Firefox Killing My Pro1.

Does anyone use Firefox for Android at the moment?

I'm finding it almost grinds to a halt after about an hour of browsing. The screen refresh starts to lag horrendously and the screen doesn't register taps.

I don't think it's an issue with the Pro1, I'm guessing it's more than likely Firefox itself.

Opera browser is no problem at all, but I prefer to use Firefox for its extensions.

• Sad 1

I use Firefox as the primary browser, but extremely seldom used it uniterrupted for half an hour. But never seen the behaviour you describe, as far as I can remember.

Is it a recent thing? It was just updated 16h ago on mine, to 68.4.2 . So could be a fixed bug (Or a recently introduced one)?

So not much help from here, sorry.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, MickH said:

I'm finding it almost grinds to a halt after about an hour of browsing. The screen refresh starts to lag horrendously and the screen doesn't register taps.

I don't think it's an issue with the Pro1, I'm guessing it's more than likely Firefox itself.

I am also using Firefox with my Pro1 but I am not usually keep it open, so 1 hour of continuous browsing is not typical for me.

Maybe I have also experienced this anyway, I just remember closing the app and open it again but I did not really care of it.
I have experienced to have a dark (maybe gray) screen in some circumstances in Firefox where I should press back button to current web page to show up, maybe it happens after I download something.

• Thanks 1

I use Firefox on my Pro1 and have also not seen this.  Also not tending to use it that long. 

However, I am trying out Brave as I have found one peculiarity with Firefox that I do not experience with Brave.  This didn't used to happen, but recently I have had trouble logging in to the F(x) Tec forum and one other forum,  What happens is that when I go to log in, the "accept cookies" dialog pops up.  When I dismiss it by saying okay, I get a login failed error.  If I fill in email and password first and then okay cookies, the login also fails.  All combinations fail.  I can't log in.  This didn't use to happen, but if it were happening to everyone, I would expect more complaints. 

Anyone else see this with Firefox?  Any ideas of what it could be on my end?

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, MickH said:

I've had an equivalent effect on Linux while reading mangas on the same website for hours. Basically, Firefox never freed the memory it used on this website, so each page ended up increasing the amount of RAM used. I just ended up solving it by copy/pasting the URL into a new Firefox session from times to times. I've not done that in a long while, so I can't tell you if the problem has been fixed through updates or not.

• Thanks 2
7 hours ago, MickH said:

Opera browser is no problem at all, but I prefer to use Firefox for its extensions.

Did you try any RAM tester? Sounds like memory issue.

1 hour ago, Raksura said:

I've had an equivalent effect on Linux while reading mangas on the same website for hours. Basically, Firefox never freed the memory it used on this website, so each page ended up increasing the amount of RAM used. I just ended up solving it by copy/pasting the URL into a new Firefox session from times to times. I've not done that in a long while, so I can't tell you if the problem has been fixed through updates or not.

On desktop it's kinda normal, I restart my firefox every few days to resolve this otherwise it eats all of my 24gb ram... On android firefox will get killed if it's doing that in the background so it's not as much of an issue (in normal use).

• Thanks 4
20 hours ago, Hook said:

I use Firefox on my Pro1 and have also not seen this.  Also not tending to use it that long. 

However, I am trying out Brave as I have found one peculiarity with Firefox that I do not experience with Brave.  This didn't used to happen, but recently I have had trouble logging in to the F(x) Tec forum and one other forum,  What happens is that when I go to log in, the "accept cookies" dialog pops up.  When I dismiss it by saying okay, I get a login failed error.  If I fill in email and password first and then okay cookies, the login also fails.  All combinations fail.  I can't log in.  This didn't use to happen, but if it were happening to everyone, I would expect more complaints. 

Anyone else see this with Firefox?  Any ideas of what it could be on my end?

And now everything is behaving properly for me with FireFox, so who knows.  😉

I ditched FireFox as soon as I discovered Brave for Android. I rarely use FireFox on Desktop, never on mobile. When I used it last, I remember thinking it was a bit of a memory pig......of course, I was running it on a device (Droid OG) with 256MB RAM running LineageOS with SD swap in 2015, so my experience may not have been typical in that regard. :P

That said, memory leaks in browsers are nothing new. Chrome desktop used to have one that made it all but useless after a few minutes if you had marginal amounts of RAM. I haven't used it lately to know if that's been corrected.

Edited by silversolver
7 hours ago, silversolver said:

I ditched FireFox as soon as I discovered Brave for Android. I rarely use FireFox on Desktop, never on mobile. When I used it last, I remember thinking it was a bit of a memory pig......of course, I was running it on a device (Droid OG) with 256MB RAM running LineageOS with SD swap in 2015, so my experience may not have been typical in that regard. 😛

That said, memory leaks in browsers are nothing new. Chrome desktop used to have one that made it all but useless after a few minutes if you had marginal amounts of RAM. I haven't used it lately to know if that's been corrected.

TBH firefox and chrome are memory hogs now they used to be good.  I'm going to give brave a try I think see if it holds up to been fast 😉

On 1/23/2020 at 10:34 AM, _DW_ said:

TBH firefox and chrome are memory hogs now they used to be good.  I'm going to give brave a try I think see if it holds up to been fast 😉

That's what I'm thinking myself. I use Firefox for the extensions. But I've discovered Firefox Focus and Firefox Klar, so I'm going to give those a try.

On 1/22/2020 at 2:12 AM, Raksura said:

FWIW on the desktop, you can close Firefox, then go to Alt > History > Restore Previous session on the desktop to restore all the tabs.

I have been using Fennec Android (F-Droid Firefox build) on my Pro1 and I've opened it, browsed imgur for more time than I'd care to admit (1-? hours), then put the device down, gone about my day, and come back to it to find that nothing amiss had happened. FF does like to drink RAM juice but if you install the uBlock Origin and (for the disciplined masochists) addons, you get good and great memory savings, respectively.

I've not tried FF preview yet since it does not support most addons on Android yet.

• Like 1