Network Compatibility

On 12/11/2019 at 9:00 PM, EskeRahn said:

Denmark "3.dk", works like a charm.

Heh, I wouldn't put 3 and "works like a charm" closely together, regardless of the device. Or maybe it's slightly different in Denmark. It just completely sucks in Sweden. Will test Telia SE as soon as I get my device.

Ps. It would be appreciated if all of you in this thread could test all modes, like GSM, UMTS and LTE.

Ps2. Would the Pro1 actually be able to access CDMA networks if roaming was allowed there? Has anyone tried it?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Known Networks: (updated 2/3/2020) 1&1 (DE): Must add APN manually to enable LTE data, no problems observed after adding APN from carrier web site (1 report) 3.dk (DK): Working with no p

I feel that having a one-stop shop for network compatibility information will be valuable. Please post as you attempt to use the Pro1 with the various networks, and the experience you have. I will mai

It would be good if you could list any settings you needed to change in order to get it working for a given carrier too (like Craig listed that he had to add an APN).

Posted Images

7 hours ago, david said:

I believe @Craig is on an AT&T MVNO (FreedomPop).  Here is how he inserted the SIM

Indeed I am.  But that video shows I took a while to figure out how to get it in there, and in the end I put it in slot 2.  But it works fine.  I ddid have to add freedompop apn, but that's not required for real at&t....

I honestly think if AT&T couldn't make it work, there's something wrong....

Edited by Craig
8 hours ago, cathstoll said:

AT&T US - 

Unable to get the new SIM card to work in this phone.  (it worked in other devices)

The tech tried repeatedly, put the card in both the SIM positions - no luck.

He suggested in his experience either the phone was locked (doubtful), or the SIM connector defective hardware.  Very disappointing.  Any suggestions welcome.

Broken phone.  Warranty time.  This should work first time you plug the SIM in, w/o issues.  Something's wrong.

8 hours ago, cathstoll said:

AT&T US - 

Unable to get the new SIM card to work in this phone.  (it worked in other devices)

The tech tried repeatedly, put the card in both the SIM positions - no luck.

He suggested in his experience either the phone was locked (doubtful), or the SIM connector defective hardware.  Very disappointing.  Any suggestions welcome.

Something isn't right.  The Pro1 isn't carrier locked, so that's out.  If it's not being recognized as being inserted, I would double check that the SIM card still works in other AT&T devices.  If so, my guess is something is wrong with the Pro1 (sorry to say).

7 hours ago, cathstoll said:

The directions suggest holding the phone face DOWN (opposite of Craig's video)

I agree.  I didn't read directions, just trying things.  I'm one of those people that read the directions after  if cannot figure it out myself.  (That doesn't mean I don't read them later, page by page and word for word. )  I figured out (by trail & error - as evidence in my first experience with the phone) that one must turn the phone upside down to insert the sim tray.  If I'd read the directions, I'd know that from the beginning.  For that matter, if I'd read the diredcions I'd know how to switch from euro to NA plug.... instead of making people watch and yell at the screen how to do it right - I mean c'mon, the word PUSH is right there on a tab you have to push, and I wasted almost half a minute of my life before figuring out something so simple.

Edited by Craig
4 hours ago, sdx said:

Heh, I wouldn't put 3 and "works like a charm" closely together, regardless of the device. Or maybe it's slightly different in Denmark. It just completely sucks in Sweden. Will test Telia SE as soon as I get my device.

Ps. It would be appreciated if all of you in this thread could test all modes, like GSM, UMTS and LTE.

Ps2. Would the Pro1 actually be able to access CDMA networks if roaming was allowed there? Has anyone tried it?

Well the premises of the question of whether it works with a carrier should obviously be if it works where there carriers covers...

You got a point on "3" not offering 2G. But otherwise the 3G/4G net of 3.dk (And hence their subsidiary Oister) works well. See zoomable map here, And it is clearly better coverage than the Swedish map .

In Denmark there are legislation that means that those carriers that covers an area can not refuse requests from other carriers to roam on their net. I do not know at what internal prices they are bound to do so though. Note that this does NOT mean that any carriers are required to make a roaming agreement, just that those covering can not refuse if asked.

Success!    You folks were dead right.

12 hours ago, Hook said:

One other thing to note is that blown up that much, yes you see the frame very clearly.  It is not as clear IRL with these old eyes.  The old eyes are my problem.  But that frame is also not substantial enough to keep the SIM card held firmly despite having the correct shape.  So, even when you have the SIM in correctly, you have to be careful sliding it in.  At least that's my experience,but I'll be happy to learn I'm just a hopeless klutz (and would never rule out that theory 🙄 )

It wasn't substantial enough to keep the SIM card held firmly, and I suspect I may have a janky SIM drawer as well, it seemed loose to the tech - so I took David's suggestion below.

11 hours ago, david said:

I have a cellular router that takes a larger SIM size than the AT&T SIM I have for it.  I had to use an upsizing adapter for it and that adapter and/or the SIM slot would allow the SIM to fall out/move around too much, so tape was used on the bottom side of the adapter to keep that little bugger in place.  Similar (no pun intended) deal, where it didn't really snap into the adapter.

I pulled the shiny new AT&T SIM card out of the wretched keyboardless replacement phone I got yesterday during this ordeal (my beloved 2012 Samsung Stratosphere keyboard phone was on its last gasp), then put that SIM card in the FxTec tray gold side UP, and taped that sucker down on the bottom side.    Phone face down, slid the tray back in with extravagant care and delicacy.

Success!  4G

So I am going back to AT&T to return their phone.  Ten thousand thanks to you all for the help.

AT&T 4G.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Craig said:

I agree.  I didn't read directions, just trying things.  I'm one of those people that read the directions after  if cannot figure it out myself.  (That doesn't mean I don't read them later, page by page and word for word. )  I figured out (by trail & error - as evidence in my first experience with the phone) that one must turn the phone upside down to insert the sim tray.  If I'd read the directions, I'd know that from the beginning.  For that matter, if I'd read the diredcions I'd know how to switch from euro to NA plug.... instead of making people watch and yell at the screen how to do it right - I mean c'mon, the word PUSH is right there on a tab you have to push, and I wasted almost half a minute of my life before figuring out something so simple.

It was more entertaining seeing you do things by trial and error.  It also provides insight for fxtec on areas to improve.

And your video is the only one showing inserting the sim card, I believe, so that's why I used it as an example. :-)

13 minutes ago, cathstoll said:

I pulled the shiny new AT&T SIM card out of the wretched keyboardless replacement phone I got yesterday during this ordeal 

Was this the same SIM the AT&T tech tried in the Pro1?

(my beloved 2012 Samsung Stratosphere keyboard phone was on its last gasp),

May he rest in peace. 

slid the tray back in with extravagant care and delicacy.

LOL

Success!  4G

Yay!   I love it when a plan comes together.   (I figured an "The A-Team" quote was appropriate for AT&T)

1 hour ago, Hook said:

@silversolver This needs to be updated for Verizon.  Verizon works with mule or old SIM from a VoLTE capable phone.  However, Volte provisioning has to be turned on for the Pro 1 as it is off by default.  See Verizon thread.

Thank you! I am in the process of several updates after getting sidetracked with silly things like work for a bit. I am out of editing time period on the top post so I'll try to get a mod to make the changes.

--------------------

3.dk (DK): Working with no problems observed (1 report)

AT&T (US): Working with no problems (2 reports)

D2 (Vodafone) (DE): Working with no problems observed (1 report)

FreedomPop (AT&T) (US): Working with no problems observed after manually adding APN (1 report)

T-Mobile (US): Radio dropouts and poor performance for one user, another user got same device working correctly by manually adding APN (2 reports)

Tello (Sprint) (US): Couldn't activate device. Mule activation not yet attempted. (1 report)

Ting (T-Mobile) (US): Working with no problems observed (1 report)

Verizon (US): Cannot activate device directly, works via SIM swap from a VoLTE-provisioned mule, then *#*#4636#*#* and flip all the switches and reboot (2,1 reports)

If you'd like to discuss the issues with Pro1 and Verizon, a separate topic exists for that. https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2133-fxtec-on-verizon/

-------------------------------------

@EskeRahn can you please paste the area between the dashes over the top post so the list is updated? EDIT: Thanks for the help!

Edited by silversolver
  • Like 1

Not clear to me what network problem you are referring to.  All the problems seem to be with US Networks and it is mostly a matter of figuring out what is needed.  Verizon has been solved (see the Verizon thread).  Sprint seems to have problems, but has not been widely problem-solved and is probably due to their reliance on CDMA. Some are a question of getting the right APNs. This is an old story.  US has such ass-backwards telecoms that International phones have never been smooth here, but we are largely getting things solved.

It's not the phone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Hook said:

Not clear to me what network problem you are referring to.  All the problems seem to be with US Networks and it is mostly a matter of figuring out what is needed.  Verizon has been solved (see the Verizon thread).  Sprint seems to have problems, but has not been widely problem-solved and is probably due to their reliance on CDMA. Some are a question of getting the right APNs. This is an old story.  US has such ass-backwards telecoms that International phones have never been smooth here, but we are largely getting things solved.

It's not the phone.

I think its just not the issue with US, its also having issue with other countries

1 minute ago, kashif said:

well the phone can make sms and internet is fine, but cant make calls.

and its not in US but in Australia

I know nothing on the Australian setup. But in general terms: Does the bands your carrier are using match the Pro1? Is the registration SIM bound like e.g. Europe or IMEI bound like the US? In the latter case, some of the tricks mentioned for the US might work for you. Have you tried a different carrier's SIM? Try installing an app that can tell you a little of what bands it is connected on, and at what strength. And compare that with carrier requirements.

Under Settings, Network & Internet, Mobile Network, Advanced, Preferred network Type. You MIGHT need to scroll and find a more fitting band-set

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I know nothing on the Australian setup. But in general terms: Does the bands your carrier are using match the Pro1? Is the registration SIM bound like e.g. Europe or IMEI bound like the US? In the latter case, some of the tricks mentioned for the US might work for you. Have you tried a different carrier's SIM? Try installing an app that can tell you a little of what bands it is connected on, and at what strength. And compare that with carrier requirements.

Under Settings, Network & Internet, Mobile Network, Advanced, Preferred network Type. You MIGHT need to scroll and find a more fitting band-set

Ok thanks,

I'm not sure if anyone else with a Pro1 is in Australia, but you'll need the OTA update to get phone calls working.  On the original stock firmware everything worked but outgoing calls which would not dial out and incoming calls would be engaged or straight to voicemail.  Same for LineageOS, but currently no update to fix it.

There is one other thing I noticed; when I dial *#*#4636#*#* I see that "VoLTE provisioned" is greyed out and disabled.  Hopefully that can be turned on in future.

Edited by Noob
  • Thanks 2