LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

6 hours ago, Noob said:

I had to give up un-Googling the stock firmware as I couldn't remove GMS without the phone locking up on boot, so I gave this a spin.  Thank you for your efforts on this, and for the detailed explanations as you go :)

If you really want an un-Googled version of stock, I can build that since I do have access to the sources. But personally, I highly recommend Lineage instead. It has some nice features that stock does not.

6 hours ago, Noob said:

I put the SIM in and phone calls don't sem to work, either incoming and outgoing (SMS works though).  Not sure if this is expected at this stage or if I should file a bug report.  Another weird issue; when I changed the pattern lock to 5x5 grid, the lock screen grid was still 3x3 so I couldn't unlock it.  It fixed itself on reboot though.  A few questions:

You should file an issue for calls on my github. You can file the lock pattern issue with Lineage, as I dont have anything to do with that.

6 hours ago, Noob said:

- at this stage with no suitable TWRP I couldn't install the lineage su extra.  Can this be built into the ROM?

Lineage recovery should be able to flash the su package. If not, please let me know. I could build su into the ROM, but that would upset others.

6 hours ago, Noob said:

- how do you rate the difficulty in developing LineageOS on this device compared to other manufacturers?  I don't know what support they're offering beyond hardware, I assume source as well or are you still working with closed binaries?

FxTec has been very engaged and helpful with development. I appreciate that a great deal. On the technical side, the smaller OEMs (up to the size of, say, OnePlus) stick very close to the QCOM reference design so they are easier to deal with than devices from the big OEMs like Samsung etc.

As for sources, I have access to most of the OEM BSP. But even the OEM gets several hundred closed source prebuilt binaries.

• Thanks 12
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

3 hours ago, tdm said:

FxTec has been very engaged and helpful with development. I appreciate that a great deal. On the technical side, the smaller OEMs (up to the size of, say, OnePlus) stick very close to the QCOM reference design so they are easier to deal with than devices from the big OEMs like Samsung etc.

As for sources, I have access to most of the OEM BSP. But even the OEM gets several hundred closed source prebuilt binaries.

As I always say, THANKS to tdm for all his dedication and efforts.  Again, very much appreciated!

Additionally, here we have yet another reason to stop whining and complaining about F(x)tec, and, instead, be grateful they are supporting us as they are with other ROMs!  Thank you F(x)tec from a customer who will only use the phone with a custom ROM! 👍👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, tdm said:

If you really want an un-Googled version of stock, I can build that since I do have access to the sources.

Well now I am curious. If it's OK I would like to bombard you with questions:

Are you allowed to share (part of) the sources? I'd guess you are allowed to share something, since you openly develop the LOS port, but is there more you can share or are you only allowed to use the knowledge from the sources to make the port work?

I will probably use your LOS port as a basis for my phone (once I get it), but I am still somewhat interested in a "stock-like" build for mainly two reasons:

For one, there might be features in stock (maybe also added later) which are unsuitable or not legal to port to LOS. Right now I am thinking about the Launcher and the "switch to landscape on keyboard slide-out" feature. I'd guess the landscape switch could be upstreamed into LOS, but do you plan on adapting Trebuchet for the pro1 somehow? If so, do you think upstream LOS will take such a modification? I guess that I could also take the launcher APK from stock and just dump it into my LOS build, but building from source would be nicer ;)

The other reason would simply be to have a "backup" in case LOS gets unavailable for some reason. It seems very unlikely, but if LOS discontinues the pro1 port or it moves into a direction unsuitable for me it would be nice to be able to build upon the (hopefully still updated) stock Android.

Though I suppose getting access to the sources once wouldn't help that much, fxtec would also need to publish all updates (I don't think I can manage backporting security fixes). But still, I am curious as to how far I could get :)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, tdm said:

If you really want an un-Googled version of stock, I can build that since I do have access to the sources. But personally, I highly recommend Lineage instead. It has some nice features that stock does not.

This is exactly why I would LOVE a de-Googled stock ROM, and while you're at it take out AdUp so it doesn't overwrite a Googled ROM over the top. PLEASE do this! However, are you prepared to rebuild it every time they update, at least when there's major corrections involved, like the HDMI driver? If so, I would DEFINITELY use it. The only things I preferred about Lineage were customizations I don't necessarily have to have, and being able to have the stock drivers on board would be valuable to me.

15 hours ago, tdm said:

Really?  That would be pretty cool.  Yes I've definitely appreciated some of the cool features on my LOS 14.1 Droid 4, and they look even better on the Pro1 (privacy guard, ADB over network, extended reboot menu, 5x5 pattern grid, night mode, and the new transfer speed status bar indicator is a nice touch), but running on nightlies has been a bumpy ride over the years; somewhere along the line ADB over USB stopped working, WiFi and Bluetooth can no longer co-exist, the phone reboots when I get incoming calls from contacts with custom ringtones, etc.  It was a tremendous volunteer effort that extended the life of my phone by about 5 years (and about as many Android versions) and I'm grateful for it, but I really want my Pro1 to be more stable and I thought staying stock would be a way to do that, even if I had to give up on the nice features.

Though as @silversolver pointed out there's the question of what to do when updates come along, especially if the FOTA function is removed.  Is it practically impossible to remove GMS after the ROM is built, or did I just mess it up?

15 hours ago, tdm said:

You should file an issue for calls on my github. You can file the lock pattern issue with Lineage, as I dont have anything to do with that.

Done 👍 I also raised an issue for the keyboard backlight.

15 hours ago, tdm said:

Lineage recovery should be able to flash the su package. If not, please let me know. I could build su into the ROM, but that would upset others.

You're right, that worked and was painless.  Thank you, if it's that simple no need to bake it in. 

Is it my imagination, or did older versions of LOS enable root if you pressed the LineageOS version a few times, similar to how "Developer Mode" is enabled?

15 hours ago, tdm said:

Good to know.  If the hardware and software are close to reference and the manufacturer is supportive, I'm hoping that translates into a more stable ROM and I might just stick with it.  Though I am wary of my update path again being on the shoulders of a single individual who has to balance maintaining it with other priorities (though maybe I'm misunderstanding how much of the ROM is custom for this phone, and how much is the wider LOS software that everyone works on).

• Like 1
14 hours ago, silversolver said:

This is exactly why I would LOVE a de-Googled stock ROM, and while you're at it take out AdUp so it doesn't overwrite a Googled ROM over the top. PLEASE do this! However, are you prepared to rebuild it every time they update, at least when there's major corrections involved, like the HDMI driver? If so, I would DEFINITELY use it. The only things I preferred about Lineage were customizations I don't necessarily have to have, and being able to have the stock drivers on board would be valuable to me.

This would be cool, but I really like the LOS goodies, my favorite of which is root on/off.  So maybe a custom TWRP that would provide for a dual boot option.  You could have both: stock sans GcrApps and also LOS, the best of both worlds! 😀👍

Edited by Polaris
22 hours ago, tdm said:

But personally, I highly recommend Lineage instead. It has some nice features that stock does not.

What are some of the key features LOS has that stock does not that you like? 

I've been running Cyanogenmod (KitKat equivalent) on my Relay 4G for years, so I'm not up on specific additional features in LOS and how those differ from modern Android versions.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, david said:

What are some of the key features LOS has that stock does not that you like? 

I've been running Cyanogenmod (KitKat equivalent) on my Relay 4G for years, so I'm not up on specific additional features in LOS and how those differ from modern Android versions.

My favorite is long hold the back button to kill the foreground app. That is a feature from CM days.

2 hours ago, silversolver said:

My favorite is long hold the back button to kill the foreground app. That is a feature from CM days.

That doesn't appear to work on my version of Cyanogenmod on my Relay 4G.

It's a setting.  CM/LOS opens up lots of settings that are often not included in stock rom.   For example mobile hotspot and other tethering options.

Check developer options, etc, somewhere in settings.  I'm too lazy to find it for you but I recall seeing it (although don't use it myself - kinda defeats the way android is supposed to work).

Unrelated, I don't see a reason why we couldn't use the fxtec launcher with LOS.   But I don't fully understand the way lollipop apps install and not sure if you can just copy apk's anymore (related to kitkat and earlier keeping the apk as is and compiling at runtime, compared to lollipop and newer compiling during install...)

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, Craig said:

It's a setting.  CM/LOS opens up lots of settings that are often not included in stock rom.   For example mobile hotspot and other tethering options.

Check developer options, etc, somewhere in settings.  I'm too lazy to find it for you but I recall seeing it (although don't use it myself - kinda defeats the way android is supposed to work).

Unrelated, I don't see a reason why we couldn't use the fxtec launcher with LOS.   But I don't fully understand the way lollipop apps install and not sure if you can just copy apk's anymore (related to kitkat and earlier keeping the apk as is and compiling at runtime, compared to lollipop and newer compiling during install...)

The way Android is supposed to work....yeah, like Windoze with superfetch where it crams the RAM with junk you MIGHT need in case you do. LOL. I despise that "feature" in both environments. At any rate, long press back to kill foreground app is generally not something I use to circumvent preloading and backgrounding (although it'd be untruthful to say I never have) but more commonly something I use to clear a stuck app. It's quite useful in that regard.

I don't recall having too many stuck apps under Android (although granted I use fairly basic stuff and dont play modern games) but if I did, I'd just swipe it away from the active applist...

But I'm being argumentative for no reason, cuz I think that's a great feature of LOS, even if I don't use it, that's the awesome thing about LOS is it has every Android feature ever is available.  Including features often not common until the next Android version.   You won't see something else someone has on their device and be like "I wish I could do that on mine", it'll be the opposite, people will ask you how you set your stuff that way.  (And in my experience, my answer was "I didnt even know that was special, its in my settings menu" - as I started with CM from day one of smartphone usage, and didn't even try a stock rom until last year... i.e. how'd you get a battery percentage in your status bar - simple stuff like that, but it just makes LOS overall better than every other stock rom, cuz if there's something really good in stock roms, they'll figure out how to incroproate it into LOS - for everyone/device, if there's crap in stock roms, they won't include it, etc).

Edited by Craig
stuck! whole new meaning
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, silversolver said:

like Windoze with superfetch where it crams the RAM with junk you MIGHT need in case you do

100% exactly!  The theory sounds good tho, for both.    In practice, I dunno, but I'm no expert in that area, but the theory does sound good.

Note I've probably used windows less than 7 days this year, including one the time I used someones computer to check email.

I hope LAN (not WLAN/Wifi) will work as well with the pro1.

Normally the driver for the USB-ethernet-adapter with the chipset "Asix AX88772B" is included in the Lineage-kernel.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00DRZX0SO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Samsung S5 runs out of the box with this adapter and cyanogenmod. But with my droid4 xt894 (LOS 14.1) I need a script running as root for starting the device and for getting an ip-address

#!/bin/sh

ifconfig usbeth0 up

dhcptool usbeth0

ndc resolver setnetdns usbeth0 "" 192.168.1.1

It would be very smart if the USB-ethernet-adapter would run out of the box just like on the Samsung S5

61HsdMHTfuL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

hello, can you post commands to build and install lineageos on the pro1?

another question, are there any binaries that come into the build and will not have sources, if so, which directory exactly?

is there any place listing what works and what doesnt on the los build?

will order one after i get these cleared up

thanks!

2 hours ago, rbe said:

another question, are there any binaries that come into the build and will not have sources, if so, which directory exactly?

thanks!

I can't give you exact commands to build and install it, but I can link you to the sources and the issue tracker:

These are the two repos from @tdm:

https://github.com/tdm/android_device_fxtec_pro1

https://github.com/tdm/android_kernel_idealte_msm8998

I think the issue tracker meant to be used for general issues his here: https://github.com/tdm/android_device_fxtec_pro1/issues

Keep in mind though that not every issue reported may also be confirmed ;)

@rbe please read my page and you will find the repos.  @Gigadoc2 mentioned two of them, but there are two more.  The binaries that come as blobs will be obvious if you are at all familiar with building Android.  And if you are not, well, you have a bit of a learning curve ahead of you.  🙂

I've been pretty quiet this week so I figured I'd give everyone an update on what's going on.

We had the cold virus come through our house this week. I had to stay home to take care of the wife and kids on Tue, then I was sick on Wed.

I was working on my EDL flash tool Thu and Fri.  It works well on Linux but I'm having some issues on Windows and MacOS.  Hope to get it working next week.  I'm attaching a screen shot with the latest pro1 package loaded and ready to flash.

Next week, I hope to get the flash tool wrapped up and start working on the Lineage build again.  I have a pro1 with a real valid IMEI now, so I can work on radio issues also.

qfpkg.png

• Thanks 14
5 minutes ago, tdm said:

We had the cold virus come through our house this week. I had to stay home to take care of the wife and kids on Tue, then I was sick on Wed.

I was working on my EDL flash tool Thu and Fri.  It works well on Linux but I'm having some issues on Windows and MacOS.  Hope to get it working next week.  I'm attaching a screen shot with the latest pro1 package loaded and ready to flash.

Next week, I hope to get the flash tool wrapped up and start working on the Lineage build again.  I have a pro1 with a real valid IMEI now, so I can work on radio issues also.

I hope everyone in your house is felling better and can enjoy some of the weekend.

The flash tool looks great!

The real IMEI, and being able to address radio issues, is a huge leap forward!!  This is fantastic news!

As always, but it can't be repeated enough, thanks for all you are doing!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, tdm said:

e had the cold virus come through our house this week. I had to stay home to take care of the wife and kids on Tue, then I was sick on Wed.

I had wondered why I didn't see anything from you, but figured you were busy with reallife...guess I wasn't too far off. Hope you and your family are feeling better and that nobody starts a 'second wave'!

Nice to hear that you now have a proper FxTec device 🙂 .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 12/13/2019 at 4:57 AM, rbe said:

thanks!

According to one poster, LOS doesn't work to place calls in Australia, nor does the stock  firmware as originally released. An OTA update resolved the issue on the stock firmware.

59 minutes ago, silversolver said:

If I could bring one more thing to your attention, the Pro1 will need a codename. My Droid 4 is Maserati. Pro1 should be "Clack" since that's what half of us call it anyway. 🙂

It's called QX1000