What does the Sym key do?

16 hours ago, Hook said:

As of version 1.5.2, SYM in Finqwerty wakes the phone when the screen has timed out without having to reach in back.  Google Play doesn't always have the latest version of Finqwerty.

https://github.com/anssih/finqwerty/releases

I have 1.5.3 and it doesn't work on QWERTZ when the screen is turned off.

Edited by kontakt
Just now, kontakt said:

I have 1.5.3 and it doesn't work on QWERTZ.

Sorry, yes, I have Qwerty.  Check the keymap(s) for QWERTZ to see if he put it somewhere else.  If not you can email him and ask him about implementing it. 

This is why we had either a signature or could do what Eske was able to do with having profile info sow up under the username-- It would be nice to see what configuration someone who asks or answers a question has.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Hook said:

Sorry, yes, I have Qwerty.  Check the keymap(s) for QWERTZ to see if he put it somewhere else.  If not you can email him and ask him about implementing it. 

This is why we had either a signature or could do what Eske was able to do with having profile info sow up under the username-- It would be nice to see what configuration someone who asks or answers a question has.

I unfortunately can't acces the kcm files linked on github: https://android.onse.fi/finqwerty/kcm/
I filed a bug report on github.

Edited by kontakt
2 minutes ago, kontakt said:

I unfortunately can't acces the kcm files linked on github: https://android.onse.fi/finqwerty/kcm/
I'm filing a bug report.

This source should be up to date:

https://android.onse.fi/finqwerty/

I just meant checking out the maps, not the actual kcm files. 

Edited by Hook
1 hour ago, VaZso said:

You may find them here.

Thanks.
USA has 
# orig SYM but SYM does not do anything at the moment
# so use as back/wakeup for now
map key 249 WAKEUP

And it's missing in QWERTZ

35 minutes ago, lameboyadvance said:

...Is it possible to use custom KCM files? Being able to custom define our own layouts would be the only thing that could make it even better.

Currently there isn't an option for that and I don't know about other solutions to do it without rooting.

However, I have not tried it, but I think if you download FinQwerty's apk, and modify the appropriate .kcm file in this archive and install it directly instead of the original application, it should work.

...or if you make your own build like I did.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, VaZso said:

Currently there isn't an option for that and I don't know about other solutions to do it without rooting.

However, I have not tried it, but I think if you download FinQwerty's apk, and modify the appropriate .kcm file in this archive and install it directly instead of the original application, it should work.

...or if you make your own build like I did.

I have been in dialogue with @Anssi Hannula on this, and As I understood it, the kcm-files must be part of the APK, he is not allowed to generate or load them dynamically. I did not get the details, but I guess it could be it is a requirement from the Android Market, and thus a political and not a technical obstacle.

• Like 1

Thanks to the creator of FinQWERTY that adds its function.

There were work carried out regarding the SYM key, that user can define 12 symbols and will bring up the selection box in text input when SYM is pressed. (Like attached)

But then team is busy fixing all the bugs, and the development was postponed until the nasty bugs are squashed, which we are still working on.

I will do best to continue the development of this feature!

Capture44.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

@Waxberry a bar at the bottom of the landscape screen would probably be easier to reach.

Are there any plans to change the default keyboard layout to type alpha to allow predictions and sticky keys. See discussion here: https://github.com/anssih/finqwerty/issues/6#issuecomment-578507816

Edit: Can we get a public bugtracker to know that all bugs are properly reported and organized?
The known bugs post is getting out of hand.

Edited by kontakt
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Waxberry said:

Thanks to the creator of FinQWERTY that adds its function.

There were work carried out regarding the SYM key, that user can define 12 symbols and will bring up the selection box in text input when SYM is pressed. (Like attached)

If the 12 is not something locked by android but within your control, it would be SUPER elegant, if you rather than twelve had one for each of the letter&symbol-keys so we pressing the Sym had a staggered keyboard map pop up, and then pressing say the M got what ever symbol we put there. (Optimally with the HW-printed letter&symbols in faint small print, and the symbols in clear print in this helper display)

If Sym was used as a modifier with the M, we could have the symbol directly without the helper screen popping up.

And this system could be expanded to allow Sym+modifier keys. Allowing us to have BUNCH of symbols right at our fingertips, with helper display.... That would be just AWESOME!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
On 1/27/2020 at 5:05 PM, EskeRahn said:

If the 12 is not something locked by android but within your control, it would be SUPER elegant, if you rather than twelve had one for each of the letter&symbol-keys so we pressing the Sym had a staggered keyboard map pop up, and then pressing say the M got what ever symbol we put there. (Optimally with the HW-printed letter&symbols in faint small print, and the symbols in clear print in this helper display)

If Sym was used as a modifier with the M, we could have the symbol directly without the helper screen popping up.

And this system could be expanded to allow Sym+modifier keys. Allowing us to have BUNCH of symbols right at our fingertips, with helper display.... That would be just AWESOME!

That seems like a very nice idea for people who need many symbols.  If only Steve Jobs would have taken that approach rather than going for the virtual keyboard. :-/

• Like 1
On 1/27/2020 at 11:05 PM, EskeRahn said:

SYM as modifier key is definitely possible. That's a great suggestion!

Making the staggered pop-up will require we make a custom Input Method, something I'd love to but will pose a huge cost... So maybe when we get bigger.

But making Sym key as a edible modifier sounds great and achievable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
11 minutes ago, Waxberry said:

SYM as modifier key is definitely possible. That's a great suggestion!

Making the staggered pop-up will require we make a custom Input Method, something I'd love to but will pose a huge cost... So maybe when we get bigger.

But making Sym key as a edible modifier sounds great and achievable. 

As a cheaper solution than making a new input method, perhaps we could let UIOP, JKL....  match the twelve. That is Sym+U would match the top left symbol etc. 🙂