LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

@D1ggs

People who've used the previous test build have all reported it's pretty stable, certainly as stable as stock, it's just lacking some features and has some rough edges, but some people have already chosen to use it as daily driver.  If I were you, I'd wait a few days to see how people react to the test version he's about to release, usually any big problems are noticed right away if enough people test, anyway.  Or you could help test yourself if you don't demand stability.   Or just play it safe until they make it 'official' which is when they (the devs) think they've ported all features/support all hardware, etc.

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, D1ggs said:

Hey @tdlnxhow far along is the ROM? Is it cause for a daily driver or should we wait until it gets more stable.

That will be up to you to decide. If you are hesitant, wait for a few days after I release test3 tomorrow and see what others say. But I believe it will be mostly on par with stock except for the FM radio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
2 hours ago, tdm said:

That will be up to you to decide. If you are hesitant, wait for a few days after I release test3 tomorrow and see what others say. But I believe it will be mostly on par with stock except for the FM radio.

Thanks looking forward to it. 

10 hours ago, tdm said:

Thats good to hear, I was presuming an install and wipe as it's a test build. Might try setting up most things I use on it then see what happens 🙂

Edited by _DW_
2 hours ago, Gigadoc2 said:

@tdm: Is the switch from test2 to test3 requiring a wipe because of switching from stock vendor to lineage vendor? I am asking because I've built from your repositories already and for me it does, but I could be doing something wrong.

I have not tested this, but it is plausible.

1 hour ago, tdm said:

test3 is up on my server.  I haven't fixed FM radio or the fingerprint reboot issue yet, but I'm tossing this out because it's been way too long since any updates.

THANKS!!   Does this include netman's kernel fixes (keyboard chording/etc), and mccrearys work on keyboard and slider stuff?

Edited by Craig

Found the issue with the fingerprint reader. The hardware and Android keep separate lists of registered fingerprints. When you wipe data, Android list is cleared but the hardware list is not. Eventually the hardware has all 5 slots filled and won't accept any more. So the new data only exists in memory and fails to write to persistent storage.

I'll investigate more to see how this is supposed to work, and I should have a fix soon. In the meantime you can delete the fingerprint files under /persist to fix it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
9 minutes ago, Gigadoc2 said:

Why is that stored in persist in the first place? Has it something to do with the FDE of stock? Though you'd always unlock before using Fingerprint anyway?

No way to tell. The fingerprint files are just tossed into the bsp as binaries. So only BetterLife (the fingerprint vendor) knows for sure.

Edit: yeah for FDE, data is decrypted long before the FP service starts.

Edited by tdm

@tdm Hey bud, I noticed you have a typo in your lineage os instructions on your site.

The command fastboot flash boot_a lineage-16.0-pro1-test2-boot.img

Shouldn't have the _ and should look like: fastboot flash boot lineage-16.0-pro1-test2-boot.img

I'm embarrassed to admit it took me way too long to figure out what the heck was going on. Maybe your version is different, but if someone else has this issue, this is what I did and it worked. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, D1ggs said:

@tdm Hey bud, I noticed you have a typo in your lineage os instructions on your site.

The command fastboot flash boot_a lineage-16.0-pro1-test2-boot.img

Shouldn't have the _ and should look like: fastboot flash boot lineage-16.0-pro1-test2-boot.img

I'm embarrassed to admit it took me way too long to figure out what the heck was going on. Maybe your version is different, but if someone else has this issue, this is what I did and it worked. 

Actually boot_a works and I use it to be explicit. But test2 should be test3.

Edited by tdm
9 minutes ago, tdm said:

Actually boot_a works and I use it to be explicit. But test2 should be test3.

Weird, my version of adb and fastboot was insistent that it wasn't working. I kept getting this error: fastboot: error: cannot determine image filename for ..

Either way, i'm glad to have it working.

Edited by D1ggs

Is there anything specific to be done to update?  I've tried several times but can't get it to boot.  The Lineage recovery is saying the OS can't start and to do a factory reset but I have several hundred apps and GB of data already on the phone and would prefer not to if I can somehow get it to work.  Reflashing test2 won't boot either at this point.  The adb sideload completes without any problem.

2 minutes ago, bmccrary said:

Is there anything specific to be done to update?  I've tried several times but can't get it to boot.  The Lineage recovery is saying the OS can't start and to do a factory reset but I have several hundred apps and GB of data already on the phone and would prefer not to if I can somehow get it to work.  Reflashing test2 won't boot either at this point.  The adb sideload completes without any problem.

No, that is strange.  This usually happens when data fails to mount/decrypt.  Had you previously been running test2?

Full disclosure: I didn't test this exact zip, I flashed one that I built on another machine.  But it should be the same exact code.  I can try this one later tonight or tomorrow if others also have problems.

3 minutes ago, tdm said:

No, that is strange.  This usually happens when data fails to mount/decrypt.  Had you previously been running test2?

Full disclosure: I didn't test this exact zip, I flashed one that I built on another machine.  But it should be the same exact code.  I can try this one later tonight or tomorrow if others also have problems.

Yes, I had been running test2 before.  I repeated the steps to install the test2 build but I didn't reset anything.   I can try that but was just hoping to not have to.  I understand what you're saying though if it can't access the main decryption key my PIN would then use to decrypt the /data partition.

@tdm Wiping data allowed me to boot ok.  I reflashed test3 and it would boot but the boot animation would just run on forever.  I had problems with the first flash for some reason, at least I think that was my initial problem as I never could get /system to mount using the menu in the recovery, or was able to mount it in the recovery adb shell.

• Thanks 1

I suspect something with the built vendor image is different than the stock vendor image.  @Gigadoc2 mentioned a few posts back that he had to wipe after the switch, and I guess we now have two people that have confirmed it.

I'm sorry for that, wiping data is usually not necessary -- even in the test stage.  It should not be necessary again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1