USB Type-C Hubs

Hi,  I was wondering, has anyone used a USB-C hub with the phone and can confirm if you can charge and use the hdmi out both at the same time?

Could someone also give some pictures about the notification LED? How visible really is the LED in dark? Can you see it from different angles on a well lit room?

3 hours ago, Claimmore said:

Hi,  I was wondering, has anyone used a USB-C hub with the phone and can confirm if you can charge and use the hdmi out both at the same time?

I have tried it earlier and it worked for me.
However, "quick charge" feature did not work through it, but the phone has gained charge so it is clearly not depleted (battery percent was increasing) while I was playing Youtube videos on it.

3 hours ago, Claimmore said:

Could someone also give some pictures about the notification LED? How visible really is the LED in dark? Can you see it from different angles on a well lit room?

Currently it is not easy for me to take a photo, but I feel it is visible well and there is no problem with angle.
In a dark room, it could have been much darker anyway.

One thing to mention, when there is an indication which transforms from on to off state of the LED and back (so tries to change its brightness), it behaves like if it tries to do an analogue-like transition, but it clearly isn't. It has a very few steps which makes the brightness change of the LED to be not fluent at all.

Edited by VaZso
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm using mine with a Dell P2419HC monitor. It has an USB C port and 3 USB3 ones.

After connecting the Pro1 via USB C to the monitor, and a USB dongle for a keyboard and mouse combo, I have the phone display on the Dell, phone charging and keyboard and mouse with one cable.

May be a bit off topic, but could help if you want to connect to a monitor not a TV.

• Like 2

Works great with Dell U3818DW with built-in KVM switch. I'm pretty sure it does fast charge too cause charge level goes up real quick.

However all I get on the screen is just a duplicate of the smartphone screen, no desktop mode it seems on stock Android 9. I wonder if there is an app for that? That's off topic though 😁

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Slion said:

Works great with Dell U3818DW with built-in KVM switch. I'm pretty sure it does fast charge too cause charge level goes up real quick.

However all I get on the screen is just a duplicate of the smartphone screen, no desktop mode it seems on stock Android 9. I wonder if there is an app for that? That's off topic though 😁

Desktop mode is only supported from android 10 upwards. There are some apps that emulate it in android 9, but they have been pretty buggy for me.

P.S.: Nice monitor. I'm on the U3417W and it's awesome.

Edited by Rud
  • Thanks 2
On 12/9/2020 at 7:57 PM, Rud said:

Desktop mode is only supported from android 10 upwards.

I was just trying that on my Huawei P30 Pro and it is very limited. Looks like they have a long way to go to have something that's really convenient to use.
First of all it would only output FullHD resolution, fail. Then some apps are missing from desktop mode, like the settings app. Then it looks like the permission dialogs would only show up on the phone screen. Also drag & drop is not a thing in Android... looong way to go. I wonder if Samsung Dex is better.

Edited by Slion
1 hour ago, Slion said:

I wonder if Samsung Dex is better.

Samsung DeX on Galaxy Tab S6 is indeed much better. It does have a Settings app, resolution goes to 2560x1440 which while not perfect is much, much better than Huawei P30 Pro.

Edited by Slion
9 hours ago, Slion said:

I was just trying that on my Huawei P30 Pro and it is very limited. Looks like they have a long way to go to have something that's really convenient to use.

Does it support a different resolution than phone screen? In mean, does it switch to 1920X1080 to use the whole screen you're connecting to instead of scaling the almost ultra-wide aspect ratio of the phone screen giving you black bars on the top and bottom of the external display?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Oh shit I totally forgot the Pro1 has USB-C. I found a USB-C hub in the trash, good reminder that I should try it with my Pro1.

I found one at an IT recycling facility and got it for free but I am hesitant to connect my Pro1 to it. Some Fujitsu box with 3Xusb 3, 2Xusb c, ethernet, displayport, hdmi, vga and a connector for a power cord.

This:

https://www.fujitsu.com/fts/products/computing/peripheral/accessories/connectivity/usb-type-c-prot-replicator.html

Edited by Rud
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Rud said:

Does it support a different resolution than phone screen? In mean, does it switch to 1920X1080 to use the whole screen you're connecting to instead of scaling the almost ultra-wide aspect ratio of the phone screen giving you black bars on the top and bottom of the external display?

P30 Pro outputs FHD in desktop mode which is rather underwhelming and gives me black bars left and right on my ultra wide display. Though is would look great if you connect to a FHD display.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the only other usb-c device I have is a z390 motherboard and I wouldn't risk that either. :))) It will remain a mystery untill I come across some cheap usb-c phone.

I can send it for free to anyone willing to pay shipping costs from Romania. It doesn't have the power cable, it's just the box.

Edited by Rud