Rattle with the slider opened.

After just unboxing and first applying a screen protector to the phone. The moment came to finally open it up.

Unfortunatuly I was immediately suprised by the rattle of the screen, while being opened.

While filming I had some issues reproducing with one hand. But at around 30 seconds, you can see barely any movement is neccesary for the rattle to occur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcQrrjJxNFE

Does any one else experience this issue?

Edited by altwouss

You can hear it well throughout the video.

Look on the back to find out the source of the rattling. Maybe tightening a screw will solve it, or maybe one of the 'plates' that open and close the phone have a broken pin or got loose. I could imagine that there is an easy fix for that.

@Erik: don't tell us that this is normal!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, SchattengestaIt said:

You can hear it well throughout the video.

Look on the back to find out the source of the rattling. Maybe tightening a screw will solve it, or maybe one of the 'plates' that open and close the phone have a broken pin or got loose. I could imagine that there is an easy fix for that.

@Erik: don't tell us that this is normal!

The connection to the screen on the right side has alot more movement room than the one on the left. The left side has a really small movement, and the sound from that is barely noticable when having my ear next to it. The one on the right however, seems to have alot of movement and creates the very noticeable sound.

Edited by altwouss
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Could you make a video of it when you have time? Since I haven't received mine I can't really relate what you are describing.

Also, it would allow direct comparison for other owners of the Pro 1.

Well, it's visible in an angle thats really hard to film while holding and moving the phone. And the movement is less than 1mm, so it is very hard to see without a high definition view.

1 hour ago, schmittlauch said:

I don't really have this issue or it's barely noticeable in comparison, that's why I posted the video.

Edit: Here is a picture, the part that has movement is the contact point between the screen and keyboard.

IMG_20200127_214455539.jpg

Edit2: I have an additional photo, that probably shows why the rattle is on the right side. The movement seems to be expected, but the screen is not stopped from moving when the phone is folded out on the right side.

IMG_20200127_223751803.jpg

Edited by altwouss
32 minutes ago, epninety said:

I found the same issue. Not especially annoying, but noticeable.

It does seem that it's not the same each time I open the phone, so it's possible it might get better with use if, for example, the travel distance of the hinge isn't well controlled?

Do you experience the rattle while typing? I find that it's very audible and will not allow me to silently type notes during a meeting.

3 minutes ago, altwouss said:

Do you experience the rattle while typing? I find that it's very audible and will not allow me to silently type notes during a meeting.

If you got haptic feedback active for touch typing, the vibrator is enough to have the small support arm rattling a bit, a simple piece of self adhesive felt is all it takes.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

If you got haptic feedback active for touch typing, the vibrator is enough to have the small support arm rattling a bit, a simple piece of self adhesive felt is all it takes.

No the problem occurs while I type using the keyboard. Have not gone trough any further with the installation yet. 

Does your screen rattle like in my linked video while you are typing on the physical keyboard? 

Also I'm not sure if the felt would work, it seems the bumper is too short to stop the movement. Placing felt at that spot would be very visible. 

Edit: Also, the support arm does not feel like a problem in my case, there is no abnormal movement for the small arm, only really noticeable for the location in the picture with the circle. 

Edited by altwouss
54 minutes ago, altwouss said:

No the problem occurs while I type using the keyboard. Have not gone trough any further with the installation yet. 

Does your screen rattle like in my linked video while you are typing on the physical keyboard? 

Also I'm not sure if the felt would work, it seems the bumper is too short to stop the movement. Placing felt at that spot would be very visible. 

Edit: Also, the support arm does not feel like a problem in my case, there is no abnormal movement for the small arm, only really noticeable for the location in the picture with the circle. 

Ah, sorry. Misunderstood. Had than on preproduction, and another strategically placed piece of adhesive felt fixed that....

Just dipping its end in the groove (only this long to be easier to handle)

Seen from near the magnetic USB-plug, looking up under the partly opened display:

IMG_20200128_024002~01.jpg

• Thanks 2

@EskeRahn, is that the only location where you have the felt?  For some reason, I thought you had the felt where the back of the screen slams into the keyboard when it is opened.  I just now looked at mine and saw that there are rubber bumpers.  You may have mentioned them in the past, in your reviews, but I just forgot or didn't notice.  Or does your phone not have the bumpers?

As it pertains to @altwouss's problem, my screen sits firmly on the rubber bumpers when the screen is open.  Maybe something is just slightly out of alignment or bent or some part (the hinged arms) is longer or shorter than it should be?

Or maybe there is something wrong with the right spring on the bottom part of the phone and it isn't pulling that side of the hinge all the way forward as firmly as the other side?  Could something be lodged behind the right hand part of the hinge, on the bottom part of the phone, in the groove where it fits, preventing it from moving all the way forward?

Edited by david
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, altwouss said:

Not really, I only noticed it when tapping the touchscreen with the keyboard open. I spotted that the screen part hadn't reached the landing pad, as you did, but when I investigated further, found it didn't happen every time. It seems to be happening less often no, but maybe I'm kidding myself.

4 hours ago, david said:

@EskeRahn, is that the only location where you have the felt?  For some reason, I thought you had the felt where the back of the screen slams into the keyboard when it is opened.  I just now looked at mine and saw that there are rubber bumpers.  You may have mentioned them in the past, in your reviews, but I just forgot or didn't notice.  Or does your phone not have the bumpers?

As it pertains to @altwouss's problem, my screen sits firmly on the rubber bumpers when the screen is open.  Maybe something is just slightly out of alignment or bent or some part (the hinged arms) is longer or shorter than it should be?

Or maybe there is something wrong with the right spring on the bottom part of the phone and it isn't pulling that side of the hinge all the way forward as firmly as the other side?  Could something be lodged behind the right hand part of the hinge, on the bottom part of the phone, in the groove where it fits, preventing it from moving all the way forward?

The lower edge of the screen lands on two rubber bumpers, yes.

On the Final sample I got these two pieces in the grooves. On the Retail unit only the one in the groove for the support arm. For the early pre-production unit I got he two in the grooves, and six at the corners and roughly mid-sides.

2 hours ago, epninety said:

Not really, I only noticed it when tapping the touchscreen with the keyboard open. I spotted that the screen part hadn't reached the landing pad, as you did, but when I investigated further, found it didn't happen every time. It seems to be happening less often no, but maybe I'm kidding myself.

Wel if you watch the link, around 30 seconds in is the best view of my first experience. I barely moved the phone and experienced the rattle. But you could compare the sound. 

the right part of my screen does not touch the landing pad either, it´s exactly as in the picture above. But I don´t have that rattle when typing, only when i shake the phone up- and down quickly. (just did that only to verify the posted issue).

only when I hit the keys unnaturaly with my thumbs i can get the rattle to occur while typing, but usually i don´t even lift my thumbs from the keyboard while typing..

I expect the rattle to change over time, either through wear or debris which makes the movement harder, not sure if it will become worse or better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Noir said:

the right part of my screen does not touch the landing pad either, it´s exactly as in the picture above. But I don´t have that rattle when typing, only when i shake the phone up- and down quickly. (just did that only to verify the posted issue).

only when I hit the keys unnaturaly with my thumbs i can get the rattle to occur while typing, but usually i don´t even lift my thumbs from the keyboard while typing..

I expect the rattle to change over time, either through wear or debris which makes the movement harder, not sure if it will become worse or better.

That's a big difference, the rattle starts while barely moving the phone. I think the screen is balanced in such a way it's exactly at the tipping point and that's moving it in its screen socket (as that is where the sound is coming from). 

It was so bad, I did not finish the install and put it back in the box.

Waiting for a response from support now. 

4 hours ago, peter.s.fidelman said:

I have the same issue where the right side of the screen does not contact the standoff/bumper, meaning it rattles if the phone is moved around with the slider opened.

It does not sit firmly on the bumper like @david's.

I'm glad others have seen it and it isn't just me.

@altwoussplease let us know what you hear from support!

You jinxed me, @peter.s.fidelman.  My right side now sits above the bumper.  However, in your defense, I noticed it first thing this morning.  I don't know why I didn't notice it last night.  And I don't know why it started doing that.  I guess when I get my adhesive rubber tape, I'll put some on the back of the screen where it touches the bumpers so that it will have bumpers on both halves of the phone and it will sit tight again.  The left side sits on the bumper.  The only thing I can think of is that I usually open it from the right side.

Duh, I just now realized that the left side has two points of contact between the bottom and top halves of the phone.  The right side only has the back support, not that extra front support.  So it would make sense that the right side wouldn't be as stable.  I wonder why it was designed like that?

I also found that my left side has a small piece of metal sticking up.  It almost looked like a wire with my naked eye, but under the camera, it seems like it is a metal tab that is part of some exposed metal piece.

image.png.c2b62ecda4340c6e56ecadc46d2ef0a2.png]

Zoomed in:

image.png.df9f95010c511812f71542a96fd52232.png

Here is the right side:

image.png.547c0ab783ef6b66542bd4f9c2506643.png

Anyone else care to share photos of those locations?  I'm a little concerned that something might be coming out of that left side that shouldn't be.

Apologies ahead of time to abielins.

Edited by david

This is part of the nature of this type of slider. If the screw is tighten you will not be able to open the slider.

I can show you a brand new Nokia E7 would do the same rattling, even it's much smaller in size (which in theory should rattle less) In fact no one would type with keyboard while shaking? 

Have been asked similarly in multiple times, it's the nature of this slider type, not quality issue.

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Waxberry said:

In fact no one would type with keyboard while shaking? 

Well a passenger in a car or bus on a poor road would. 😜

Actually here a keyboard would be much better to use than touch. But supporting the screen by two index fingers while typing eliminates the issue.

• Like 2