Sequence of order processing + issues with orders

Thanks for clarification. Still, the whole situation would look to me suspicious if I would find out about this device for example a week ago – it’s not really encouraging with this whole misinformation here (see also the discussion about the Scandi keyboard in the topic about the price). Still, 650€ is already a lot and increasing this price BEFORE the first items are DELIVERED does not look good from my point of view – it would be fully understandable if the price increases after official premiere, but there was no such event yet.

I see no problem in that, but sending mails to people with an open preoder may lead to misunderstandings.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The price will remain the same for anyone who has a pre-order. While we don’t yet know if we’re going to have a Scandinavian layout, as that requires a certain level of demand to be reached, should that happen and a user has an unpaid pre-order, they will be able to keep their original price.

Erik

Now I'm REALLY getting confused.... Does this mean that the reply sent August 9 countering a previous statement that it was cancelled was wrong (too)????

In the letter from this post it clearly says

"...once that is available"

and not e.g.

"...if that will be available"

(my emphasizing)

It even gave some indication of a time frame...

Could you please double check what is right and what is wrong?

Letter on Scandic availability

The price will remain the same for anyone who has a pre-order. While we don’t yet know if we’re going to have a Scandinavian layout, as that requires a certain level of demand to be reached, should that happen and a user has an unpaid pre-order, they will be able to keep their original price.

Erik

Now I’m REALLY getting confused…. Does this mean that the reply sent August 9 countering a previous statement that it was cancelled was wrong (too)????

In the letter from this post it clearly says

once that is available

and not e.g.

if that will be available

(my emphasizing)

It even gave some indication of a time frame…

Could you please double check what is right and what is wrong?

Letter on Scandic availability

Indeed, that is what we're planning, Eske. However, as mentioned several times, a "plan" does not reflect a schedule or a guarantee. This is still very much a subject to the demand we receive for the specific keyboard layout.

And just to confirm again, while we are planning to have a Scandinavian keyboard layout, and we're working on designing it, this might not realise if the demand for it is too low in comparison to QWERTZ and QWERTY. In any case, Scandinavian layouts wouldn't be announced before the first batch of QWERTY and QWERTZ devices are shipped.

Erik

This means, I should preoder now in the hope my layout will come? Won't this lead to a lot unpaid preorders?

I am in no position to demanding everything, but I would suggest cancelling all the preorders once the device is officially released. Then if you want to give people waiting for scandi a change to get that price do a sale on the new layout for a short time.

But now it seems to be unclear:

1. Is the scandi layout coming?

2. what will the phone cost in regular sales?

3. Are preorders valid for ever and every layout? Then I am gonna place a preoder in hope for a non shifted us layout.

4. Will the keyboard be exchangeable? (With some screwing done?)

One issue I did confirm though, which I am glad you mentioned, is that it still says “To be charged at a future date” for pre-orders which are placed now. This description will be removed for new pre-orders as we now take payments as soon as new pre-orders are placed. It will, however, remain the same for early pre-orders, as again, we didn’t take payments for those until 2 weeks ago.

This is not to split sticks, and is not a big issue, but it IS causing confusion that the order (not pre-order) says "charged at a future date", when I can see on my credit card bill, that it was charged a fortnight ago.... That COULD easily lead to doubt on whether they payment was duly registered as received in your system.

Had it just said "charged", it would be clear....

[attachment file=32140]

Indeed, that is what we’re planning, Eske. However, as mentioned several times, a “plan” does not reflect a schedule or a guarantee. This is still very much a subject to the demand we receive for the specific keyboard layout.

And just to confirm again, while we are planning to have a Scandinavian keyboard layout, and we’re working on designing it, this might not realise if the demand for it is too low in comparison to QWERTZ and QWERTY. In any case, Scandinavian layouts wouldn’t be announced before the first batch of QWERTY and QWERTZ devices are shipped.

Erik

Thanks for the clarification, so a simple, though very unfortunate, grammatical error in the letter, that lead some of us to assume that it was decided, and not just planned. Too bad, but errors happens.

Do you have an estimated price for a keyboard bought later? And can we change it ourselves without breaking warranty? Will it require special tools like a heat-gun, or just screws?

This info really matters to people if they want to buy the device now, and change the keyboard to a Scandinavian one later if it becomes available, or they will have to wait and see if it becomes available before actualising their pre-orders.

If it WILL break warranty, is it possible to put already paid orders on hold, and not have it completed before it is decided what keyboards will be produced. I for one might consider that.

This means, I should preoder now in the hope my layout will come? Won’t this lead to a lot unpaid preorders?

I am in no position to demanding everything, but I would suggest cancelling all the preorders once the device is officially released. Then if you want to give people waiting for scandi a change to get that price do a sale on the new layout for a short time.

But now it seems to be unclear:

1. Is the scandi layout coming?

2. what will the phone cost in regular sales?

3. Are preorders valid for ever and every layout? Then I am gonna place a preoder in hope for a non shifted us layout.

4. Will the keyboard be exchangeable? (With some screwing done?)

We don't currently have a definitive answer if the Scandinavian layout is coming, as our factory has a minimum requirement for the order quantity which we must meet. We will know more as we monitor the demand for this layout in the upcoming weeks.

The price will remain the same for any pre-order which was placed until now - regardless if it's paid or not. The price will only change for orders that are placed after the upcoming price increase.

Should anyone have concerns on their unpaid pre-order pricing and future probability of the Scandinavian layout, it is best to contact our support at [email protected] to avoid misinformation and mass confusion.

To my knowledge, the keyboard layouts will not be interchangeable.

I find the whole pre-order information system as a total disaster. I'm working as a sales support and customer service in industry sector, daily I'm registering orders for tens of thousands € and I'll be honest - it is not acceptable to show such level of misinformation in the real world business. Taking money and still saying, that the amount is still to be collected? Problems with payment in multiple banks in many different countries?

In case of going to the court (not to say that I will - I won't as long as the device will arrive) I would lose, because FxTec could say, that the website says clearly that the money WILL BE COLLECTED AT A FUTURE DATE = they were not until this moment. And my payment? Well, maybe there was some hacker attack, somebody has sent me the e-mail with false payment site and now he has not just the 650€ but also information about my credit card? My bank did mark the transaction as suspicious, didn't it?

Sounds like some conspiracy theory, BUT... Here in Poland it happens every day that we hear about some new fake seller who is faking websites of popular banks just to get the login or credit card details... (they even found a way to get the SMS code for transaction confirmations!). We heard about much more sophisticated ways to get money and then just disappear. I'm not the only one being here suspicious, there are some other users on the Maemo forum who think the same.

As a company that fights for every customer (we heard more than once that the process is sooo high because there are not so much cosutomers etc.) the order site should be much more refined, there should be no place for such fails.

1. Should we understand, that the will not be able to replace the worn-out keys?

2. If not, maybe You could say the number (not the exact amount of course) how much buttons have to be ordered? I'm sure that just the buttons are not so expensive (how much can it cost, 5€? 10€?) and some users would LOVE to order 1 or 2 pieces just in case if their keyboard wears out. I'm considering myself ordering some spare parts as for example 2 spare batteries, 1 spare screen, 2 or 3 flex tapes, one full spare keyboard - just in case if FxTec disappears from the market after a few months (nobody would like that, but let's be honest, it can happen and nobody wants another paperweight just because the support for the 650€ device died after a year due to lack of orders).

1. Should we understand, that the will not be able to replace the worn-out keys?

2. If not, maybe You could say the number (not the exact amount of course) how much buttons have to be ordered? I’m sure that just the buttons are not so expensive (how much can it cost, 5€? 10€?) and some users would LOVE to order 1 or 2 pieces just in case if their keyboard wears out. I’m considering myself ordering some spare parts as for example 2 spare batteries, 1 spare screen, 2 or 3 flex tapes, one full spare keyboard – just in case if FxTec disappears from the market after a few months (nobody would like that, but let’s be honest, it can happen and nobody wants another paperweight just because the support for the 650€ device died after a year due to lack of orders).

The display we know is a 'standard' part from Boe, also used on the Elephone U, so that should be reasonably available.

We do not know the battery, but I can not imagine why that should not be a standard item too.

But the keyboard I too would like some spares, as I have no idea if it is going to be ten years before the next keyboard slider comes out...

Uh that sounds like a nasty blow. Could you elaborate a bit on that?

While technically the keys can be changed, that would only be done by our service locations. It would be a logistics, operational and potentially service catastrophe to manage separate user-based service parts. Historically all leading manufacturers avoid doing this due the reasons above.

We're setting up multiple service locations for convenient and simple warranty repairs. They'll be professionally trained to provide service for the Pro1.

As with most backlit keyboards however, the letters on the keycaps aren't printed. What this means, is that the letters won't fade out with time, and they won't wear off.

2. If not, maybe You could say the number (not the exact amount of course) how much buttons have to be ordered? I’m sure that just the buttons are not so expensive (how much can it cost, 5€? 10€?) and some users would LOVE to order 1 or 2 pieces just in case if their keyboard wears out. I’m considering myself ordering some spare parts as for example 2 spare batteries, 1 spare screen, 2 or 3 flex tapes, one full spare keyboard – just in case if FxTec disappears from the market after a few months (nobody would like that, but let’s be honest, it can happen and nobody wants another paperweight just because the support for the 650€ device died after a year due to lack of orders).

The keyboard design we've gone for doesn't typically wear off. The letters themselves are filled with a different transparent material which allows for light to pass through.

In the rare event that you might need the keyboard, or something else repaired/replaced, service parts will only be available with our authorised service centres. As with all major manufacturers, parts will be assigned on a repair case basis. These will be stocked in the long term, including after the warranty period.

Erik

Sounds like some conspiracy theory, BUT… Here in Poland it happens every day that we hear about some new fake seller who is faking websites of popular banks just to get the login or credit card details… (they even found a way to get the SMS code for transaction confirmations!). We heard about much more sophisticated ways to get money and then just disappear. I’m not the only one being here suspicious, there are some other users on the Maemo forum who think the same.

Being a distrustful Pole myself, you have made me thinking a little bit ;-)

@Erik-FX

We don’t currently have a definitive answer if the Scandinavian layout is coming, as our factory has a minimum requirement for the order quantity which we must meet. We will know more as we monitor the demand for this layout in the upcoming weeks.

This isn't my issue—I'm in the US and am happy with the shifted QWERTY—but I am curious how or what you are monitoring to determine this demand? How do people insure their input provides a data point to what you are monitoring. I would think an email polling all pre-orders asking for their keyboard preferences might be in order. Or are you doing some other full scale bit of market research?

Again, not my issue, but if it were, I know I'd be really confused right now.

By the way, thanks for showing up so much lately to answer questions here. I really appreciate it.

I paid for the phone within 4 hours of receiving my email (which I got at 4:00AM).

That was on August 1st.

Over 2 weeks later and it’s still “processing” and not marked as “completed”.

What does that mean?

Just as an FYI, I got this email back from them this morning:

Support Team (FX Technology Limited)

19 Aug, 06:54 EDT

Dear <name>,

Thanks for your message.

"Processing" is the default status for all orders which are paid, and they're pending to be shipped by us. No further action is required from your side.

Feel free to let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Kind regards,

F(x)tec Support

So at least they are getting back to people if they send messages from the "Contact" page form.

I see now that Chen Liangchen from F(x)tec posted this tweet:

https://twitter.com/chenliangchen/status/1163524008471605249

[attachment file=2019-08-19 - Twitter - Fxtec Chen Liangchen - Full disassembly of Pro1 with screwdriver.png]

[attachment file=2019-08-19 - Twitter - Fxtec Chen Liangchen - ECWq6aKXYAARHnR.jpg]

I guess You also heard about the BLIK scam on fb or fake bank/PayU login sites for phishing, usually used by scammers on OLX ;) if You think about it it's not really that hard to do something like this, there are even better and more sophisticated methods. We're talking here about X-ty thousands of people paying 650$/€/£ - that's literally hundreds of thousands of potential profit... there have been cases where more work has been done for less amount of potential profit. And yet here we are, telling ourselves that "it's probably some system error, not a big deal, nothing to worry about".

I think it is (or should be) especially important for us, 650€ is worth way more work here than in western Europe.

Erik-FX wrote:

He could mean that different TYPES of keyboards are not interchangeable, that is that US and German can not just be interchanged on the same device. Would be odd though. Or he could mean that they are not USER-intechangeable (That is: it would break warranty), and from his next post I assume that was what he meant.

Personally I would still like to have a few keyboards as spares, warranty or not....

Erik-FX wrote:

https://twitter.com/chenliangchen/status/1163524008471605249

He could mean that different TYPES of keyboards are not interchangeable, that is that US and German can not just be interchanged on the same device. Would be odd though. Or he could mean that they are not USER-intechangeable (That is: it would break warranty), and from his next post I assume that was what he meant.

Personally I would still like to have a few keyboards as spares, warranty or not….

Yes, the device is highly modular, however, parts will only be available to our authorised service locations, which are trained to do repairs for the Pro1. A repair will only be authorised if there is a reason for it - changing the keyboard layout likely won't be one - due to risks and operational sophistications this would add. It's very unlikely that the keyboard will wear off, but in case it needs replacing, service options will be available including after the warranty period. This applies to other parts as well, such as the battery, screens, etc.

Replacing the keyboard alone involves hot air guns, which in itself brings a lot of risks. It is a lot more feasible to train a dedicated repairs team than tutoring each customer who might need a repair, as much as we are aware of our highly technical user base :). And finally, if something goes wrong, it would be very simple for us to resolve the case - by replacing the entire device. This type of flexibility and quality can only be offered through our service centres.

Erik

Yes, the device is highly modular, however, parts will only be available to our authorised service locations, which are trained to do repairs for the Pro1. A repair will only be authorised if there is a reason for it – changing the keyboard layout likely won’t be one – due to risks and operational sophistications this would add. It’s very unlikely that the keyboard will wear off, but in case it needs replacing, service options will be available including after the warranty period. This applies to other parts as well, such as the battery, screens, etc.

Replacing the keyboard alone involves hot air guns, which in itself brings a lot of risks. It is a lot more feasible to train a dedicated repairs team than tutoring each customer who might need a repair, as much as we are aware of our highly technical user base :). And finally, if something goes wrong, it would be very simple for us to resolve the case – by replacing the entire device. This type of flexibility and quality can only be offered through our service centres.

Erik

What about out-of-warranty repairs for those who incist on doing stuff themselves or simply have no more warranty? It'd be sad if we could not buy parts separately and have to scavenge them from donor phones as with Apple. In either case tutoring is not a responsibility F(x)tec has, if we attempt repairing it ourselves the responsibility is fully on us, this is how it is for all other brands. And if it's popular enough the parts will end up on Aliexpress somehow either way, probably more profit for F(x)tec if they are providing.

Yes, the device is highly modular, however, parts will only be available to our authorised service locations, which are trained to do repairs for the Pro1. A repair will only be authorised if there is a reason for it – changing the keyboard layout likely won’t be one – due to risks and operational sophistications this would add. It’s very unlikely that the keyboard will wear off, but in case it needs replacing, service options will be available including after the warranty period. This applies to other parts as well, such as the battery, screens, etc.

Replacing the keyboard alone involves hot air guns, which in itself brings a lot of risks. It is a lot more feasible to train a dedicated repairs team than tutoring each customer who might need a repair, as much as we are aware of our highly technical user base :). And finally, if something goes wrong, it would be very simple for us to resolve the case – by replacing the entire device. This type of flexibility and quality can only be offered through our service centres.

Erik

What about out-of-warranty repairs for those who incist on doing stuff themselves or simply have no more warranty? It’d be sad if we could not buy parts separately and have to scavenge them from donor phones as with Apple. In either case tutoring is not a responsibility F(x)tec has, if we attempt repairing it ourselves the responsibility is fully on us, this is how it is for all other brands. And if it’s popular enough the parts will end up on Aliexpress somehow either way, probably more profit for F(x)tec if they are providing.

As mentioned above, service options will be available even after the warranty period of 2 years. There will be service charges if your device is out of warranty, however, this will be fairly priced, and it assures that the repair is completed of the highest standard with original Pro1 parts.

If a repair done by the user fails - that's it, the phone will likely not work again. If our team fails to repair the device, and you have, for example, paid for a screen - we either grab another part or replace the entire device at no additional cost. This is how all of our competitors work. Due to the risk factor explained above, I don't believe any major phone manufacturer would openly supply/sell service parts to the general public. Service parts are only available internally.

Erik

As mentioned above, service options will be available even after the warranty period of 2 years. There will be service charges if your device is out of warranty, however, this will be fairly priced, and it assures that the repair is completed on the highest standard with original Pro1 parts.

Erik

That is not what I fear of, I am sure it will have high standards. My problem is, where are these repair guys?

Will there be a repair location in Switzerland? Probably not. So what does it mean to me, do I need to send that stuff back over the border? What about taxes and postal prices? Are you gonna handle that?

As mentioned above, service options will be available even after the warranty period of 2 years. There will be service charges if your device is out of warranty, however, this will be fairly priced, and it assures that the repair is completed on the highest standard with original Pro1 parts.

Erik

That is not what I fear of, I am sure it will have high standards. My problem is, where are these repair guys?

Will there be a repair location in Switzerland? Probably not. So what does it mean to me, do I need to send that stuff back over the border? What about taxes and postal prices? Are you gonna handle that?

This is not something our users should generally be worried about. We use a repair service organisation called SBE, which works with brands such as Sony, LG, BT, Telefonica, Samsung etc. The service process is designed to be as simple and pain-free as it can possibly get. Ultimately making repairs for the Pro1 reliable, quick, and accessible, even after the warranty period.

We will know more about the process once the device launches and we have set up our policies in place.

Erik

I don’t believe any major phone manufacturer would openly supply/sell service parts to the general public.

I think some of us hoped FxTec was a little different than 'any major phone manufacturer' and WOULD openly sell service parts to the general public.

I don’t believe any major phone manufacturer would openly supply/sell service parts to the general public.

I think some of us hoped FxTec was a little different than ‘any major phone manufacturer’ and WOULD openly sell service parts to the general public.

Unfortunately, Craig, this will require an entirely different process - part stocking and supply to be put in place. While the general user would very much prefer a worry-free, simple "ship and return" repair option - which is also the standard within the industry. As we are a newly established manufacturer, it is important for us to provide efficacious, reliable and quick service, to ensure the long term support and sustainability of our products.

Erik