The top part of the touch digitizer is not responding anymore

Hello
Imagine having waited for a really long time to get your phone adn, suddenly, the touch screen digitzer stops working.
That's exactly what happened to me this morning.
As soon as I woke up i could not interact with the quick toggles in the notification area, or swipe away some of the notifications.
I managed to move around by using the arrow keys and with some effort, i got into developer settings and activated the touch screen reticle.
The responsiveness stops at around the volume down button going up.
I thought this was a sotware issue, rebooted a couple of times, nothing.
Then when I got into the Lineage Recovery, i could not interact with the back arrow on the top of the screen.
This is clearly a hardware problem, and it really saddens and angers me it happened spontaneously after I've taken a really good care of the phone and never dropped it, on top of the year long preorder waiting. mostly because I do not have a backup phone at the moment.

I sent a mail to the support, I hope they at least reply, in the meanwhile, if someone has some suggestions on how to get it working PLEASE help me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could try going back to stock rom but on top of the lost data, I would be still stuck on the same situation.
If it doesn't work in the recovery, i think it's very unlikely it would work on stock (or even Sailfish or very other ROM) if it's hardware related.
Moreover, the dead section doesn't rotate as the phone does, it stays in the same zone.

@Doktor Oswaldo Yes, rotating the phone allows me to access the parts of the UI that were previously in the dead spot, but the location of the dead zone doesn't change at all😞

• Thanks 1

@alexmarzulli

Your screen might be broken but you can try to fix it with Piezo igniter (you can dissamply an igniter from a lighter). I have successfully fixed couple LCD screens with this method. I don't know if it works with AMOLED screens but I think that you don't have anything to lose.

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@FlyingAntero I will give it a try as soon as I get home, my coworker only has a flint and wheel lighter on hand
I don't have too much hope because the dead area is very extended, but still, if it works even temporarily at least I can continue using the phone properly until they replace it under warranty

• Like 2

i am not sure if i mentioned it already in this forum (my search before didn't help) but i experienced some two weeks ago the very same problem as alexmarzulli did in that the upper 16% or so of the screen became unresponsive to touch, out of the blue, for no clear reason.  i used the built-in factory test mode which revealed that the area of the last two upper rows with red circles are indeed unresponsive to touch as i can't erase them like the others lower down :

Fxtec.20200219-230710-000.a.thumb.jpg.26079b5cacf4eb3f6bbd9354f948ba49.jpg

i contacted Fxtec and they promised me a replacement screen in the coming weeks - see my recent post in this forum.  obviously it's at times pretty inconvenient as i need to rotate the Pro1 allover the place which can be even more tricky when i use the keyboard with some apps while the settings buttons are usually located to the very left (in landscape mode, very top in portrait mode).  anyway, one manages somehow...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • 3 months later...

TeZtdevice, your advice was greatly appreciated - i replaced the original screen of my Pro1 and the new screen works flawlessly, or let's say, the upper 1/6 part of the screen started to be responsive again !  that's fantastic because apps like SONOS or FOTOS cannot be rotated and do not allow landscape mode.  now i am able to reach reach again the apps' settings buttons.

of course i also very much appreciate Fxtec's support service that sent me this replacement part for free !

• Thanks 3