Retiring Pro¹ as my daily driver

This morning after about two and a half years I put back my primary SIMs in my Huawei P30 Pro.
The main reason being I have hardly ever used the keyboard since I upgraded to Lineage OS back in late summer 2021.
I used my own custom ROM with a few patches for the keyboard, lower brightness and darker Eye Comfort options. Together with Google Play and Magisk for better full screen gesture support. As someone who has to jungle with French, German and English languages the keyboard needs some extra customization for optimal use.
I had a nice keyboard setup on the official Android 9 but never got around porting it to Lineage OS. I guess I just ran out of steam.

Lineage OS is awesome though and I'm glad I got to try it out. The Pro¹ is worth it for Lineage OS support alone.
Then again some banking apps I could never get to work on Lineage OS not matter how much Magisk I used.
On my ROM, which is almost 2 years old, phone call quality is still the main issue. Certainly a driver or hardware problem so I don't think that got any better.
Also dual SIM support had some bugs, must be mentioned somewhere in those forums. I had to disable some telephony protocol on one of the SIMs to get it to work properly. It would miss calls and SMS otherwise.

The truth is: it mostly works. If you don't make many phone calls and are a skilled Magisk wizard.
But, if you hardly ever use the keyboard, then you got to wonder if you really need to carry that extra weight and cope with the downsides.
Fact is when I really need a keyboard it's often easier for me to do that on one of my workstations, at home or in the office. I also don't use laptops daily.

With the availability of keyboard size ≃15“ Android tablets, I've also embarked on an amazing journey to develop new ways to Interface with desktop computers or other devices. 2023 is shaping up to be the year where people hinge on foldable smartphones so I'm expecting to get into that trend too. Still I'm sure I'll keep using my Pro¹ from time to time, if only for development purposes or to try out the latest Lineage OS.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Thanks for your early development efforts for the Pro1.  I still use Fulguris as a fast and efficient browser (alongside Firefox, which I keep just for access to my desktop bookmarks when I need one). 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Hook said:

Thanks for your early development efforts for the Pro1.  I still use Fulguris as a fast and efficient browser (alongside Firefox, which I keep just for access to my desktop bookmarks when I need one). 

Good to hear. Fulguris is also my daily driver. Hopefully development will pick up again at some point. Been a bit busy with other projects 😁

Just to add: Magisk worked fine for me on LOS 16 and 17. With Android 11 (LOS 18) I never got it to work either. I've read that it should work with LOS 19 and 20, so updating might be an option.

Personally, I wouldn't want to miss the fast and errorless typing (+300 keystrokes/minute) and the huge amount of shortcuts available. Combined with Kiwi Browser and its addons you can get quite close to a laptop. The shortcuts even work with some apps like netflix where you easily change volume, pause, go back or forward, etc without holding the phone.

The only thing missing at this point really is a trackpoint...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Slion not the least for your Fx Service v0.4.0 that I benefit from many many times a day, with a magnet in the flip cover to lock the device. Very very handy. 😁

(Yes I know there are later versions with more functionalities - not even using all the functionality of the early one)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Thanks @Slion not the least for your Fx Service v0.4.0 that I benefit from many many times a day, with a magnet in the flip cover to lock the device. Very very handy. 😁

Yes, surely my greatest contribution to the community 😁 Any smartphone needs a smart case.

• Thanks 2

Dear @Slion,

I think I've got an idea how you are feeling.

While I haven't retired my Pro1 yet, I also use the HW keyboard less and less. Partly, this is because some keys are becoming more and more unreliable, which makes typing a frustrating experience. Mostly, however, my use cases for the keyboard are much fewer than I had initially expected. I came to the Pro1 from an N900, which had an OS and an app ecosystem that was designed around landscape use of the phone. This is simply not true with Android. While almost all apps support landscape in some way, few make intelligent use of it, and many are just cumbersome to use in non-portrait-orientation.

The keyboard has its place in operating my GNU/Linux chroot, where it allows the Pro1 to work like a miniature laptop. But admittedly, I also use this possibility rarely. Most of the time, I just access the Debian system via SSH, which would work equally well on any random slab.

Then there are the many small non-keyboard-related inconveniences with the Pro1: green screen tint, poor audio quality, low-quality camera, mediocre battery lifetime, etc.. Not too long ago, my wife got herself a refurbished FairPhone 3+. In an impressive way, that device demonstrates that also small-series manufacturers can make quality (and well-supported) phones, and painfully highlights all the compromises I am accepting with the Pro1. 

In came my Pro1-X. I had truly hoped it would improve on some of the bugs of the Pro1, and that I could configure it into a worthy successor. In some aspects it actually is better: The keyboard response is impeccable, the screen colours are more accurate. But, unfortunately, it is plain unusable as a mobile phone because of its connectivity issues. That's a no-go for me, also for professional reasons. I've essentially given up on the device.

This forum documents that we're not alone. More and more, this place feels like a party that's actually long over, except for the few guys still hanging around 'cause they're too drunk to realise they should better go home. 🙂

Anyway: Thanks for all you've done in the past years! While I've never used Fulguris productively, I still use your initial "Fn-Tab = Alt-Tab" patch in my custom LineageOS builds. Concerning the latter: I think I will be continuing to make updated LOS 16.0 ROMs as long as the upstream sources get updated with backported ASB fixes, and switch to another phone after that support ends ...

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 5/2/2023 at 9:07 PM, SchattengestaIt said:

Just to add: Magisk worked fine for me on LOS 16 and 17. With Android 11 (LOS 18) I never got it to work either. I've read that it should work with LOS 19 and 20, so updating might be an option.

It mostly worked for me too TBH, except for some banking apps.

10 hours ago, claude0001 said:

mediocre battery lifetime

That was never an issue for my usage. I usually could get 2 days of battery out of it.

10 hours ago, claude0001 said:

FairPhone 3+

Lately I was contemplating the FairPhone 4 but I eventually ruled it out. I think the LCD screen put me off.

1 hour ago, Slion said:

Lately I was contemplating the FairPhone 4 but I eventually ruled it out. I think the LCD screen put me off.

The FP3 also has an LCD. But especially at low brightness it looks way better than my Pro1's AMOLED. Also: No f**ing rounded edges! 😄

It's not all in spec sheets.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, claude0001 said:

No f**ing rounded edges! 😄

Well at least to Pro¹ does not have a notch. Been kinda weird switching back to a phone with a notch.

On 5/4/2023 at 10:32 AM, claude0001 said:

The FP3 also has an LCD. But especially at low brightness it looks way better than my Pro1's AMOLED. Also: No f**ing rounded edges! 😄

It's not all in spec sheets.

Believe it or not, the screen brightness issue was solved with LOS 18. Lowest brightness doesn't turn your phone greenish anymore.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Believe it or not, the screen brightness issue was solved with LOS 18. Lowest brightness doesn't turn your phone greenish anymore.

As you have guessed, I find this hard to believe, indeed. @tdm once argued that the green tint problem was likely related to lack of stringent screen calibration, something supposed to be near-unaffordable for small-series manufacturers, so that it is essentially a matter of luck, whether you get a green-tint screen or now ...

Are you able to point out the LineageOS patch that you think did this magic for you? If it exists, I would love to backport that fix to my LOS 16.0.

However, I'm not able to find anything that seems related, neither in the pro1-specific LOS 17.1, nor the LOS 18.1 merges.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 7:56 AM, SchattengestaIt said:

the screen brightness issue was solved with LOS 18

I'm about to update my LOS builds with the May 2023 ASB fixes. So I repeat my question: Does anyone know what patch in LOS 17 or 18 apparently fixed low-brightness screen colours on the Pro1? Would love to include that one ...

I don't know the exact versions I was using. But from a developer standpoint the fix should be in every version of LOS. I think I jumped from LOS 16 to LOS 18 directly, but I'm not sure about that either.

The only thing I remember is that I updated after getting the display advice from somebody else and it fixed my display too.

Lol, I hadn't even noticed, but, sure enough, my Pro1 on Lineage 20 doesn't go green.  It has had a couple of screen replacements done by FxTec so I can't swear it's LOS... The next time I flash back to stock (probably before I try Sailfish) I'll stop and test on stock.

7 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

But from a developer standpoint the fix should be in every version of LOS. I think I jumped from LOS 16 to LOS 18 directly

... well that's the point: I want to stay on my custom LOS 16.0 ROM, but have backported quite a few fixes from later LOS releases. That's why I was asking about the specific patch to look at ... 🙂

In my case, I never parted from my dumb phone, however, I use my Pro¹-X every day. It's my ultra-portable laptop in which I do all sorts of stuff. I believe I open that keyboard a few dozens of times per day on weekdays and a few on weekends.

Given claude001's answer, I think I'm lucky that the keyboard still works perfectly. When I reach 1 year, I will certainly write my 1 year review of my experience with my Pro¹-X.

My dumb phone is mostly used for calls and SMS. Pro¹-X's call sound quality is fine but for me, my dumb phone is more reliable to not run out of battery when I most want it (It easily lasts 7 days in standby and ~5h in calls). My Pro¹-X battery lasts ~1.5 days, even if in flight mode all day. The difference of screen sizes and screen qualities is huge, though.

For me, my Pro¹-X is my ultra-portable laptop which happens to be running Android

Edited by brunoais
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, brunoais said:

My Pro¹-X battery lasts ~1.5 days, even if in flight mode all day.

This sounds a bit low, how many hours of screen on does that include?

If not many hours of screen time a day, you might want to install some helper program (e.g. GSAM or 3C toolbox) to find out where the energy are wasted. Could well be an app that is the culprit. When idle it should burn less than 0.5% per hour. On the other hand with screen on, it can be 10%/hour and even worse if doing something hard.

Especially be aware of 'free' apps, the ad's can waste a surprisingly large amount of battery, and thus be a double nuisance....

Some of the apps calling home to deliver the data they stole, could also be poorly coded so they waste battery retrying in vain to get connection, when in aeroplane mode.

I generally recommend to walk through the entire list of apps including those displayed selecting "show system", and for each consider if they a) should be allowed to use network in the background (most apps should NOT do this, except apps like mail). And also under battery, consider if they should be allowed to run or be frozen when not in the foreground. MOST apps should freeze, again with stuff like mail as an exception.

And obviously uninstall or disable the stuff you do not use... Though less needed than on earlier Greenify is still your friend in killing some of the stuff that like weed is hard to keep down.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, brunoais said:

n my case, I never parted from my dumb phone, however, I use my Pro¹-X every day. It's my ultra-portable laptop in which I do all sorts of stuff. I believe I open that keyboard a few dozens of times per day on weekdays and a few on weekends.

I've been doing this with both my Pro 1 and now my Pro1x for years.  I do home health care for my wife so my "phone" phone has to be flawless.  I don't do a lot of calling and texting, but I'm the front office for doctors and insurance so when I need it, I need it perfect,

I find it little trouble to carry  two devices (and the cheap phone makes a great hotspot).  I sometimes feel that while complaints about the call performance are understandable, people overlook what a fantastic pocket computer it is.  It really has meant my laptops stay home, even if I'm traveling for a week.  As far as I'm concerned, I'd snap these up if they were WiFi only. But I do keep Sims in them-- I just don't give out the phone numbers. 😄

• Like 3

@Hook @brunoais I absolutely agree with your approach, but feel guilty doing so--I bought from expansys.hk, received the phone after only modest hassle. and already knew it wouldn't work as a phone. So I was spared the heartache of a original backer.

Aside from my angst, the Pro1x can truly be a stand-alone HPC. Before, I traveled with a GPD MPC, an admirable device, but the Pro1x is even more portable, especially with its--albeit buggy--mobile data.

In light of its sales on expansys.hk, a Planet Computer Astro backer (phone unreceived as of yet) informed me that PC sold a multitude of Astros on an obscure Japanese site, obscure enough so backers didn't find out until months later. Yeesh.

If not many hours of screen time a day, you might want to install some helper program (e.g. GSAM or 3C toolbox) to find out where the energy are wasted. Could well be an app that is the culprit. When idle it should burn less than 0.5% per hour. On the other hand with screen on, it can be 10%/hour and even worse if doing something hard.

Many hours of screen time, yes.

Even then, I'll take the suggestion and see what I can find. I only have open-source apps on my main profile, though. The proprietary apps are in the work profile and they are quite closed down and limited.

(e.g. GSAM or 3C toolbox)

Got any open-source alternatives?

Especially be aware of 'free' apps, the ad's can waste a surprisingly large amount of battery, and thus be a double nuisance....

I only take "free" if it's "open-source" (AKA FOSS) 😆. In seriousness, I avoid those or, otherwise, I install on the work profile and they are closed after some minutes of not in use.

None of my apps on the personal profile call my attention.

Now I notice, I didn't mention that I charge my Pro¹-X to 90% on weekdays and 80% on weekends (managed by acc and an automation to change its settings for different days)

6 hours ago, Hook said:

I find it little trouble to carry  two devices (and the cheap phone makes a great hotspot).

Interesting... For me, it's easy. I just use one of my pockets in my pouch. It has enough space for both. The dumb phone has wifi but doesn't work as hotspot.

2 hours ago, jakfish said:

but feel guilty doing so-

Why? Whatever works for you, works for you 😉.

especially with its--albeit buggy--mobile data.

I don't relate with that...

Planet Computer Astro backer (phone unreceived as of yet)

Same for me. I still don't have it.

Aside from my angst, the Pro1x can truly be a stand-alone HPC. Before, I traveled with a GPD MPC, an admirable device, but the Pro1x is even more portable, especially with its--albeit buggy--mobile data.

@jakfish, @Hook, @brunoais: I respect (and sometimes admire) your point of view.

However, please let's agree on that the Pro1-X was not marketed as an HPPC, but as a phone that could (maybe) double as an HPPC. Let's also not forget that it was meant to be delivered with LineageOS (OK, we finally have that now thanks to community support) and UbuntuTouch (nowhere close). Let's further not forget that it was supposed to come with HDMI-Out to enhance that HPPC aspect (especially with UBTouch). I do not see how my Pro1-X is fulfilling any of those design goals. That's why I, sadly, shelved it before it could see any significant action. As much as I liked my Pro1, I do not think I'll be changing my mind on the Pro1-X.

• Like 1