Time to take action - US-carrier whitelisting (Verizon and AT&T)

1 hour ago, xman1 said:

Yes.  They have finally shut off my voice calls on a 3G voice phone with 4G LTE for data.  Watching this FX-Tec phone as a possible replacement, but good to know you are having a problem with it.

Note my data still works.  Voice calls do not.  What this tells me on your phone is that this Pro1X is not compatible with AT&T Voice.  I do believe AT&T calls it HD Voice.  This apparently is not the same as VoLTE.

One issue though is that i have a device that ATT says is supported the Sony Xperia 10 but when I put the sim in there it does the same thing, no voice but i do get text. I was on tech support and they said they had a software update to send my device in 24 hours that should resolve it, but i have no idea what that is in terms of using lineageos

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I certainly appreciate that! I'm slowly working on the different methods in the background while we wait for the phones to enter the shipping phase. I do have one concrete option developed!

As many people know, the situation in the US for choice of carrier has recently been obliterated. -T-Mobile is affordable and so far, accepting of most devices. However, they have AWFUL coverage,

I understand your point of view, but I bet that the work it would require to persuade huge tele-companies to care about a tiny player like FxTec would far exceed any profit they could gain by addition

Posted Images

7 hours ago, mv said:

One issue though is that i have a device that ATT says is supported the Sony Xperia 10 but when I put the sim in there it does the same thing, no voice but i do get text. I was on tech support and they said they had a software update to send my device in 24 hours that should resolve it, but i have no idea what that is in terms of using lineageos

How long have you had your current SIM card? It could be that the it needs replaced with a current one. Also, HD voice uses the same technology as VoLTE. Both are "voice over LTE". Thanks for the updates to keep this train moving.

Another idea, on the pro1, with your sim card in it, try typing into the phone dialer *#*#46368676#*#* it should bring you to a menu. Select "Phone Information" or whatever is similar. It should bring you to a page that looks similar to the image I'm attaching. You can see that there are switches to provision VoLTE or HD voice, wifi calling and several other things. Make sure the volte/HD voice one is on of course. You can also see that there is the option to select the Network Type. This is extremely important to everything working properly, and the phone not searching for a network that's been shut down aka 3g, aka GSM/CDMA/UMTS stuff like that. I've experimented with phones recently that took some fiddling between networks until they decided to be happy, but for the majority of phones, you're going to want to select "LTE Only". Of course this may not work until you have selected it, restarted the phone, tried to make a few calls (even if the first few fail, turn on/off airplane mode to reset the network between calls) or combinations of those things, keep doing restarts, send MMS messages, etc, it may not work until you have a new sim, or it may not work at all considering at&t's iron fist these days lol. Every phone I've used has had an interesting time starting up the network at first. One phone wouldn't do it, then randomly approved and started working 2 days later. Keep trying, it's worth a shot.

I am explaining all this because I'm not sure where you're at in phone knowledge or what you've tried yet. Maybe you've tried all this 🙃

P.s the image I attached is from my current TCL 10 5G UW I'm dailying

Screenshot_20220320-000714.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the help on this, but this seems to be entirely on ATT and not with the device, they opened a case for me but I have feeling it might be the old sim, as I have had it for about 5 years. But we will see.

To be clear my settings are the same as @KingOfTerrible but making calls on both the FXtec  pro1 and on Sony Xperia 10 (which is supported by ATT) also fails to make any calls or receive any either.

edit for more context.

Edited by mv

Ok update and not good news on the ATT front. As i was having trouble decided to go to the store to try to regain my service. No luck, the Pro1 is in their system as  a 3G phone and will not let me use it anymore. Secondly I have a Sony Xperia 10 which supposed to be supported but that also would not work. So this leaves me with not much of a choice but to move to T-mobile, which does list as the pro1 as supported.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, mv said:

So this leaves me with not much of a choice but to move to T-mobile, which does list as the pro1 as supported.

Wow, it is good to hear somehow there is a service provider which lists Pro1 as a supported device.
(I live in Europe but read a lot of conversations about whitelist systems in the USA.)

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 1
On 3/24/2022 at 10:14 AM, mv said:

Ok update and not good news on the ATT front. As i was having trouble decided to go to the store to try to regain my service. No luck, the Pro1 is in their system as  a 3G phone and will not let me use it anymore. Secondly I have a Sony Xperia 10 which supposed to be supported but that also would not work. So this leaves me with not much of a choice but to move to T-mobile, which does list as the pro1 as supported.

Did you get a new att SIM card and try that before moving to T-Magnificent?

23 hours ago, Fullmetaljacket223 said:

Did you get a new att SIM card and try that before moving to T-Magnificent?

Yep, in fact that is when I lost Data and they have insisted the phone will not be supported, it will take going to high level tech support to get them to consider it, at least that is what the person in the ATT store said to me.

I suspect it won't help matters that the Pro1 is obscure, but it is no longer being produced.  People who get a Pro1x may have a better shot. But probably not.

2 hours ago, mv said:

Yep, in fact that is when I lost Data and they have insisted the phone will not be supported, it will take going to high level tech support to get them to consider it, at least that is what the person in the ATT store said to me.

That's unfortunate to hear, but that is at&t for you. They may eventually realize their mistakes and open up later this year, but for now I suppose we need to focus our attention on Verizon. They have not specifically stated their 2022 acceptable phone guidelines.. which means if we can climb their tech support ladder high enough, explain ourselves, they may be cooperative. I would like to, in the end, achieve Verizon's agreement to allow whatever phones on their BYOD program, with disclaimers to relieve them of any liabilities. But for now, the pro1-x is the main focus. I still don't have one in my hands, which makes it very difficult to have a grounded argument with tech support provided I have no device for them to take information from or test with. 

successfully moved to t-mobile and have a functioning device again. Only odd thing is tmobile's site correctly identifies my device by imei but when logged into my account it says my device is an iphone x.

Also T-mobile and wifi-calling works on LineageOS where as it did not on ATT.

Edited by mv

When I first learned of FxTec's upcoming QWERTY phone in mid-2020, there was a contract for T-Mobile to carry it within the US.  That must have fallen by the wayside since the chipset issue and multiple manufacturing delays (finally ordered mine in Dec. 2020...still waiting).  I have had T-mobile for over 12 years.  I would have to agree that the coverage has traditionally been terrible outside of urban areas, but since T-mobile merged with and took over Sprint (which had CDMA frequency band and the earliest 5G coverage) I do think T-Mobile's coverage has greatly improved.  They have also updated their network to 5G in a large overhaul (that left some older devices unable to connect) as of January 2021.  I vote for T-mobile.  Friendly policies, good pricing, no surprise fees for exceeding data allowances. 

13 hours ago, KingOfTerrible said:

As I have reported my phone working just fine on ATT in New Jersey... I thought it's important to let you know that I'm currently in St Louis, MO for a short trip and it's working fine here too.

That is fascinating 😂 considering that everyone else has been cut off this far. Is be curious to know the reason it's been good so far. 

A side note, I've been developing a back up plan or two in the unlikely event that Verizon and/or AT&T are not willing to accept our devices as a whole. There are other ways around these issues, but they involve some serious competency in phone technology. Trying to avoid that if at all possible

5 hours ago, Fullmetaljacket223 said:

That is fascinating 😂 considering that everyone else has been cut off this far. Is be curious to know the reason it's been good so far. 

A side note, I've been developing a back up plan or two in the unlikely event that Verizon and/or AT&T are not willing to accept our devices as a whole. There are other ways around these issues, but they involve some serious competency in phone technology. Trying to avoid that if at all possible

I've been following all the related threads and my memory might not be so accurate on things, but who here on the forum has actually lost their service on the pro1 on ATT network?  I seem to recall more that people were jumping ship to another phone / provider beforehand.  One of the other things though is whether the sim / account was already activated for 4g lte /hd voice.  If it never was then yeah I'd expect no service.

One would think that if you plug the sim into a 4g phone it would work on that network tech...but apparently that wasn't the case on ATT.  My prior phone was a BlackBerry Priv that was att branded but I got off a dealer on ebay, not in att store.  My phones prior to that were all nokia (e7 was final).  I had taken the sim out of the nokia and put it in the priv.  For years I used it and it only ever said 3g /3.5g at the top.  Just before I started using the pro1 I realized/read that I wasn't active for 4g so I called att and they confirmed I had a priv and activated it.  Immediately the voice calling /, hd voice sounded different.  So then I put the already activated (as priv) sim in my pro1 and have been using it since.  And for a long time I left the default setting until started worrying about the 3g shutdown notices and I set the phone to only use 4g from the menu screen I've shown before.

12 hours ago, KingOfTerrible said:

I've been following all the related threads and my memory might not be so accurate on things, but who here on the forum has actually lost their service on the pro1 on ATT network?

I did and there was no way to get it back, they insisted on chat, in the store and on chat again that the device was only 3G it was a useless battle to convince them otherwise despite sending them the spec sheet numerous times. I had no ability to make voice calls for over a week and when they swapped the sim card for a new one i then lost data too and they said I would lose texting after.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:18 AM, mv said:

I did and there was no way to get it back, they insisted on chat, in the store and on chat again that the device was only 3G it was a useless battle to convince them otherwise despite sending them the spec sheet numerous times. I had no ability to make voice calls for over a week and when they swapped the sim card for a new one i then lost data too and they said I would lose texting after.

But was your sim ever activated for 4g / did you ever have it in another 4g phone and saw it says 4g at the top / had hd voice /VoLTE?

11 hours ago, KingOfTerrible said:

But was your sim ever activated for 4g / did you ever have it in another 4g phone and saw it says 4g at the top / had hd voice /VoLTE?

I personally cannot say yes to that but when I got the new sim, the AT&T rep put it into his phone to make sure it worked, so I presume it did. But with the Sony Xperia 10 which is supposedly supported by AT&T also did not get activated and the rep insisted that device is not supported.

23 hours ago, linparda said:

This is a fabulous post! I am exhausted from battling Google at every turn so I am very interested in the Pro 1 X. I use Mint, which uses T Mobile so I think I will take the plunge but am also offering my signature if it comes to that.

From MintMobile compatibility site with my Pro1 IMEI. So the Pro1x seems very promising

Screenshot 2022-04-11 at 09-49-49 Bring Your Own Phone Plans BYOP SIM Card Mint Mobile.png

Screenshot 2022-04-11 at 09-51-40 Bring Your Own Phone Plans BYOP SIM Card Mint Mobile.png

Edited by mv
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 8:28 PM, KingOfTerrible said:

I've been following all the related threads and my memory might not be so accurate on things, but who here on the forum has actually lost their service on the pro1 on ATT network?  I seem to recall more that people were jumping ship to another phone / provider beforehand.  One of the other things though is whether the sim / account was already activated for 4g lte /hd voice.  If it never was then yeah I'd expect no service.

One would think that if you plug the sim into a 4g phone it would work on that network tech...but apparently that wasn't the case on ATT.  My prior phone was a BlackBerry Priv that was att branded but I got off a dealer on ebay, not in att store.  My phones prior to that were all nokia (e7 was final).  I had taken the sim out of the nokia and put it in the priv.  For years I used it and it only ever said 3g /3.5g at the top.  Just before I started using the pro1 I realized/read that I wasn't active for 4g so I called att and they confirmed I had a priv and activated it.  Immediately the voice calling /, hd voice sounded different.  So then I put the already activated (as priv) sim in my pro1 and have been using it since.  And for a long time I left the default setting until started worrying about the 3g shutdown notices and I set the phone to only use 4g from the menu screen I've shown before.

AT&T shut my Pro1 off in late Aug of 2021 after sending me a bunch of text messages and a junk LG as a replacement. 

It was reporting as 4G or 4GLTE and HD voice right up until they turned it off...

Went into a Verizon store in Kalamazoo, MI and transferred my number that I've had for 25 years...  They used an older Google Pixel 3 or 4 they had in back and a new SIM card to activate the new account.  After getting it all working on the Pixel, we moved the SIM to the PRO1, changed the settings in the dialer and I've had no issues since...

I've replaced the screen 3 times, and I've a crack again...  But this IS my regular phone for ALL my uses...  The USB charging is a bit wonky now, I have to plug it in, hang it so it dangles by the cord and then reboot it for it to charge...  And use a USB volt/amp meter to be sure it is charging... 

But I love it and use it ALL the time!

Once the X confirms shipping, I'll buy one...

--

--

• Like 3