LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

This behavior is the same on the stock build, and was raised to the CEO when I had the chance to get a hand on a prototype last year. I will try to bring this to attention again, but it's not a lineageOS specific thing as of now.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Derecho said:

First of all, thanks for working on LineageOS support for this phone.

I've obtained the phone yesterday and I put your test build 2 of LOS on it and I've been playing around with it since. I noticed the WiFi symbol issue, but it doesn't seem to affect anything so that's nothing really. I did also notice the problem wih the / key, especially when typing URLs, which was a little problematic. When I then noticed that Esc and other modifier keys weren't working well on ConnectBot, I got FinQwerty's keyboards installed and I'm now using a US International one, this solves most of those issues.

One thing remains with the keyboard though, regardless of whether I'm using stock keyboard mappings or FinQwerty's, and that is that I can't type special characters from the locale I set the keyboard to. From my Photon Q and previous keyboard phones I'm used that if I long press for example an l, I see a menu popup with characters similar to it that I can then tap to insert, like the ł symbol. I normally use this to be able to somewhat comfortably type Polish on such a hardware keyboard. However, when on this build (not sure about stock Android, hadn't tried really) I long press a key, it just repeats itself endlessly. Is there any way to configure this behaviour? Is a modification to the OS required?

I haven't really investigated keyboard things yet. I've been busy getting the vendor image working in order to fix a2dp. But I know that idealte put the keyboard config files in system instead of vendor, which is why its broken. I'll put them in my lineage vendor once it's working. As for other locales, I haven't tried at all yet.

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, tdm said:

If the hardware fails to the point that you cannot decrypt using the Android scheme, how do you expect to extract unencrypted data?

Hardly, but in the event it would be necessary, maybe by removing flash chip and to read it elsewhere.
However, it is a very complicated process potentially being a BGA component or at least it needs special equipment to do it.

6 hours ago, tdm said:

And don't say backups, because backups can be made in both cases (TWRP will happily decrypt and backup).

If TWRP will be able to decrypt data before backup, that makes everything far much better.
I hope for a fully working TWRP soon.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, tdm said:

I haven't really investigated keyboard things yet. I've been busy getting the vendor image working in order to fix a2dp. But I know that idealte put the keyboard config files in system instead of vendor, which is why its broken. I'll put them in my lineage vendor once it's working. As for other locales, I haven't tried at all yet.

Alright, thank you for the clarification. I'll be looking forward to your next testbuild, I've seen several fixes mentioned that you plan to incorporate into it.

For now, I've forked the FinQwerty project and added a Polish keyboard layout so I can type the required characters without relying on the missing special character popup from Android. This solves my usecase and may actually even be more convenient. If anyone's interested and capable of building Android packages, the required changes are here: https://github.com/anssih/finqwerty/pull/9 .

11 hours ago, Derecho said:

Alright, thank you for the clarification. I'll be looking forward to your next testbuild, I've seen several fixes mentioned that you plan to incorporate into it.

For now, I've forked the FinQwerty project and added a Polish keyboard layout so I can type the required characters without relying on the missing special character popup from Android. This solves my usecase and may actually even be more convenient. If anyone's interested and capable of building Android packages, the required changes are here: https://github.com/anssih/finqwerty/pull/9 .

@Anssi Hannula is a wonderful person and a very good developer. I wouldn't be surprised if your changes end up getting un-forked and put in the main tree. FinQwerty has changed from a small project to support Finnish entry to a big deal to fix every possible keyboard issue for every user in the world, and it's rapidly doing it. I tell ya.....if the whole world were Finland, the world would be a kinder, smarter place!

• Like 6

Like everyone here, thanks to @tdm very much for working on Linage for our phones.  I used to use it on my Photon Q for years and missed it when I went to the Z for the keyboard mod. 

I am having a problem with being able to make phone calls.  I can receive them fine and can also send/receive SMS/MMS.  I'm on Verizon in the US, and since this phone apparently doesn't support CDMA, VoLTE must be used.

I couldn't get it to work at all until I reflashed the stock build and turned on the Voice over LTE switch under the test screen (*#*#4636#*#*).  Then I flashed Linage test2 again and it worked much better!  The switches are grayed out on the Lineage build.

I can use a SIP account for outbound calls so I'm still going to keep using Lineage.  If I can help get the outbound calls to work I'd be happy to do whatever I can.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bmccrary said:

I'm on Verizon in the US, and since this phone apparently doesn't support CDMA, VoLTE must be used.

It's not the Pro1 that doesn't support CDMA, it's that Verizon won't allow the phone on it's network.  Sure you can (sort of) fool Verizon by using a SIM provisioned for VoLTE from another phone, but the problem is Verizon not the Pro1 (which supports both the BC0 and BC1 CDMA bands).

23 hours ago, Polaris said:

It's not the Pro1 that doesn't support CDMA, it's that Verizon won't allow the phone on it's network.  Sure you can (sort of) fool Verizon by using a SIM provisioned for VoLTE from another phone, but the problem is Verizon not the Pro1 (which supports both the BC0 and BC1 CDMA bands).

I apologize for stating incorrectly the phone does not support CDMA.  For the topic of this discussion however, the main point is everything works on the stock ROM, but I can't make outbound calls on the Linage ROM.

Progress!  After waaaaaaaay too long, I've finally fixed the wlan subsystem restart.  Turns out the open source power HAL isn't working properly.  The vendor power HAL works.  So I'll use the vendor one for now and continue on with all the other stuff.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Okay it looks like Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS, and Fingerprint work.

Still need to test/fix cell radio, on-device audio, and NFC.

Note the WiFi signal strength indicator is still broken.  That's going to be toward the end of the to-do list.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

On-device audio and nfc now work.  I'm out of time for the day, so I'll try to get this wrapped up tomorrow.

Remaining "big" items blocking test3:

- test/fix cell radio (should be working or require minor tweaks).

- fix front camera (it's not recognized, probably a missing file).

- fix notification light.

- fix FM radio.

- figure out why the fingerprint sensor loses its data at reboot (at least for me).

- add keyboard layout file.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8
5 minutes ago, tdm said:

- figure out why the fingerprint sensor loses its data at reboot (at least for me).

This issue also exists for me in stock firmware.

So if you figure it out, it may also help F(x)tec to solve this issue in stock firmware (or other way around, I don't know if next OTA will fix it or not).

• Like 2
14 hours ago, bmccrary said:

I apologize for stating incorrectly the phone does not support CDMA.  For the topic of this discussion however, the main point is everything works on the stock ROM, but I can't make outbound calls on the Linage ROM.

Nothing to apologize for, I was just making sure that the blame (so to speak) gets assigned to the right place.  However, as to your main point, that is a serious one!  So you are saying that with Verizon you can't place/receive any voice calls on Verizon when using Lineage because the VoLTE feature isn't working in Lineage.  However, you were able to place/receive voice calls with the stock ROM.  Please verify that I have this right as it is indeed important.

5 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Nothing to apologize for, I was just making sure that the blame (so to speak) gets assigned to the right place.  However, as to your main point, that is a serious one!  So you are saying that with Verizon you can't place/receive any voice calls on Verizon when using Lineage because the VoLTE feature isn't working in Lineage.  However, you were able to place/receive voice calls with the stock ROM.  Please verify that I have this right as it is indeed important.

I understand and appreciate that.  I'm still learning about the phone as I've only had it this week.  On the Lineage ROM, I can't make any calls out, but I can on the stock ROM.  On both ROMs, I can receive calls fine.  The HD symbol appears on the screen when I have a call up on the Linage ROM, FWIW.  I forget if the stock ROM also displayed the HD symbol.  The phone is setup for "LTE only", so I assume it has to be using VoLTE.  Whenever I try to make a call out with the LIneage ROM it just immediately disconnects.  So I'm not sure if VoLTE has something to do with it or not, just suspected it did.

Fortunately since incoming calls work, I am able to get by using a SIP account I made for outbound calls that has my phone number on it (I work for a phone co or this probably wouldn't be possible), but still can't check voicemail or stuff like that.

@bmccrary Interesting about receiving calls, but not able to place them.  Have you gone into the INFO menu (via the phone dialer) and flipped the VoLTE switch on?  You are correct in suspecting that VoLTE has something to do with it because with Verizon you won't have any other choice.  Also, how about data (forgive me if you already mentioned this), does sending/receiving work well?

5 hours ago, Polaris said:

@bmccrary Interesting about receiving calls, but not able to place them.  Have you gone into the INFO menu (via the phone dialer) and flipped the VoLTE switch on?  You are correct in suspecting that VoLTE has something to do with it because with Verizon you won't have any other choice.  Also, how about data (forgive me if you already mentioned this), does sending/receiving work well?

I tried to flip the switch on the Lineage ROM but it was grayed out in the off position.  After reflashing stock, I could flip the switch on and the stock ROM worked fine.  Flashing Lineage after that, the switch is still grayed out and unflippable but it is now stuck in the on position.  Receiving calls on the Lineage ROM started working with the grayed out switch now turned on though.  Data and everything else works fine.

Got it thanks, I'm going to look into it and see if anyone I know understands what is happening (I sure don't).  I have had numerous phones where the VoLTE switch is grayed out in the off position but it still places and receives VoLTE calls so that alone shouldn't be the issue.

• Thanks 1

I think I'm now back where the original test2 build was:

- Cell radio works same as before (still can't make voice calls).

- Notification light works.  I still need to review and cleanup the code though.

- Front camera works (I was missing some camera libs).

Additionally:

- I've added the keyboard layout file to the vendor partition and that seems to work.

I'll try to fix the FM radio and the fingerprint issue today.  Both of those may be more involved.  In any case, I'll have a test3 tomorrow at the latest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@Polaris Thanks for all of your help looking into this!  I did check the issue tracker but was thinking my issue was different than the one I saw on there.  Sounds like we'll have an awesome Lineage ROM soon!  Thanks to @tdm for doing a lot of work and the test builds!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, tdm said:

Sorry I don't actually know what's going on with Verizon or VoLTE. I use AT&T and old fashioned GSM voice. But after things are stable in a few days, I can start investigating VoLTE.

Hey @tdlnxhow far along is the ROM? Is it cause for a daily driver or should we wait until it gets more stable.