SD cards not being recognised

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lineage should support ext4 for sdcards.  I expect I'll add exFAT support at some point now that Microsoft has opened up the patents.   Unfortunately, I doubt you'll see exFAT on stock anyti

Even if the card was too big/wrong format/wrong block size (etc) I think it would at least know that an SD card had been inserted.  My phone isn't even detecting that there's an SD card in place.

Check what format they have? Currently pro1 cannot read exFat

Posted Images

🤔 So I formatted my SD and everything was fine and dandy all day and then the Pro 1 told me the card was not compatible and had to be reformatted. Did so, then the card would no longer be recognized. My Mac can't read it either.

Is it the card? Is it the card socket? Did the phone bust the card? Not really happy to try again with known working cards, will likely order a cheap one to experiment with.

Oh, and that card tray? That needs a push-pin redesign, I'm running out of fingernails here…

• Like 2
1 hour ago, OliverTypes said:

🤔 So I formatted my SD and everything was fine and dandy all day and then the Pro 1 told me the card was not compatible and had to be reformatted. Did so, then the card would no longer be recognized. My Mac can't read it either.

Is it the card? Is it the card socket? Did the phone bust the card? Not really happy to try again with known working cards, will likely order a cheap one to experiment with.

Oh, and that card tray? That needs a push-pin redesign, I'm running out of fingernails here…

You can generally assume that if the card does not work in two separate devices, the issue is with the card.  But if it works in one device but not another, the issue is with the device.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

If I understand correctly under stock android, we need to format large SD cards (e.g. larger than 32GB) in fat32 not exFAT? which method do you recommend for this? Using PowerShell? Ease US?

I cannot do formatting with the app SD manager. It mentions the SD card is not inserted. However under settings > Storage > SD card, I can see the general info about the SD card. 

When I connect the phone to a laptop, only the internal memory is displayed.

Edit (now that I understand a bit better about the whole thing): I had probably selected the option to treat the card as adaptive internal storage when setting up the phone in the first days (I cannot remember this). This is probably the reason why it did not show up as separate external SD in apps or on the computer. But I could see it under settings>Storage.... And I should not have removed it as some apps were installed on it!

Edited by OKSun

I've never ever had to format an SD card (Windows, Android/Lineage. Linux), even when passing the card between platforms.  This includes the Pro1. I just insert the card and away I go.  I'm not a technical person, but have just assumed they come ready for FAT32, but I don't really know.  This is just my experience.

7 hours ago, OKSun said:

f I understand correctly under stock android, we need to format large SD cards (e.g. larger than 32GB) in fat32 not exFAT? which method do you recommend for this?

My understanding is that if stock doesn't recognize the formatting, it offers to format for you.  That would be the easiest way...

Thanks.

The whole thing is a bit confusing.

200 GB Sandisk ultra SD Card:

I did reformat the external SD card on my computer as exFAT (the option proposed by windows, hopping that then I can do the required formatting on the phone).

The phone did not react at all when I reinserted the external SD (probably did not even detect it).  The card is still considered as not inserted by SD card manager app. I do not see it in other file managers app such as FX or files. Maybe something is wrong with the card. It works on my computer as exfat.

I did not manage to convert it to FAT 32. I tried windows powershell and Ease US.

Test with another Sandisk 128GB SD Card;

I have done a test with another external SD 128 GB formatted as Fat32 (using Ease US). I inserted it in the phone. Then I was indeed asked by the phone how I intend to use the card.

I think this is the tricky part: I selected to use as internal phone storage. Then it was reformatted by the phone and it did not work (Or maybe I do not know how to look for the card under such a mode. It probably does not appear and is displayed as internal memory.)

I selected then the other option" transfer between files and computer". The card was reformatted again by the phone. And now everything works as usual for me:

The other apps such as SD card manager can access it. In FX it is displayed under media card.

On the computer I have the phone and the SD cards displayed as two separate drives.

I stop the tests here!

Edit:

I read some more on this: Info on how to choose between the two options (use as internal memory or as traditional externalSD): https://www.androidcentral.com/adoptable-storage

Edited by OKSun
On 8/4/2020 at 8:23 PM, OliverTypes said:

BTW I just ended up getting another 128 GB Sandisk and it works just fine.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, internationaltraitor said:

has anyone tried a 1tb sd card in the pro1? i just ordered mine. hopefully it works.

I am using a 512 GB micro sd card in my Pro1.

When you receive your card, I suggest you to test it before use with H2testw (Windows) or F3 (Linux) to ensure it works properly and it is not a fake card.

• Thanks 2
26 minutes ago, internationaltraitor said:

thank you, when i insert it into windows, to run the test, will windows give me an option to format to fat32 or should i let the phone format it first?  i read on a few threads where the phone should format it first in order not to give the phone any problems in reading it.

I think it is better to let the phone do it.

However, for testing, you may use any filesystems under Windows, but it is important to go through writing and also reading the whole SD card and check if everything were okay.

• Thanks 1
On 10/21/2020 at 3:44 PM, VaZso said:

It is not really important - you may reformat the card later.

Error creating file 'F:\1.h2w'.
(The media is write protected. Code 19)
Writing speed: 0.00 KByte/s
H2testw v1.4

this is what i get from the program you recommended... but the phone sees the sdcard and i formatted it through the phone.    but it looks like i can not copy to transfer files over to the sdcard from the computer.  it also says write-protected.
i tried to copy a video from my phone storage to the sdcard, it got stuck at 100% but nothing there to view.  and now the phone is just restarting every 2 minutes until i remove the sdcard.
and now when i stick it in the computer, windows is telling me there is a problem with it and should scan and fix it. 
but now the program you recommended is able to run the test, write and verify test.

Warning: Only 3398 of 1022349 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
0 KByte OK (0 sectors)
3.3 GByte DATA LOST (6959104 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
3.3 GByte corrupted (6959104 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000000000008
Expected: 0x0000000000000011
Found: 0x0000000000000000
H2testw version 1.3
Reading speed: 7.01 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

and now, this is what i get... i didn't do a whole test on the whole sd card, that would take like 5+hours.

Edited by internationaltraitor
1 hour ago, internationaltraitor said:

Warning: Only 3398 of 1022349 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
0 KByte OK (0 sectors)
3.3 GByte DATA LOST (6959104 sectors)

I think you have received a fake or faulty card...

As far as I read here, Pro1 should handle 1 TB cards, however, not all card readers are capable to handle such a high capacity, but I think a card reader which has USB3 connection should work.

It is not uncommon sending fake cards (cards which has a declared capacity much higher than its real capacity) by sellers, especially when the price is low.
However, it seems you can not write the card at all, even not in Pro1.

14 minutes ago, VaZso said:

cards which has a declared capacity much higher than its real capacity)

i mean, it does show in the pro1 that it is a 1tb card.  but it just doesn't write at all, either from computer or from the phone. 

i tried to format it with the RMprep program, and it shows its copying files from the computer, but it doesn't show in the sdcard after completion.  and with the h2testw program, it writes, but fails to verify every time.. 

Edited by internationaltraitor
26 minutes ago, internationaltraitor said:

i mean, it does show in the pro1 that it is a 1tb card.  but it just doesn't write at all, either from computer or from the phone. 

i tried to format it with the RMprep program, and it shows its copying files from the computer, but it doesn't show in the sdcard after completion.  and with the h2testw program, it writes, but fails to verify every time.. 

It seems the SD card is write protected somehow. Either because it is faulty or simply a fake card.
What was the price of it?

1 minute ago, internationaltraitor said:

definitely a fake card. $20 for a 1tb with A2 U3 v30 on it... thought i could get lucky and get away with it. 😆

Yes, it is definitely a fake card, the old trick of dishonest sellers... 

• Thanks 1