What's your favourite HW keyboard phone?

6 minutes ago, david said:

All the Sidekick phones.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_Hiptop

Fixed! I've never seen one of those in the wild. When I was young, it was Nokias, Nokias everywhere, oh and a smattering of HTC Wizards. The old rich men had Palm T|X devices if they were 'hip', and Pocket PCs if not. These weren't cell phones in most cases, because if you are well to do enough to have one of those fancy devices, you also had a secretary to field your calls for you!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh right, this thread! I can say it now, my favorite HW keyboard phone is the F(x)tec Pro1 :).

That Droid 4 was seeing an E7 or N950 when N900 wasn't home...

only youuuuuuu.... its Nokia n950 with desktop debian inside 🙂  Qt creator, arm-none-eabi-gcc, minGW, x86 compiler, and avr-gcc... etc..  Writing programm for anything!! 

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Maplesteel said:

Fixed! I've never seen one of those in the wild. When I was young, it was Nokias, Nokias everywhere, oh and a smattering of HTC Wizards. The old rich men had Palm T|X devices if they were 'hip', and Pocket PCs if not. These weren't cell phones in most cases, because if you are well to do enough to have one of those fancy devices, you also had a secretary to field your calls for you!

They were *huge* in the USA in the 2000s.  It was a status symbol thing (kind of like the iPhones are today), with a lot of celebrities using them and an entire ad campaign around that very fact.  It was only available through T-Mobile, except near the end, so only in the USA.  The Nokias came around toward the end of the Sidekick reign, and I believe most people in the USA jumped over to android keyboard phones from the Sidekicks, whereas the Nokias may have gotten a stronger foothold in europe.  The OS for the Sidekicks formed the basis for android.

"The company was originally started by former Apple Inc., WebTV and Philips employees Andy Rubin, Joe Britt, and Matt Hershenson. Co-founder Andy Rubin left in 2003 to create the company Android, which was later acquired by Google.[3]"

Oddly enough, Microsoft bought both Danger and Nokia's mobile phone technology and messed up both. :-)

"The Register described the Microsoft acquisition as "a classic case of M & A failure, where the acquirer has failed to integrate either the technology or the people from the company that it bought."[7] Later in 2013 Microsoft purchased Nokia's mobile phone business, which is also seen as a failure.[8]"

13 minutes ago, david said:

...most people in the USA jumped over to android keyboard phones from the Sidekicks, whereas the Nokias may have gotten a stronger foothold in europe.  The OS for the Sidekicks formed the basis for android.

Oddly enough, Microsoft bought both Danger and Nokia's mobile phone technology and messed up both. 🙂

A) ah, that would do it. During that time I was in Latvia, so not as much info as what the US was doing during that time.

B) Of course it would... X(

• Like 1

By far my favorite phone I ever had was the LG V (first picture) this phone was so fun and usable. I inherited it from my brother after he had it for atleast 1-2 years and the dang thing still worked like new for me for another 3-4 years. It had a replaceable battery which was amazing and my favorite feeling/ functioning keyboard to date. Although it was before smart phones came out I feel it was far ahead of its time. 

i was a huge fan of the sidekick phones but was never able to have one because we weren’t on T-Mobile. Any chance I got to play with my friends they would have to pry it out of my hands

Lastly to round out my list is the Motorola  droid 4. My most recent physical keyboard phone and all things considered, not too long ago. Would buy 100 of these phones if they were still out today. This is the bar I’m holding the pro1 up to so I am very excited to get mine this week and get back to clickity klacking 🙂

C6D34A0D-3788-47C8-BA0F-1B32CBAB8958.jpeg

A05BFD43-2991-46F5-932E-5BDD375BB180.jpeg

0EB8F66D-519F-40F6-9408-6BF4A5242475.jpeg

9C21178D-6A98-4346-BB4A-20BF42EBEBD0.jpeg

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Maplesteel said:

Fixed! I wonder how much time I have before the forum software locks me out of editing that message. Hopefully I can bug @EskeRahn once it locks, in case people have more devices to mention.

I think it is days before that happens now, rather than minutes/hours.  I don't know how many days though, but you are safe for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Maplesteel said:

Nice photo composition! Those 'old' devices still look slick and futuristic to me.

So far, the Hall of Fame for HWKB phones appears to include (in no particular order):

What am I missing? Edit 1 -> added Xperia Pro

You are missing iMate Jasjar, it was a fantastic design

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, kashif said:

You are missing iMate Jasjar, it was a fantastic design

Several Nokias... N97mini, N97, N95 9300, 6800, 6820, 6890, 6810, 6822, E72, 5730, 9300i, 9500, E75, X5/01, C6, Asha 303, E90,,,,

EDIT Here is what GSMArena got registered: https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sMakers=1&idQwerty=1&sFormFactors=2,3,4,6,10

And more if you include fixed keyboaards https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sMakers=1&idQwerty=1

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Serolfic said:

Does anyone still make keyboards like on the bottom left of this photo?

I still think my ideal phone would be a re-hash of the N950.

yes! n950 - its the best of the phones. 

And it looks like he will remain so, as I’m already tired of waiting for my pro1 ... After 2 weeks, it will be like 3 months of waiting ... This is sad ...