Scandinavian qwerty please

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like a Scandinavian layout too.

BUT please remember that the print and function is not bound. So the German unshifted QWERTZ will be REALLY close to Swedish (Y/Z print swapped and Ü printed on Å key), that should not take many minutes to get used to IMHO

It is slightly worse for Norwegian Ö printed in the Ø key and Ä printed on Æ.

And for Danish the Æ and Ø print will even be swapped - but as a Dane, I can EASILY live with that....

Other languages with national letters right of A-Z could also use the unshifted German layout as a better alternative than the standard shifted QWERTY that will work best for languages with only A-Z.

Everyone can use QWERTY too. But it’s not as good as a Scandinavian QWERTY like the n900. Qwertz need to be adjusted.

Decided to cancel pre-order rather than pay and hope that many people want a dedicated layout for pro1 or potential sequel.

Everyone can use QWERTY too

Sure, but the shift of the QWERTY would mean you would have the national letters (in our case ÅÄÖ resp. ÆØÅ) in unconventional positions. And (for me at the least) that inhibit typing quite a bit.

IF they had also had an international (non shifted) QWERTY, I would have gone for that over the qwertZ.

Everyone can use QWERTY too

Sure, but the shift of the QWERTY would mean you would have the national letters (in our case ÅÄÖ resp. ÆØÅ) in unconventional positions. And (for me at the least) that inhibit typing quite a bit.

IF they had also had an international (non shifted) QWERTY, I would have gone for that over the qwertZ.

Indeed. Trade-off everywhere l you go.

It’s to bad all the Scandinavian users didn’t for a band of users. Thet way we would have the power of the scandi QWERTY. Hopefully pro1 devs relalize the mistake and release a scandi version at some point. Without most buttons where they belong.

Swedish here. I used the N900 and really miss it. A Scandinavian layout would be great even though I totally understand that it might not happen because of the small market.

The north is not that small when it comes to devices like this. The bad part for us is that some people going for qwertz instead of waiting for a real qwerty of the north.

Swedish here. I used the N900 and really miss it. A Scandinavian layout would be great even though I totally understand that it might not happen because of the small market.

The north is not that small when it comes to devices like this. The bad part for us is that some people going for qwertz instead of waiting for a real qwerty of the north.

N900 or even Droid 4 owners have been waiting so long that people can not hold on anymore. But I would be happy see scandic layout later.

I went with QWERTZ, which is fine I guess. Better than the original QWERTY for sure. Though, I’m more annoyed about the german names for Ctrl etc than other things. But yeah, not a big deal either.

I am completely agree with you.

The bad part for us is that some people going for qwertz instead of waiting for a real qwerty of the north.

I am not surprised as everybody of us are happy to have a chance of owning a phone which also has a real keyboard.

Also, we had to be fast on ordering because of two main reasons:

- to show F(x)tec we are really need this type of hardware

- to have a chance of receiving this phone even if there are not enough similar users like us

So waiting for a layout when (if it will ever) will be available for ordering seems to be a really bad idea - can be bad for users and even the company.

I don't want to compare / refer to an effect I think about right now...

Otherwise, I don't understand why they designed a shifted US keyboard instead of having a normal layout. I would prefer that instead of the QWERTZ one what I have ordered.

As of Scandinavian / Normal US or even Hungarian layouts... I hope it will be replaceable later with not too high effort. :)

It even would be good because in heavy use, it may have some wearing like my old N900 had over years.

Anyway, in N900, it was easy to replace the whole keyboard - if Pro1 has a similar structure, I would be really happy.

Otherwise, I don’t understand why they designed a shifted US keyboard instead of having a normal layout. I would prefer that instead of the QWERTZ one what I have ordered.

They did some testing and came up with the idea, that this is easier for typing (centered). I for myself will go ahead and try it. Will have to rebuild muscle memory for thumb-keyboards anyway.

Sure I would have bought a non shifted qwerty if available, but can't say that I am that sure it would be better without trying it.

Anyway, in N900, it was easy to replace the whole keyboard – if Pro1 has a similar structure, I would be really happy.

That would be a great plus!

Absolutely, FX needs to sell some phones.

So if they would have provided a Scandinavian qwerty you would most likely bought that anyway, but buyers like me that are equally satisfied with a n900 and random high end device will look elsewhere.

So it all boils down to why they didn’t provided a Scandinavian qwerty. If it was the cost it hard to argue. If they didn’t provided due to low demand I think they misread the situation.

So it all boils down to why they didn’t provided a Scandinavian qwerty. If it was the cost it hard to argue. If they didn’t provided due to low demand I think they misread the situation.

it is really hard for us to evaluate, when we do not know the cost in making an alternative layout. Sure number 2 is just as cheap as any layout, but what is the price of number 1? That cost has to be covered by additional sales of either devices or extra keyboards the users changes...

So if they would have provided a Scandinavian qwerty you would most likely bought that anyway, but buyers like me that are equally satisfied with a n900 and random high end device will look elsewhere.

Do not forget the logistic costs. Sure the hardware itself has the same price no matter what price. But everything else can be expensive. You must organise different stickers, different boxes you must store this things somewhere and have controlls to ensure the right box is used for the right keyboard. The right box has to be delivered to the right place and so on... Sure this is nothing special and not that hard. It is also not that expensive if you have a high count of these numbers. BUt on low production numbers these things can cost a lot of money and time.

On top of that, they most likely need different test-sets for the keyboards.

Do not forget the logistic costs. Sure the hardware itself has the same price no matter what price. But everything else can be expensive. You must organise different stickers, different boxes you must store this things somewhere and have controlls to ensure the right box is used for the right keyboard. The right box has to be delivered to the right place and so on… Sure this is nothing special and not that hard. It is also not that expensive if you have a high count of these numbers. BUt on low production numbers these things can cost a lot of money and time.

Yes, it will certainly be simpler for them if this is just an accessory we as users can buy, and swap ourselves. But we are yet to here anything on how easy or difficult it is to change the keyboard. I fear that it might require heating up some glue, or something similar, as they changed the keyboard to get easier access to the battery, that could mean that the keyboard is not super easy to remove. But I might have misunderstood something.

Yes, it will certainly be simpler for them if this is just an accessory we as users can buy, and swap ourselves. But we are yet to here anything on how easy or difficult it is to change the keyboard. I fear that it might require heating up some glue, or something similar, as they changed the keyboard to get easier access to the battery, that could mean that the keyboard is not super easy to remove. But I might have misunderstood something.

Yes I do not think either, that it will be easy to switch the keyboard. I can live with the shifted qwerty keyboard. But I am lucky that I use the US-International layout anyway. For people using a regional keyboard layout it is a downer.

I am pretty sure a lot of people are waiting for their layout before ordering. But I think if you want keyboard phones to come back, you have to take some minor hits. I dislike the curved screen and the shifted layout (and the size is not perfect). But compared to anything else it is so much better.

But sure it is a lot to ask people spending so much money on a phone with the "wrong" layout. So I do not want to disrespect anyone with another opinion. I am just saying for me it is worth the price for the small chance that keyboard phones are back. And luckily I am in the luxurious position to be able to pay the price for my wish without big trouble.

I just hope anybody who is not so lucky does not take it personal and still recommend the phone to anybody who uses the us layout anyway :D

Do not forget the logistic costs. Sure the hardware itself has the same price no matter what price. But everything else can be expensive. You must organise different stickers, different boxes you must store this things somewhere and have controlls to ensure the right box is used for the right keyboard. The right box has to be delivered to the right place and so on… Sure this is nothing special and not that hard. It is also not that expensive if you have a high count of these numbers. BUt on low production numbers these things can cost a lot of money and time.

And not in the least they risk ending up with inventory which they don't know if they can sell or afford to stock. And for things like injection molding plastic and pad printing etc, the economy of scale is not to be underestimated so making a small enough quantity may simply not be economically viable.

Got the replay from pro1 support. Scandinavian qwerty will not be available.

Please make your voice heard about scandi layout for next device so Fx/pro team change that.

Oh? So why have they notmessaged me about this?... :/ They even acknowledged my SCANDI-order and now for the pre--pay, I got the "pay later" notice for paying when the Scandi-version comes out. Could they not then just have told me "will not be available, do you want to cancel"?

Time to look at my old poll...

Got the replay from pro1 support. Scandinavian qwerty will not be available.

Please make your voice heard about scandi layout for next device so Fx/pro team change that.

I just received this reply from the team in regards to

their plans of a scandinaviann qwerty :

[attachment file=Capture+_2019-08-09-13-29-31-1.png]

I did pre-order but when I asked I was told no scandi so I cancelled. Then a week later they announce scandi coming up in a few weeks. That could happen. But I won’t pay more for it. If anything we should pay less.

any source or official confirmation about the scandi layout? EskeRahn pointed out on several occasions that qwertz or qwerty should be quite usable for you guys.. i am personally totally fine with using an american layout on my Photon Q with qwertz Software setting. after a short while I know where all the symbols are hiding, and I type them without even looking at the print (which doesn't match)

any source or official confirmation about the scandi layout? EskeRahn pointed out on several occasions that qwertz or qwerty should be quite usable for you guys.. i am personally totally fine with using an american layout on my Photon Q with qwertz Software setting. after a short while I know where all the symbols are hiding, and I type them without even looking at the print (which doesn’t match)

EDIT 2019/08/19 14:00 GMT

Yeah, there is an official reply, that can be found above in a mail to MortisAngelus from 9. August.

Unfortunately this had a crucial grammatical error, it is "planning" we should have focused on... see this

I have adjusted the text in the image below

[attachment file=32148]

Oh no. Now that that's finally clear that it is supposedly coming out in several weeks. About the same time as the other devices should be shipping, right? But you Northerners are in an inconvenient position cuz if you don't preorder now, you don't know the price. This is actually unfair. @Fxtec You should let the scandi guys preorder scandi, even if they have to wait longer for delivery. If it doesnt work out, give them the option for qwerty/qwertz/refund.