Subway Surfers is available on Play Store but also easy to find elsewhere, like https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sybo-games-2/subwaysurfers/subwaysurfers-1-118-0-release/#downloads

I used 1.118 version.

I monitored gameplay sessions with Xperia XZ1 Compact (running Lineage OS 17.1) also for reference. It has the same Snapdragon 835 chipset but 720p screen so results can't be compared "apple-to-apple". However, you can have a view how SD835 phone should be able to perform.

Light game: Subway Surfers

XZ1 Compact: average 60FPS (limit 60FPS)

spacer.png

Heavy game: Shadowguns Legends (graphics settings Ultra High)

XZ1 Compact: average 60FPS (limit 60FPS)

spacer.png

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, zurvan2 said:

Governor: interactive

Can you compare performance on your device with original governor and with ondemand, please? 

Interactive scales the clockspeed over the course of a timer set arbitrarily by the kernel developer

We found the possible reason! 

7 minutes ago, 3zet said:

Can you compare performance on your device with original governor and with ondemand, please? 

How would you recommend doing so? I haven't noticed any performance problems so far, so I don't think I have any use cases that would stress it.