The Pro1, coming from a N900: the good the bad and the WTF

As some of you might know, i'm a die-hard Nokia N900 user, and going from that to the Pro1 has been a culture shock. Android instead of Maemo, a radically different keyboard layout, the much faster sd835 CPU and so on.

But, there are things I miss, like:

• Being able to unlock the device without using the lockscreen, like pressing the power button twice
  • Not being able to unlock the device by touching the display after it autolocks
  • No proper Notes app like osso-notes on the N900
  • No sticky modifier keys like sticky Left Shift
  • Worst part of it all: NO ROCKBOX /s
  • Like 1
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have experienced those as well... , when we designed the internal I made USB board separately from main board. It's on a mini PCB so replacing it would be cheap as you don't need to change CPU, memo

Hi Have 8 Nokia E7 all working. the usb ports were killing it. but then i found a solution, i bought magnetic usb adaptors and glue them to usb port. since then never had any issue with usb

(Just for comparison, this is how it looks with the default launcher) Edit: Added a few extra icons making the two blocks clearer

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Double tap activates the camera instead of unlocking the device.

Double tap can usually have it's settings changed but i've not had stock android in a phone but on most there is a lock screen section.

5 minutes ago, abielins said:

I didn't think any N900 devices were even still in use. The USB port issue killed the two I own.

On my N900 phones USB port still work well. However, 32GB eMMC flash have worn out (unreachable).

I have two of them running well (however a bit slower) where rootfs is on internal 256MB storage and the rest is on microSD cards, another one of them (which was my original one) could be repaired the same way but I wanted to reach user data without success, and the last one has working eMMC but hardware became unstable before I switched to another phone.

I got one of my N900s with eMMC fault and after I could "repair" it, I have bought another faulty N900 as spare as it was cheap in that state (also with eMMC fault)...

16 minutes ago, abielins said:

I didn't think any N900 devices were even still in use. The USB port issue killed the two I own.

Hi Have 8 Nokia E7 all working.

the usb ports were killing it.

but then i found a solution, i bought magnetic usb adaptors and glue them to usb port. since then never had any issue with usb ports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Double tap activates the camera instead of unlocking the device.

There is a "tap to wake" setting, under Display, that is Off by default. It works fine if you turn it on here.... 😉

How you set it to wake the camera I do not know.

• Like 2

I also would like closing the slider to turning off the screen (like power button). But please as an option, as not all might like that.

Then we can select the lock-delay under Security, The cogwheel next to Screen Lock, Automatic lock, e.g. 5 sec, that should be more than enough to press the power button, double tap or reopen, before the password protection kicks in.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Being able to unlock the device without using the lockscreen, like pressing the power button twice

You can disable lock screen and use the phone without pin or pattern code. Then you are able to "unlock" with just pressing the power button. If you want to use lock screen you should be able to unlock with fingerprint sensor only. No need to press buttons.

Not being able to unlock the device by touching the display after it autolocks

Some Android phones have double tap to unlock feature but it seems that it is missing from Pro1? Maybe it can be implemented with custom kernel?

Edit: This feature is also supported on Pro1 🙂

Worst part of it all: NO ROCKBOX /s

If you can do little bit coding maybe it is possible to compile Android port. It used to work couple years ago.

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/AndroidPort

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

Some Android phones have double tap to unlock feature but it seems that it is missing from Pro1? Maybe it can be implemented with custom kernel?

It is a setting somewhere. Double tap to wake works fine on my retail unit...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, kashif said:

ive been using a gesture app that allow to set double tap to unlock phone

That kind of app doesn't work "right" if the device doesn't support double tab feature on kernel level. Most likely they are using proximity sensor or displaying just black screen actively.

• Confused 1
8 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

That kind of app doesn't work "right" if the device doesn't support double tab feature on kernel level. Most likely they are using proximity sensor or displaying just black screen actively.

Well if you bothered reading some of the post above you would know that it does support it....

• Like 1

No sticky modifier keys like sticky Left Shift

The only modifier that sticks is the left shift?   The other shift and ctrl keys don't stick?   What about the funky arrow one has to use with numbers instead of shift (by design for some reason), does that stick?

• Like 1