New OTA update, stamped 2020-03-06 [UPDATED]

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are very sorry for the issues caused.    After some investigation we have found the reason, it was due to the upgrade of security patch to October which needs to be approved from the auth

UPDATED: Hi everyone, there is a new OTA update stamped 2020-03-06, offered. This REPLACES the OTA stamped 2020-03-04, that proved to have an error with Safetynet.   IF you already

THE OTA have been Temporarily suspended, as it had a bug  breaking the "SafetyNet", fix should be on it's way quickly.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

You got it offered as OTA update without manual download already?

Well, I had to go and check for update manually in the settings.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, david said:

I guess I'll bite the big stick and go for it as well.  😂

I successfully did it when rooted with Magisk.

See this for the discussion:  https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2537-magisk-install-step-by-step-root/?do=findComment&comment=46376

And further down, this for the steps:  https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2537-magisk-install-step-by-step-root/?do=findComment&comment=46403

Edited by david

Warning: This OTA appears to break safetynet on unrooted devices.   If you need google pay or want to download netflix from the play store, you may wish to consider your options before taking this update.

@SirBaconIII try the magisk module 'safetypatch' - it works for me under lineage which fails without it

Edited by Craig
  • Sad 1
21 minutes ago, SirBaconIII said:

Anyone who's unrooted, can you check your safetynet status after taking the OTA? I'm rooted, but I failed the check when I passed before.

It is not happy.... (Though it still is marked as certified in the Android Market, Settings)

Screenshot_20200306-021749.png1369111375_Screenshot_20200306-02241401.thumb.png.b25d3d450c6580f2301f077199e6be99.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
23 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

It is not happy.... (Though it still is marked as certified in the Android Market, Settings)

In Play Store->Settings->Play Protect certification, mine reads "Device not certified".  This is with me rooted with Magisk.

Edited by david
14 minutes ago, netman said:

just to confirm bootloader is locked and it passed safetynet before update?

image.png.d686ca5812f8b5aefd6a973b090acae2.png

on the bootloader screen it says

Device state - Locked.

But also

Secure boot - no

ADD, for old status a few weeks ago, see this https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2521-notice-regarding-getting-google-safetynet-certified-software/?do=findComment&comment=44278

4 minutes ago, david said:

In Google Play->Settings->Play Protect certification, mine reads "Device not certified".  This is with me rooted with Magisk.

try safetypatch module for magisk; I'm certified that way (with lineage).

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Craig said:

try safetypatch module for magisk; I'm certified that way (with lineage).

That does indeed work, but it installs into system. I just uninstalled it so I wouldn't have to remember to uninstall it before taking a later OTA.

14 minutes ago, Craig said:

@SirBaconIII try the magisk module 'safetypatch' - it works for me under lineage which fails without it

I installed this module.  It required a reboot.  When I ran the SafetyNet check after reboot, it still failed, stating it couldn't access the play services.  I ran it again a few seconds later and it worked.  I went into the Play Store and could see Netflix (I already have it installed).

I disabled the module and rebooted and again can't pass SafetyNet and can't see Netflix in the play store.

Enabled it again and rebooted.  Can see Netflix and pass SafetyNet.  But again, requires running the test a second time before it succeeds.  In fact, it fails exactly every other time and succeeds every other time.  

In Play Store->Settings, there is no "Play Protect certification" item at the bottom of the list of settings anymore.  Maybe this is a side effect of SafetyPatch.

8 minutes ago, SirBaconIII said:

That does indeed work, but it installs into system. I just uninstalled it so I wouldn't have to remember to uninstall it before taking a later OTA.

Where did you find out that it does that?

19 minutes ago, david said:

Enabled it again and rebooted.  Can see Netflix and pass SafetyNet.  But again, requires running the test a second time before it succeeds.  In fact, it fails exactly every other time and succeeds every other time.  

That was using the SafetyNet Test app.  I downloaded SafetyNet Evaluation and it passes every time.  Magisk Manager's built in checker has worked every time too.  I have had the issue with SafetyNet Test failing sometimes in the past, and I think I tracked that down to that a given app can only do a check a limited number of times in a given unit of time.  That app is probably more popular, so it exceeds this limit faster than other apps, hence fails sometimes.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Craig said:

Safetynet Helper is an ad-free open source alternative for checking safetynet status.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scottyab.safetynet.sample

I tried it.

1)  It runs in portrait mode even if I have my phone in landscape or have my keyboard out (I'm using the auto-rotate option, not any forced rotate apps).

2)  It failed safetynet every time I ran it. :-/

SafetyNet request: success

Response validation: fail

Error Msg:

ApiException[7] 7:

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Chen found this reply that might explain things....

Yes, that's what I mentioned above.  Thanks for confirming. :-)

But to be clear, that doesn't mean the latest OTA firmware is okay.  It is still causing a problem with SafetyNet.

Edited by david
4 minutes ago, david said:

Yes, that's what I mentioned above.  Thanks for confirming. 🙂

But to be clear, that doesn't mean the latest OTA firmware is okay.  It is still causing a problem with SafetyNet.

Yes we can get two results, both bad:

Screenshot_20200306-021749.png

Screenshot_20200306-033918.png

• Thanks 1
Just now, EskeRahn said:

Yes we can get two results, both bad:

Yes, and the "real" test, of not being able to see Netflix or other @#$%ing apps in the Play Store that don't like users to be able to use their phones the way the users want to use them. 😠

• Sad 1

I updated my device today. I've never rooted or unlocked the bootloader. The Play Store says "Device is certified" under Play Protect certification, and I can see Netflix (which is already installed) if I search the Play Store. I tried running a SafetyNet checker, but it had reached its API quota.