Any chance of a bundled screen protector? I know pre-orders ship with a case, which is welcome, but does this also include a screen protector?

I've always operated my Priv with a screen protector from day one. I didn't with my old Xperia Pro and the screen isn't in particularly decent condition!

Given the rarity of keyboard phones (after the Xperia Pro, I had a US Motorola Photon Q modified to add a SIM slot, then when that died the Priv was the only keyboard phone) I want to do as much as possible to protect it.

Really looking forward to returning to a landscape keyboard phone.

• Like 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, I hope you're well, I'm the founder of MediaDevil. I noticed we were getting some traffic from this forum so I followed the trail and voila. We're based in London (South Wimbled

Just for information, I was in email contact with the guys at MediaDevil.com.  They said they were interested in developing cases and screen protectors for the Pro1. In our last email they said;

i have purchased pre-curved PET screen protector 🙂 It is for elephone from ali

Posted Images

Would be nice if they get one.

Perhaps if the screen is identical to one used on a more common model, we could get one for that one. The dimensions seems rather close to the Meizu 16(x), so perhaps that is a match?

If not my personal fall back plan is to try if a tempered glass protector for a Samsung S8+ or S9+ has the right side curvature (the width is 0.2 mm larger resp. smaller) and then use a glass-cutter to shorten it sufficiently.

And if that fails too my fall-back plan is to get plain foil-protectors for one or the other. those should be easy to cut.

A company in Germany need only the dimensions of the screen to build a customized screen protector.

If Fx(tec) send the the correct dimension I will ask https://atfolix.info to create a new screen protector for european customers. The company build a lot of screen protectors for me like GPD Pocket2.

Are they making foils only, or also (one direction) curved tempered glass protectors?.(like this)

Yes, I just called the company. The foil protect the whole curved display!

Thanks. That would be a nice fall back. But if possible i would much rather have a tempered glass protector as I do not really fear of scratches on gorilla glass as much as I fear breaking it.

In my experience a simple £1-3 curved tempered glass protector takes the energy of many minor impacts. Though the quality is not that high, and they typically get a cracked line or two within about two months, so for My Priv (and the S8-) I just bought a stack, and change them whenever needed. It could typically break while playing with my dog and having the phone in the pocket bumping into something hard, e.g. him swinging a large branch.

• 1 month later...
... plan is to try if a tempered glass protector for a Samsung S8+ or S9+ has the right side curvature (the width is 0.2 mm larger resp. smaller) and then use a glass-cutter to shorten it sufficiently......

This failed miserably, but protectors for the Elephone U Pro with the same front exists.

• 4 weeks later...

(...) Later I found specific ones I could order from Amazon, but honestly don’t remember the brands (I got 2 different ones, both have the same – good – performance). I drop the phone real often and so far (2 years) the screen is still safe and sound. (...)

I thought a little and remembered the brands. I used both Armorsuit and IQ Shield. Both were great and lasted quite a long time (1 1/2 year - Armorsuit; now currently using an IQ shield for ~ 8 months).

On the other hand it would be nice to know whether some manufacturer will produce the screen protector film.

Well screen protectors already exists :) As the screen is identical to the one on the Elephone U Pro, see e.g. this post

I've ordered this one in hopes it will fit, I'll update when the phone releases and arrives here :). https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32852486557.html

Hmm trying in a second browser with cookies cleared, both links need login... Aliexpress has been a bit fussy lately even requiring login just for searches even (at least so I've been told), don't really know what the deal is with that.

Interesting, and definitely not expensive. I would have preferred tempered glass though.

Just ordered 5, and hope they fit... :)

ADD: Seems that the same can be found a bit cheaper here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32851277108.html

(silly me....)

ADD2, Actually one can cancel orders for some period at the order list, so was stingy and tried that....

I´ve to login, well.. this one should work:

Interesting, and definitely not expensive. I would have preferred tempered glass though.

Just ordered 5, and hope they fit… :)

ADD: Seems that the same can be found a bit cheaper here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32851277108.html

(silly me….)

Well [insert bad word] we paid too much xD...

Hmm trying in a second browser with cookies cleared, both links need login… Aliexpress has been a bit fussy lately even requiring login just for searches even (at least so I’ve been told), don’t really know what the deal is with that.

(I experienced the same inconsistent behaviour - I'm new to aliexpress)

Hmm trying in a second browser with cookies cleared, both links need login… Aliexpress has been a bit fussy lately even requiring login just for searches even (at least so I’ve been told), don’t really know what the deal is with that.

(I experienced the same inconsistent behaviour – I’m new to aliexpress)

It's been a long time I've used it, only recently (since a few days) they require login for trivial stuff like viewing listings and searching. However it seems even if you where logged in before and the session expires you don't need to log in again unless doing something like viewing order history or buying something, so I am hardly aware of these changes.

If you really put your phone (and the good "foil" protectors) to the test, you will be surprised. The somewhat substantial "thickness" of the film and also the materials "silicone-like", soft, shock-absorbing texture, is brilliant. I assure you I drop my Priv at least weekly. You wouldn't believe how intact it is. I firmly believe the "silicone foil/film" protectors are way better than the tempered glass ones. They absorb more shock energy thus protecting not only form scratches but also from shock (dropping the phone).

Ever since I first tried this kind of protector (that Copter tablet protector which I then cut myself to fit the Priv -- actually bought in Scandinavia - Helsinki!), I never even considered the tempered glass ones again. My brother-in-law is an iphone fan and breaks his tempered glass protectors about monthly. It starts to get expensive...

… plan is to try if a tempered glass protector for a Samsung S8+ or S9+ has the right side curvature (the width is 0.2 mm larger resp. smaller) and then use a glass-cutter to shorten it sufficiently……

This failed miserably, but protectors for the Elephone U Pro with the same front exists.

That did sound a bit strange, there's no way you can cut tempered glass. It will shatter (not just break) as soon as you try.

That did sound a bit strange, there’s no way you can cut tempered glass. It will shatter (not just break) as soon as you try.

Yeah, that was too optimistic It is not a problem cutting with a diamond, but I could not get it to follow the line breaking at the cut. I guess the film inside is too tough to just tear where I want it to....

That did sound a bit strange, there’s no way you can cut tempered glass. It will shatter (not just break) as soon as you try.

Yeah, that was too optimistic It is not a problem cutting with a diamond, but I could not get it to follow the line breaking at the cut. I guess the film inside is too tough to just tear where I want it to….

Seems to be a little bit more complex: https://www.wikihow.com/Cut-Tempered-Glass

Yeah, that was too optimistic It is not a problem cutting with a diamond, but I could not get it to follow the line breaking at the cut. I guess the film inside is too tough to just tear where I want it to….

I've had some luck cutting thin glass (light bulbs and the likes) with diamond based cutoff wheels (the type like for dremel tools) under flowing water. It'd be hard to hold on to a curvy screen protector and cut tidy though.

Seems to be a little bit more complex: https://www.wikihow.com/Cut-Tempered-Glass

Wauv, that is complex.... But might not be quite as complex on these very very thin sheets.

And looking here, many screen protectors sold as "tempered glass" protectors really should be called "laminated glass" protectors. (It also have an illustrative video)

As when they break, they do not break quite the same way a say tempered glass door, breaking the whole piece into about equally sized bits. It cracks along a number of lines, looking like a spiders web, but it (usually) stays together. See some examples e.g. here

Seems to be a little bit more complex:

Wauv, that is complex…. But might not be quite as complex on these very very thin sheets.

And looking here, many screen protectors sold as “tempered glass” protectors really should be called “laminated glass” protectors. (It also have an illustrative video)

As when they break, they do not break quite the same way a say tempered glass door, breaking the whole piece into about equally sized bits. It cracks along a number of lines, looking like a spiders web, but it (usually) stays together. See some examples e.g. here

This wouldn't be what you want anyway:

This process is called annealing, and it will effectively undo the tempering process, weakening the glass to the point that you can cut it.