What's your favourite HW keyboard phone?

Off-Topic, but referring to Tomasz Papaj’s post:

I loved the optical trackpad HTC used for the Desire Z / Vison / Google G2, which was superior to Apple’s boring Home-Buttons. The HTC Wildfire had this aswell, and the early Blackberrrys something similar as far as I can remember. (Trackball?)

You could push the button to select something, and swipe this button to move the cursor or get to another input field very quickly. Acted like arrow-keys, but much more intuitive and quicker to use. Editiing texts will never get that precise again.

It wasn't a keyboard phone, but I loved the trackball on my Nexus One made by HTC. That was one beautiful phone. Lasted me 3 years, but had a serious design flaw almost guaranteeing the power button would fail and it was a very convoluted DIY repair (HTC never owned up to the flaw). However, that trackball was amazing for precision cursor control. Thanks for bringing back the memory. :-)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh right, this thread! I can say it now, my favorite HW keyboard phone is the F(x)tec Pro1 :).

That Droid 4 was seeing an E7 or N950 when N900 wasn't home...

only youuuuuuu.... its Nokia n950 with desktop debian inside 🙂  Qt creator, arm-none-eabi-gcc, minGW, x86 compiler, and avr-gcc... etc..  Writing programm for anything!! 

Posted Images

I loved the optical trackpad HTC used for the Desire Z / Vison / Google G2, which was superior to Apple’s boring Home-Buttons. The HTC Wildfire had this aswell, and the early Blackberrrys something similar as far as I can remember. (Trackball?)

You could push the button to select something, and swipe this button to move the cursor or get to another input field very quickly. Acted like arrow-keys, but much more intuitive and quicker to use. Editiing texts will never get that precise again.

Another efficient Input the big I took from us. It is a shame that people were not enough tech savy back than. Mass appeal was everything, because most people did not understand that a smartphone will be a device to do everything soon.

My First phone was iMate Jasjar. it was such a great design and nothing like that has ever came again in the market. i still have 3 of them. but as it has obsolete os windows mobile 5 so it cant do much.

after that i got the Nokia E7, its very similar to this pro1. i have 8 of these E7. again the main issue is the obsolete os symbian. other issue is the small screen and because of small screen it cant do things as good as the new ones, for example using remote desktop to connect your pc the screen is too small. thats why i dont understand why some people still asking here to reduce the screen size.

i hope this pro1 is available soon though still no shipping date is in sight.

I am sad the Pro1 does not have this feature since I read tech.spec first time. :( Know what you are talking about!! "touchpad" keyboard. Will miss that.

• 3 months later...

This bad boy (HTC Desire Z) is still going strong. Well, it's going, anyway. I don't use it as a phone anymore - various areas of technology have moved on and left the poor Desire Z far behind. But it does still get used. It's had two new batteries and a new speaker over the years. Great little phone! And it is definitely a shame that the trackpad / click button is something phones have lost.

DSC_3799.jpg

• Like 1

i have got for my "vintage" phone collection japan phone sharp willcom w-zero WS007SH....and i must say that this keyboard is amazing!

BUT for me was the best android qwerty phone droid 3....5row keyboard , cool design and metal frame! only problem was 512 ram, pentile display and not unlockable bootloader.

Droid 4 was good, but too much small display for its size 😞

Soo i am now on my sim  modded Photon Q 🙂

Edited by CornholioGSM
  • Like 2
On 6/12/2019 at 10:58 PM, pistikem said:

i still use a Nokia N900, for nearly 10 years now, everything works just as it should - but still, i eagerly await this new Pro1 model as i really need openVPN, with JuiceSSH, and a more up-to-date browser etc. i hope delivery to Canada will not be delayed much...

Hey fellow Canadian! I also used my N900 for quite a few years, but I have using the Priv as well.

N900 was my favourite but the performance and battery life just made it unusable long-term. Also lack of MMS really killed it.

• Like 1

This will be the first hardware keyboard phone I have ever owned.  I always wanted one but the timing never worked out,  But looking at the older keyboard phones now... Those screens were just so tiny (and, thus, the keyboard too). 

I will never again use a phone with less than a 5.2" screen and it would really depend on what the diagonal angle was.  5.7" to 6.0" is my sweet spot.  I loved my Nexus 6P. If it had a sliding keyboard... unfortunately, it died.  Not a well made phone.  Lots of problems with the hardware.

This is why I am sooo happy the Pro1 came along. This is going to be awesome!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 4:58 AM, Swond said:

I am sad the Pro1 does not have this feature since I read tech.spec first time. 😞 Know what you are talking about!! "touchpad" keyboard. Will miss that.

Funny, that's one of the top 3 things I despise about this PRIV I'm using for a moment because my Droid 4 is charging. The keyboard touchpad is always moving things when I least expect it, and even managed to select and replace a block of text when I was attempting to insert an emoji via punctuation. The other 2 despised items are working in portrait, and the keyboard being only a 3-row. My favorite portrait phone (a little useless these days, but really my favorite smartphone of all time) was the Treo 700p, but that wasn't really a portrait phone as such because it had a 4:3 screen, so you held it portrait but worked in QVGA landscape. The Droid 4 has been the best replacement for it so far, until I get my Droid 5.......er, Pro1 😉

• Like 2
5 hours ago, silversolver said:

Funny, that's one of the top 3 things I despise about this PRIV I'm using for a moment because my Droid 4 is charging. The keyboard touchpad is always moving things when I least expect it, and even managed to select and replace a block of text when I was attempting to insert an emoji via punctuation. The other 2 despised items are working in portrait, and the keyboard being only a 3-row. My favorite portrait phone (a little useless these days, but really my favorite smartphone of all time) was the Treo 700p, but that wasn't really a portrait phone as such because it had a 4:3 screen, so you held it portrait but worked in QVGA landscape. The Droid 4 has been the best replacement for it so far, until I get my Droid 5.......er, Pro1 😉

(In all fairness: We can turn off the gesture stuff on the Priv)