Jump to content

Just my old E7 chillin' next to the Pro1


Recommended Posts

Since I dabbled quite a lot in Symbian modding back in the day (mostly widget and theme mods, editing the SVGs and the .000000 hex files), I took an hour off today, disassembled and brought back to life my old Nokia E7-00. 🙂

I love the design and am so happy that the Pro1 continues that line.

Truth be told I am a fan of Bauhaus and Dieter Rams 8 degree slant on his audio 308 turntable, so this might have something to do with my fascination with this phone form factor.

Nothing important here, just noticing things. 😄

IMG_20210217_1436579.jpg

IMG_20210217_1435229.jpg

21318861_1648604581819109_7599619275112251132_o.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I myself could never get used to my brother's ole' HTC Desire Z, simply because the screen didn't tilt up. I fell in love with the Nokia E7 as well when I was about 15 years old (time flies, but also, I'm still pretty young). I remember selling it to some older man, who gave me a confused look and said: "why does someone like you have a device like this?", clearly indicating that keyboards on Symbian phones are for grown men only. To which I replied: "I... collect phones?". Still true, to this day. But I think it's pretty hilarious to think of a 15 year old boy saving up to buy his next cheap, outdated phone that he likes the look of. But hey, that's me!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my small collection of sliders; Nokia N900 on the left, and Xperia Play on the right. I haven't found a cheap E7 yet to score once again. I've always dreamed of the Nokia N950 though. The developer-only phone with - what seemed to be - a decent camera (back when I thought that was entirely dependent on the number of megapixels, and the ability to autofocus). I'm just glad the F(x)tec Pro1 exists to fill the gap in this era.

HG_02025~2.JPG

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

The N950 was the holy grail for me too. Still didn't manage to get my hands on one. I have an N900, an Ngage QD, a 6600, an E6, a BlackBerry Priv and an Asus SL101 tablet in my "collection", all working. I regret not getting an Xperia Play when I came across it at the flea market a couple of years ago.

No photo description available.

I eventually turned the E6 into a retro-futuristic "PC".

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

https://builds.gg/builds/lina-12641

Edited by Rud
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor qtek 9090
Oh god this was from the time they gave u a free styles with the phone ( and 2 spare's) 
a charger 
a docking station
earbuds and a protective case just straight from the factory , im telling u back then u recieved allot more bang for youre $
i had a bluetooth dongle for gps and was already using it for navigation with tom tom in 2004
i wrote a custom app so it would display my speed  when driving my moppet ( the speedo on the moppet did not work )
Afbeeldingsresultaat voor e-ten m700
this nifty replacement after the qtek died . it had build in gps and back then that was the dream
very very good device . until the touchscreen went unresponsive after 1 year 11months
send it back to be repaired but unfortunatly i think the company went out of business or something

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor htc touch pro
i bought this phone after the touch pro2 because the pro2 had a bad screen . so in the meantime i used this 
it had that old phone vibe going on when it was closed and it was just a threat to handle 
bad thing was it had this daimond backing on it . and it was absolutely the worst
Afbeeldingsresultaat voor htc touch pro
This phone back then had it all . Bit fragile and it needed allot of gentle touch 
But this became the standard for other phones to go after 

motorola-droid-2--600x472.jpg
Droid-4-press-shot.jpg
i mean these motorola's where just good cant say anything bad about them other then crapy camera's


i had a bunch of these phones and actualy i stil own all of them . they unfortunatly are all worn out to the point of not working anymore ( hence why i replaced them)
but this from factor was so beautifull 
i know im forgetting my blackberry priv
the priv was the phone i always wanted when it came out . big screen and a slider just like the qtek 9090


thank u for posting this , makes me hyped again for recieving one myself 

 

Edited by zundappchef
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, kashif said:

And i still have 10 Nokia E7 in original packing and running perfect is brand new confdition

20200128_000409.jpg.776931ba4be53c507fb6a01b796476af.jpg

Can I just ask... why? 😂 it looks insane to me, in a way.

Are these the new Pokémon cards, that will be worth a lot in the future, you reckon?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kashif said:

Thats my collection over the years.

Starting from right is OQO Model 01

then Fx tec Pro1

then Nokia E7

and finally imate Jasjar

20200127_221356.jpg.292b17d087062d91877c39b7387e2529.jpg

OQO Model 01 looks cool! Never heard of it up to now. Full Win XP with tons of I/O!

If anyone wants my modded widgets and one modded theme for Symbian Belle, let me know and I'll upload an archive somewhere and post the link here. Nothing illegal in doing that, I think, since Belle has been defunct for many years.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

And others... 🙂 

Edited by Rud
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Longcat said:

Can I just ask... why? 😂 it looks insane to me, in a way.

Are these the new Pokémon cards, that will be worth a lot in the future, you reckon?

Nah, i dont think these will worth anything.

i just bought them for backup, at one point it was hard to buy them so i started buying them from where i could

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kashif said:

Nah, i dont think these will worth anything.

i just bought them for backup, at one point it was hard to buy them so i started buying them from where i could

 

I know. I have 3 complete E7-00 phones, all working, and 2 E7 boxes full of broken phones I used to repair the one I daily drove. In the end it got to the point that I did a PCB swap in 20min and my daily driver was actually made out of parts from 5 different devices. :))

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Rud said:

OQO Model 01 looks cool! Never heard of it up to now. Full Win XP with tons of I/O!

If anyone wants my modded widgets and one modded theme for Symbian Belle, let me know and I'll upload an archive somewhere and post the link here. Nothing illegal in doing that, I think, since Belle has been defunct for many years.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

And others... 🙂 

Awesome, i like your mods

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Longcat said:

Can I just ask... why? 😂 it looks insane to me, in a way.

Are these the new Pokémon cards, that will be worth a lot in the future, you reckon?

If you are pessimistic it is always nice with a spare or two.... 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, michael.bosscha said:

I'm honestly wondering why we can't get F(x) to just take the N950 styling and make us a new phone out of that. Combined with that silver case it will be an eye catcher, like, ALWAYS, even if closed.

I don't really know what you are speaking about, but copying another phone would be useless and also prohibited...
Additionally, Pro1 itself is good-looking, similar phone like N950 was but most probably it has already more units available.

Also, it is not as simple to make an N950 styling but also they should have appropriate parts available (like display, exact size of PCB, antenna system, accommodate to different bands supported, etc).

Practically, producing Pro1 is a much better idea 🙂, even if it has to be somewhat redesigned because the problem of available parts...
...but Pro1 should be a well-known design by F(x)tec, there is no reason to copy anything else...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VaZso said:

I don't really know what you are speaking about, but copying another phone would be useless and also prohibited...
Additionally, Pro1 itself is good-looking, similar phone like N950 was but most probably it has already more units available.

Also, it is not as simple to make an N950 styling but also they should have appropriate parts available (like display, exact size of PCB, antenna system, accommodate to different bands supported, etc).

Practically, producing Pro1 is a much better idea 🙂, even if it has to be somewhat redesigned because the problem of available parts...
...but Pro1 should be a well-known design by F(x)tec, there is no reason to copy anything else...

The reason I'd go for the N950 styling is because it feels premium and has a recognisable look from a distance. Next to that, the screen of the Pro1 is a point of debate because of the curve which makes operating the top row a bit of a pain. That being said, there was the Neo900 project which was... a copy of the N900. I'm not so sure where Nokia is now in relation to its old designs now that their design department is basically defunct. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, michael.bosscha said:

The reason I'd go for the N950 styling is because it feels premium and has a recognisable look from a distance. Next to that, the screen of the Pro1 is a point of debate because of the curve which makes operating the top row a bit of a pain. That being said, there was the Neo900 project which was... a copy of the N900. I'm not so sure where Nokia is now in relation to its old designs now that their design department is basically defunct. 

Basically I think the display of N950 is unavailable.
(I am also have a bad feeling of the long-term availability of Pro1 screen anyway, however, I don't know what the manufacturer tells about it).

Basically the industry is moving forward and unless you are a big manufacturer, it may not worth to request a custom-made display, so that means you will depend on the manufacturer of the display or a display what another phone manufacturer uses elsewhere... similarly as the SoC.

So you have to cook from what is available and there are no wide possibilities.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, michael.bosscha said:

I'm honestly wondering why we can't get F(x) to just take the N950 styling and make us a new phone out of that. Combined with that silver case it will be an eye catcher, like, ALWAYS, even if closed.

Isn't that... what they did? :))) My Pro1 feels like a N950 only way better and, personally, I think black is the only way to go for electrical devices. 😄

I don't want my phone to catch everyone's eye... that's how s**t gets stolen. :))) (joking)

I get what you're saying, but besides component availability, as stated above, there would also be patents and legal issues in the mix.

Edited by Rud
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My suggestion is if Fx Tec could consider imate Jasjar design.

Not only makes it versatile design and you can use it as tablet, phone, lapotop mode and closed for screen protection.

but also more easy to replace screen and battery.

But having said that all, i still love Pro1 design

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms