Pro1 first-day-user questions

Hello to everyone!

I've just got my Pro1. I have a few questions - let's go straight to the topic:

1. WTF is this long-ish button on the very bottom and how to turn it off? I can't even open apps without messing with this thing.

2. How to type the question mark? When I press L with the arrow button (at the same time) nothing happens. Same thing goes to \ - just can't type those 2.

3. Why does the on-screen keyboard always turns itself on (at least in WhatsApp) when the hwkb is open? The switch in the keyboard settings does not help here at all. Tried with Gboard and with Blackberry Keyboard (was hoping it will work better because it can support hwkb on the BB devices, but not here).

4. Is the SIM tray in Yours also so flimsy/jiggly?

5. The LCD quality is poor... I can tell where the glue is just by looking it under direct light. (yeah, that was more of a remark than question)

6. What is the "Slider" section in the settings for? It has already made it to piss me off by locking the phone in landscape mode, even though I didn't touch it...

7. I did not get my headphones with the phone - should they be in the box? It was supposed to be the "reward" for the pre-orderers, did that change?

8. Is the LED in Yours also turning on and off grafually (don't know how to say it - not fluent?)

Can anyone help me with those issues? I was waiting so long and expected a premium product for a premium price, but until now the only thing I can actually feel is disappointment 😞

feels rather like some cheap chinese phone from AliExpress...

I have also encountered the already mentioned problem when the keyboard becomes unresponsive - restart helped.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That bug has been fixed with the latest OTA update, yes 🙂

I would venture to say most of us don't want any of that, having a keyboard gives me full control of that myself..... however that doesn't mean the toggles to turn it on/off shouldn't be there for peo

For those of you wants to have word suggestions, try using Swift key instead of GBoard. It has most of the features, if not all, as a software keyboard. Because most users wants clean Android, we

Posted Images

1. A screenshot would help.

2. The slant-arrow key combinations only work if you do NOT select a keyboard layout; in this state shift won't work for number row.  If you select a layout, then shift will work as expected, but slant-arrow does nothing.   I personally selected a layout and remapped my sym key to slash using key mapper, see my thread about it.

3. Don't use whatsapp, dunno, haven't had virtual keyboard come up by itself in anything I've tried.

4. Dunno, only put it in once, don't intend to try again til I have to, so yeah I guess flimsy sounds right.

6.  If its set to lock to landscape when keyboard open, then it's doing what it's supposed to, not sure of the question here...  some apps ignore this setting tho, so you may want to also turn on auto-rotation.

7.  Neither did I.

8. I dunno what the LED is doing yet, usually blinking, various colors.... good question.

Edited by Craig

3. Whats app uses it's own keyboard as I recollect

4.  All phones are like that with dual sim I have had think it's  a crap standard part 😞

7. Come later they said separate no idea if that still stands

Answered a few for you not got mine yet

20 minutes ago, Craig said:

2. The slant-arrow key combinations only work if you do NOT select a keyboard layout; in this state shift won't work for number row.  If you select a layout, then shift will work as expected, but slant-arrow does nothing.  

good Idea...but on QWERTZ if you choose no layout all buttons are one step postponed.

An "E" is an "R" and "h" is a "j" and so on.

If you choose a LAyout all fine but no questionmark possible. I will try your Thread with Keymapper. THX for this

1 minute ago, PanicBrothers said:

good Idea...but on QWERTZ if you choose no layout all buttons are one step postponed.

Yeah I've heard such.  The solution for QWERTZ is FINQWERTY.   The app developer has been working with Eske on this.

I believe OP has QWERTY, but if not, disregard my comment, it only applies to qwerty.

Yes, I have QWERTY. The lack of sticky keys is really annoying...

So I deat with the question mark (writing from the Pro1 - ???/// it works), but the on screen keyboard keeps popping up whenever I touch the text field.

when I use the hwkb it is not starting new sentence with capital letters - is there a solution for that? I guess I have also lost any possibility of autocorrection or regional letters...

key mapping tool would be great, but I can't root my phone because of my baking app 😞

the long-ish thing is this - it keeps pissng me off:

Screenshot_20191219-184440~2.png

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, anonim001 said:

when I use the hwkb it is not starting new sentence with capital letters - is there a solution for that?

This may be dumb, because you already mentioned the lack of sticky keys, but are you holding down shift when you press the letter?

I don't think you need root to use key mapper, only a few special features labeled as requiring root.

I think you're pointing to the home button.   You can get rid of that with immersive mode... some apps use it... you can force it with systemui tuner but I think that may require root...    when you said 'bottom' I automatically assumed landscape, for me that's on the right... and I've restored the other buttons too...

As to regional letters without keymapping, don't they work as expected with other keyboard layouts?   Or are you trying to use dead keys?  or what?

Edited by Craig
3 minutes ago, anonim001 said:

So I deat with the question mark (writing from the Pro1 - ???/// it works), but the on screen keyboard keeps popping up whenever I touch the text field.

when I use the hwkb it is not starting new sentence with capital letters - is there a solution for that? I guess I have also lost any possibility of autocorrection or regional letters...

key mapping tool would be great, but I can't root my phone because of my baking app 😞

Looks like a feature of the launcher try using a different one, to see if it is like nova or something.

2 minutes ago, ksal95 said:

That is the home button

why does it interfere with the apps list? When I want to see my apps and swipe the screen, first it takes me to open apps, and then to the apps list - instead of a short swipe I have to swipe up to over 50% of the screen length.

There may be another way to turn off home button on stock launcher desktop, but is that what you're trying to accomplish anon?   What exactly are you trying to do that you what different?   For example do you want the button for app drawer?  Nova has that.   Here's my desktop right now:

Screenshot_20191219-120813.png

Edited by Craig
2 minutes ago, anonim001 said:

why does it interfere with the apps list? When I want to see my apps and swipe the screen, first it takes me to open apps, and then to the apps list - instead of a short swipe I have to swipe up to over 50% of the screen length.

Not sure why Google made it that way, but that's how it is in Android 9 and up.  It can be changed in the system settings.

I'm on a Pixel 2 XL, so I'm not sure if it is the same for the Pro1.  But if you go to Settings > System > Gestures and then select system navigation, it should be in there.

Edited by ksal95
Didn't say how to change the home button style
4 minutes ago, Craig said:

Exactly.  It doesn't seem like the setting you're looking for, but it is.  you turn off the gesture to get the buttons back.

That's exactly what I was searching for 🙂 thanks!

Now the only things left are the on-screen keyboard thing and other keyboard-related problems. The LED is not so important (although I wish it worked more fluent or just on-off, no dimming)

...is what I wanted to say, but it got stuck in landscape mode again 😞 (the hwkb was closed); had to turn the "landscape mode lock" in the Slider settings off to get it back to portrait 😕 guess it has to stay this way for now, until some update comes out...

Edited by anonim001

i think that the hwkb open/close sensor is getting stuck, that's why it stays in landscape mode... anyone else having this issue?

edit: that must be the case here -  it explains why the on-screen keyboard stopped showing when the "leave on screen keyboard when whkb is active" is off. Any ideas how to force it backt to work? Restart does not help

edit2: just repaired itself... I'm going crazy

edit3: not working again 😠

should I raise a warranty complaint? It's pretty much unusable if it stays like that... If that's how it is, I'm sending it back.

Edited by anonim001
2 hours ago, anonim001 said:

3. Why does the on-screen keyboard always turns itself on (at least in WhatsApp) when the hwkb is open? The switch in the keyboard settings does not help here at all. Tried with Gboard and with Blackberry Keyboard (was hoping it will work better because it can support hwkb on the BB devices, but not here).

I had that problem too. I thought it was a defect of the device. When I wiped it and the person I sold it to used it, it worked just fine and the onscreen did what it was supposed to.

1 hour ago, anonim001 said:

This is the android pie replacement for what was called the navigation cluster, it's very annoying but luckily you can turn it off. Go to settings->system->gestures->"swipe up on home button" and turn the only setting there off, then it will be normal :). I have no clue what they were thinking at google, but they made that and now almost every modern phone is like that by default.

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, netman said:

This is the android pie replacement for what was called the navigation cluster, it's very annoying but luckily you can turn it off. Go to settings->system->gestures->"swipe up on home button" and turn the only setting there off, then it will be normal :). I have no clue what they were thinking at google, but they made that and now almost every modern phone is like that by default.

I have a Pixel 1 here running Android 10 and it has the 3 normal buttons at the bottom of the screen.  Did Google revert back to the normal buttons after Pie?  How do you bring up menus or go back without the other 2 soft buttons?

24 minutes ago, david said:

I have a Pixel 1 here running Android 10 and it has the 3 normal buttons at the bottom of the screen.  Did Google revert back to the normal buttons after Pie?  How do you bring up menus or go back without the other 2 soft buttons?

You supposed to rub it left/right/up/down i think, I tried it for a few minutes got angry and googled how to turn it off (which was fairly straightforward because i remember the normal buttons being named "navigation cluster"). Maybe they default disable it for pixel?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, netman said:

You supposed to rub it left/right/up/down i think, I tried it for a few minutes got angry and googled how to turn it off (which was fairly straightforward because i remember the normal buttons being named "navigation cluster"). Maybe they default disable it for pixel?

Funny that they screwed everyone else, but disabled it on their own phone!

Steve Jobs still haunts us from the grave.

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, david said:

Funny that they screwed everyone else, but disabled it on their own phone!

Steve Jobs still haunts us from the grave.

Also funny the setting is in system instead of accessibility where you'd feel it'd belong... And named "swipe up on home button"?!?

• Haha 2