PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion

The latest build of LineageOS 16.0 (for SD835-Pro1 only) is available at

https://findus.zwergenschaenke.net/~puma/linux.html#lineagepro1.

Go for the ROM dated 201230326. It includes backported ASB fixes up to 5 March 2023.

As for the last months, there is no upstream code review any more. I can confirm that there are no problems on my own Pro1.

Beyond the ASB, there are no changes since last month. My full list of increments with respect to the upstream LOS 16.0 tree can be downloaded for reference.

Have fun.

• Thanks 2
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am pleased to announce that the Pro1 has received official support in LineageOS 16.0.   You can find the builds and installation instructions on the official LineageOS Downloads page.

Lineage recovery will offer to install from sdcard if, and only if, a physical sdcard is present and it is able to be read without any decryption (eg. it is not used as adoptable storage).  

In my opinion LineageOS 16 was a very important OS for the Pro1 that brought the best out of the device at a moment when stock couldn't (yet) . Although not a developer, I can well imagine it also bro

Posted Images

So ... in case you want to relive the good old days with the Pro1 (SD835 only!), LineageOS 16.0 just got another update. At 

https://findus.zwergenschaenke.net/~puma/linux.html#lineagepro1

fetch the ROM dated 202304024. It gives you backported ASB patches up to 5 April 2023.

There are no other changes compared to last month's release. Refer to my tarball of localmods for the full list of code changes with respect to upstream LineageOS 16.0.

Have a lot of fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Another update of LineageOS 16.0 (for SD835-Pro1 only) is available at

https://findus.zwergenschaenke.net/~puma/linux.html#lineagepro1.

The ROM dated 20230516 gives you backported security patches up to the 5 May 2023 ASB. No other changes since last month. As usual you can refer to the tarball of local mods to learn all about differences with respect to the official lineage-16.0 tree.

Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...

Hi @claude0001
In order to experiment and gain freedom in my SD card I've installed your (non official) LOS 16 on my old Pro1.
Unfortunately I had some hassle bug in my phone (who remains me the beginning with LOS in a new pro1)
-No camera (app crashed at launch on day 2)
-When receiving (or doing) a phone call, screen is stupidly dark, with absolute no chance awaking as I'm in a phone call, it's funny but not for a long time.
-Strangely keyboard is...slower, with often ghosts touch.

What a pity, it was so nice to freedom access to SD card, but as pro1 is my only phone, I can't live with this at this moment.
I precise I've reflashed phone with stock (using LOS17.1 before) and complete wiped data before any LOS flash. Could this mean there are hardware difference in good old pro1's ? Also surprisingly LOS 20.0 work like charm.
No luck here, and I'm afraid for the pro1x if this phone come one day in my hand, but this will be an other story 😄

So, this was my report, and really really a big thanks for your good work 😄❤️

Edited by raymo
tag

Hi @raymo,

Thanks for your interest and feedback.

So you are saying you had no HW keyboard issues with LOS 17.1, but input problems started when you tried my ROM? That is interesting: My keyboard driver indeed contains several mods with respect to the upstream LOS 16.0/17.1 one, as documented in my patch log. Partly, those are backports from LOS 18.1 and above that are actually supposed to improve keyboard behavior ... E.g. I think unwanted multiple presses of the same key became much fewer (for me) after I had backported the respective patch from 18.1. I do experience problems with (sometimes) unresponsive keys on my Pro1, but was assuming this was due to the ageing of the keyboard ... Maybe I was fooling myself ... I am currently compiling a test build with all my keyboard-related mods disabled, i.e. with the original driver as it came with (official) 16.0 and 17.1, and will see what difference that makes on my device. Thanks for reporting.

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce your other two issues:

While I rarely use the original camera app, it does seem to do its job on my Pro1 with my latest ROM (May 2023 ASB). I normally have OpenCamera set as default, though, so I never really battle-tested it.

Also screen brightness auto-adjusts fine during voice calls for me (if set to auto) and can also be manually adjusted using the top-bar slider. But maybe I misunderstand the problem here.

Edited by claude0001

This is weird, but I am quite sure my keyboard has a hardware problem.

In my opinion this is related with cable sheet or with parasite appearing in the i2c bus, as when I press on its border it suddenly works perfect, see my related post here.
I wanted to dismount the whole keyboard, but I never found a phone replacement for my daily use, and I'm a bit afraid I could definitively broke something. Unfortunately Fxtec doesn't send spare keyboard.
As very few users have reported a problem with (sometimes) no responding keys I'm not sure this problem is related with your Lineage builds, but with a faulty hardware or something.

Today it's not perfect, but suitable for daily use (and I developped an huge allergy on touchscreen system particularly with the original intrusive android os).

I had two second-hand pro1 (I loose the first one) and who were (as far as I know) igg first batch pre-ordered. I had this strange behaviour on the two devices. My best option will be to find a broken pro1 as spare parts, not easy to find with many LTE problems reported on the pro1x.
And I'm not sure keyboard from 1x is compatible with the 1's.

Another story, the bug with black screen hapenning in phone call was here with first LOS16 batch but disappeared later with OTA update, wich is weird to explain as your build use the latest drivers and patch.
This bug is sometime reported in LOS with other phone, but in my case it seems not related with proximity sensor, I tryied some fix to recalibrate proximity sensor and other workaround with no luck.

@raymo: I'm a bit confused now.

I had understood your initial report in a way that, with my unofficial LOS 16.0, you experienced keyboard problems that you didn't previously on 17.1 and also not on your present 20.0?

I anyway just built a test-rom with all my keyboard mods and backports disabled, and will test that on my device. However, I too believe that my keyboard in fact just has (small) hardware issues.

It is true that the proximity sensor is sometimes slow to react when you take the phone off your ear, but eventually the screen always does switch on for me. I did nothing to change that sensor's behaviour in my rom. Yes, I am based on the same code and blobs than the last official LOS 16.0 OTA (20201026-nightly) was built from. Of course, on top of that, I include all the ASB fixes that were made in the 2.5 years since. Those are quite a few patches indeed, but none of those was device-specific to the Pro1 ...

Edited by claude0001

I had understood your initial report in a way that, with my unofficial LOS 16.0, you experienced keyboard problems that you didn't previously on 17.1 and also not on your present 20.0?

True, and sorry I was unclear.
Yes my keyboard problems were really really worse with your unofficial LOS16.0, ghost touchs and no responding keys, really worse. And it's far better in LOS20.0, as it was in LOS17.1, strange.

it is true that the proximity sensor is sometimes slow to react when you take the phone off your ear

Same here in LOS20.0, but works far better as in LOS17.1, where I had to push power button to awake screen in phone call.

Don't worry I've reported here because I thought it could maybe bring an explanation, considering a hardware who is not perfect. Also fingerprint works well in LOS20.0  (slowly, but well), poorly in 17.1 and quite not in 16.0.
I wonder how my settings could explain this as I tested for months in LOS16.0 and LOS17.1.

Edited by raymo

@raymo: So I installed a test build of my ROM with all my keyboard-related modifications disabled. I.e. the driver is the same than in (official) LOS 16.0 and 17.1.

My sometimes unresponsive keys ("N" is the most problematic one for me) are definitely still there. As I remembered, I get a lot more unwanted doubles ("douubless") this way, as the respective patch introduced in LOS 18.1 is now missing.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1

I've uploaded another build of LineageOS 16.0 at

which includes backported ASB fixes up to "5 June 2023". Go for the ROM dated 20230628.

Based on @raymo's feedback above, I have removed @Slion's "fn-tab = alt-tab" patch from the keyboard driver for now. It was the only mod that -- while significantly modifying the driver code -- was never included in any later official LOS trees. Based on my own testing, I still do not think it introduces any problems with regard to keyboard response, but I want to give it a shot. If "fn-tab=alt-tab" is super-important to you, please PN me, I'll then make a dedicated ROM for you.

As usual, all my code modifications with respect to upstream LOS 16.0 can be followed from the patch tarball linked above.

Have a lot of fun.

• Like 1
On 6/27/2023 at 5:54 PM, raymo said:

In my opinion this is related with cable sheet or with parasite appearing in the i2c bus, as when I press on its border it suddenly works perfect, see my related post here.

If my memory does not fail me we have had at the least one other post on this, though I think it was quite a while back, maybe 2020 or 2021?

If I recall correctly it was the screw under the sticker that was loose.

13 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

If my memory does not fail me we have had at the least one other post on this, though I think it was quite a while back, maybe 2020 or 2021?

If I recall correctly it was the screw under the sticker that was loose.

This thread? 

Edited by MonCon
  • Like 1

This one :

Unfortunately just tightening the screws doesn't work for me.

Edit : find a workaround, I've entirely disassembled the keyboard, and it works perfect (in LOS20.0)

I will test a few days and make a new post later with pictures. Joy of joyces.

Edited by raymo
workaround
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I have uploaded a new build of LineageOS 16.0 for Pro1 (SD835) at:

It gives you ASB fixes backported to Android 9 up to patchlevel "5 August 2023". There are no other changes with respect to the June update above.

I will continue to make new builds of LOS 16 as long as I use my Pro1 or until Markus stops backporting the ASBs, whatever comes first. However, as the Pro1/X community -- and by extension this forum -- seems to be dying, I'm not sure I will keep updating this thread much longer. If you are using my builds, check my website above for ROM updates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 6 months later...

Because this thread received a like recently:  

I have moved to a Pro1-X several months ago and have not made any new builds of LineageOS 16.0 for the (SD835) Pro1 since.  Even though I liked LOS 16.0 more than recent versions of Android, there is no realistic going back for me. If you really want an updated LOS 16 for your Pro1,  p.n. me. I'll then see what I can do ...

• Like 4
20 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Because this thread received a like recently:  

I have moved to a Pro1-X several months ago and have not made any new builds of LineageOS 16.0 for the (SD835) Pro1 since.  Even though I liked LOS 16.0 more than recent versions of Android, there is no realistic going back for me. If you really want an updated LOS 16 for your Pro1,  p.n. me. I'll then see what I can do ...

Thank you very much for your work. Clean Android 9 is the last one I can tolerate and use without repulsion.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Laska said:

I've faced one major issue with this ROM: everytime I reboot my device date and time is resetted to time and date of rom's compilation. How can I prevent this?

would a workaround be to enable settings -> system -> date & time "set time automatically" ?Screenshot_20240316-091328_Settings.thumb.png.859e09724a4aecf172e9d9e1c081d7fc.png

1 hour ago, MonCon said:

would a workaround be to enable settings -> system -> date & time "set time automatically" ?Screenshot_20240316-091328_Settings.thumb.png.859e09724a4aecf172e9d9e1c081d7fc.png

Yes, I know but often I don't have data service on this device (I'm, using it without SIM card). But why does it even happening? Of course battery is fully charged. I've never met this kind of issue on a stock rom.

• Sad 1

Hi Laska,

Indeed, what you observe is expected behaviour if "System > Date & time > Automatic date & time" is disabled and/or if automatic syncing of the clock is not possible because of lack of network coverage or because no SIM is inserted in the device.

I do not know if this behaviour is specific to my ROMs or if it is a general thing with Android 9/Lineage 16 and the realtime clock. I did not (consciously) change anything in the code with respect to this. A quick internet search suggests it is quite widespread behaviour for Android devices to just assume they'll always be able to sync time via network upon boot, and hence to not care about setting the RTC properly. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pro1 just did the same ...

With "automatic date & time" enabled, this has always been a non-issue for me. I think NTP syncing should also work with no SIM in the device if you are in reach of a trusted WiFi.

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, Laska said:

I've faced one major issue with this ROM: everytime I reboot my device date and time is resetted to time and date of rom's compilation. How can I prevent this?

This is not rom-specific. There are no internal clock in any smart phone I know of, so it needs to fetch the time from some external source. But if it got neither WiFi nor a sim, who could it ask?

We had that in some threads here some four or five years back....

It COULD flash the time somewhere in going down so it was not extremely wrong when booting, but would still be wrong, and might be worse if people was unaware that the time slipped backwards each time. So the risk of people thinking the time was right would be higher

They could activate GPS and try to get the clock that way, but would slow things down, and might not work indoors.

• Thanks 2
9 hours ago, Laska said:

Yes, I know but often I don't have data service on this device (I'm, using it without SIM card)

Oh, I can see how that could be a major pain in the bum if you bootup somewhere without a trustable useable wifi signal.  

5 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Indeed, what you observe is expected behaviour if "System > Date & time > Automatic date & time" is disabled and/or if automatic syncing of the clock is not possible because of lack of network coverage or because no SIM is inserted in the device.

5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

This is not rom-specific. There are no internal clock in any smart phone I know of, so it needs to fetch the time from some external source. But if it got neither WiFi nor a sim, who could it ask?

I do not know if this behaviour is specific to my ROMs or if it is a general thing with Android 9/Lineage 16 and the realtime clock. I did not (consciously) change anything in the code with respect to this. A quick internet search suggests it is quite widespread behaviour for Android devices to just assume they'll always be able to sync time via network upon boot, and hence to not care about setting the RTC properly. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pro1 just did the same ...

Fascinating, I always presumed mobile phones had either a little lithium battery or a big capacitor holding up the clock while powered down or rebooting or such.  

@claude0001Some interesting reading in those links on your post, and this behaviour apparently going back some time.  

5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

They could activate GPS and try to get the clock that way, but would slow things down, and might not work indoors.

@EskeRahnGPS sync is an interesting idea, hadn't thought of that.  

@LaskaOr could you hotspot off another sim card equipped device and get your sync this way?  Would this even work?  

Edited by MonCon
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

There are no internal clock in any smart phone I know of, so it needs to fetch the time from some external source.

5 hours ago, MonCon said:

Fascinating, I always presumed mobile phones had either a little lithium battery or a big capacitor holding up the clock while powered down or rebooting or such.

OK, I ventured a down that rabbit hole somewhat, and it turns out you are, in a sense, both right.

In fact, phones had, and still have, a real time clock (RTC) that is able to keep time even with the device powered-off.

However, as I learned from here and here, the RTC on Qualcomm devices is read-only. Upon the very first power-on, it initializes itself at 1st January 1970, 00:00:00 UTC ("Unix epoch"), and then just counts from there onwards through the lifetime of the device.

Indeed on my (rooted) Pro1, the RTC clock returns

rostkatze1:~ # hwclock -r
1973-09-11 08:31:30.407173+01:00

3 years and 9 months ago coincides pretty well with the date in mid-2020 when I received my Pro1. Note that the (volatile) system clock is independent of the RTC and does show the correct time, as set automatically on boot via the "Automatic date & time" option:

rostkatze1:~ # date
Sat 16 Mar 11:54:40 CET 2024

However, re-setting the RTC based to the time of the system clock using the hwclock command (as would work on any regular Linux PC) fails because the RTC device does not accept the input:

rostkatze1:~ # hwclock --systohc
hwclock: ioctl(RTC_SET_TIME) to /dev/rtc0 to set the time failed: Invalid argument

As explained in that Qualcomm forum thread above, the only way Android can make use of a QCom RTC to keep precise time across reboots (or longer power-downs) is to keep record of the offset between the system clock and the RTC. At the next powering-on, the system time can then be reconstructed from that information and the number of seconds spent in power-off state, as measured by the RTC. Seemingly, many vendors or devs simply do not care about implementing that workaround ...

Supposedly, the read-only nature of the Qualcomm RTC is there to harden the systems against attacks relying on faking an earlier (absolute) lifetime of the device.

I learned something today. Otherwise nothing to see here ... 😄

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 4

Thank you all for your replies, especially @claude0001! :)

This is the first time I see android phone resets time without SIM. I have Motorola from which I don't use daily but sometimes powers on without SIM or WiFi and time is correct, exept for situation when it loose all it's power. Well, I have to live with it.

I have two more question according to this rom:

1. How can I customize keyboard layout? On stock I've just edited .kl file but I don't see this one in /system/usr/keylayout in Lineage.

2. Did someone of you have Radio FM apk from stock rom? The one from Lineage is not working well.

Hi @Laska,

The keyboard driver for the Pro1 has been completely rewritten by @tdm when he did the original port of LineageOS.

The keymap file in LOS 16 is located in /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/aw9523b/6-0058/keymap. However, any changes to that file are not persistent across reboots.

If you have root, the easiest way to make changes persistent is the following:

1. Install the app Run Userinit from F-Droid. Execute Run-Userinit once and grant it root privilege.
  2. Next, place your modified keymap e.g. in /data/system/keyboard/keymap (you may have to create the "keyboard" folder first).
  3. Put an executable script named e.g. 01_install_keymap_mod.sh into /data/local/userinit.d/, with the following content:
#!/system/bin/sh
#
cp /data/system/keyboard/keymap /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/aw9523b/6-0058/

Now Run-Userinit should take care of overwriting the default keymap with your modified one at every boot.

Note that @tdm had actually intended keyboard modding to be more user-friendly. On the "keyboard" panel in Settings, you'll find an option named "Custom keymap" that should have automated copying of the keymap, as done above by our script.

Unfortunately, the function got broken somewhere along the way after LOS 16 had become official, and was finally fixed only in LOS 18.1. As further changes to keyboard handling had already been introduced at that point, backporting the patch to LOS16 seemed no longer trivial and I did not try it. If possible, get root for your LOS16 (I miss addonsu ...) and use the above boot-script method for automating this.

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 5