Sequence of order processing + issues with orders

I was under the impression that self-servicability was a big focus for the device. Not that I complain (I probably wouldn't want to be doing it myself anyway) but it is kind of a big departure from the original standpoint IMHO.

On a side note: thanks for the heads up on the account number. Device is paid, anxiously waiting for it!

Also: yay, new forum. Let's see if I can finally put a face to that avatar xD

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do You mean that there won't be any possibility of repairing the phone beside the authorised service? If so, what's the point of advertising the phone as an easy to repair device? We're not talking about rocket science where You need extremely expensive and hard to operate tools, we're living in times where everyone skilled enough can repair the phone on their own. What if I find the prices in Your service to high and decide to take the risk and repair it by myself - will that mean that I have a nice brick bought for 650€? Besides, isn't it illegal in the EU?

Honestly... The more answers we get here the less I like this whole politics. All we wanted was to replace the BUTTONS to some other layout (not the keyboard itself, just the part we are touching when the phone is slid out) and now we hear, despite the photo published today on Twitter, that any repair won't be possible because the parts will not be for sale to private customers OR unauthorized services... not cool!

I don’t believe any major phone manufacturer would openly supply/sell service parts to the general public.

I think some of us hoped FxTec was a little different than ‘any major phone manufacturer’ and WOULD openly sell service parts to the general public.

Unfortunately, Craig, this will require an entirely different process – part stocking and supply to be put in place. While the general user would very much prefer a worry-free, simple “ship and return” repair option – which is also the standard within the industry. As we are a newly established manufacturer, it is important for us to provide efficacious, reliable and quick service, to ensure the long term support and sustainability of our products.

Erik

EDIT: There were a misunderstanding here,they ARE going to offer spare parts, apart from the service. See the corrected statement here

Now that is REALLY bad news, and as others have said seems REALLY weird when Chen just yesterday(!) tweeted an image on how easy it is to take apart primarily with a screwdriver...

And as others have said, I'm not sure it is even legal to require people to send it for authorized service for repair - even aPple have trouble getting away with tricks like that. In my book this is a HUGE blow to my perception of the company. ;-(

SURE there could be some delay to get some parts, but you could simply let us (or independent repair shops) order them in advanced. Some parts I would like to buy from day one(!), and would not care if there were say three months of delivery time....

Especially the keyboard, the USB-pcb and the cable between the two parts, I do not expect to last ten years...

Now that is REALLY bad news, and as others have said seems REALLY weird when Chen just yesterday(!) tweeted an image on how easy it is to take apart primarily with a screwdriver…

And as others have said, I’m not sure it is even legal to require people to send it for authorized service for repair – even aPple have trouble getting away with tricks like that. In my book this is a HUGE blow to my perception of the company. ;-(

SURE there could be some delay to get some parts, but you could simply let us (or independent repair shops) order them in advanced. Some parts I would like to buy from day one(!), and would not care if there were say three months of delivery time….

Especially the keyboard, the USB-pcb and the cable between the two parts, I do not expect to last ten years…

Exactly! I mean it is great news that they are using a big support network and we can send it in easily, I was worried this isn't the case with a small company like that. But I am even more worried, that I have to buy a slab again, if fxtec doesn't survive (I hope it does).

Given us access to the parts means we can hold the phone alive like many people still do with the n900.

Somehow I don't have a problem with ordering the screen, mainboard, loudspeaker, camera, battery or any other components to my Samsung, my wife's OnePlus, my sister's Sony or my mom's Xiaomi directly to my house within max 2-3 weeks. Isn't Samsung a major phone manufacturer? Or maybe Sony isn't one? During the whole development process we were many times told, that the device will be durable AND easy to repair - by "easy to repair" everyone understood that the parts are easy to get and the device is not glued together like "any other major manufacturer" 's phone.

Being easy to repair was one of the most important things for me. Why? Because I'm supporting here a new company, unknown to anyone I asked, which we don't know how long will live. Usually when a company "dies" - the support and spare parts also disappear from the market. So I planned to buy me the spare parts "just in case". Now, let's take the darkest scenario - we get the device, the company isn't earning enough money on it and disappears within 2-3 months. What now? No service, no spare parts, no support - NOTHING. For, let's remind, a price of 650€ + shipping - and that's already a discounted price. For me - total no go. Plan to provide service for 2 years and more are just PLANS - just like the plan to deliver the device in July, selling it at a price of 650€ or doing multiple options for the keyboard layouts.

I have now been updated that spare parts will be available at a later point in time after launch. This, of course, is in addition to the default repair option which we have with our authorised service providers. Established service providers are a requirement by most carrier networks and retailers before they can stock products of new smartphone manufacturers.

We will know more about this and available parts after launch. Likely, these will only be purchasable upon request through our Helpdesk.

I have, however, been assured that service parts are definitely going to be available :).

Please disregard previous statements on spare part availability – that isn’t quite the case – spare parts are coming after launch, while service providers will be available on launch.

Erik

I have now been updated that spare parts will be available at a later point in time after launch. This, of course, is in addition to the default repair option which we have with our authorised service providers. Established service providers are a requirement by most carrier networks and retailers before they can stock products of new smartphone manufacturers.

We will know more about this and available parts after launch. Likely, these will only be purchasable upon request through our Helpdesk.

I have, however, been assured that service parts are definitely going to be available :).

Please disregard previous statements on spare part availability – that isn’t quite the case – spare parts are coming after launch, while service providers will be available on launch.

Erik

Phew! That was a relief!! (You really got some of us worried there). Thanks for clearing things up. :-D

(Allow me to suggest to go back and make strikeout-edits of the wrong parts, with a link to the correcting post 32458, for any future readers of the thread)

I would leave it.

Oh not remove it, but use the practical strike through, like this example:

Here I wrote something wrong

ADD: This is incorrect, please see... and a link

This way a future ready do not need to get worried, (Edited my own above this way)

OK, I'd say it's time for an update FX team. I've wired you The Money Lebowski, yet have not received a confirmation that you have it. I would very much like for one, because I'm totally hyped about the product and surely want to bump the hype factor to 9000 (or over) but I'm really hesitant in promoting a product which isn't in my hands yet... Are you on schedule for a September on-my-doorstep push?

About the pre-order problem:

I have a 2nd pre-order on hold. After my CC payment was rejected, I switched the payment method to 'Bank transfer'. That's it, pre-order on hold. Might be a glitch which can get adjusted by the team and my order will be cancelled.