LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

On 2/12/2020 at 11:24 PM, david said:

I came from a Relay 4G (running Cyanogenmod 11 = KitKat) to the Pro1 as well.  I just rooted my phone this weekend and switched over fully, activating a new sim in too, etc.  I am thinking I did have to run something on there to deal with old SSL root certificate issues too, now that you mention it, but I don't remember the details of that.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from using LineageOS, but just replying regarding the features you listed.

- Root works with Magisk

- Android 9 has app level permissions built in, so it functions like privacy guard in that way.  If you want to have control over permissions that aren't covered by stock android, then you could try XPrivacyLua.  I just tried that tonight (for a different reason, which was to feed apps fake contacts) and ended up in a state where I couldn't boot my phone.  Because there is no way to access /data from TWRP, with it being encrypted (to manually remove the problems), and no way to flash the EdXposed uninstaller zip, I couldn't uninstall the offending modules.  I ended up having to factory reset.  I did take a TitaniumBackup before I started, and I'm now in the process of restoring from that, with it failing with an app here and there and me having to kill it and uncheck the app from the restore list and restoring again.  It was able to restore from the backup I took on my Relay 4G, with the exception of one app, that I can't remember now.  I guess backups from Android 9 don't restore as well for some reason, so I'll probably have to go back to the older backups to restore some of these apps and data and find a better backup and restore tool.  Nandroid backups in the past got around these issues.

So anyway, there is risk with installing the EdXposed stuff.  I might try it again to see if the fact that I rebooted after installing the EdExposed drivers instead of installing the EdXposed manager first is what caused the issue.

But if you don't need to have control over more than what the stock permissions manager provides in Android, the stock ROM seems to work fairly well.

Thanks for all the info, good to know about a potential thing to work on the Relay for SSL issues if I need to do so.  Though that phone is showing its age in other ways as well and really does need replaced.  That does not exactly enthuse me to go try XPrivacyLua.  Really I don't want to spend forever making this phone work, I don't tend to use a phone that much, just useful to have a reasonable setup for replying to emails and logging into servers in a pinch if I need to do so.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

On 2/13/2020 at 2:47 AM, EskeRahn said:

@tdm I took the liberty to renaming the thread, and merged in the new thread.

Please let me know when there is a status change, or you want a different title, and and I will edit.

Maybe it would also be nice if we kept your original post up to date with any new important info. Just PM me with what you want it to contain. 🙂

Would be very very nice if the first post stayed updated.  This thread is hard to keep up with, just too much information.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mechtec said:

Would be very very nice if the first post stayed updated.  This thread is hard to keep up with, just too much information.

I agree, however, most people read the newest posts and don't go back to the first.  If there is a way to pin it to the top of the topic (when you are in the topic), or to show a link at the top of the topic with an indicator that there is new info, that would be ideal.

9 hours ago, mechtec said:

Thanks for all the info, good to know about a potential thing to work on the Relay for SSL issues if I need to do so.  Though that phone is showing its age in other ways as well and really does need replaced.  That does not exactly enthuse me to go try XPrivacyLua.  Really I don't want to spend forever making this phone work, I don't tend to use a phone that much, just useful to have a reasonable setup for replying to emails and logging into servers in a pinch if I need to do so.

Feel free to message me if you would like to try to work through the Relay 4G SSL issues.

32 minutes ago, david said:

I agree, however, most people read the newest posts and don't go back to the first.  If there is a way to pin it to the top of the topic (when you are in the topic), or to show a link at the top of the topic with an indicator that there is new info, that would be ideal.

Oddly I can not recommend the FIRST post, but I can recommend a specific reply, like I just did here for the test. So when we want to make a thread that can be handled this way (one of) the first replies can be used to point to the original post.... If it is say the second comment and just refers people to read the initial post just above, we would have same functionality.

43 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Oddly I can not recommend the FIRST post, but I can recommend a specific reply, like I just did here for the test. So when we want to make a thread that can be handled this way (one of) the first replies can be used to point to the original post.... If it is say the second comment and just refers people to read the initial post just above, we would have same functionality.

That is funny that it won't work for the first.  But if the updates are made to the 2nd, rather than a double pointer, that would work better. 

Can you make a recommended post show an indicator if it has been unread since the last update?  If not, a date and time could be put at the top of the recommended message when updated, I guess. 

17 minutes ago, mcdinner said:

@tdm thx for the update, did you fix anything except the keyboard mapping? Calls are still broken for me + Audio errors in log. (with bluetooth off)

No this update was mostly just keyboard. I'll be working on audio next.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Just now, tdm said:

No this update was mostly just keyboard. I'll be working on audio next.

thank you. :)

Is there a way to disable proximity sensor while calling? It could work as a workaround to not switch display off while calling.

Edited by mcdinner

So I was going to try out test4.  I downloaded, confirmed the MD5 matched and rebooted to recovery and hit apply update and sideload.  However when I do a sideload the computer shows 0.0 transfer and the phone displays an error failed to verify package compatibility.  Runtime info and framework compatibility matrix are incompatible.  bmeta version 0.0 does not match framework matrix 1.0.  Any idea's?

I did flash addonsu-16.0, but I think I flashed that after test2 as well and did not end up with this issue.  I also tried flashing test3 and I end up with the same error as when I try and flash test4.  The addonsu package still flashes fine if I try that one.

I would prefer not to lose all my userdata again, but if I have to I can do another setup of the phone.

Edited by mechtec
4 hours ago, david said:

That is funny that it won't work for the first.  But if the updates are made to the 2nd, rather than a double pointer, that would work better. 

Can you make a recommended post show an indicator if it has been unread since the last update?  If not, a date and time could be put at the top of the recommended message when updated, I guess. 

Yes. But only the first line seems to be in the 'recommended' header, so it is important that it says something relevant, e.g. the date of newest post update.

2 hours ago, mechtec said:

So I was going to try out test4.  I downloaded, confirmed the MD5 matched and rebooted to recovery and hit apply update and sideload.  However when I do a sideload the computer shows 0.0 transfer and the phone displays an error failed to verify package compatibility.  Runtime info and framework compatibility matrix are incompatible.  bmeta version 0.0 does not match framework matrix 1.0.  Any idea's?

I did flash addonsu-16.0, but I think I flashed that after test2 as well and did not end up with this issue.  I also tried flashing test3 and I end up with the same error as when I try and flash test4.  The addonsu package still flashes fine if I try that one.

I would prefer not to lose all my userdata again, but if I have to I can do another setup of the phone.

Yes I've had this issue. Try using recovery from the other slot.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, spam71 said:

Hello. Does anyone know how to get r/w permissions for /system? I tried to replace keyboard *.kcm file with one for Polish letters, but I couldn't mount system r/w even though I had root privileges.

You need to do it via adb:

adb root

adb remount

Edit: oh, and for kcm files, I believe you can place your custom files in /data/system.

Edited by tdm

So now I am running into an issue whenever I close the screen the display gets shut off.  This is really annoying as I often pull out the keyboard to input something then go back to keyboardless to continue on in the app as some things don't display well in landscape.  I looked through the display settings and could not find anything related.  Is there another place to change this behavior?

I saw this behaviour in test4 and thought, great! I don't' have to hit the power button after closing slider anymore.

But I can see if someone actually wants to switch to portrait on purpose, that might be annoying.   (Just haven't had such a situation YET myself.)

In both versions, somebody has to push the power button, and somebody doesn't.  I dunno which is more common.  But I know I close the slider when I want it to lock, so I personally like this implementation.  I don't recall a situation where I ever wanted to switch from landscape to portrait w/o keyboard.  And under under current test4 implementation, if that happens, I have to push power.   But, under current implementation, I don't have to hit power anymore after I close it before I put in my pocket, so I'm happy this way.  I can close it and put it in my pocket immediately when I'm done using it.

But, I'm quite anxious for wake on key-press.  Miss that from stock/sailfish (Esc) but I think a solution for that is coming, and will work on any key.  But it is crazy annoying to have to reach around to the back to turn it back on if you leave the keyboard open; even stock had the Esc solution for this.

And I'm frustrated with frozen touchscreen that had already been resolved in stock Android, so really hoping LOS can fix this; don't recall it happening when I played with test2.  I know Sailfish OS is slightly off topic, but this never happened in more than a month of running it on Pro¹, so its not a hardware issue.  And someone else besides me said it started happening to them after test3-->test4, so something has regressed.  Could this be related to the tap to wake that was disabled in stock in an update?  I've never used that, but i tried tapping once or twice or 10x on Lineage and it doesn't seem to wake it, so doesn't seem like they brought that back, so not the likely problem.  I haven't even made it thru 24 hours without two lock-screens unresponsive to touch, and one instance of screen not even turning on at all.

Edited by Craig
3 hours ago, mechtec said:

Thanks, that worked perfect.  What does this mean for the future?  Will slot B eventually fail to work too?

I'm not sure, this is my first experience developing on an AVB device.  It could have been that I disabled the vbmeta checking in the earlier builds, but I don't know for sure.

1 hour ago, Craig said:

I saw this behaviour in test4 and thought, great! I don't' have to hit the power button after closing slider anymore.

But I can see if someone actually wants to switch to portrait on purpose, that might be annoying.   (Just haven't had such a situation YET myself.)

In both versions, somebody has to push the power button, and somebody doesn't.  I dunno which is more common.  But I know I close the slider when I want it to lock, so I personally like this implementation.  I don't recall a situation where I ever wanted to switch from landscape to portrait w/o keyboard.  And under under current test4 implementation, if that happens, I have to push power.   But, under current implementation, I don't have to hit power anymore after I close it before I put in my pocket, so I'm happy this way.  I can close it and put it in my pocket immediately when I'm done using it.

So, it was even worse then just hitting the power button...  I was playing with keepassdx, I had extended the keyboard to type my very long password.  After entry the screens did not work well on landscape so I closed and went to portrait...  The screen blanked and when I hit power I had to go through the password entry all over again.  I figured I had hit the power button or something when closing the first time so I very carefully closed again only to have the bloody thing lock again!  I find portrait nicer to use without the keyboard extended so its not in the way, but you can always just leave the keyboard hanging out while using it in portrait to get around the issue.  In any case, that kinda thing should really be a setting as some people will like one way better then the other.

• Like 1

I'm insecure.  I don't have any lock-screen passwords or thumbprints or fingerprints or patterns.  I'm crazy like that.  If someone gets my phone, they learn all about me.  I just find it unlikely that will ever happen, and if it does, I'll be sad.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
10 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes. But only the first line seems to be in the 'recommended' header, so it is important that it says something relevant, e.g. the date of newest post update.

That is what I was trying to say with "If not, a date and time could be put at the top of the recommended message when updated, I guess. "