Magisk Install - Step by Step [ROOT]

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The typical installation method as described on XDA won't work yet on Pro1, because we don't have a fully working version of TWRP yet.  But never fear, it's still easy, five simple steps and you

For those getting their devices and wanting to root now, the recommended procedure has changed!     This method should allow you to take future OTA updates keeping root using the A/B method link

If someone need - i upload to google drive stock versions of  boot.img, backuped by Magisk from all versions i had:  - 20191028 - 20191111 - 20191129 - 20191210 - 20200106

Posted Images

1 minute ago, rtuz2th said:

Okay. Adaway can't be the cause, since I did install the app yesterday but forgot to let it change the hosts file, so the error occurred with the standard host file. Just realized I did not activate it yesterday, sorry.

After you disable Magisk in Magisk Manager, test with an app that requires super user to see if it is truly disabled.

• Like 1

Did you install or configure any apps between the 20200106 OTA and trying the 20200306 OTA?  If it worked on 20200106 and nothing was done between that and 20200306, then maybe the error isn't due to a change to /system.  I know other people have gotten that error before, but I'm not sure if anyone reported that they got around it by clearing data on certain system apps or not.

• Like 1

Maybe adaway makes some changes before you even tell it to modify hosts.  You could still try uninstalling it to see if the OTA will work.  Maybe a reboot will be needed in between.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, david said:

Did you install or configure any apps between the 20200106 OTA and trying the 20200306 OTA?  If it worked on 20200106 and nothing was done between that and 20200306, then maybe the error isn't due to a change to /system.  I know other people have gotten that error before, but I'm not sure if anyone reported that they got around it by clearing data on certain system apps or not.

No, I did not. Exact same configuration. I'll see what installing from SD brings up, package is downloading on my laptop right now.

• Like 1

I just uninstalled Adaway and both Magisk Modules I had installed (Youtube Vanced Black Themed, Systemless Hosts) incl reboot. Then I disabled Magisk, checked back it is indeed disabled using oandbackup, successfully installed the update and reenabled magisk. I rebooted twice now, I'm still on 20200306 and magisk is still active. I won't try understand this wizardry, I'm just glad it works now and I'm hoping fxtec has a tendency to releasing a few big patches, not hundreds of small ones 😅 Thanks again for you effort @david.

• Thanks 1

Although it doesn't seem like you installed any apps between he 20200106 OTA and the 20200306 OTA, this thread might help:

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2532-ota-update-fails-after-using-magisk-root/

The steps @zurvan2 took might help you figure out if a particular app is causing issues.  It does require you to go back to the factory firmware though, and then try the first OTA repeatedly (with a subset of apps added each time) to see which app is changing /system.

Alternatively, you can try running this command from the shell to see what has changed in the last day or two or three, etc.

su

find /system -type f -mtime -1|xargs ls -ls

Change "-1" to "-2" "-3" etc to go back more than 1 day.

9 minutes ago, rtuz2th said:

I just uninstalled Adaway and both Magisk Modules I had installed (Youtube Vanced Black Themed, Systemless Hosts) incl reboot. Then I disabled Magisk, checked back it is indeed disabled using oandbackup, successfully installed the update and reenabled magisk. I rebooted twice now, I'm still on 20200306 and magisk is still active. I won't try understand this wizardry, I'm just glad it works now and I'm hoping fxtec has a tendency to releasing a few big patches, not hundreds of small ones 😅 Thanks again for you effort @david.

Yay!  Congratulations! :-)

My guess is "temporary glitch" or "Adaway".

Thank you, David, for providing instructions.

I will add some particulars of my experience installing the OTA that showed up a couple days ago on my rooted phone.

I uninstalled magisk using magisk manager.  I clicked "uninstall" on the bottom and then "restore images."  I think it's probably important to choose "restore images" rather than "complete uninstall."  It said "restore complete."

Then I downloaded the OTA.  The second screen "Installing.." said 100% with no status bar.  There was never a dialog to reboot. Finally after waiting several I hours, started poking around to see what was going on.

There was no indication at this point from Magisk Manager that Magisk was uninstalled or that root privileges were gone.  In fact there was a checkmark saying that it was still installed. I didn't have a root tester, or any apps that needed root installed yet, so I didn't verify it. I actually did the magisk uninstall with "restore images" a couple of times to see if that would change anything.  I did this after the OTA was "installing" and at "100%" so it's possible my actions messed up the OTA, but read on.

After reading this thread:  

I decided to reinstall magisk and reboot.  I reinstalled to a new slot as instructed (it said to only do this after an OTA update).  Everything looked fine; it said "stock boot image detected." I clicked the yellow button to reboot.

After rebooting, my fingerprints were gone (I think there may be a thread about this), but everything else was there.  Root was maintained (I tested with a root tester this time) and I got the "Congratulations" screen saying the OTA was installed 20200306.  I don't know if I really have the update or it just thinks I do, but I mostly installed it because I was annoyed by the alerts.  "About phone" is showing a build number with 20200306124530.

Edited by adam.stallard
  • Like 1

All of that makes sense to me. It might not be obvious at first but you have to take in account how Magisk operates.

The OTA will only update a clean boot image (it's a delta update, so it wouldn't work even if it let you). So you have Magisk uninstall restore the old one. Uninstalling Magisk means having an unpatched boot image. That is what Magisk is. Due to how Magisk operates, this change will only apply to a running system after rebooting, so root persists until then. This is good since now the boot image is clean and can be updated but there's still root to read the boot partition and patch again it without external flashing.

Okay, the parts with fingerprints missing and no real update completion dialog does not make sense, but I guess that stuff happens.

Edit:
Oh and then there's also the A/B slots that get switched around, so there's that. Almost forgot about those.

Edited by elvissteinjr
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, adam.stallard said:

I uninstalled magisk using magisk manager.  I clicked "uninstall" on the bottom and then "restore images."  I think it's probably important to choose "restore images" rather than "complete uninstall."  It said "restore complete."

That's the correct option to pick.

Then I downloaded the OTA.  The second screen "Installing.." said 100% with no status bar.  There was never a dialog to reboot. Finally after waiting several I hours, started poking around to see what was going on.

If you click on the notification that is present at this point in time, it will change to 0% for a while and then tell you when it is done, without the status bar progressing.

After rebooting, my fingerprints were gone (I think there may be a thread about this), but everything else was there.  Root was maintained (I tested with a root tester this time) and I got the "Congratulations" screen saying the OTA was installed 20200306.  I don't know if I really have the update or it just thinks I do, but I mostly installed it because I was annoyed by the alerts.  "About phone" is showing a build number with 20200306124530.

Congratulations!  That all seems to indicate everything worked as planned. :-)

Thanks for sharing the details.

Looks like magisk stopped working on my device (los). Or at least safetynet check fails and apps which need to be hide from root, doens't work anymore. Magisk is not familiar to me, but I googled a bit and looks like it is quite common that it starts failing after a while. Should I just reflash it then and hope for longer-term operation?

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, auvo.salmi said:

Looks like magisk stopped working on my device (los). Or at least safetynet check fails and apps which need to be hide from root, doens't work anymore. Magisk is not familiar to me, but I googled a bit and looks like it is quite common that it starts failing after a while. Should I just reflash it then and hope for longer-term operation?

Which version of firmware and which apps and which safetynet check app? 

I use a magisk module under LOS called safetypatch that makes it pass.  I dont think re-flashing will do anything different.   Besides bootloader & root, lineage test versions dont have selinux, unsigned, etc, so more reasons to fail.

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, david said:

Which version of firmware and which apps and which safetynet check app? 

Firmware.. Do you mean android version? Lineage, test9. What else? 😄 Or if you mean magisk, it should be the newest, 20.3 and 7.5.1. Safetynet check, just checked via Magisk. There is two points (see my post little bit above). ctsProfile was failed from the beginning, but the other was passed. Now both of them are failed, and apps like Outlook (there's some protection set by my employer) which detects root) now fail, but they were working before.

Edited by auvo.salmi

Lineage Test910has Android security patch level from March 5, 2020.  I think I read some stuff recently about some updates breaking magisk - perhaps forever.

https://www.xda-developers.com/magisk-no-longer-hide-bootloader-unlock-status/

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/03/11/safetynet-improvements-kill-magisk-hide/

edit: sorry test 10, although test 9 probably the same

Edited by Craig
1 hour ago, auvo.salmi said:

Firmware.. Do you mean android version? Lineage, test9. What else? 😄 Or if you mean magisk, it should be the newest, 20.3 and 7.5.1. Safetynet check, just checked via Magisk. There is two points (see my post little bit above). ctsProfile was failed from the beginning, but the other was passed. Now both of them are failed, and apps like Outlook (there's some protection set by my employer) which detects root) now fail, but they were working before.

I meant stock firmware, because I forgot you were talking about LOS.  But the version of the LOS build helps others to compare too.

Try the safety patch that @Craig mentioned.  

52 minutes ago, Craig said:

Lineage Test9 has Android security patch level from March 5, 2020.  I think I read some stuff recently about some updates breaking magisk - perhaps forever.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/03/11/safetynet-improvements-kill-magisk-hide/

Does your LOS + Safety Patch no longer pass the safetynet check in Magisk Manager?

2 hours ago, Craig said:

Lineage Test910has Android security patch level from March 5, 2020.  I think I read some stuff recently about some updates breaking magisk - perhaps forever.

edit: sorry test 10, although test 9 probably the same

Wow, that sounds like the end of this might in fact come rather sooner than later?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm not yet all too much into all this custom ROM and bootloader unlocking thing, but reading that, it seems to only refer to the unlocked bootloader – couldn't we just run LineageOS with a locked bootloader and thereby continue to get SafetyNet attestation? 

17 hours ago, Craig said:

I use a magisk module under LOS called safetypatch that makes it pass.  I dont think re-flashing will do anything different.   Besides bootloader & root, lineage test versions dont have selinux, unsigned, etc, so more reasons to fail.

I tried the safetypatch. Tried to just apply the zip via Magisk modules, and got this. What am I doing wrong / how did you manage to do it?

Screenshot_20200317-103510_Magisk_Manager.png

Edited by auvo.salmi
2 minutes ago, auvo.salmi said:

I tried the safetypatch. Tried to just apply the zip via Magisk modules, and got this. What am I doing wrong / how did you manage to do it?

Screenshot_20200317-103510_Magisk_Manager.png

I installed it by searching for it under "Downloads" in Magisk Manager and installing it from there.

• Like 1