LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

7 hours ago, Polaris said:

No current TWRP version that can do much of anything, let alone decrypt.

That sounds completely the opposite of reality.  TWRP seems to be able to do everything EXCEPT decrypt.  It can backup, restore, flash, wipe, transfer by mtp, etc, everything I've tried in it works except decryption.... what else do you think is broken besides decryption?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Craig said:

That sounds completely the opposite of reality.  TWRP seems to be able to do everything EXCEPT decrypt.  It can backup, restore, flash, wipe, transfer by mtp, etc, everything I've tried in it works except decryption.... what else do you think is broken besides decryption?

How does it backup without being able to decrypt?

26 minutes ago, david said:

How does it backup without being able to decrypt?

I'm dragging this thread off topic.  It has to already be decrypted for it to backup.  For example it can be used to backup sailfishos. Then, for example,one could use fastboot to flash android,then when done, flash twrp, wipe, and restore sfos backup, exactly the way it was before.  

Edited by Craig
13 minutes ago, Craig said:

I'm dragging this thread off topic.  It has to already be decrypted for it to backup.  For example it can be used to backup sailfishos. Then, for example,one could use fastboot to flash android,then when done, flash twrp, wipe, and restore sfos backup, exactly the way it was before.  

Okay, so for Android/LineageOS purposes, it can't backup anything, since android is set to encrypt the files, and twrp can't decrypt that yet.  

Edited by david
3 minutes ago, Craig said:

Right, but the only thing that appears to be not working is decryption.  Everything else seems to work already.  That was the point. 

Good to know.  Thanks for pointing it out.

8 hours ago, VaZso said:

Usually when I am working at a PC keyboard, I am not even look at the keyboard itself.

The phone is a bit different story as it is much smaller and not something which I use the whole day but when a PC is not available.
...and I feel Pro1's QWERTZ keyboard is comfortable especially because it has the same layout as a PC.

Yep, just as I figured.  Yes, I too think that it's comfortable as long as you don't mind focusing on the keys while typing!

2 hours ago, Craig said:

Oops, sorry, I meant to imply it wasn't of much use with LineageOS.  Your point is accurate and I should have just said that the statement was forward looking.  I'll edit the post to reflect the correction. 😄

Okay all you qwertz folks, here's a Lineage boot image with my new keyboard driver: files.nwwn.com/android/pro1/boot-newkeyboard.img

To use it, flash it to your boot partition, "fastboot flash boot boot-newkeyboard.img".  Upon reboot the keyboard will have version 0002 which will make Android ignore the custom keymap file in the vendor partition.  You will find the following files:

/sys/devices/soc/c17a000.i2c/i2c-6/6-0058/layout

This is the layout file.  It can contain "qwerty" or "qwertz".  So start by setting it to qwertz:

echo "qwertz" > /sys/devices/soc/c17a000.i2c/i2c-6/6-0058/layout

This will load the qwertz keymap into memory.  Now go to the keyboard settings and set either "US English international" or "German" or whatever you like based on the international keyboard.

/sys/devices/soc/c17a000.i2c/i2c-6/6-0058/keymap

This is the keymap file.  It contains the mapping for each of the 64 physical keys in the form:

keynum:keycode:fn_keycode

Where:

keynum is the physical key number in decimal.

keycode is the Linux keycode in hex (see include/uapi/linux/input-event-codes.h in the kernel).

fn_keycode is the Linux keycode in hex when fn (yellow arrow is pressed), plus modifiers.  Modifiers are logically OR'd:

0x8000: shift

0x4000: ctrl

0x2000: alt

For example "3:0008:8008" means key 3 ("7") generates keycode 8 (KEY_7) normally and shifted KEY_7 when fn is pressed.

You can edit individual keys.  So to make the 7 key generate an 8 instead, echo "3:0009:8009" > keymap.

Also I've left debugging in the driver for ease of editing the keymap.  To watch the messages, run:

cat /dev/kmsg | grep aw9523

You will see the keyboard messages in real-time.

This is obviously a security issue so it is only there until the keymap is finalized.

So... take a spin with the new driver and let me know how badly I messed it up.  🙂

If you want to make changes (and you probably will), get it working correctly and then send me your keymap file.  I'll update the driver and send out a new test for verification.

Edited by tdm
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
4 minutes ago, bmccrary said:

For us qwerty peeps, can we use the boot image too?  I'd be really happy just to have arrow keys that go in the right direction.

That will be fixed in the next build. But yes you can also play with the keymap.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, SteffenWi said:

I flashed the keyboard image but now the phone isn't starting anymore. Hangs at the fx logo. Do I need to factory reset again and sideload the  zip file again?

before wiping, you could try to flash the original boot image to both slots and then flash the lineage boot image again.
Not sure at all if it helps, but better than direct wiping. :)

few days ago my system also rebooted to fxtec logo and did not boot anymore. 

30 minutes ago, SteffenWi said:

I flashed the keyboard image but now the phone isn't starting anymore. Hangs at the fx logo. Do I need to factory reset again and sideload the  zip file again?

That is strange. No you should not need to reset or reflash to make it work.

And you are running lineage test 3? With no modifications like magisk?

3 minutes ago, tdm said:

That is strange. No you should not need to reset or reflash to make it work.

And you are running lineage test 3? With no modifications like magisk?

yeah. No modifications. I think I figured out my issue. I flashed the keyboard image to boot_a. Now I re-flashed everything and then flashed the keyboard image to boot_b and now at least it started now.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, mcdinner said:

With the keyboard boot.img I cannot get an adb shell and flashing magisk module had signature verification enabled.

I get an adb shell. But I'm having trouble obtaining root permission. I activated root via adb in the developer options but when I'm in the adb shell I don't have root permission?

@tdm are you building the lineageOS images without export WITH_SU=true?

Edited by SteffenWi
2 minutes ago, SteffenWi said:

I get an adb shell. But I'm having trouble obtaining root permission. I activated root via adb in the developer options but when I'm in the adb shell I don't have root permission?

I had to clarify, i was unable to get shell in recovery

6 minutes ago, SteffenWi said:

@tdm are you building the lineageOS images without export WITH_SU=true?

The developer option is permission to run adb in root mode.  It does not actually restart adb.  You must do that separately with "adb root".

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, mcdinner said:

I had to clarify, i was unable to get shell in recovery

Yes, Lineage recovery requires your host PC's adb key to be packaged into the boot image because it cannot decrypt /data.  If you really want a shell in recovery, I can explain how to do this, or build a new boot image with adb authentication disabled.

16 minutes ago, tdm said:

Yes, Lineage recovery requires your host PC's adb key to be packaged into the boot image because it cannot decrypt /data.  If you really want a shell in recovery, I can explain how to do this, or build a new boot image with adb authentication disabled.

If it is not too much trouble or you have a link it would be nice to know, don't really need it.
I tried to get boot log working a week ago but failed. When lineage boot animation started, adb told me I'm not authenticated. 
I edited build.prop on the device (via shell 😄) and added 

persist.service.adb.enable=1                                                    
persist.service.debuggable=1
persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb

Also added the public key from computer to adb_keys.
Did not work, guess it was completely wrong.

27 minutes ago, tdm said:

The developer option is permission to run adb in root mode.  It does not actually restart adb.  You must do that separately with "adb root".

ah tank you, yes that worked (adb root, then adb shell).

Things wrong with the default when you set qwertz, tested in nano:

• Cursor keys not working. Arrow down moves the cursor to the right, arrow up moves the cursor to the left. Arrow right moves the cursor up, arrow left moves it down.
  • ö outputs "M-CM-6", Ö outputs M-V^v
  • ä outputs "M-CM-6", Ä outputs M-V^v
  • < outputs ^, shift + < outputs "AM-BM-0" instead of >
  • ß outputs M-C^=
  • Caps lock doesn't do anything aside from turning on the light
  • Yellow keys aren't working either, the modifier key for that is just not respected either
  • shift+3 outputs "M-BM-'"
  • the ` key doesn't do anything.
  • keyboard key lighting doesn't come on.

When in an Android app, say Chrome, the following things are different:

• ö and ä both output ö, shift + ö or ä both output Ö
  • shift + < outputs °
  • ß works as expected
  • Caps lock works as expected
  • Shift+3 works and outputs §
  • the ` key works as expected. Both with and without shift.

Everything else works fine 🙂

Edited by SteffenWi