The thickness 14 mm

I know that you maybe tried to do the best but nearly 10 year later you did did only the same thickness mobile as Nokia E7? It is a pitty. This will be for a lot of users too much.

I know that for me it will be too much but the hw keyboard is much more valuable.

The Photon Q is 14mm thick aswell, I am additionally using a device with 17mm thickness aswell. No problems for me there. The Pro¹ is larger than the Photon Q, so the thickness might be more noticeable when you have the phone in your pocket.

I am waiting until I have the Pro¹ and have it setup as daily driver until I can rate the handling of the phone. No further estimating possible.

I respectfully disagree. Next to the hinge, you also need circuitboards in both halves; a battery; a keyboard with travel. I think that a 14mm device in my pocket is fine. Sure, the Photon Q was 13.7mm, but I'm totally prepared to give the guys some slack with this, seeing as it is their first official product. Also: they don't have the manpower like Motorola or Nokia had available for R&D, so that's another point to consider as well.

@Noir, I agree

Today phones are absolutely too slim and a hardware keyboard / sliding mechanism need some space.

...but again, today almost every phone's thickness goes near or below the usability margin - harder to ensure you will not drop the phone and some of them are easily bending.

There is no need to create paper-slim phones by getting closer and closer to the usability limit of the phone and technical limit of physics.

I think, for a well-equipped phone with correct slider mechanism, 14 mm sounds not a really high thickness...

I'm happy with 14mm. More concerned with the battery being less than my Samsung S7 Edge, 3200mAh against 3600mAh. Certainly due to the fact that they need to use off-the -shelf batteries rather than a custom one.

My concern is the battery more than the thickness as well. Battery consumption will be higher than on normal Android phones due to the additional hardware. I would have liked it to be around 4000mAh at the least even if it adds couple of mms more to the thickness.

From my keyboard case for an Iphone6- with backlight, the tiny battery on that lasted for a MONTH, and that's with Bluetooth! So I expect the extra power needed for the cabled keyboard to be negligible.

As always with smartphones, I expect the display to be the real culprit in power consumption.

And if you try to use it for extensive gaming and video the CPU too of course.

A LOT has to do with usage patterns. The BlackBerry Priv got so much beating for the power consumption, I had stamina of over a week from it with light usage.

(In the above and the links in it there are a bunch of hints and guidelines to get more from your battery than most)

I'd rather have it be 14mm thick and have good battery life and structural integrity than take sacrifices too far. It's already very thin for packing a keyboard in there, and i've had not much problems carrying a fatter phone (19mm) on a daily basis.

My htc desire z from 2010 was 14.16mm thick, and I had absolutely zero issues with it. Thin phones are sleek and feel nice in the hand, but my desire z felt nice in the hand too. IMO a phone with a querty keyboard is about function more than looks, and ultra thin phones are only more functional if you have really tight pockets or something.

The thickness doesn't bother me that much except I feel for the thickness, they could fit a higher capacity battery in there. My Blackberry Priv slider is 3 years old now, is thinner and still has a higher capacity battery than this phone. Short battery life might be a deal breaker for me.

• 4 weeks later...