Magisk Install - Step by Step [ROOT]

On 1/28/2020 at 6:27 PM, Hook said:

Supposed to work like this (minus the TWRP step):

https://www.thecustomdroid.com/install-ota-update-rooted-android-device-guide/#How_to_Install_OTA_Updates_on_Rooted_Android_Devices

Found this after my adventure, so never got to try it out.  It depends on getting the original patching and rooting right.

this isn't working for me. my phone is asking me to install 20191210 (from 20191203), but regardless of whether i uninstall magisk or not, it fails with the message: "intall failed, reason: 20" which is rather cryptic.

the only thing i've done apart from magisk is AdAway (with systemless hosts) and some database hacks to get google pay working (read my standalone post if confused).

i've seen in another thread that adaway can cause otas to fail, but i've been very careful to not install it before enabling systemless hosts.

Am I screwed? do I need to flash back to stock?

EDIT: also i'm rather confused as to how i ended up on 20191203 considering I downloaded 20200106 from this thread before patching it and installing it.

Edited by oliviersenn6
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The typical installation method as described on XDA won't work yet on Pro1, because we don't have a fully working version of TWRP yet.  But never fear, it's still easy, five simple steps and you

For those getting their devices and wanting to root now, the recommended procedure has changed!     This method should allow you to take future OTA updates keeping root using the A/B method link

If someone need - i upload to google drive stock versions of  boot.img, backuped by Magisk from all versions i had:  - 20191028 - 20191111 - 20191129 - 20191210 - 20200106

Posted Images

7 hours ago, J_P said:

Makes me wonder why it's recommended to patch the boot.img on your own phone as everyone appears to be ending up with exactly the same file.

Because this will allow us to take future OTA updates, as it allows magisk manager to give you the option to restore.

But just to root, nope, you can use a file someone else patched; at the beginning that's what we were doing, and all was great... til OTA came around that included a new kernel....

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, oliviersenn6 said:

this isn't working for me. my phone is asking me to install 20191210 (from 20191203), but regardless of whether i uninstall magisk or not, it fails with the message: "intall failed, reason: 20" which is rather cryptic.

the only thing i've done apart from magisk is AdAway (with systemless hosts) and some database hacks to get google pay working (read my standalone post if confused).

i've seen in another thread that adaway can cause otas to fail, but i've been very careful to not install it before enabling systemless hosts.

Am I screwed? do I need to flash back to stock?

EDIT: also i'm rather confused as to how i ended up on 20191203 considering I downloaded 20200106 from this thread before patching it and installing it.

Ah, yes. I had this one as well. You flashed the 2020 boot.img over the 2019 boot.img, and now patches don't work because you've entered some weird state the updater doesn't want to mess with. What I did was uninstall magisk (restore image) but didn't reboot (doesn't really matter if you do, you'd just lose root for the time being afaik), flash and install the proper boot image (the one that matches your version number in About QX1000), and proceed with the update from there using the "update on rooted OSes" guide you quoted. No issues after that.

Edited by SirBaconIII
Clarify my instructions a bit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SirBaconIII said:

Ah, yes. I had this one as well. You flashed the 2020 boot.img over the 2019 boot.img, and now patches don't work because you've entered some weird state the updater doesn't want to mess with. What I did was uninstall magisk (restore image) but didn't reboot (doesn't really matter if you do, you'd just lose root for the time being afaik), flash and install the proper boot image (the one that matches your version number in About QX1000), and proceed with the update from there using the "update on rooted OSes" guide you quoted. No issues after that.

Does this mean you are the first Minnesotan with a rooted Pro1?! :-)  

5 hours ago, SirBaconIII said:

well that's a damn shame, i can't seem to find a boot image for 20191203.

@Craig or @Ilrilan,would you happen to have it on hand?

6 hours ago, SirBaconIII said:

"intall failed, reason: 20" which is rather cryptic.

I also had this. My theory was that despite my best efforts, something had actually modified the system partition, making the checksums not match. I restored the stock system.img as well as boot.img, and that let the update proceed. I was lucky that the version I was updating from was the original stock rom that I had system.img for.

Since then I have been *much* more careful about things modifying the system, and have not had the same problem.

6 hours ago, oliviersenn6 said:

My best guess is that the boot.img from the previous update was used in that update. I wouldn't know, though, so take that with a grain of salt until someone with actual information replies.

6 hours ago, oliviersenn6 said:

I never actually figured out how to extract them, so have to wait for Illrian on that.  But can't you just update via ota to latest version before rooting? 

50 minutes ago, Craig said:

But can't you just update via ota to latest version before rooting? 

I think the primary issue is they don't have the necessary version of the boot.img to fall back on, unless magisk makes an image of the active boot.img when you flash, instead of the one you actually flash. Restoring the image before updating does still give you the error though, so I'm guessing the restore point is the flashed image.

Edited by SirBaconIII
Reword a part

Hi!

I had an issue with installing magisk and got help in the discord, wanted to mention it here since it might help others. 🙂

I use Debian 9 Stretch stable, meaning that most of the time the software I install from the repos are older than the ones found on Ubuntu. Hoping that I could follow the guide on page 2 I stumbled on an error when flashing the magisk_patched.img file.

fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'boota' (22080 KB)...
OKAY [  0.538s]
writing 'boota'...
FAILED (remote: (boota_a) No such partition)
finished. total time: 0.538s

fastboot getvar current-slot
current-slot: a
finished. total time: 0.001s

Got the tip to try a USB2.0-port but that made no difference. (My only option for a USB2.0 post was using a hub.)

Trying another, a newer version of the fastboot tool worked though!
I just switched over to a windows pc for a moment with a significantly newer version of the software which worked perfectly.

The packages in Debian that did not work was:

- fastboot version 1:7.0.0+r33-1
- Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.36 (Revision 1:7.0.0+r33-1)

Edited by fredrick
  • Thanks 4

Finally got Magisk installed properly.

The issue was that I had an SD card in the phone, and Magisk manager automatically installed to the SD card which makes it not work.

Hopefully this info saves someone else some trouble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
21 minutes ago, J_P said:

Finally got Magisk installed properly.

The issue was that I had an SD card in the phone, and Magisk manager automatically installed to the SD card which makes it not work.

Hopefully this info saves someone else some trouble.

Did you have the SD card set up as combined storage with the internal storage, or as a separate storage for photos/videos?

Thanks for your offer to help. I will try out discord shortly.

Restoring to stock is something I have done before. Of course I was hoping to recover my current system and the data partition. Unfortunately, I tried TWRP, and that made things worse. (I don't blame anyone. I was actually warned to not use the current version of TWRP)

well if you play around a bit with magisk modules and the phone does not boot. You can flash back the original bootloader and the phone will boot again. But the problem is that you can not uninstall the problamatic magisk module as the magisk manager is not able to see the installed modules. The solution is the so called "core" magisk version.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-4-xl/how-to/magisk-modules-disabler-booting-magisk-t3990557

I used the aproach that disables magisk modules after flashing the patched bootloader. When you boot the device remove the problematic module, delete .disable-magisk file from the /cache and that is all 😉

here are the files for bootloader 20200106

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1scKmBya3cF9e9dAUpij3CTaJd13veIJD?usp=sharing

• Thanks 2
6 hours ago, shubell said:

well if you play around a bit with magisk modules and the phone does not boot. You can flash back the original bootloader and the phone will boot again. But the problem is that you can not uninstall the problamatic magisk module as the magisk manager is not able to see the installed modules. The solution is the so called "core" magisk version.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-4-xl/how-to/magisk-modules-disabler-booting-magisk-t3990557

I used the aproach that disables magisk modules after flashing the patched bootloader. When you boot the device remove the problematic module, delete .disable-magisk file from the /cache and that is all 😉

here are the files for bootloader 20200106

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1scKmBya3cF9e9dAUpij3CTaJd13veIJD?usp=sharing

Oh, why couldn't I have found this yesterday??  Lol  I ended up doing a factory restore to get rid of the EdXposed modules that wouldn't let me boot.

Thanks for posting this.

On 2/13/2020 at 5:06 PM, david said:

Oh, why couldn't I have found this yesterday??  Lol  I ended up doing a factory restore to get rid of the EdXposed modules that wouldn't let me boot.

Thanks for posting this.

I know this information is coming too late now, but you can flash back your unmodified boot.img and uninstall the Xposed module that caused a boot halt. Xposed modules are ordinary APKs. Just don't forget to re-install Magisk after you flashed back the magisk_patched.img. Also, https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2755-riru-core-edxposed-magisk/?tab=comments#comment-44099 😉

Edited by daniel.schaaaf
3 hours ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

I know this information is coming too late now, but you can flash back your unmodified boot.img and uninstall the Xposed module that caused a boot halt. Xposed modules are ordinary APKs. Just don't forget to re-install Magisk after you flashed back the magisk_patched.img. Also, https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2755-riru-core-edxposed-magisk/?tab=comments#comment-44099 😉

This will not work if people get stuck in the way I got stuck.  I misspoke above.  When I wrote that I couldn't get rid of EdXposed modules, what I meant is Magisk modules for EdXposed.  When I installed the Yafta hooks for EdXposed, in Magisk, I couldn't boot.  I never got to the point of installing EdXposed modules in EdXposed Manager, or installing EdXposed manager, for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...