F(x)tec Repairability plans for the Pro1

1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

I think we would be extremely lucky if any of those are standard parts. But we can hope of course. I believe we do have a close up of the small pcb with the USB, but I might remember wrong.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that real pictures would be valuable, because the parts could have been changed since the photos were taken for FCC licensing.  We know the flex cable and flex cable connector were change at some point in the testing phase.  The USB port is supposed to be modular, not soldered, yet the FCC photos show a soldered type.

ADD:  I'm hoping they found some extra long, pre-existing flex cable, that other phones use, and used that.  The fact that they said they switched the cable and connector after initial testing gives me a little more hope that it was something they found, rather than built.  That doesn't  mean it isn't rare though, since it could have been for some low-volume phone/device.

Edited by david
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks to your comment I've finally decided to publish my teardown guide I've been working on for some time 🙂 https://gelraen.github.io/fxtec-pro1-teardown/ (forum topic)

I took a series of photos in an effort to troubleshoot my drowned Pro1, hope they are of use. https://imgur.com/gallery/17bo7bI

Best pictures of the battery we have had so far!  Thanks! 👍

Posted Images

9 hours ago, david said:

@FlyingAntero, since you will be taking your phone part way apart anyway, which I believe voids the warranty, if you have a chance to take photos of both sides of the battery, that would be very helpful in possibly finding a source online where we can get them.  I realize you are replacing the screen, and might not need to open the bottom, but I'm just mentioning it since you will be doing some surgery anyway.

Also, close up pictures of the flex cable, flex cable connectors and USB port would all be valuable, as those are parts we might want to replace over time and currently don't know where to source them.

I am not sure If I am going to replace my screen right away. Currently, everything is working normally and the crack is only a visual issue (for now). I can live with it. However, since the screen is damaged it can break to non-functional more easily anytime. So I need a spare part for backup. I will take pictures of the components when I am going to change the screen. I just don't know when that will happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
7 hours ago, david said:

The USB port is supposed to be modular, not soldered, yet the FCC photos show a soldered type.

What I remember always reading is that it's modular in the sense of being on a separate board which can be swapped if the USB port really breaks.
I'm not exactly sure what kind of modular USB port they should've used. I guess I can imagine one, but they need to be able to source that stuff from somewhere.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

I am not sure If I am going to replace my screen right away. Currently, everything is working normally and the crack is only a visual issue (for now). I can live with it. However, since the screen is damaged it can break to non-functional more easily anytime. So I need a spare part for backup. I will take pictures of the components when I am going to change the screen. I just don't know when that will happen.

This sounds wise, not to take it apart before really needed, while it is so hard to get a new one, or spare parts, should you accidentally damage something else while changing.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, elvissteinjr said:

What I remember always reading is that it's modular in the sense of being on a separate board which can be swapped if the USB port really breaks.
I'm not exactly sure what kind of modular USB port they should've used. I guess I can imagine one, but they need to be able to source that stuff from somewhere.

Yes and by "modular" they could mean this separate small pcb, versus soldered to the main board. This would still make it much cheaper to replace. And similar for the 3.5mm smc board.

On 3/16/2020 at 2:59 PM, Hook said:

I just got my shipment of 1600 black dots from the UK.  It's 8 sheets of 200 dots.  They look perfect for the Pro1 screw covers.  Whats more, I believe cutting one dot in half would work for the keyboard corners. Lol.  1600. 😄 😎

I'll be DIYing my screen repair. If you got stickers to spare I definitely need a set. Let me know if it's ok and I'll DM you my address.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, magicafternoon said:

I'll be DIYing my screen repair. If you got stickers to spare I definitely need a set. Let me know if it's ok and I'll DM you my address.

What happened to the screen?

If you are doing the replacement soon, if you end up taking the bottom half apart, pictures of the parts mentioned several posts ago would be great.  

Good luck with the repair.  If you are able to document the process, that would be very helpful too.

• Like 1
On 3/17/2020 at 4:21 AM, FlyingAntero said:

Oh dear, I just broke the screen of my Pro¹. I was sitting on the floor and the phone slipped from my pocket. It was only 10 cm drop! Everything still works but there is one crack across the glass. I just ordered replacement screen but I will also need those stickers.

@Serolfic can you order some stickers for me?

Hey, I haven't been active on this forum because I've had to send my device back to Fxtec 😞

Do you still need these stickers?

On 3/17/2020 at 5:21 AM, FlyingAntero said:

Oh dear, I just broke the screen of my Pro¹. I was sitting on the floor and the phone slipped from my pocket. It was only 10 cm drop!

That's very unfortunate. Not wearing any protection I take?

Mine dropped 60cm on a wooden floor and got away unscratched. It's always protected by a full leather bookcase from SnakeHive.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 8:27 AM, Serolfic said:

Hey, I haven't been active on this forum because I've had to send my device back to Fxtec 😞

Do you still need these stickers?

I just dropped my phone and cracked the screen as well! I’m so upset and sad, does this sticker repair it or anyone try to replace their screen yet? looking for help! 

Also the drop seems to mess with my incoming calls audio. I can’t hear the other person but they can hear me just fine. 😞 

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, imsosad said:

does this sticker repair it

I'm guessing they don't 😅

1 hour ago, imsosad said:

anyone try to replace their screen yet

yes someone could replace his screen already search the forums.

See:

Edited by Slion
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a problem. Today USB port became loose and phone's not charging. I don't remember any serious force applied to port. It looks like soldering wasn't strong enough.

What should I do now? Am I able to dismount phone myself? How to do it? Maybe USB port has only to be soldered to PCB, but if not, where to get spare parts? How to use warranty?

I really like this phone, even it has some stability issues, but I didn't expect it to break with no obvious reason.

• Sad 2
8 minutes ago, spam71 said:

I've got a problem. Today USB port became loose and phone's not charging. I don't remember any serious force applied to port. It looks like soldering wasn't strong enough.

What should I do now? Am I able to dismount phone myself? How to do it? Maybe USB port has only to be soldered to PCB, but if not, where to get spare parts? How to use warranty?

I really like this phone, even it has some stability issues, but I didn't expect it to break with no obvious reason.

Contact support

• Like 1

So looks like this is the battery source (the company, not the wholesale web site hosting the company's catalog. 

https://sunshinelec.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008825825782/Showroom/3000000213584/15428/Mobile-phone-battery.htm

Looks like they only work wholesale and are not consumer oriented.  They don't list a replacement battery for our phone so it is probably special order in batches.  Unless it's one of the Samsung batteries, lol.  But I couldn't find any leads.

Guess we have to depend on F(x) Tec to get spare batteries, maybe after (if) operations become normal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
16 minutes ago, ermghoti said:

If there's anything of interest that isn't clear, let me know and I'll try to get a shot. I don't know how much more apart I get it without a lot of glue melting, and I need to be able to reassemble it to start the replacement process.

If it is not too late an single picture from less close by showing the entire opened part of the bottom half would be nice, same for the screen side and bottom of keyboard. Thanks very much for documenting this :). Surprisingly little damage visible from the water.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, ermghoti said:

Anyway, I tried to take photos of everything I managed to reveal. Take a look at the album, and if there's something you want to see, ask. I'm going to kludge it back together in a few hours and start the replacement process.

https://imgur.com/gallery/17bo7bI

Thanks a lot!

I'm disheartened to see that it seems to be a custom battery tailored for the Pro1!!  😱

Searching for GX5036108PLN with various spaces inserted does not seem to lead to anything relevant.
So this leaves us with no known alternative source if F(x)tec -for whatever reason- should stop ordering/offering them.

Though we now know where it was produced: "Dongguan Guoxia Electronic Technology Co. Ltd", that at the least is known with an address here

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, Hook said:

So looks like this is the battery source (the company, not the wholesale web site hosting the company's catalog. 

https://sunshinelec.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008825825782/Showroom/3000000213584/15428/Mobile-phone-battery.htm

Looks like they only work wholesale and are not consumer oriented.  They don't list a replacement battery for our phone so it is probably special order in batches.  Unless it's one of the Samsung batteries, lol.  But I couldn't find any leads.

Guess we have to depend on F(x) Tec to get spare batteries, maybe after (if) operations become normal.

It seems to be a different battery company you linked. Not the same address and googling I see no relation between "Sunshine" and "Guoxia", and they claim it to be established in 2013 not 2018.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, netman said:

If it is not too late an single picture from less close by showing the entire opened part of the bottom half would be nice, same for the screen side and bottom of keyboard. Thanks very much for documenting this :). Surprisingly little damage visible from the water.

I'll do it when I get home. I did not un-glue the keyboard though, and based on how the rest of it went, I wouldn't feel good about trying it.

• Like 1
Just now, ermghoti said:

I'll do it when I get home. I did not un-glue the keyboard though, and based on how the rest of it went, I wouldn't feel good about trying it.

When i wrote that I didn't realize the keyboard is where all the things are attached to. No need to further disassemble for the sake of photos, I hope you get a working one again soon :).

10 hours ago, netman said:

Thanks to your comment I've finally decided to publish my teardown guide I've been working on for some time 🙂 https://gelraen.github.io/fxtec-pro1-teardown/ (forum topic)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Nice. I had trouble with the same screw, and I figured out the card tray issue just in time. I had little trouble prying, as I simply sharpened a guitar pick. You can readily wedge in the thin part you create, then rotate it to the full thickness for prying.Available everywhere for under a dollar, I'd recommend a Tortex in at least 0.88 mm, Delrin might work, but won't flex as much. I had an Ultex on hand, which tore during the prying, but was good enough to get through it once.

The battery comes out easily at that point, the metal bars alongside it need removing, some wires need re-routing, and then there's a bit of tape on a supportive/protective circuit board material at the connector end.

2 hours ago, netman said:

When i wrote that I didn't realize the keyboard is where all the things are attached to. No need to further disassemble for the sake of photos, I hope you get a working one again soon 🙂.

There doesn't seem to be a lot going on under the keyboard, based on the F(x)tec breakdown .pdf, it's actually pretty featureless. The only thing of interest might be any markings.

• Like 2