LineageOS 20.0 Official Release for Pro1

Yup
lineage-20.0-20230501-nightly-pro1-signed.zip is severely broken, no touch!

The bug is in the boot.img too. I had to navigate with the side keys to even flash.

Using the Tab-key and side keys, it can be operated somewhat, and all seems well - except touch....

• Thanks 3
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@EskeRahn okay, good news - easy fix - slipup on my part when rebasing on the newest common kernel - https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_kernel_fxtec_msm8998/+/355481 - pulled the broken

You ever been in an updating mood and think about to hit the "update all" button in the Google Play Store while the OTA update is running? Yeah, don't do that. Sometimes the Play Store updat

(lineage-20.0-20230612-nightly-pro1-signed.zip on May 5 security patch installed smoothly using adb sideload and MindTheGapps-13.0.0-arm64-202230408_100653)

Posted Images

Hiya folks, I've had a Pro1 for around 2 years running stock android and I've been loving the phone itself, though the bloatware is just something I've lived with. I Recently got a Pro1x but not had chance to give it a proper try yet, but when I do, am thinking about trying out Lineage on the Pro1 as a test.

I spent about 2-3 hours trawling through these forums last night in the hope of seeing the answers to all my questions, but as a person who has never toyed with the OS of a phone before, a lot of the jargon is lost on me, I therefore have some questions that I'd like definitive answers to before trying out, potentially, bricking my phone.

1) Are there any disadvantages to running Lineage 20.0 over Android 9? Has anyone found it buggy or lacking in any functions on a Pro1?

2) Someone mentioned that LineageOS 20.0 is "Stable and useable"... Stable is great, however when someone refers to something as "useable" it implies to me that there may be some concessions one has to make, is the network and wifi connectivity the same as with stock android? I've seen folk lamenting poor signal performance on both Pro1 and the Pro1x but mine has been great for 2 years.

3) Is there a step by step guide for noobs on how to go through the process of wiping Android and installing Lineage?

Edit: Just found this: https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/pro1/install

I assume this is what I'm after?

4) A lot of comments in this thread relate to OTA (Over The Air?) updates of Lineage causing problems with the functionality of their phone. Is this an issue I would regularly have to contend with? Or is it an issue for the people where "toying with the OS of my phone" is a regular hobby?

Sorry if these are answered elsewhere, my foolish mind could not find the answers through a sea of TLA's and other jargon I'm not yet familiar with... Yet.

Edited by AndytheNoob

To answer your questions:

1) No disadvantages. You will have Android 13 and you will be getting current security updates.  You will have all the functionality you're used to with some added features. 

2) Here "useable" should be taken to mean it is ready for a daily driver, not as "it works, but..." 😄 It should not change your connectivity as it uses FxTec's own proprietary blobs for that.  If you have good connectivity on stock, you will have the same on Lineage.  If your connectivity is awful, it won't fix it.

3) Yes, those instructions at Lineage are good. Go slow with the jargon and ask questions here.  Read through the whole thing and make sure you are clear on the steps.

4) Yes, there was a problem with the last update, but this is not common.  It was pulled and fixed.  Problems can (and do) crop  up with the updates of any OS.  When these things happen, people here put their heads together and we can generally figure them out.  Plus we have the attention of the fine group of Devs who develop Lineage for the Por1 and Pro1x. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, AndytheNoob said:

Are there any disadvantages to running Lineage 20.0 over Android 9?

I'm a big fan of LineageOS. But for completeness, let's mention that there seem to be some apps that refuse to install and/or run on LineageOS, because they identify the system as "unsafe" (unlocked bootloader and all that ...).

Yes, it is nonsensical to consider stock Android 9 -- with by now hundreds of unpatched security holes -- as "safe", but, apparently, that's what they do ...   

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Hook said:

To answer your questions:

1) No disadvantages. You will have Android 13 and you will be getting current security updates.  You will have all the functionality you're used to with some added features. 

2) Here "useable" should be taken to mean it is ready for a daily driver, not as "it works, but..." 😄 It should not change your connectivity as it uses FxTec's own proprietary blobs for that.  If you have good connectivity on stock, you will have the same on Lineage.  If your connectivity is awful, it won't fix it.

3) Yes, those instructions at Lineage are good. I have written a more noobified version, but they have changed what things look like since I did that and I haven't yet been able to revise them.  They are posted here, but you might be confused when things don't appear the way I say the will. I'll try to get that revision made in the next day or two, but the lineage directions work. Go slow with the jargon and ask questions here.  Read through the whole thing and make sure you are clear on the steps.

4) Yes, there was a problem with the last update, but this is not common.  It was pulled and fixed.  Problems can (and do) crop  up with the updates of any OS.  When these things happen, people here put their heads together and we can generally figure them out.  Plus we have the attention of the fine group of Devs who develop Lineage for the Por1 and Pro1x. 

That's an amazing set of answers, I'm convinced, thank you wholeheartedly.

I've just moved over to the Pro1x today for the trial run. I'll be back over the next few days with issues if/when they appear.

Thanks again 🙂

• Like 1

I'm struggling...

I can get adb to detect my device, but when I go into bootloader the QX1000 in device manager becomes Android with a yellow exclamation mark.

This thread:

Seems to detail the same problem as me, but Adrian seems to have an Android device at the top of his list as well as in other devices and I cant seem to recreate whatever he did to fix it.

I have set the phone usb settings to "File Transfer" and have enabled usb debugging.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

Further problems relate to the insecure and unreliable nature of my USB-C slot. I got a new USB module delivered from F(x)tec, along with a new minijack module and battery, but the USB-C module just didn't work, so had to put the old one back in.

F(x)tec are now out of USB-C modules, apparently I got the last one, so I've sent it to a PCB diagnosis and repair centre... Let's hope it works when it returns.

Edited by AndytheNoob

Well this is a nightmare... But here's what you did, future me:

You manually installed the driver onto the device by browsing for the android_winusb file while in both adb mode (Normal phone on mode), and in fastboot mode (phone has black bootloader screen)... If things go nicely you may not need to do both.

When in fastboot mode, check it works by typing fastboot devices.

After days of fiddling I've finally managed to get the device listed as a fastboot device in the command prompt.

1) Now, when I try to Booting a custom recovery using fastboot, I get an error:

error: ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT not set

2) And if I try to install Lineage OS from recovery I get a different error:

E:Signature verification failed
E:error: 21

From what I can tell I would have to be in Lineage recovery for the signature verification to succeed, which means that part 1 has to work... How do I set the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT?

Edited by AndytheNoob
Helping the future.
2 hours ago, AndytheNoob said:

Well this is a nightmare.

After days of fiddling I've finally managed to get the device listed as a fastboot device in the command prompt.

1) Now, when I try to Booting a custom recovery using fastboot, I get an error:

error: ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT not set

2) And if I try to install Lineage OS from recovery I get a different error:

E:Signature verification failed
E:error: 21

From what I can tell I would have to be in Lineage recovery for the signature verification to succeed, which means that part 1 has to work... How do I set the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT?

I would need a lot more context of what you have and haven't done, in an orderly step-wise fashion.

The troubles with your USB-C port I can't address, but it sounds like you have it working if  fastboot devices returns fastboot in a terminal screen on Windows.  I also can't really address using Windows for this.  Although I am a Windows (10) user and have done this with Windows in the past, Windows is so tempramental with this flashing stuff that I switched to an old Thinkpad running Manjaro Linux for all of this.

By the way, you don't need to set your usb connection to file transfer, just have debug on.  File transfer is a different protocol and isn't needed for pushing files via fastboot and adb (though I don't think it's causing your problems).

So, first question is, how did you flash the recovery?  Lets start with which Lineage nightly are you installing?  I assume the one dated April 24th 2023, which is the last good version of Lineage 20 for the Pro1.  I assume also that you downloaded the Boot.img file that accompanied it.  That is the recovery file and that is the file you want to flash using fastboot (not adb).

When I flash it (I just did this yesterday on my Pro1, btw, recovering from trying get Droidian on my Pro1 😉 ), I like to be explicit about which slot to flash it to and then explicitly set that slot to active.

So when I do it, it looks like this:

fastboot flash boot_a boot.img

fasboot --set-active=a

Then i use the volume control on my  Pro1 to select reboot to recovery and press the power button to accept.  That reboots the phone into Lineage Recovery.

So what did you do?  We can see if we can figure it out from there.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hook said:

So what did you do?  We can see if we can figure it out from there.

Fret not about the usb-c port, I have McGyvered a very stable holding rig out of plastic bands and an old camera, it's been in place for days with no signal drop out.

So, onto the software bit:

First I downloaded the 4 files from the top section of this page:

https://download.lineageos.org/devices/pro1/builds#

Then I downloaded USB drivers from various places and spent days trying to get my PC to recognise the phone when it's in fastboot mode. This is done now so all good. The device is recognised as both an adb device and a fastboot device.

Oh! I think I've just done it, after a bit of googling people mentioned moving all the Lineage files to the platform-tools folder and run everything from there.

Have also installed Lineage recovery, though on the screen it said that a bunch of files couldn't be read and I had to give permission for 1 signature... Let's hope it works.

Hmm, no luck.

Formatting and installing again!

Holy Crapplesticks! It works! WOOOOOOO! I have Lineage on my Pro1!!!

So... Final questions:

I want Gmail, google maps and the play store, that's it.

Is that what MindtheGapps is for?

Can someone post a link to the best Gapp source where I can pick and choose the bits I want?

Any other helpful bits of software that need to be sideloaded instead of just installed using play store or other?

Edited by AndytheNoob
  • Like 1

I think, for Windows, the files you are  trying to flash should be in the same directory as the fastboot and adb executables.  I suspect that is what that output is about (not sure as I have never encountered it).  At least that's how I always did things in Windows and thought at the time it was necessary.

So, locate the boot.img file and whatever else you will end up abd sideloading in the directory with all the Google tools like adb and fastboot. 

Try again.

And, yes, your Pro1x is unlocked.  They  ship that way.

1 hour ago, AndytheNoob said:

So... Final questions:

I want Gmail, google maps and the play store, that's it.

Is that what MindtheGapps is for?

Can someone post a link to the best Gapp source where I can pick and choose the bits I want?

Any other helpful bits of software that need to be sideloaded instead of just installed using play store or other?

Glad you pulled it all together.  MindTheGaps is officially sanctioned for a reason-- it works reliably.  You want the version for Android 13.  If you did not flash them before booting Lineage, you will have to re-flash lineage, including rebooting to recovery after flashing and then flash MindTheGapps after that, then reboot.

MindTheGapps only has one size and it isn't a minimal set, but also not a full set.  Open Gapps does not seem to get along well with Lineage any more.  There may be other packages people here know, but I don't, sorry.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Hook said:

Glad you pulled it all together.  MindTheGaps is officially sanctioned for a reason-- it works reliably.  You want the version for Android 13.  If you did not flash them before booting Lineage, you will have to re-flash lineage, including rebooting to recovery after flashing and then flash MindTheGapps after that, then reboot.

MindTheGapps only has one size and it isn't a minimal set, but also not a full set.  Open Gapps does not seem to get along well with Lineage any more.  There may be other packages people here know, but I don't, sorry.

Yeah, I figured I would have to fully reinstall lineage, this was largely just a tester for me.

Cool, I'll try and hunt down a copy of mindthegapps for android 13.

Thanks a million, you guys have been incredibly helpful.

(lineage-20.0-20230508-nightly-pro1-signed.zip on May 5 security patch installed smoothly using adb sideload and MindTheGapps-13.0.0-arm64-20221025_100653)

So things are back working again

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

(lineage-20.0-20230515-nightly-pro1-signed.zip on May 5 security patch installed smoothly using adb sideload and MindTheGapps-13.0.0-arm64-20221025_100653)

OTA worked great as well.  By the way, since I had to recently do a first flash after leaving my Droidian experiment, I now have the newer MindTheGapps-13.0.0-arm64-20230408_162909.  They are fine, and I don't notice any difference, so probably no reason to update.

• Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not a camera buff or expert, but I've always gotten great results with Open Camera.  Among it's many settings is being able to select where photos are saved.  I always save to the sd card.