Curved screen... please no!

On the other that would (keeping all else the same) require a lesser display area and make the device about 1mm thicker, thus making it look even more of something out of the past. And my GUESS would be that the guys designing this after careful considerations have decided in favour of the edged design.

Agreed.

As I am thinking (and unfortunately for you writing) a lot about that, I rather think it isn't stupid. If it would have a flat screen it would look like the Nokia N900 back then. I still would prefer that look, but as a company you wouldn't want to have the looks compared to an old phone in the reviews.

Sadly most of the reviews seem to focus quite heavy on the old CPU. Which in my opinion is not that important for 99% of the users. But still leaves the impression of an outdated phone.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly most of the reviews seem to focus quite heavy on the old CPU. Which in my opinion is not that important for 99% of the users. But still leaves the impression of an outdated phone.

Had it been a less known chipset people would most likely never have known if it was not the newest available. *LOL*

That is the flipside of using a well known and tested chipset. 'Everybody' know it is not the newest, and the fewest are asking the question if it really matters... (nor the risk of bugs on being first movers on anything)

You see the same with car models and people saying "but that is last years model", not really reflecting on whether the differences matters for their usage.

On the other that would (keeping all else the same) require a lesser display area and make the device about 1mm thicker, thus making it look even more of something out of the past. And my GUESS would be that the guys designing this after careful considerations have decided in favour of the edged design.

Agreed.

As I am thinking (and unfortunately for you writing) a lot about that, I rather think it isn’t stupid. If it would have a flat screen it would look like the Nokia N900 back then. I still would prefer that look, but as a company you wouldn’t want to have the looks compared to an old phone in the reviews.

I noticed those reviews as well. I don't really understand their problem since I'm currently using the Oneplus 5t which has got pretty much the specs as the Pro1. I never encountered any performance issues and don't think that there will be any in the next few years.

I think a lot of reviews are coming from a point "Okey, I get a physical keyboard. What do I trade for it?". And for many people, phones do not last like they used to. I would say for a majority of people, smartphone is changed - on average - every two years. In that perspective, last years model is quite a setback. But for fxtec's credit I think they are pretty close to a sweet spot where you don't really trade much for it. And I think that's pretty much the point.

Individual reviewers review like 20 smartphones a year (and some tech sites even more, but if we take a three week review cycle per phone, 20 is probably quite close). They need to make the differences between them in somewhere, otherwise people will stop caring.

I think a lot of reviews are coming from a point “Okey, I get a physical keyboard. What do I trade for it?”. And for many people, phones do not last like they used to. I would say for a majority of people, smartphone is changed – on average – every two years. In that perspective, last years model is quite a setback. But for fxtec’s credit I think they are pretty close to a sweet spot where you don’t really trade much for it. And I think that’s pretty much the point.

Individual reviewers review like 20 smartphones a year (and some tech sites even more, but if we take a three week review cycle per phone, 20 is probably quite close). They need to make the differences between them in somewhere, otherwise people will stop caring.

I agree with you, but people do not change that often any more: (source). Seems that people get that the differences are minor now (that's why folding screens are tried, the industry is hungry for everything that is new. Even if it is that stupid. That is also the reason the timing for the Pro¹ is fantastic!). Only tech-bloggers seem to not understand that (no of course you have to write something). But that could also be a chance for the Pro¹. It will be very easy to write an interesting article about the Pro¹ as long as they focus on the keyboard.

I agree with you, but people do not change that often any more: (source). Seems that people get that the differences are minor now (that’s why folding screens are tried, the industry is hungry for everything that is new. Even if it is that stupid. That is also the reason the timing for the Pro¹ is fantastic!). Only tech-bloggers seem to not understand that (no of course you have to write something). But that could also be a chance for the Pro¹. It will be very easy to write an interesting article about the Pro¹ as long as they focus on the keyboard.

I would claim that we the last couple of years has seen an incline in he prices, but a very limited evolution of the phablets. So the incitement to upgrade what ever we have is lacking or at the least limited. For many years the prices of the 'flagships' was roughly the same, but the phones improved YoY.

The last almost ten years we have seen a decrease in variation, so almost only slabs are available, and even with very small variation in the stamina. We have had slowly increased surfaces, increased pixel density, and increased image qualities of the camera substitutes. And to handle this increased processor power. You could say that the only really new thing that has happened is the finger print scanners. Hardly a big revolution, as the introduction of touch screen was. Build in planned obsolescence by the batteries not user replaceable has become the norm, to trick people to upgrade anyway...

By the very early (almost prototypes) of folding devices we see this year, there might FINALLY be some new development away from slabs only, and in this context the timing of the Pro¹ seems quite lucky as you said.

"In terms of hardware, we’ve switched to a better display supplier based on the initial feedback we received at MWC. The new screen on the Pro1 is the same size and has the same technical specs. The main differences are that the panel produces a more vibrant image with far less blue shift and the sides are physically less curved. (This particular supplier also supplies the display for Huawei’s Mate X folding phone so we’re in good company)."

Well would you look at that..

How about some detailed photos?

“In terms of hardware, we’ve switched to a better display supplier based on the initial feedback we received at MWC. The new screen on the Pro1 is the same size and has the same technical specs. The main differences are that the panel produces a more vibrant image with far less blue shift and the sides are physically less curved. (This particular supplier also supplies the display for Huawei’s Mate X folding phone so we’re in good company).”

Well would you look at that..

How about some detailed photos?

Well just google for images

elephone "U PRO"

See this from previous page

Below (hi res) image from trustedreviews show the soft curve quite clearly

Elephone U Pro

Or see this video (starting about

, and the next about 30 sec - well he keeps praising the display later in the video also)

I can see on the video of Elephone that I really does not want curved screen. You can see a black background but on the sides, it is very light because it reflect all the light from around. If there is option to make the width of the phone lower so the curved part of screen does shows nothing, that would eliminate all the problems of curved screen. At least for me :D. And that is just software thing.

I can see on the video of Elephone that I really does not want curved screen. You can see a black background but on the sides, it is very light because it reflect all the light from around. If there is option to make the width of the phone lower so the curved part of screen does shows nothing, that would eliminate all the problems of curved screen. At least for me :D. And that is just software thing.

Optional firmware bezels, sounds like a great workaround, so those that want a completely flat display area can have that.

Hope they will be able to offer that as an option.

• 4 weeks later...
As suggested earlier, I have a perhaps optimistic hope, that cutting one from a S8+ or S9+ with a class cutter might be a possibility, if the side-curvature matches.

This failed miserably, but protectors for the Elephone U Pro with the same front exists.

• 1 month later...
I for one fully support a curved screen. The keyboard is “retro” because it works. A flat screen would be retro just for the sake of being retro.

I fully disagree with this statement. I realize that it is too late to make changes now, but perhaps a future iteration might offer a tradition screen with a bezel like the Droid 4 as an option. It would NOT be retro for the sake of retro. It would be SIMPLE for the sake of being DURABLE. I have dropped my Droid 4 MANY, many times, and never broken the screen. I have never used or needed a screen protector with it. The bezel protects it.

I did have a Priv briefly with a silicone screen protector, and can confirm that they work very well. I will be getting one for mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I think curved screen makes sense for this phone. we are comparing this phone with Samsung Galaxy Edge series phones, be it S10 S7 edge.

We should remember that this is a slider phone therefore it has its thickness from the keyboard part too, which rules out the question of accidental touches.

I was just thinking about how would this phone look without a curved screen from the sides, it anyways has thickness more than a typical smartphone (ofcourse ??) (welcome slider keyboard welcome)

After seeing from the posts above that the screen is actually the same used in Elephone U Pro I would like someone to clarify on the glass of the screen itself. It is said that Elephone U Pro uses Gorilla Glass 5 but on the Fxtec website it is said that the Pro1 uses Gorilla Glass 3. Does the Pro1 uses Gorilla Glass 3 or 5? Looking at the fact that the protective foil is the only way of having any screen protection because of curves I think that clarification is pretty important. Flat screen is simpler and easier to protect and I'm afraid of the durability of that curved screen especially because the phone will be probably heavier than average so any impact will be more powerful for the glass.

Anyway, I wonder if that upcoming protective case will also protect the screen.

After seeing from the posts above that the screen is actually the same used in Elephone U Pro I would like someone to clarify on the glass of the screen itself. It is said that Elephone U Pro uses Gorilla Glass 5 but on the Fxtec website it is said that the Pro1 uses Gorilla Glass 3. Does the Pro1 uses Gorilla Glass 3 or 5? Looking at the fact that the protective foil is the only way of having any screen protection because of curves I think that clarification is pretty important. Flat screen is simpler and easier to protect and I’m afraid of the durability of that curved screen especially because the phone will be probably heavier than average so any impact will be more powerful for the glass.

Anyway, I wonder if that upcoming protective case will also protect the screen.

That puzzled me too. but asked, Boe (the manufacturer) says it is Gorilla Glass 3, So why Elephone write 5, I do not know.

A little more on the different version can be found here, and many others clearly stick to 3.

As I understand it GC4,5 and 6 are more impact resistant, and thus more scratch prone. (for physical reasons the harder, the more brittle)

Thanks for reply.

I have a phone with 2.5D screen with Gorilla Glass 3 and it's indeed very scratch resistant. I'm using it without any kind of protector and there only ~5 almost unnoticeable scratches after 1,5 years, never had so good results with any other phone when it comes to scratches. However protective foil can prevent scratches, tempered glass and curves together are problem so the only way to improve impact resistance will be a case.

I guess that side drops won't be much dangerous because the phone is thicker and there will be more surface to take the impact, what I am afraid of are glass-first drops, either corner or flat drops and curved screen means more chance for glass to hit the surface directly compared to flat screen. I really don't trust curved screens. I really hope that Pro1 case will address this.

I wish we could get some data from durability tests of the Pro1.