LineageOS 20.0 Official Release for Pro1

10 hours ago, claude0001 said:

The official LineageOS tool to extract them is extract.py, but there are others ...

FYI, some Linux distributions (like Debian Bullseye) name the prerequisite package  "python3-protobuf", and you may need to set "PROTOCOL_BUFFERS_PYTHON_IMPLEMENTATION=python" to get the script to work.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@EskeRahn okay, good news - easy fix - slipup on my part when rebasing on the newest common kernel - https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_kernel_fxtec_msm8998/+/355481 - pulled the broken

You ever been in an updating mood and think about to hit the "update all" button in the Google Play Store while the OTA update is running? Yeah, don't do that. Sometimes the Play Store updat

(lineage-20.0-20230612-nightly-pro1-signed.zip on May 5 security patch installed smoothly using adb sideload and MindTheGapps-13.0.0-arm64-202230408_100653)

Posted Images

12 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

So not that easy to extract after all

Well, it is really easy for those who have a lineage build environment up and running anyway. Extracting some previous payload.bin is a required step in making your own ROM.

For those who are not running on Linux (and thus have no preinstalled Python), people have made stand-alone extractor programs (like this one or that one). Please note that I haven't tested those, and think twice before running your phone's boot partition through some random tool from the internet.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Well, it is really easy for those who have a lineage build environment up and running anyway.

But I think the point for us "civilians" is we don't have to extract those files because those files are provided.  😄   If you are flashing for the first time, you need to fastboot flash those files in order to be able to boot into Lineage recovery so you can sideload the zip (which, yes, also contains those files).  Used to get it as one image file which also was labeled with the date.  But you only have to flash those files once so you have access to recovery for ADB sideload.  After that, you only do ADB sideload or use OTA (when official).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Hook said:

After that, you only do ADB sideload or use OTA (when official).

Yes, normal users need to fastboot-flash the boot.img only once, and can then sideload-away for years to come.  

But I believe @EskeRahn specifically wants to backup previous Lineage versions, to be able to jump back to them in case regressions were to be introduced in the OTAs. In such a scenario, he would indeed have to first flash the boot.img matching the timestamp of the *.zip. This is because, to my knowledge, Lineage recovery does not allow downgrading itself via sideload (at least in 16.0 it didn't).

So my only point was that it is not necessary for him to figure out a scheme to keep track of all his boot.img-versions. If needed, he could always extract the right one from the *.zip itself, which -- I think -- is an acceptable inconvenience in such an advanced use-case.

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Yes, normal users need to fastboot-flash the boot.img only once, and can then sideload-away for years to come.

As can be seen even on the hash of the last four, the boot.img is not identical, and I know from AICP, that a flash can be quite picky on the bootloader selected matching the zip.

So at the least when changing major version, I think you should flash the boot-loader first. For LOS I always flash the matching bootloader before booting into the recovery and sideloading the main zip.

It might be a superfluous step in general. but I believe @tdm did the same thing in the guide he originally provided for v16, so I just followed that since...

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

As can be seen even on the hash of the last four, the boot.img is not identical [...]

Well, as the timestamp updates, I do not see how the hash could stay identical, even if there are no functional changes. That said, there probably is a reason why LOS recovery does not allow downgrading via sideload ...

13 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

Well, as the timestamp updates, I do not see how the hash could stay identical, even if there are no functional changes. That said, there probably is a reason why LOS recovery does not allow downgrading via sideload ...

When I have experimented with downgrading a good while back, and  it works fine - though you will (almost) always need to wipe the user data in the process, and I always flashed the boot image as well.

(lineage-20.0-20230410-nightly-pro1-signed.zip on April 5 security patch installed smoothly using adb sideload and MindTheGapps-13.0.0-arm64-20221025_100653)

@TeZtdevice I guess it is the OTA update they broke. Try with adb sideload.
PS note that I always flash the boot-image as well, maybe they changed something there that broke OTA??

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TeZtdevice said:

lineage-20.0-20230410-nightly-pro1-signed.zip on March 5 security patch installed using OTA, but reboots into recovery.

!System doesn´t boot!

I had no problem with the 20230410 OTA.  Something else maybe glitched while it was installing? Hopefully sideloading will fix it. 

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

@TeZtdevice I guess it is the OTA update they broke. Try with adb sideload.
PS note that I always flash the boot-image as well, maybe they changed something there that broke OTA??

Well...
- switch the active slot from B to A
- reboot the system without the update
- update lineage-20.0-20230410 using ADB
- reboot, playstore has a problem
- reinstall gapps using ADB
- reinstall Magisk using ADB
...finished

Edited by TeZtdevice
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, Wheeljack said:

Looks like today's build has crashed (log)

Unless it's rescheduled, we'll have to wait another week.

No OTA has showed up, but there was at least one time that happened and then it showed up on Wed.  But it may be all hands on deck for getting ready with the Pro1x Official release scheduled for Thursday. 😉

• Like 1

Just to write that I went from AICP-R 16.1 to Lineage 20.

Some apps recognize the newer Android build and offer better interface/functions. Getting better battery life (surprising to me) and just more modern/streamlined feel throughout.

However experiencing some minor slowdowns/freezes for a second or two where my touch inputs aren't registering. 

Also need to dial down the best camera app still.

Edited by Adrienspawn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So glad the Pro1 is a A/B device. After OTA updating and applying Magisk-Delta as every week I rebooted and then the touchscreen would no longer accept inputs. I could navigate  the reboot menu with the PWR, Tab and Enter buttons, enter my SIM pins, but I couldn't get past my lock screen.

Went to fastboot mode and switched to the version from previous week (slot b in y case). Will try again if you guys down't have problems.

For reference: fastboot set_active b

3 hours ago, Wheeljack said:

So glad the Pro1 is a A/B device. After OTA updating and applying Magisk-Delta as every week I rebooted and then the touchscreen would no longer accept inputs. I could navigate  the reboot menu with the PWR, Tab and Enter buttons, enter my SIM pins, but I couldn't get past my lock screen.

Went to fastboot mode and switched to the version from previous week (slot b in y case). Will try again if you guys down't have problems.

For reference: fastboot set_active b

Yup, did the same here.  Except apparently I couldn't boot to my other slot, I think because I had installed Lineage without anything Google or Magisk and the old slot had the works.  When I tried to boot, it claimed the data was corrupted and I had to factory reset.  Here's the odd part.  I factory reset and it booted into Googleless Lineage-- it was the May 1st nightly and the touch screen is working fine. ???

Be curious what @EskeRahnfinds when he sideloads May 1st-- is the problem with OTA, a problem that Factory resetting solves?

Luckily my Pro1 has become my experimental device.  I'm getting ready to try Droidian.  😄

But I hope this isn't going to happen with Thursday's update on my Pro1x. 😱

• Thanks 1