How to open/shut the Pro1/Pro1X

On 1/30/2020 at 7:39 PM, Craig said:

Give me a few more months, maybe I'll even start defending it too.

Someone reacted to this old message so it reminded me what I wrote back then.  And although now I'm good at opening it and can open it one handed, it's still not easy... but it's fine.  And I still miss having a slash key where it should be. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys! I know the subject of this thread won't be relevant to everyone, but we have had a few comments from customers who have been struggling to open and shut their Pro1... I just wanted

....And here another slow motion opening both the Pro1 and a flip case in one go by the lift front method. YouCut_20200123_155044091.mp4

This is a very satisfying thread.

Posted Images

Thank you for the videos.  I've had the phone for several months and still struggle to open it.  I can't even open it, using two hands, without dropping it.  It pains me to say this, but I've honestly given up on using the keyboard (which was the only reason I bought the phone).

Having had a Motorola Droid 1, 2, 3, and 4 with a QWERTY, I was so excited to see this and preordered and waited, and waited, and waited!  I just thought a keyboard was all I needed, I never thought about how I would get to the keyboard...

Also, this thing is slick!  Make sure you practice opening the phone over a pillow or a bed.  The slickness adds several levels of skill and complexity to the one handed opening.  Sorry to the the party pooper. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, FXWolfe said:

I can't even open it, using two hands, without dropping it.  It pains me to say this, but I've honestly given up on using the keyboard (which was the only reason I bought the phone).

Allow me to suggest to add a tiny piece of self adhesive high friction tape (like often seen on stairs) somewhere at the back edge. I placed it just over the fingerprint reader, so I can unlock and lift in a single movement with one finger. I previously in this thread posted a picture with a long piece. The length does not really matter.

1 hour ago, FXWolfe said:

Thank you for the videos.  I've had the phone for several months and still struggle to open it.  I can't even open it, using two hands, without dropping it.  It pains me to say this, but I've honestly given up on using the keyboard (which was the only reason I bought the phone).

Having had a Motorola Droid 1, 2, 3, and 4 with a QWERTY, I was so excited to see this and preordered and waited, and waited, and waited!  I just thought a keyboard was all I needed, I never thought about how I would get to the keyboard...

Also, this thing is slick!  Make sure you practice opening the phone over a pillow or a bed.  The slickness adds several levels of skill and complexity to the one handed opening.  Sorry to the the party pooper. 

The key for me, as is implicated in @EskeRahn's tape suggestion, is hooking the back edge,lifting slightly and only then pushing with your thumb while continuing to lift the back.  I can easily do this on a surface one handed.  I would never try one handed in mid-air, but is easy in midair if I use the other hand as the surface.

And, for the slickness, I put a matte black just slightly textured skin on the back,  Solves the slickness problem perfectly.

• Thanks 1
On 10/27/2020 at 10:23 AM, FXWolfe said:

Lmaooooo same here.

I actually got worse at it over time because I moisturize much better now and my hands are not as rough as they used to be. 

But hey, it got me excited for a phone enough to upgrade from my Priv which was barely functioning, so there's that.

I just wish it had a real case. Have been lucky enough so far to place it carefully on clean surfaces, but I would feel much better and more classy with a leather case.

Edited by Adrienspawn
5 hours ago, Adrienspawn said:

I just wish it had a real case. Have been lucky enough so far to place it carefully on clean surfaces, but I would feel much better and more classy with a leather case.

Would be cool with a dedicated case. But I think it is close to impossible less some compromises...

• As can be seen in other threads, some have created their 3D-printed cases, and though this for some is an ideal solution, for others the blocking the screen edges is an issue. (But for some even a bonus!)
  • Another possibility is a flip-case. Not ideal for all either, as we (obviously) need to flip it open to use the phone. Again for some acceptable, for others not.
  • Finally is the half solution (that is part of both the above) to only protect the lower half, And though better than nothing clearly not ideal either.
7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Would be cool with a dedicated case. But I think it is close to impossible less some compromises...

• As can be seen in other threads, some have created their 3D-printed cases, and though this for some is an ideal solution, for others the blocking the screen edges is an issue. (But for some even a bonus!)
  • Another possibility is a flip-case. Not ideal for all either, as we (obviously) need to flip it open to use the phone. Again for some acceptable, for others not.
  • Finally is the half solution (that is part of both the above) to only protect the lower half, And though better than nothing clearly not ideal either.

The case was meant to be included with preorders and then available for purchase, so I don't think it's too much to ask that we not be relegated to 3D-printing our own ugly ones. I'm not a designer but I don't see it being difficult. My preference is for OtterBox style. 

1 hour ago, Adrienspawn said:

The case was meant to be included with preorders and then available for purchase, so I don't think it's too much to ask that we not be relegated to 3D-printing our own ugly ones. I'm not a designer but I don't see it being difficult. My preference is for OtterBox style. 

The bottom part is straight forward, but the upper....

• 1 month later...

I have got an OtterBox for my N900, but don't use it as I find it moves about a hell of a lot when the phone is being used.

But as for opening the screen on the Pro1 I became quite proficient at opening it with one hand by just lifting the top of the screen slightly by inserting my finger nails into the gap and gently pushing the bottom of the screen with my thumb. This method worked with both left or right hand.

• Like 1
  • EskeRahn unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...
  • EskeRahn changed the title to How to open/shut the Pro1/Pro1X
  • 10 months later...

Hi please help me find out if the Pro1x (which I bought as used one) is OK or is damaged:

It looks very fresh and new, but the way it opens bothers me - because if I apply more force a little bit from downwards, then the hinge totally locks afte around 2 milimeters and will not go further - it will not open. The only way is to push 100% horizontally - the same plane as the screen. Then it opens OK. But if I push also a bit downward, then it locks. So I find it very hard to open by one hand, because I cannot push at all downward with my thumb.

So the question is: Do all units of this model have this behaviour, or is it just mine? 

Here is a video I just made when I show it: 
https://rumble.com/v2vptqg-fxtec-pro1x-opening.html

Edited by ColdCamel
added video link; more clear explanation
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, ColdCamel said:

The only way is to push 100% horizontally - the same plane as the screen.

This is wrong, please see the early entries in this thread.

Though it technically can be opened by a horizontal push, but PLEASE do not!
This is NOT an ordinary slider, so requires a little different push. Or you can simply lift the back edge.

The movement IS indeed odd at first. I usually compare it to riding a bike. Super hard to explain it in words, but once the body gets it, you can not understand how it could be hard in the beginning.

• Thanks 1

I saw many of these early entries, movies etc, but still I wasn't 100% sure if it is different or not. So you say it is wrong? Then I might just return this and buy another one....

In general it requires some of force to open, especially if I try to use one hand. Well it's not extra super hard, but definitely seems a bit harder than what I would image. I am not sure if this aspect is wrong too...

Edited by ColdCamel
6 minutes ago, ColdCamel said:

I saw many of these early entries, movies etc, but still I wasn't 100% sure if it is different or not. So you say it is wrong? Then I might just return this and buy another one....

In general it requires some of force to open, especially if I try to use one hand. Well it's not extra super hard, but definitely seems a bit harder than what I would image. I am not sure if this aspect is wrong too...

The problem is the direction of the push, you need to push down a little bit, and then follow the screen edge up in a curve.
I tried to describe it exaggerated here (the whole thing is just a few mm): Pro1_Open_sketch_TopView.png

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, ColdCamel said:

This certainly isn't an easy phone to open one handed.  I can do it, but usually don't for safety reasons (not wanting to accidentally drop phone 😄 ). The easiest method for opening the Pro1x (with two or one hand) in my opinion is to slightly lift the back the push the front with your thumb, letting the screen climb your fingers at the back.

Nothing in your video looks like a problem.  I don't think you have a defective Pro1x. But until you get used to it, it seems hard to do.  I struggled for a week when I got my Pro1 back in 2019.  Lol. Now it is so easy, I don't even think about it.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

The problem is the direction of the push, you need to push down a little bit, and then follow the screen edge up in a curve.
I tried to describe it exaggerated here (the whole thing is just a few mm): 

Exactly as I wrote - when I first push down a bit (so that I can easier apply the pushing force) then it locks and will not open. Or in best case (if it is more horizontal force than pushing down) then it almost locks, i.e. resists a lot, and I need to strongly push it through.

The only way to open my Pro1x is to push completely horizontally:

image.png.23be5f402b37120bbd87b13ca09e1dde.png

20 minutes ago, Hook said:

Nothing in your video looks like a problem.  I don't think you have a defective Pro1x. But until you get used to it, it seems hard to do.  I struggled for a week when I got my Pro1 back in 2019.  Lol.

But do you have the same effect as described above on EskeRahn's and my drawings? EskeRahn tells me to push down first (it is logical to have better force, as already described), but for my Pro1x it is the worst you can do, because you will lock it.

You can also see this on the video from 0:29 being locked for couple of seconds - i.e. as long as I push it. The same from 0:47 where especially there you can even hear a different click - it has locked as stubborn.

So @Hookare you saying that you have exact same effect on your phone? Your reply will very be helpful, much appreciated, because I need to know if I should return that phone and buy another used one, because I decided for Pro1x in order to have 100% properly working keyboard hinge. Thank you!

Edited by ColdCamel
1 hour ago, ColdCamel said:

So @Hookare you saying that you have exact same effect on your phone? Your reply will very be helpful, much appreciated, because I need to know if I should return that phone and buy another used one, because I decided for Pro1x in order to have 100% properly working keyboard hinge. Thank you!

The trouble with all of this is the differences in technique and the words we have to describe them. "Pushing Down" as I would interpret that instruction has never worked for me unless I am already slightly lifting the back, and pushing straight across (horizontal) has never worked for me unless I have slipped my fingernail under the front. In your illustration, you even show lifting, not just pushing horizontally. 

I learned to lift the back and push.   It is simple, even allows you to control the clack depending on how much you use the fingers in back to guide it, and can be done one handed.

It is a stiff hinge.  That is actually a good thing.

You clearly are able to open your Pro1x.  I think you simply need to pick the way of opening it you are most comfortable with and it will soon become second nature.

I just don't see from your video that there is anything wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Hookfor all your input, I will think about it, as you also do have your own issues.

So @EskeRahnyou say it is wrong, so when you <push down first> it doesn't lock but moves forward smoothely? I prefer to confirm that so I understand the situation here. Thanks!

24 minutes ago, ColdCamel said:

Thank you @Hookfor all your input, I will think about it, as you also do have your own issues.

So @EskeRahnyou say it is wrong, so when you <push down first> it doesn't lock but moves forward smoothely? I prefer to confirm that so I understand the situation here. Thanks!

Sorry if I'm not clear, but my point is that if you need to push hard, you are pushing in the wrong direction.
When you get to the point you say it locks, your finger shall follow the screen edge in its upwards motion. if you push purely horizontal you will actual hold down the edge (due to its slanted shape), preventing it from doing the arch it needs.

I made a principal sketch of the design here:

Pro1_Mechanism_0.5v2.gif

I should have made the top with slanted edges - but was too lazy...
The trick is to help it along its curve, without holding the edge down.

The initial downwards push, is to help the rear lift. It is not strictly needed, but makes the whole thing easier (erhmm: less hard)

But rest assured, that once your hands get into it, it is like riding a bike - super easy, muscle memory.

• Thanks 2

Oh.. thank you for this extra explanation and your animation is awesome - thanks to that now I think I understand what is going on:

Then it seems that everything is OK. Keeping the force pushed down will not go into opening, and I checked your concept that if after that I change direction to horizontal it will continue opening.

But it should mean that for you also if you only keep pushing down on your Pro1x you will have the same effect - you would lock the thing right after around 2 mm, like from 0:47 on my video. Could you please confirm that? (no video or drawings expected;) )

3 minutes ago, ColdCamel said:

But it should mean that for you also if you only keep pushing down on your Pro1x you will have the same effect - you would lock the thing right after around 2 mm, like from 0:47 on my video. Could you please confirm that? (no video or drawings expected;) )

Yup, You need to change direction, first a little down, then a little horizontal, and then raising up.

Idea:
Sit down in a sofa or on a bed (so dropping is not an issue). Hold it in one hand and try to follow the movement with the thumb, while the other hand lifts the display up by the back edge. Then your thumb can 'feel' the movement, repeat several times, and try with both hands.

BTW, unlike traditional sliders you do not need both hands, nor do you have to push symmetrically with both hands, if you want to use two. So one can push, and one can lift the back in the other end.

It is a very clever mechanism used on several Nokia phones 15 or so years ago. Much more sturdy and less prone to pocket lint than traditional sliders. And you get the tilted display when opened in one movement as a bonus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Idea:
Sit down in a sofa or on a bed (so dropping is not an issue). Hold it in one hand and try to follow the movement with the thumb, while the other hand lifts the display up by the back edge. Then your thumb can 'feel' the movement, repeat several times, and try with both hands

That was actually a great idea, now I got the movement! Thanks:) 

Thank you all, it was all very helpful! And now finally I am glad to have a working keyboard:) So I will proceed to the rest in the following days:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1