Slider wobble/clatter/rattle/click when tapping on the screen when slider closed

Compare to the video tapping the screen on your Pro 1 when slider is closed  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Compare to the video tapping the screen on your Pro 1 when slider is closed

• My one has no clatter at all
    • My one has a clatter, but not as bad as in video, acceptable to me
    • My one has a clatter, about the same (or worse) as in video

56 minutes ago, fredrick said:

The nokia n97 did not have that problem at all. Don't know about the n97 mini though.

One of the n97 trailers from nokia has a tech guy showing off the "click" and "clack" noises that the phone makes when opening and closing it. 🙂

E.g. the E7 had four rubber 'feet' between the two halves that did this.

• Like 2
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

See the easy fix I've shown at almost the bottom of this https://eskerahn.dk/?p=3651 Simply take a rougly 5x20mm piece of self adhesive felt.

I agree that it is normal.... but certainly not that it is how it should be..... Luckily there is a VERY easy fix, as described above, It was one of the first things I did when I got my hands o

That's completely normal and it's exactly how it should be. As the hinge is based on two parts which aren't symmetrical, certain angles will make more of this noise.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, John Veness said:

A nice side effect of this is that it also makes the bang when you open or close it a little quieter!

(I wanted to add more pics but the 2 MB limit seems to apply even if you add multiple posts‽)

You can get some self adhesive felt/velour that is thinner. E.g. used in jewel-boxes. e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223087344986

And yes, applying at the corners gives a more swoof than clang sound. When you have those four I would suggest adding two more in the middle, so it is more firm 'squeezing' in the hand.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

You can get some self adhesive felt/velour that is thinner. E.g. used in jewel-boxes. e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223087344986

And yes, applying at the corners gives a more swoof than clang sound. When you have those four I would suggest adding two more in the middle, so it is more firm 'squeezing' in the hand.

Is there any reason not to try using rubber instead of felt, that you can think of?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, david said:

Is there any reason not to try using rubber instead of felt, that you can think of?

Only that I do not know where to get it just as thin/soft. 🙂 But sure should technically be expected to be more durable, and easier to keep clean.

ADD: I already ordered some 1mm neoprene adhesive, but it has not arrived yet, so do not how good/bad it would work. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223689641795

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Only that I do not know where to get it just as thin/soft. 🙂 But sure should technically be expected to be more durable, and easier to keep clean.

ADD: I already ordered some 1mm neoprene adhesive, but it has not arrived yet, so do not how good/bad it would work. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223689641795

Yeah, I was wondering about the proper thickness too.  Any idea how thick your felt is?  

That neoprene looks like a nice way to do it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, david said:

Yeah, I was wondering about the proper thickness too.  Any idea how thick your felt is?  

That neoprene looks like a nice way to do it.

The self adhesive felt is about 0.50mm (EXCLUDING the wax-paper it delivered on)

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

The self adhesive felt is about 0.50mm (EXCLUDING the wax-paper it delivered on)

I'll probably wait for your neoprene experiment and go that route if it works well for you.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, altwouss said:

My screen seems to rattle when the keyboard is folded out. It's the first thing I noticed after I am finally done applying a screen protector.

Is that the same rattle?

That doesn't sound like the rattle I'm describing, so you may have a different problem.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, altwouss said:

My screen seems to rattle when the keyboard is folded out. It's the first thing I noticed after I am finally done applying a screen protector.

Is that the same rattle?

I think what you are describe is what I thought was originally meant with the small support arm. Try and close it on a thin piece of paper, touching the support arm. if that changes the sound, you nailed the culprit.

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, david said:

I'll probably wait for your neoprene experiment and go that route if it works well for you.

Will report. But I fear the 1mm is too thick, unless it is very soft. (I ordered it for experimenting with self adhesive bumpers)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I think what you are describe is what I thought was originally meant with the small support arm. Try and close it on a thin piece of paper, touching the support arm. if that changes the sound, you nailed the culprit.

I have opened a separate topic for my issue with a video. However, the issue seems to originate in the right arm. I will try and see if the support arm is involved.

The support arm doesn't seem to have any out of place movement at all, I did just now notice that the right part of the screen does not contact the standoff that seems to be designed for the screen to rest on.

Edited by altwouss
On 1/27/2020 at 4:42 PM, _DW_ said:

yeah definitely didn't have the problem on the n97

mine is same as in video

I spoke too soon though.

Got my phone yesterday, then went and got my old n97 from the basement. They both have the same issue. A small gap. And i actually remember the extra noise noise the phone made each hard tap i made.

Were can one get that felt tape? Any recommendations? (I live in sweden)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tested this just now on my new phone.  It was barely there.  Then I realized that my P20 Pro TPU case is acting as a bumper for this purpose, so the screen doesn't contact the keyboard when tapping.  If I peel back the case a bit on one corner, then it does make a louder noise.  Hard to tell if it is as much as the video or not.  I'd say similar or less.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, fredrick said:

I spoke too soon though.

Got my phone yesterday, then went and got my old n97 from the basement. They both have the same issue. A small gap. And i actually remember the extra noise noise the phone made each hard tap i made.

I spotted mine the other week my son was messing with it i'll have to see if he remembers where he put it

5 hours ago, fredrick said:

I spoke too soon though.

Well ebay is the easy choice "Self adhesive felt"
But for a physical store I would ask somewhere they sell either a DIY-stuff, silverware, jewels or furnitures, as it is often used in drawers for cutlery or jewel boxes. (though here often in red or green)

• Thanks 1

Already bookmarked me some 0,5mm silicone tape in case ever get my device 😆 I would rather use something with a closed surface that is less likely to accumulate particles.

It seems to be an easy fix that should be implemented at the production level for future runs. Just look at the E7 some more. That one didn't rattle so fxtec can get there too.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, OliverTypes said:

Already bookmarked me some 0,5mm silicone tape in case ever get my device 😆 I would rather use something with a closed surface that is less likely to accumulate particles.

It seems to be an easy fix that should be implemented at the production level for future runs. Just look at the E7 some more. That one didn't rattle so fxtec can get there too.

Have you got a link by any chance 🙂

9 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I just ordered some of these

Found it on USA ebay too.  Same source, however, so still a long delay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Silicone-Rubber-Strip-Self-Adhesive-Seal-Gasket-300x10-20-30x0-5-1-2-3mm/333378056295

I'm plan on putting these on my phone case.  They might also work for dampening the noise of the phone when opening.  

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Grips-Clear-Hexagons/dp/B07DD5XRXF

Edited by david
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

My pro1 just started doing this yesterday.  I had to work on some machines underneath; When I went down and got on my knees, I heard a slight crack noise but didn't think anything of it.  Well, not I know what it was.  Part of me.. heck, ALL of me does not think this is by design.  It's putting me off on the build quality, as if the software couldn't be hassle enough sometimes.  I guess you must REALLY want a keyboard to put up with this phone.